Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

hyphz posted:

This is one of the things that's dogged PF2e since it came out - that it gives the player a huge amount of choice, but too many of those choices are either irrelevant or have a single best option in practice.

The trick, though, is that even if you strip out all of the "bad" choices, you're still left with a pretty good game - probably one that's more balanced that most D&D alikes, including RAW 5e, and definitely clearer on PC capabilities.

It also inverses caster supremacy by having Fighter be the most broken class in the game, so there's that.

This I honestly agree with, having tried out the builder a few times, I sure do constantly come across points where it's like "Choose one of these!" and then presents me with a list of seven things I genuinely don't care about and can't imagine I ever would. Like not even one of them is the obvious good option, unless one of the options on the list is "Go pick from a different list."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

theironjef posted:

This I honestly agree with, having tried out the builder a few times, I sure do constantly come across points where it's like "Choose one of these!" and then presents me with a list of seven things I genuinely don't care about and can't imagine I ever would. Like not even one of them is the obvious good option, unless one of the options on the list is "Go pick from a different list."

Yea, there's those as well. If you have PF2e munchkins you'll find that every character has mysteriously adopted the Dwarven culture in order to take Unburdened Iron (you can wear heavy armor with no speed penalty) because it's so much better than other Ancestry feats..

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Oh, come on. Next you're going to tell me my 4e players aren't excited about playing sohei with radiant weapons. They're obviously fascinated by medieval Japanese monasticism.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
of the two i'd actually prefer the set of flavor/mechanical incentives from Pathfinder, because the idea of Dwarves as the setting's version of America, with a (presumably alcohol-serving) Dwarven McDonald's in every city and Dwarf Hollywood pumping out movies that everyone else in the world watches is pretty funny, while encouraging D&D players to be weebs is just redundant

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

hyphz posted:

This is one of the things that's dogged PF2e since it came out - that it gives the player a huge amount of choice, but too many of those choices are either irrelevant or have a single best option in practice.

The trick, though, is that even if you strip out all of the "bad" choices, you're still left with a pretty good game - probably one that's more balanced that most D&D alikes, including RAW 5e, and definitely clearer on PC capabilities.

It also inverses caster supremacy by having Fighter be the most broken class in the game, so there's that.

As I said, the choosing-between-ribbon-abilities aspect is definitely one of the system’s biggest problems. (The Remaster makes some improvements to skill feats, but the basic problem is still there.) Though one thing I do like is that while it has a lot of bad options, it doesn’t have a lot of trap options. There probably aren’t many players choosing Approximate/Eye for Numbers under the illusion that it’s likely to be useful.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

My group has been playing Kingmaker in PF2e and you don't HAVE to go for optimal builds, and it feels like there aren't nearly as many trap options as there were in previous versions.

The only real system flaw we've felt like we run into is that the numbers are a little too tightly bound, and you'll either wipe the floor with the enemy, or barely make it out without someone getting pasted with very little in between.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Silver2195 posted:

There probably aren’t many players choosing Approximate/Eye for Numbers under the illusion that it’s likely to be useful.

That’s the other side of the problem - the D&D3.5 style feat creep where the GM now has to remember that any PC without that feat can’t accurately estimate numbers. The Lost Omens books are terrible for this, technically making you take a feat to be allowed to ask the GM to remind you about in game facts you’ve forgotten.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

theironjef posted:

. Like not even one of them is the obvious good option, unless one of the options on the list is "Go pick from a different list."

This is a huge plus in my book and one of the biggest improvements from 5E.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Really? I think one obvious good option is better than 7 completely irrelevant options.

Hell, I think having NO options is better than that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I think what they're saying is that in PF2e if you don't like any of your options at level you can pick options from lower levels because damned near everything is a Feat.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

hyphz posted:

That’s the other side of the problem - the D&D3.5 style feat creep where the GM now has to remember that any PC without that feat can’t accurately estimate numbers. The Lost Omens books are terrible for this, technically making you take a feat to be allowed to ask the GM to remind you about in game facts you’ve forgotten.
This is one of those bad design elements that has popped up in nearly every system that allows for perks/merits/feats of any-kind. Where being reminded of in character knowledge is for some reason something that requires a character resource. I know there were a few feats like this in 3.5 and Wod, nad would bet money there is something like that buried in a 5e supplement.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

YggdrasilTM posted:

Really? I think one obvious good option is better than 7 completely irrelevant options.

Hell, I think having NO options is better than that.

Having one obvious optimal choice makes it a non-choice. Pf2 doesn't give you irrelevant options, you just don't have to worry about building a useless character because the gap between an optimized build and an unoptimized build is a lot smaller. You can actually pick things based on the character you want to make and not the math.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

For the record I was never concerned that pf2e characters are either over or underpowered or hard to keep balanced. A lot of level options are just boring and hard to care about is all, and that is a sort of bad design in and of itself.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Genuinely a tragedy, Jaquays was one of the great ones. It's a goddamn shame that her cohort is full of hateful liches instead of, you know, people with basic human decency, let alone tireless LGBTQ activism paired with high-end game design chops.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

hyphz posted:

It doesn't let you accurately estimate numbers, it just lets you do it poorly very fast. The feat/spell is awful hilarious.

quote:

Eye for Numbers
[one-action]
Feat 1
General Skill
Source Advanced Player's Guide pg. 206 2.0
Prerequisites trained in Society

You've learned to subitize, quickly estimating the number of items in a group with relative accuracy at only a glance. You immediately learn the number of visually similar items in a group you can see (such as coins, books, or people), rounded to the first digit in the total number. For example, you could look at a case of potion vials and learn that it held about 30 vials, but you wouldn't know that it was exactly 33 vials, how many different types of potions there were, or how many of which type. Similarly, you could look at a pile of 2,805 coins and know that there were about 3,000 coins in all. You can use this ability only on items that can typically be counted, so you can't use it on grains of sand or stars in the sky, for example.

In addition, when you attempt to Decipher Writing that is primarily numerical or mathematical, you gain a +2 circumstance bonus to your check.

quote:

Approximate
Cantrip
Range 10 feet; Area 1 cubic foot

Your magic quickly flows over an area to help you count and catalog. Name a particular type of object you are looking for within the area. You gain an instant estimate of the quantity of the chosen objects that are clearly visible within the target area. The number is rounded to the largest digit. For example, you could look at a pile of 180 copper coins, and you would learn that it held about 200 coins, but you couldn't determine there were exactly 180 coins.

The type of object you name can be as specific or general as you like—“dented copper coins” is as viable as “coins”—but the distinguishing features must be obvious at a glance, and the spell is automatically fooled by objects disguised as other objects. For instance, the spell would register copper coins plated in gold as gold coins, not copper coins.
Note: many cantrips improve at higher levels, not this one though.

The "power fantasy" behind this would be Rain Man, I guess? But this doesn't make you Rain Man. Or the kind of vampire that has to stop and count if someone throws seeds might think it would be handy, but it's not. It won't even help you win the "guess how many jelly beans are in the jar" contests.

It rounds to one digit, which is near useless at higher amounts. Suppose there is a pile of 1495 coins. The master approximator comes along and proclaims: "It is about 1000 coins." Somebody tosses another 10 on the pile. "It is about 2000 coins." Divide the treasure into 4 roughly equal looking piles, the counting sage confirms "They are each about 400 coins, it is equal" but any give pile could could have dozens of coins more than the one next to it.

So what does the cantrip/feat do? It very roughly estimates almost instantly.

People can still have "guess how many jelly beans are in the jar" contests but manual estimation takes more than 6 seconds. You can either make a random rear end guess instantly, or spend a minute being a try hard nerd who counts that the jar is x jelly beans tall by y jellybeans in circumference and therefor the volume must be near z -- and if you do it right your guess will be closer than the feat/cantrip guy.

Unless the GM is kind and goes as written this is dumb, you can estimate to within the nearest 10.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Reddit had a good story about this cantrip

"Years at wizard school have led to this moment.

Walking down the dirt road, fresh from battle. Covered in blood and gore, you and your party just want to make camp and tend to their wounds.

You're on fire duty; the barbarian said you had to find enough kindling to get a good blaze going.

You've never been outside before, you barely know what a stick is.

What did they think you did at wizard school?

See the sun? Look at trees? Touch grass?

Preposterous, you spent your time doing things that mattered, like transcribing all 17 volumes of Mongothor's Study of Elemental Magicks or cross-referencing the entire catalogue of the late 10th century output of the Arch-Wizard Caelian into one succinct treatise.

But, the barbarian told you that if you didn't find enough, about 10 sticks, you'd end up like the bandits about a half mile back.

So when you see a pile of 7 sticks, you breathe a sigh of relief.

You've prepared for this moment.

You dedicated weeks of your first year at wizard school perfecting this spell, knowing it would come in handy one day.

Exhale, center your spirit, form the gestures, and make reality bend to your will.

You tap into the knowledge gleaned from ancient tomes.

You wield the power of creation, delving into the fabric of the universe to glean meaning unknown to the common person.

You learn:

There are about 10 sticks.

Thank the gods, you'll live another day."

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

This is one of those bad design elements that has popped up in nearly every system that allows for perks/merits/feats of any-kind. Where being reminded of in character knowledge is for some reason something that requires a character resource. I know there were a few feats like this in 3.5 and Wod, nad would bet money there is something like that buried in a 5e supplement.

I don’t remember PF2 having a feat like that, though. Unless you count Eidetic Ear, which is for remembering exact sounds (and also being a more consistent performer) - weird and situational, yes, but I don’t think it’s meant to be a prerequisite for being reminded of things your character has already found out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don’t think cherry picking a silly cantrip is really illustrative that PF2 gives players no meaningful or interesting choices.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
They need to put arithmancy into PF2 and give you a bonus on your attempt to beat the digital root based on how many "count things up quickly" rules toys you've bought into.

EDIT: And the cantrip should give you one more digit of precision per spell level, such that a powerful wizard could quickly determine that a bundle contained 7.0000 sticks.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 10, 2024

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I don’t remember PF2 having a feat like that, though. Unless you count Eidetic Ear, which is for remembering exact sounds (and also being a more consistent performer) - weird and situational, yes, but I don’t think it’s meant to be a prerequisite for being reminded of things your character has already found out.
Okay fair. I haven't looked too far into PF2, I just remember it was an annoying thing that popped up in the past.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

They need to put arithmancy into PF2 and give you a bonus on your attempt to beat the digital root based on how many "count things up quickly" rules toys you've bought into.

EDIT: And the cantrip should give you one more digit of precision per spell level, such that a powerful wizard could quickly determine that a bundle contained 7.0000 sticks.

That way lies Sacred Geometry, and we don't talk about Sacred Geometry.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I used to play in a group where a guy would roll a handful of dice, played that one segment of Countdown against himself in about 15 to 30 seconds and then an enemy or two would disappear. I'm assuming that's Sacred Geometry.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

I worked with Becky a lot years and years ago when I was still in the video games industry. She's an incredibly awesome person and I feel so bad now.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

LashLightning posted:

I used to play in a group where a guy would roll a handful of dice, played that one segment of Countdown against himself in about 15 to 30 seconds and then an enemy or two would disappear. I'm assuming that's Sacred Geometry.

Yeah it's metamagic you get to apply for 'free' if you manage to use the dice you rolled to make an equation that matches the right numbers.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

bewilderment posted:

Yeah it's metamagic you get to apply for 'free' if you manage to use the dice you rolled to make an equation that matches the right numbers.

And of course there were calculators for it.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Silver2195 posted:

It doesnt Hyphz made it up. What I presume is the feat he is thinking of is one that gives you bonuses to making checks against creatures you've succeeded at in the past. RAW you don't learn all the details with a single check which ehhh....

Also, unburdened iron???? Seriously??? Like I don't deny it's a solid feat but I've never heard of it being ridiculously prevalent

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 11, 2024

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Hunter Noventa posted:

That way lies Sacred Geometry, and we don't talk about Sacred Geometry.

I mean, not within earshot of the uninitiated.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

bewilderment posted:

this is the best thing I've ever heard about Pathfinder

Hunter Noventa posted:

And of course there were calculators for it.

not this tho. this sucks

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

bewilderment posted:

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/sacred-geometry/

Holy poo poo who ever thought this feat was okay?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kurieg posted:

One of the main PF designers is supposedly a big Theosophy fan IRL.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
the intended use case for sacred geometry is for the gm to roll some dice behind the screen, spend a few seconds pretending to shuffle them around, then go "oh yeah the evil wizard is totally able to use a quickened empowered fireball with a 3rd-level spell slot"

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

theironjef posted:

Man way to kill your whole point, now everyone knows you didn't try a game and just tried to sneak in a nonfunctional dig against it anyway. Classes in 4e play wildly differently from one another, they just use a similar organizational structure. Why not go ahead and say "weeaboo fightin magic" or "tabletop WOW" while you're in there.

What a way to say you've no idea who the posters on these boards are. Huge 4e fan and defender here - and even currently running my own retroclone. I just don't think it's a flawless system. (I'll even defend the Slayer because I saw at my own table how much a player responded to the scout and the slayer when they'd been faffing round and getting confused with the pre-Essentials classes).

They in some ways play differently to each other. In others? You think the same way to play them and they use the same resource management. Structural similarity is an important type of similarity.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kurieg posted:

What, you don't want to pause the game while the wizard player does IRL math puzzles every round?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
That actually rocks lmao.

Would not be for like a long going campaign, but that seems like it'd be fun with like a group of wizards oneshot.

It's Educational :v:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

neonchameleon posted:

What a way to say you've no idea who the posters on these boards are. Huge 4e fan and defender here - and even currently running my own retroclone. I just don't think it's a flawless system. (I'll even defend the Slayer because I saw at my own table how much a player responded to the scout and the slayer when they'd been faffing round and getting confused with the pre-Essentials classes).

They in some ways play differently to each other. In others? You think the same way to play them and they use the same resource management. Structural similarity is an important type of similarity.

Fair enough, I'll retract and reevaluate why I'm so trigger happy on defense of my baby edition.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

theironjef posted:

Fair enough, I'll retract and reevaluate why I'm so trigger happy on defense of my baby edition.

Because it deserves it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dexo posted:

That actually rocks lmao.

Would not be for like a long going campaign, but that seems like it'd be fun with like a group of wizards oneshot.

It's Educational :v:

The lovely part is if you can't make the target number with the rolled dice, the spell is expended and you lose your turn.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
We all love 4th edition here and vie for its affection like high school students in a dating sim.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nuns with Guns posted:

We all love 4th edition here and vie for its affection like high school students in a dating sim.

4e was totally smiling at me in the hall. (I smelled its hair!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The jock lazylord smiled at me and Immediately attacked the guy at the next locker as a free action.