Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

death cob for cutie posted:

I kind of want to run a game with CE again; I actually kind of liked having to manage ammo and having a little armory, but I did Not like the last raid I played with it on, where a guy with a plasma sword drop podded into my bunker and immediately decapitated two of my guys with a monosword

I've been using Yayos combat with the ammo option. It's good enough for a little bit of ammo management and armory building but not overly excessive and it still works with other mods.

I tried LTS ammo but it wanted me to manually set every guns ammo so I went back to yayo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Heffer posted:

They named my 3 year old "Jerk".

Even the sweetest, best-natured 3 year old still deserves this name. It’s probably for the best that we mostly give our children their permanent names at or before birth now, instead of after having lived through their toddler years, or we’d probably have at least half the population named Jerk, Fucker, or God-Damnit.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
CE compatibility issues are sorta overblown, it's hard to find a mod of any real quality that needs patching that doesn't already have a compatibility layer integrated into CE. The list is extensive https://github.com/CombatExtended-Continued/CombatExtended/tree/Development/Patches. To me the main reason I like it is the armor system, the default Rimworld probability based setup works alright with a vanilla game but it's also pretty much tapped out in terms of diversity by the fairly small assortment of stuff in the base game, you can't really build anything more onto it without hitting issues where the formula sorta breaks and the dynamic range between no and max armor isn't all that big but yet pretty binary. The go-no go style of armor of CE is rather unforgiving the first couple games of it until you understand what you need in terms of weapons for various threat levels but the design space is a lot larger and more diverse. The whole real trajectory shooting is more 'correct' and it gets dumb things happening less often than the base game system but it's sorta less impactful overall.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Heffer posted:

They named my 3 year old "Jerk".

https://x.com/SadiqoJN/status/1070995854272675840?s=20

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

So best way to learn and figure out this game, pure vanilla with the expansions? The insane modding potential has me really wanting to get into it but I've never gotten a colony passed like 10 peeps, and now there's genes and ideologies and so much stuff

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Yeah more or less, there's a few QOL mods you might consider getting just for the sake of convenience but there's plenty to be going on with in terms of unmodded content.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

queeb posted:

So best way to learn and figure out this game, pure vanilla with the expansions? The insane modding potential has me really wanting to get into it but I've never gotten a colony passed like 10 peeps, and now there's genes and ideologies and so much stuff

pure vanilla with no DLC enabled, then enable the DLC one at a time

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I wouldn't say one at a time but it's still best to start small. You really need at least an unmodded run or three to know what you'd even want to mod, be it annoying UI elements or balance decisions you disagree with or what have you and you can just go and grab the QOL mod(s) that fix those like RimHUD and Allow Tool. And once you have the gameplay flow how you like it and you start getting bored of vanilla+DLC then that's the time you start throwing in the nuclear-launching bionic dinosaurs.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So if one wanted to do a 'raider' or 'bandit type of game, what mods would augment that sort of thing? I don't recall if it's vanilla or was part of VE: Medieval but I remember factions having external work camps, which was fun. Is there anything more that really augments this general theme/playstyle?

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
I think the work camps for you to raid come from the Ideology DLC. Likewise Ideology includes a lot of options to support and reward the raider lifestyle.
Before ideology, Vanilla Expanded Vikings had a bunch of quests to travel out and do, and also a storyteller that punished you for going too long without going on a raid.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SkySteak posted:

So if one wanted to do a 'raider' or 'bandit type of game, what mods would augment that sort of thing? I don't recall if it's vanilla or was part of VE: Medieval but I remember factions having external work camps, which was fun. Is there anything more that really augments this general theme/playstyle?

Either Giddy Up, Vehicles, or both add enormously to a raider game by dramatically extending your effective strike range instead of just having to sit around waiting for camp targets to pop up and also giving you cool mobility options in offensive combat. If you want to scale your colony over time from horse bandits to Mad Max bandits to space pirates, you can also throw SRTS on top and have an entire spectrum of vehicles chronicling your bandit camp's technological rise.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 6, 2024

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's cool as poo poo watching your pod team taking shots at the enemy outpost and then hearing the helicopter blades heralding the rest of the wrecking crew coming

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah the biggest thing a Raider colony needs is mobility, both for getting around faster with fewer supplies and to have enough carry weight to haul meaningful amounts of raw resources back home. The intended vanilla method are pack animals, ideally ones colonists can ride like horses or elephants (note that while riding animals on a map is a mod thing there's vanilla mechanics to account for it in caravans now, and if everyone is mounted you move at the mount's speed rather than the colonist's). If you're delving into mods then Vehicle Framework and all the things based off of it is an obvious extension of the idea. Beyond that mods are more for the theme(s) you're going for with your raiders; if you're doing a tribal faction you'll want any of the dozens of tribal-themed additions and maybe something like Giddy-Up to bravely ride your donkeys into battle, if you're doing mad max road bandits you'd want stuff like Nomad Scavenger, RImsenal: Feral Faction Pack, and Technical Vehicles.

A broader tip is to try and think of what sort of raiders pissed you off the most and then... do that. Vanilla camps and towns are pretty basic but it still never rarely hurts to have a firebomber to break enemy lines behind sandbags and such, a grenadier to quickly obliterate turrets, and so on.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The vanilla answer (well, Royalty answer) is to bend the knee to the empire and just raid everyone else, you jump in with psionics or drop pods and then you send everyone home on a shuttle. The empire shuttle has no carry weight restriction so you can literally strip the map clean, anything you want can come along. Bring home every Granite or Marble boulder too, why not

e: I like the caravan method too, though. If there are 3+ encampments near each other then I'll caravan out with animals, then strip the last encampment and shuttle out. Or maybe caravan out with my own trade goods, go trade somewhere, then hit a couple of encampments, then shuttle everyone home from the last one. Or psionic jump everyone home if the shuttle is on cooldown, but then I don't get a bunch of free rocks

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 7, 2024

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I love alpha animals and giddy up together, especially since you can be weird ocular mutation raiders.

Back when dinosauria was a thing I would love riding the bigger raptors or rexes in.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

HelloSailorSign posted:

I love alpha animals and giddy up together, especially since you can be weird ocular mutation raiders.

Back when dinosauria was a thing I would love riding the bigger raptors or rexes in.

Dinosauria is a still a thing, and theres Biomes prehistoric.

Im sure you know though, I just like dinosaurs.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I discovered alpha animals back when something with dinosauria broke and I am stoked I can grab it again

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the vanilla weapons expanded mods work with Combat extended?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Dinosauria is a still a thing, and theres Biomes prehistoric.

Im sure you know though, I just like dinosaurs.
Biomes: Prehistoric is actually the successor to Dinosauria too, you don't need both. It adds some other stuff like prehistoric plants but it has mod settings to turn that off (or to *onky* have prehistoric lifr).

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Tankbuster posted:

the vanilla weapons expanded mods work with Combat extended?

Yeah, honestly these days pretty much every popular mod works with CE even if the mod author specifically says it doesnt because the CE team or a contributer will do a patch for it. Theres a pretty extensive list of mods they have done this for.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Is there a Jurassic Park Jeep for the Vehicles mod?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

you know what i've never tried any of the dinosaur mods but now i kind of really want to do that, thanks thread

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can you put lasers on the dinosaurs?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
how do the vehicles mods work with CE? honestly as fun as the vehicles are, I might just drop it for a VFE+CE playthrough.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I once set a scenario to start me with a tame triceratops and chromed her out with an animal bionics mod, she eventually even got a plasma cannon on her back. She was sacred to our ideology and eventually I bought her a mate though he stayed home and didn't get any chrome because honestly just having Sarah on our side was like having an I Win vs All button.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

The Lone Badger posted:

Can you put lasers on the dinosaurs?

I'm sure I saw a 'wearable turrets for animals' mod out there but I don't know if it's only vanilla turrets or what.

But if the mods align and are appropriately compatible it's conceivable that the right combination of mods will allow you to send T-rexes into battle firing lasers.

The real trick is for your dinos to close the gap though, they don't have the various tricks pawns can get but if they actually get up close some serious poo poo can result. Saw some hussar get thagomized by a right in the chest so hard I think the game wanted to be able to do a comedy 'each limb flies off in a different direction' animation because it was the only appropriate response.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Telsa Cola posted:

Yeah, honestly these days pretty much every popular mod works with CE even if the mod author specifically says it doesnt because the CE team or a contributer will do a patch for it. Theres a pretty extensive list of mods they have done this for.

Have they published guidelines for how the numbers are supposed to work, or is it still up to the whims of the modder writing the patch? Last I've heard half of the modifiers don't have any visible effect in-game and it's unclear why they exist in the first place - you can make assumptions based on their names but modifying them doesn't seem to change any results.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ok startign a game now, all expansions turned on but just playing on builder randy random. only mods i have on are rimhud, allowtool. going transhumanist as my thing

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

queeb posted:

ok startign a game now, all expansions turned on but just playing on builder randy random. only mods i have on are rimhud, allowtool. going transhumanist as my thing

Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life!

e; I have a Chaos Marine who has rejected chaos and is cutting about the place wearing a fez at all times

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 7, 2024

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Alright here's a bug (I think?) with Vehicles, I sent out a caravan of people in vehicles, on foot, and with some muffalos as well, because I got bored where I was and decided we're upping sticks and moving somewhere else. Anyway so the thing is that apparently only people in vehicles can eat and sleep on the road, everyone else just sits back and allows their need bars to deplete. I solved it by just deconstructing the couple of vehicles I had and we're all a normal caravan now, but until I decided to do that (Thankfully all the muffalos allowed me to juuuust stay within weight limits) I had to stop and camp to let people eat and sleep, and of course everyone spawning in with those bars at 0 meant everyone was mad as gently caress and it's not like the places I stopped had great amenities for everyone to efficiently recover.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Does anyone know of a good way to disable a xenotype from ever spawning? I tried xenotype control but either I missed a category or it doesn't completely stop independents from spawning with the xenotype.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Ms Adequate posted:

Alright here's a bug (I think?) with Vehicles, I sent out a caravan of people in vehicles, on foot, and with some muffalos as well, because I got bored where I was and decided we're upping sticks and moving somewhere else. Anyway so the thing is that apparently only people in vehicles can eat and sleep on the road, everyone else just sits back and allows their need bars to deplete. I solved it by just deconstructing the couple of vehicles I had and we're all a normal caravan now, but until I decided to do that (Thankfully all the muffalos allowed me to juuuust stay within weight limits) I had to stop and camp to let people eat and sleep, and of course everyone spawning in with those bars at 0 meant everyone was mad as gently caress and it's not like the places I stopped had great amenities for everyone to efficiently recover.

I've experienced this as well. I play with Dub's Bad Hygiene with the Thirst Bar enabled for animals. Did a long trek with a vehicle caravan and all my animals ended up dying of thirst. They wouldn't even drink when we stopped and rested. Even when I had bottled water in the caravan inventory.

:shrug: It sucks. Now I'm just mindful not to include animals when I'm doing a vehicle caravan.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kris xK posted:

Does anyone know of a good way to disable a xenotype from ever spawning? I tried xenotype control but either I missed a category or it doesn't completely stop independents from spawning with the xenotype.

Cherrypicker is probably the best way

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

no no no no no no

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Someone is gonna have to volunteer to move that corpse! Where's that least-favorite colonist...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Danaru posted:

no no no no no no

oh god i forgot it exploded

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
you better rescue that lil fella to a safe location

(then let him die)

imo an exploding boomalope should spread individually butcherable body parts rather than a single unified corpse

see also:a guide to animal carcass obliteration

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Danaru posted:

no no no no no no

Pictured: why building walls over your pipelines is recommended!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Oh man I’ve got adorable troodon haulers and rapidly breeding compys and this is just great. Also tamed a baby triceratops I’m going to raise up as a pack animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Big dinos have absolutely incredible hauling capacities, enjoy being able to caravan half a base around on a whim!