Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it was way more nuts before the civil war when the dixichuds openly beat the gently caress out of people

https://www.amazon.com/Field-Blood-Violence-Congress-Civil/dp/0374154775
i think we get a fight or a beatdown this year though.

We already have representatives (of the same party!) accusing each other of unwanted physical contact, it's just a matter of time

Did the Republican speakers remove the metal detectors and allow guns on the floor? We may enter the extremely cool zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it was way more nuts before the civil war when the dixichuds openly beat the gently caress out of people

https://www.amazon.com/Field-Blood-Violence-Congress-Civil/dp/0374154775
i think we get a fight or a beatdown this year though.

My money would be on an outright fight between MTG and Boebert.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Chabad boys, Chabad boys.

What you gonna do? What you gonna do when the goyim come for you?

Its like a microcosm of settler colonialism. So this starts with an internal dispute between factions of the Hasidic Chabad movement. Specifically between the mainstream group who own the building and the messianic faction. The messianic faction are much more concentrated in Israeli and involved in Israeli political movements, the people being arrested are religious school students, essentially the person an Israeli would point you to if you were to say pro settlement freeloader. They had been hollowing out the wall between two buildings to claim the abandoned basement next door and expand the synagogue. This being wildly inappropriate behavior, endangering the buildings structure and exposing it to legal liability. The building ownership decides to pump concrete into the void to stabilize the structure. The religious students decided to harass the concrete truck and smash down the wall fully (previously they used some small concealed access). The building ownership decides this is a bridge too far and calls the cops. Cops turn up and arrest them, several flee through the imperialism hole to a storm drain.

The funny thing is, it's likely this expansion would have happened eventually anyway, just with permits and proper construction work, as the basement is owned within the community.But the messianic faction put the law below their religious beliefs.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

haveblue posted:

We already have representatives (of the same party!) accusing each other of unwanted physical contact, it's just a matter of time

Did the Republican speakers remove the metal detectors and allow guns on the floor? We may enter the extremely cool zone

probably. i wouldnt be shocked if that happens. a couple of these clowns are always packing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1745168328811835550

Now that all votes are cancelled and the House is frozen for an indefinite period of time, the Peoples' House can get back to more important duties:

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1745170777115136057

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1745171206490235179

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 10, 2024

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
There are arguably a few other periods where congress was extremely dysfunctional, along with the pre civil war era, like maybe prior to Thomas Reed breaking the Democratic party quorum games at the end of 19th century, but the specific type of disfunction we have right now seems pretty unique in my estimation.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Randalor posted:

My money would be on an outright fight between MTG and Boebert.

who would win though? i feel like Marge would be able to use enviromental pick ups better but boebert is better with her hands and could dodge. so moutain vs the viper.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Gnumonic posted:

*In fairness to Heidegger I think he was more of a careerist coward who would have justified anything if it'd benefit him, but Schmitt was 100% a true believer.

If Heidegger wasn't a true believer, then he was at least a fellow traveler. His concepts of agrarianism and a return to simpler lives in simpler times grow from the same root of nostalgic mythology as every other regressive philosophy that plagued the 20th century.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

who would win though? i feel like Marge would be able to use enviromental pick ups better but boebert is better with her hands and could dodge. so moutain vs the viper.

Depends on if Boebert brought her gun that day. Otherwise Marge would probably snap her like a twig.

So Hunter left when she started talking earlier because he didn't want to hear her go on about the people's log? Because you know there would have been some uncomfortable Freudian slipups if he was still present.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 10, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
MTG does crossfit. If Boebert doesn't have a foreign object or an accomplice she's dead

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

MTG does crossfit. If Boebert doesn't have a foreign object or an accomplice she's dead

And it's not like her husband can just distract MTG by whipping his johnson out in public, since she's immunized herself by showing everyone all those salcious photos of Hunter Biden.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Someone hacked the SEC's official Twitter account in order to promote bitcoin.

Wild that government agencies don’t lock their comm channels behind authenticators.

Absolutely bananas.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Wild that government agencies don’t lock their comm channels behind authenticators.

Absolutely bananas.

It's quite possible they did but Twitter is such a poo poo show they got around it anyway. Probably just called them and asked them to take those off.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

New climate report:

- Despite significant economic growth and a record-setting amount of oil extraction in the United States, carbon emissions decreased last year.

- If the next 7 years see a rate of emissions reduction similar to this year, the U.S. is only on track to meet 40% of its carbon reduction goal by 2030.

- If two major methane rules currently being formed by the Biden EPA are allowed to be implemented AND the emission reductions from the IRA/bipartisan infrastructure law are close to the estimates, then the U.S. will get about 60% to 65% of the way to its carbon reduction goals by 2030 with no other changes.

- That still leaves another 35% to 40% to be achieved through other government policies, private sector changes, and technology improvements.

- If there is no government policy change, significant private sector/industry practice changes, or technology changes in the next 7 years, then it is unlikely that the U.S. will get more than 65% of the way to the goal.

- If the Biden methane rules go into effect and successfully reduce methane emissions from the oil and natural gas industry, then the sectors that will need the biggest efforts to decarbonize (through whatever means) in order to reach the goal by 2030 will be iron and steelmaking, cement manufacturing, and chemical production.

- Whatever changes happen in the next seven years need to average to about a 6% reduction in carbon emission per year to reach the goal. That is nearly triple the average of the last year and a difficult goal to realistically hit.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1745151278613762509

quote:

Carbon pollution is down in the US, but not fast enough to meet Biden’s 2030 goal, new report says

WASHINGTON (AP) — Climate-altering pollution from greenhouse gases declined by nearly 2% in the United States in 2023, even as the economy expanded at a faster clip, a new report finds.

The decline, while “a step in the right direction,’' is far below the rate needed to meet President Joe Biden’s pledge to cut U.S. emissions in half by 2030, compared to 2005 levels, said a report Wednesday from the Rhodium Group, an independent research firm.

“Absent other changes,″ the U.S. is on track to cut greenhouse gas emissions by about 40% below 2005 levels by the end of the decade, said Ben King, associate director at Rhodium and lead author of the study.

The report said U.S. carbon emissions declined by 1.9% last year. Emissions are down 17.2% from 2005.

To reach Biden’s goal, emissions would have to decline at a rate more than triple the 2023 figure and be sustained at that level every year until 2030, he said.

Increased economic activity, including more energy production and greater use of cars, trucks and airplanes, can be associated with higher pollution, although there is not always a direct correlation. The U.S. economy grew by a projected 2.4% in 2023, according to the Conference Board, a business research group.

Last year’s relatively mild winter and continued declines in power generation from coal-fired plants drove down emissions in the U.S. power and buildings sectors, the report said.

At the same time, transportation sector emissions rose, led by a continued rebound in airplane travel and increased gasoline consumption as road traffic returns to pre-pandemic levels, the report said. Higher domestic oil and gas production also led to a small increase in industrial emissions.

While carbon emissions declined overall, “some ominous signs also began to appear in 2023,″ the report said. Natural gas generation grew more than twice as fast as renewables in 2023, compared to 2022. And while solar installations were on track for another record year, installations of wind turbines were down compared to 2022 and 2021, the report said.

Rising construction and financing costs, along with supply-chain constraints and other issues, have cast doubt on wind power’s once-robust growth. Two large offshore wind projects were canceled late last year, jeopardizing the Biden administration’s goal to power 10 million homes from huge ocean-based turbines by the end of the decade.

Biden and congressional Democrats passed the most sweeping climate law in U.S. history in 2022, but effects of the law, known as the Inflation Reduction Act, are just beginning to be felt and are unlikely to have a significant impact on emissions for a few years, King said.

The climate law, passed with only Democratic votes, authorizes nearly $375 billion in tax credits and other incentives to spur investors to accelerate clean energy such as solar and wind power, speeding the transition away from the burning of fossil fuels such as oil, coal and gas that largely cause climate change.

Congress also passed a bipartisan infrastructure law in 2021, and the Environmental Protection Agency has issued rules and proposals to crack down on methane emissions and pollution from coal-fired power plants, among other actions. Coal, long a mainstay of the U.S. electric grid, made up only 17% of U.S. generation in 2023, a record low, the report said.

U.S. oil production, meanwhile, hit an all-time high in 2023, contrasting with Biden’s efforts to slice heat-trapping carbon emissions and conflicting with oft-repeated Republican talking points of a Biden “war on American energy.”

Methane leaks, along with venting and flaring of methane and carbon dioxide during oil and gas production and transportation, drove the bulk of industrial sector emissions increases in 2023, the report said. Rhodium estimates new EPA rules finalized last month will reduce greenhouse gas emissions from the oil and gas sector by nearly 40% compared to current levels.

Oil and gas operations are the largest industrial source of methane, the main component in natural gas and far more potent than carbon dioxide in the short term. It is responsible for about one-third of planet-warming greenhouse gas emissions. Sharp cuts in methane emissions are a global priority to slow the rate of climate change and were a major topic at a global climate conference in December known as COP28.

Turning the tide on industrial emissions will also require meaningful action to decarbonize other industries such as iron and steelmaking, cement manufacturing and chemical production, the report said.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 10, 2024

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

The clock is ticking loudly on his Speakership now

Going to counterpoint this that I think he just ends up staying as is until the end of the term. Clearly he can't control the House and no one else would be able to so letting the inmates take charge is really the only option.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Combed Thunderclap posted:

The American Institute for Boys and Men posted a really great op-ed just a few days ago that collects a lot of what's been discussed about rightism and men in this thread in one place and theorizes about what might be happening in a way that backs up some of those arguments. Also offers some useful global perspective:

I think the mention of "masculinity" is important there, because our cultural views of masculinity and male gender roles are deeply conservative, and so poorly suited for modern society that I suspect young men's own pursuit of these masculine ideals is driving a fair bit of the isolation, pain, and disadvantage they feel. And this isn't necessarily stuff they're seeking out on their own - there is still a lot of social and cultural pressure pushing young men toward those traditional gender roles, and that pressure has sufficiently dominated the discourse to the point where it really hasn't been possible for a new, more modern vision of masculinity to emerge.

Equimundo, which studies these issues, has done polling and focus grouping that shows the depth of the problem:

Not only are those various "masculine" behaviors toxic on their own, but many of them are also isolating. Those first two pillars isolate men emotionally from the people around them, the third discourages self-improvement, the fourth discourages them from spending time with family or around the neighborhood, and the last two make it more difficult for men to connect emotionally with women. Previous generations' social and economic structures compensated for that to some degree, but those structures have largely collapsed or been dismantled (often for good reason), while conservative forces in society prevented our views of masculinity from changing and evolving along with the rest of society.

And when I say "conservative forces", I don't just mean political conservatives. Media and marketing still adhere strongly to those old visions of what it means to be a man, and entertainment has been particularly attached to the traditional gender narrative. While some movies have become more inclusive, action and adventure are still deeply in love with the self-reliant tough guy hero who does whatever violence is needed, never talks about his feelings, never does his own laundry, and always gets the girl. That's all the more true because of the increasing cultural longevity of old brands. I've been hesitant to bring that up because SA is full of ultra-nerds and I'm sure everyone's gonna get all goony about this, but just 2023 alone saw new entries in the Indiana Jones (1981), Transformers (1984), Super Mario Bros (1985), The Little Mermaid (remake of a 1989 film based on a 1837 book), Mission Impossible (1996), Barbie (first film in 2001, based on a toy line that started in 1959), and John Wick (2014) franchises, along with at least two Marvel superhero movies starring characters that have been around for 50+ years. And though they're not really brands, we also had movies about Oppenheimer (set in the first half of the 20th century) and Napoleon (set in the first half of the 19th century). No matter how much you spruce it up for modern audiences, it's impossible to avoid the fact that we're still mostly repackaging and reselling old characters from old media which was heavily influenced by the cultural perspectives of its eras. And even if the new media is updated for current sensibilities, it still helps to maintain the popularity of the prominence of the older entries where things like sexual harassment were an expected part of how the hero would behave.

Our parents' celebrity role models wouldn't have been talkshow hosts, they would have been actors and the characters they played. Kids would grow up wanting to be Indiana Jones or James Bond or Spiderman, not David Letterman or Larry King or Donald Trump. If they admired real people, it would be athletes and musicians, not people who sat behind a desk and talked or shuffled papers all day. But as our entertainment and marketing are increasingly dominated by old, safe brands, the cultural influences on kids growing up have stagnated - even though society has moved on without them.

It's not just entertainment, either. As boomers age and become grumpy, the rowdy antics of adolescent boys are increasingly viewed as a dangerous nuisance and a threat to property, so public and private spaces are increasingly becoming hostile to young white males. Let's check out a snippet from a radio interview with the inventor of the Mosquito, the high-pitched sonic emitter that produces annoying sounds only young adults can hear:
https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129581152

quote:

Mr. STAPLETON: I am not and never have been anti-teenagers. In fact, I've got five kids. What I am, though, is I am fed up of the rudeness and the spitefulness of just a small minority of our teenagers. How? When I was a teenager, if I have spat at a police officer or sworn at the police officer, I'd have had a clip around the ear and my dad would have taken a belt to me. Where has that gone? That's disappeared out the door. It's time for good, honest, taxpaying citizens to get their streets back and not be intimidated by large groups of teenage gangs.

CONAN: Let's go to Michael(ph), Michael with us from Hayward in California.

MICHAEL (Caller): Hey, thanks for having me on the show.

CONAN: Sure. Go ahead.

MICHAEL: Well, my comment is uh - because I'm a security officer at the mall in Freemont. And I thought it would be pretty unique if we had one of those devices on our belts, because we have a high school right next to the mall. And the school is in session and they come over here for lunch and after school. And, you know, they're always causing troubles and stuff like that. I wouldn't mind having that to physically deter them away.

CONAN: I think what he was telling us, is that it doesn't need to be in place for five or six or even 15 minutes to be effective. Isn't that right, Mr. Stapleton?

Mr. STAPLETON: Yeah. The idea, of course, is once you got a larger group and it's got unmanageable, that's when the device turns on. We provide it with lots of different controls. The most basic is simply a timer because there are times, you know, early evening, maybe lunch times, where you got large congregations which cause problems. So the device turns on automatically. Then we even do a version which can be turn on and off via password, via mobile phone, which may be great for your security consultant is on the phone at the moment. If you got problems, you simply dial into the machine and turns it on. When the teenagers have gone or start behaving, he can turn it off. And that's the best way to use it. It they step over the line and start causing troubles to other people, turn it on. When they start behaving, quiet down a little, turn it off. It is amazing how quickly the teenagers realize that, you know, when we're genuinely fed up with them. And they soon alter their behavior.

They don't want to be shooed away. They prefer to stay there and hang out with their friends, but they know when, as I've said, the older tax-paying members of the public, are fed up with them.

It's dripping with contempt, but in a way that has nothing at all to do with the left. It's well-off older conservatives who regard teenagers as an annoyance and want to have a magic box that makes the annoying teens go away so no one has to deal with properly watching the kids, talking to them like they're human beings, or repairing occasional damage. In particular, notice the repeated mentions of "taxpayers" - the teens aren't just annoying people, they're annoying people who make enough to pay taxes and are conservative enough to feel entitled about it. A mall next to a high school is the obvious place for teenagers to hang out after school, but the mall cop is literally asking about installing teenager repellents to keep them out. Another repeated theme in this is cost - they want to deter teenagers because they don't want to clean up after vandalism, and they think rowdy teens drive customers away from their businesses. They're economically inconvenient, and thus are driven away by any means possible.

And these things do get real use. Philadelphia has had these devices installed in parks and recreation centers for a decade now, turning them on after hours to prevent teens from hanging around at night. A DC shopping center near a transit station tried installing one, though they removed it after people filed complaints. And so on. It's not just sonic weapons, either - plenty of cities follow the more traditional model of just having cops harass groups of teenagers that loiter too long in commercial districts.

Ultimately, that's what it all comes down to. Most of our society still quietly expects these antisocial behaviors from young men and pressures them to act out that role as individuals, even though our society also hates that role and ostracizes teenagers for carrying out those expectations of them. And, importantly, that doesn't really have anything to do with the left! The only thing leftists did was say things like "maybe we should stop treating sexual assault as an okay thing" and "maybe women should be allowed to be heroes sometimes too". The continued existence of these toxic expectations, along with the social isolation imposed on people who live up to them, are largely the fault of the conservative-leaning mainstream.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Retro42 posted:

Going to counterpoint this that I think he just ends up staying as is until the end of the term. Clearly he can't control the House and no one else would be able to so letting the inmates take charge is really the only option.

The government is going to shut down in 9 days if the House doesn't pass anything, and if it remains shut down until January 2025 the US probably balkanizes

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How many Rs would have to retire/die before the Dems have the majority in the house, and does anyone know what happens in that eventuality?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Main Paineframe posted:

Ultimately, that's what it all comes down to. Most of our society still quietly expects these antisocial behaviors from young men and pressures them to act out that role as individuals, even though our society also hates that role and ostracizes teenagers for carrying out those expectations of them. And, importantly, that doesn't really have anything to do with the left! The only thing leftists did was say things like "maybe we should stop treating sexual assault as an okay thing" and "maybe women should be allowed to be heroes sometimes too". The continued existence of these toxic expectations, along with the social isolation imposed on people who live up to them, are largely the fault of the conservative-leaning mainstream.

Exactly so. Patriarchy/masculinity is the fundamental problem.

If disaffected/maltreated young people was the issue, you'd have minorities shooting up schools on the regular.

Randalor posted:

How many Rs would have to retire/die before the Dems have the majority in the house, and does anyone know what happens in that eventuality?

2?

Then they elect a speaker.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Randalor posted:

2 if the Democrats win the special election for George Santos' seat (and assuming that a Republican wins McCarthy's seat).

If the Dems get a majority, then they can vote to nominate a new Speaker.

Tie votes in the House fail, so it is theoretically possible to get a scenario where a new Speaker can't be nominated and nothing can pass (if the vote is along partisan lines).

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

haveblue posted:

The government is going to shut down in 9 days if the House doesn't pass anything, and if it remains shut down until January 2025 the US probably balkanizes

So today Hunter Biden dunked on the GOP by showing up and then they got riled up and decided to shut down the government because of it. That's how things are going in my head.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Gnumonic posted:

That's a ridiculously silly position. Just looking at some of the names already mentioned, both Heidegger* and Schmitt gave elaborate intellectual defenses of fascism. Schmitt specifically has a very large body of political philosophy and legal theory that not only justifies fascism, but essentially argues that it is inevitable. I think Schmitt in particular is deeply evil, but I do not believe that anyone could read his work and think that he's stupid. Basically every leftist academic I know thinks his arguments deserve to be taken seriously even though they find him personally repugnant and strongly disagree with his conclusions.

Honestly, y'all should read (though not pay for, if you can avoid it) The Concept of the Political. It's the best presentation of the internal logic of authoritarianism/fascism that I've ever seen, and illustrates very well the way in which authoritarians have a totally different conception of what politics is than you or I (or any liberal or leftist) does.

*In fairness to Heidegger I think he was more of a careerist coward who would have justified anything if it'd benefit him, but Schmitt was 100% a true believer.

I have read The Concept of the Political. It is a very stupid book and entirely an exercise in rationalization - it is functionally a gloating villain speech.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 10, 2024

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Push El Burrito posted:

So today Hunter Biden dunked on the GOP by showing up and then they got riled up and decided to shut down the government because of it. That's how things are going in my head.

They also accused a cabinet member of being a slave trader and drug dealer. Busy day of nothing.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

They also accused a cabinet member of being a slave trader and drug dealer. Busy day of nothing.

... I'm sorry what? The clown car of stupidity still had some more in it?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Randalor posted:

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/822504053057929218?t=OAE-6mSaRWc0dbnU7s8Ncg&s=19

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

plogo posted:

In unfairness to Heidegger (because I have not engaged with his work in any meaningful sense) I would also note that the blogger's argument is partially cribbing Hannah Arendt who had personal reasons to want to absolve Heidegger.

Just to be clear, the reason why I think Heidegger is a coward is that, as someone who has engaged with his work in a meaningful sense (albeit not by choice), the places where he appears to defend fascism are especially unclear (even for Heidegger, which is saying a lot). IMO he was hedging his bets - writing an obscure/ambiguous defense of fascism that was just ambiguous enough that he could try to claim it wasn't really a defense of fascism at all.

But anyway, as to the original point, turns out I do still have a copy of Schmitt's book from a grad seminar I took a decade ago:

I guess people can judge for themselves whether they think that's stupid thought I hope we can all agree that it's evil. (As a fun exercise, compare Schmitt's presentation of fascist political theory with the way that a certain apartheid state regards its victims...)

PeterWeller posted:

If Heidegger wasn't a true believer, then he was at least a fellow traveler. His concepts of agrarianism and a return to simpler lives in simpler times grow from the same root of nostalgic mythology as every other regressive philosophy that plagued the 20th century.

Fair enough, though (IMO, people disagree, etc) the presentation of existential phenomenology in Being and Time is extremely derivative of Husserl's later work and it's possible to draw a distinction between Heidegger's development of Husserl's later thought and the weird primitivism that he thinks it entails. It's been a decade so don't ask me to explain this in detail, but I think the "return to a simple peasant lifestyle" stuff was most prominent in his later work and personally I always thought it was inconsistent w/ the earlier stuff. Don't take this as a defense of Heidegger or anything, I've just always thought the peasant poo poo was strange and out of place (but that might be because I'm reading Heidegger's phenomenology as largely continuous w/ Husserl).

I'll stop with the derail, this isn't a 20th century European philosophy thread & I was always more into 19th century stuff anyway.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Randalor posted:

... I'm sorry what?

I think it is a reference to the impeachment hearing they had for DHS Secretary Mayorkas. Someone was arguing that lifting Title 42 and his other border policies were allowing slave trading/human trafficking and drug trafficking to proliferate in the U.S. because they were allowing them in. This made him an accessory to drug trafficking/slavery.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Randalor posted:

I only saw it in passing so I don’t know who the idiot responsible is but basically they were talking about impeaching Mayorkas for “high crimes” and were asking Wray or someone if he had committed any. And Wray was like “no” so the idiot was like “do you think flooding the country with deadly drugs are high crimes? Do you think slavery is a high crime?”

I tried to find a twitter clip but my brain melted after about 3 minutes.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Aw, I was hoping it was a reference to Buttigieg-Glezman household having a truckload of coke delivered because that's the only thing that allows someone to both work full time AND have raise two twin toddlers.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Re: The climate report earlier.

I had no idea that concrete production is responsible for close to 10% of all carbon emissions in the U.S.

If you had asked me to guess the top three industries outside of oil and natural gas, I would have not have expected concrete to be one of the top.

quote:

If the cement industry were a country, it would be the third-largest emitter of carbon dioxide in the world, after the U.S. and China.

Apparently, the issue is with limestone and there isn't really any practical way to de-carbonize concrete right now.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 10, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I had no idea that concrete production is responsible for close to 10% of all carbon emissions in the U.S.

If you had asked me to guess the top three industries outside of oil and natural gas, I would have not have expected concrete to be one of the top.

Apparently, the issue is with limestone and there isn't really any practical way to de-carbonize concrete right now.

Seems a bit high compared to this but that's a global chart so maybe the split is different

https://ourworldindata.org/ghg-emissions-by-sector

Ther's also a method of making lower-carbon concrete, though I'm not an expert so I won't try to summarize it: https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/low-carbon-concrete

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

When this happened where I live I was surprised it didn't make national news. We had a gas leak that lasted for like 11 days and spewed over a billion(!) cubic feet of methane into the atmosphere:

https://www.alleghenyfront.org/equitrans-midstream-gas-leak-cambria-county-methane/

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
There are a number of viable workarounds to concrete's emissions problems, yeah. None of them are really gamechangers yet from the emissions perspective specifically, afaik, but it's more a matter of will and research/refitting money than of insurmountable technical problems.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

rkd_ posted:

Well, I am talking specifically about working-class white men. To lump them together with all white men is exactly why they feel alienated.

Thanks for the links though, very interesting information! Considering about 70-75% of the US population is white and, presumably, the majority of students in US colleges and universities are white, it doesn't seem that surprising to me that 72% of all scholarships go to white people, and that could even indicate that a 'disproportionate' amount goes to non-white people. As I said though, I am pretty confident that most of these scholarships do not go to the working-class white men I was talking about. These men, who don't benefit from the system that is supposedly in their favor, don't really care much about the fact that other, more privileged members of their group gets to reap the benefits of being white.

The issue is that we went from a system of equality of opportunity to a system of equality of outcome. I get all the good intentions behind it, but if a working-class white man did not get the opportunities to be in a position to be eligible for a merit-based scholarship, and then sees that minorities who are going through similar hardship get similar scholarships because of the color of their skin, then that will sting. You can throw all the numbers at him about how privileged the other members of his race are, but all he knows is that he did not get the support he needed. In the past (and perhaps even now still) I'm sure people would tell that white man to go cry a river, but we're seeing now what they do instead.

Do you have any evidence for this claim? Or is it just something that fits the preexisting beliefs you already held?

I'm sorry if this comes off as hostile, but I don't post all these links because I just love the look of blue text with underlines. I do it because I think it's very important to not take it for granted that our assumptions are true. I think we should check them against actual evidence whenever possible, rather than just relying on our gut assumptions. It's way too common for people to come up with a political theory and then answer any questions they don't know by reasoning backwards from that theory (instead of checking actual evidence to see what the real answer is). And it's important, because this question is fundamental to your entire argument.

I posted five different links showing that white people are not disadvantaged when it comes to getting scholarships, and you responded by saying that you were "pretty confident" that working-class white men are an exception to that. I'm not sure how many research papers or statistical data tables "pretty confident" are equal to, but I'm reasonably confident that you didn't check your claim against the data first, because I looked at all the data I posted and there's absolutely nothing to suggest that poor whites are uniquely disadvantaged here. Yes, I know you said "working-class" rather than "poor", but that's a fairly arbitrary distinction that lines up decently enough with income and wealth anyway. While wealthier students are slightly overrepresented in merit-based aid, need-based aid skews heavily toward the poor for obvious reasons.

As for whether or not a disproportionate amount of scholarships go to white people, that was covered in the very quote you were responding to there:

quote:

MARTIN: Now, you just heard Colby Bohannan say that he had a difficult time finding scholarships that he was eligible for. Is it true that minorities are more likely to receive college scholarships?

Mr. KANTROWITZ: In fact, they are less likely to receive college scholarships. And they represent about a third of the applicants, but only about 28 percent of the recipients. Caucasian students receive 72 percent of all scholarships. Minority students receive only 28 percent of all scholarships.

While the "about a third" is annoyingly vague, it's clear from context that that the percentage of scholarships going to minority students is a few points less than "about a third", and thus minorities make up a smaller percentage of scholarship recipients than they do of scholarship applicants.

Besides, ultimately only a small percentage of students get private or state-based scholarships, and the amount of scholarship money they get is usually tiny. The vast majority of student aid is federal.

rkd_ posted:

I guess it depends on what kind of media you consume, but over the last decade, it has been a lot about white privilege and not so much about white plight. The only articles that I do see about that are about how not enough attention is being paid to their issues, and how (white) men commit suicide at a disproportionate rate compared to others. Then there are things like Pride Month and Black History Month. I get it, the events are celebrating and paying attention to groups that otherwise have been ignored, shunned, and/or persecuted. An argument can also be made that many holidays (i.e., Oktoberfest, St Patrick's Day, Christmas, etc.) are already a celebration of white culture. However, those events are not centered around the identity of being white and, as such, invite everyone to partake. The other events that are focused so closely on celebrating a specific identity are, almost inherently, exclusionary. I fully support their existence, but you need to shine a similar light on everyone to not make them feel ignored, shunned, and/or persecuted.

You're making a fundamental mistake here: there is no such thing as "white culture". St Patrick's Day isn't a "white" holiday, it's an Irish holiday. Oktoberfest isn't a "white" holiday, it's a German holiday.

The "identity of being white" was invented during the colonization of the Americas in order to justify and codify the new social structures established there, where immigrants from all over Europe ruled over a diverse array of native inhabitants and imported slaves from all over Africa. There never really was any such thing as "white culture", because whiteness and blackness were social caste system, not cultural groups. In 1800, German-Americans, Italian-Americans, Irish-Americans, and French-Americans would likely have balked at the idea that they shared a common culture, but they were all legally privileged over other groups in the Americas. Even in the US, where a particularly diverse mix of European peoples integrated particularly well, the result would be termed "American culture" rather than "white culture".

If you're asking why that doesn't apply to "black culture" too, it's worth looking at the question. Of course, "black" was also a social caste, rather than a shared cultural identity. However, there's one important difference here: while all the members of the "black" group originally had their own separate cultural heritages, generations of brutal slavery and repression eroded their separate ethnic and cultural identities. They came from all over Africa, but all of them were taken across the Atlantic, forced to adopt European cultural traditions and behaviors, barred from education, their families broken up and separated at the whim of slaveowners, and more. After more than a hundred years of this sort of treatment, the shared experiences and suffering they all faced in America blended with the cultural memories of Africa they still held to form an African-American identity and culture, one clearly distinct from both general American culture and the African cultures they had originated from. And since the overwhelming majority of black people in America are African-American, "black" is often used as a synonym for "African-American", even though

rkd_ posted:

I guess my overall point is that I understand the statistics behind all of this, the intentions, the goals, etc. I'm just pointing out that a group that has historically also been oppressed by a white, privileged elite is now not only forgotten about in all of these support initiatives, they're even lumped together with the elite that exploited them and being told that they benefited just the same, so now it's someone else's turn. That message just won't reach those people, and, if you push it, of course they'll go to someone who tells them the opposite is true and exploits their anger to convert them into extremism.

If I have to explain how much difference there is between being a white laborer and being a black slave in the antebellum South, then I could spend all night typing and it still wouldn't be enough. Where did you even get the idea that the white working class has "historically also been oppressed by a white, privileged elite" in a way even remotely comparable to what African-Americans have faced historically?

That's not just me being dismissive, either. I'm genuinely curious as to where you heard something like that. I'm actually very interested in how an idea like that managed to make its way to a SA poster in the year 2023.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Christie is dropping out which makes a narrow Haley victory in NH at least theoretically possible. Will be interesting at least but probably doesn't mean anything for other primary states.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Main Paineframe posted:

Thank you for this excellent post. I am going to go out on a limb and go a bit further. It's not that there's no socially acceptable path for any man. It's that there's no socially acceptable path for the traditional idea of a man; the misogynist, homophobic, generally anti-social, mentally unhealthy, violent idea of "manhood". I would argue that the American idea of masculinity is so fundamentally tied into patriarchal value that it's irredeemable.

It's not that we haven't found a healthy masculinity yet. It's that there isn't one. Masculinity is fundamentally toxic, and we've got to bite the bullet on that one if we're going to move on.

Let me pose my argument this way. Consider patriarchy. What would a Healthy Patriarchy look like? I'm open to any answers.

I would argue part of the problem in this discourse is the conflation of "man", the American gender, and "males". I would never argue that males are outdated and no longer have a place in society. We certainly need them! This leads me to the second part of my argument. There are millions of males in the US who have found a healthy path away from toxic masculinity in the form of embracing an LGBT identity. I am one of them. There are extremely welcoming and supportive communities everywhere you look, both online and off, ready to welcome males into them. But people need to give up their old harmful views about others and themselves.

If you're willing to abandon those pillars you mentioned, like rigid gender roles, shallow hypersexuality, hyperaggression, misogyny, etc, then you can certainly find the things mentioned in the American Institute for Boys and Men. Friends, social status, sometimes even increased career stability and an alternate path away from despair and hopelessness. Pride in the self, instead of hate of others.

But this is seen as a massive threat to those who want to keep benefiting from patriarchy, and keep using it to manipulate. Especially transgender and non-binary people. After all, if someone assigned male at birth can just be a woman, and vice verse... or have no gender at all... or even switch gender fluidly... then what role is even left for the patriarchy?

To be clear, I'm not trying to suggest every male should try to force themself to go gay. In practice, what I'm suggesting is simply softening of strict gender roles.

I also want to point out that despite everything I said, I can think of at least one working model of healthy, acceptable, popular, modern manhood - The Dad. Specifically, good, present fathers, not just people that produced a lot of children. People loving LOVE a good dad. Like Ebon Moss-Bachrach's character from The Bear, or Paul Rudd in Ant-Man. But I think that relates to my earlier points, as well. It's a breakdown in rigid gender roles. It's the "Mr. Mom" archetype. The dad who isn't just a provider or protector, but a compassionate nurturer, as well. Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting. Dumbledore. Pedro Pascal and the two gay guys from Last of Us.

But, again, you see that path challenged by conservatives. Men, especially gay men, can't be trusted around children. The only conceivable relationship between a man and a child is said to be one of sexual exploitation. Male babysitters or teachers are mocked, at best.

There are positive archetypes for males out there. Just not positive archetypes for toxic misogynists. That's not something that needs to be fixed.

But it is true there's a problem. Young males see someone like Trump getting elected. They see Elon Musk and Joe Rogan lauded with praise online. So, they emulate them. But then their peers reject them for it. This may be another hot take, but if you ask me, social media needs to stop loving letting 13 year olds onto their platforms, like Iamgoofball brought up. Kids need to spend more time being socialized with their cohort, not wackjob 55 y/o+ right wing grifters. Is it unreasonable to suggest that this should be legally enforced? I'd love for it to just be implemented voluntarily, but it doesn't seem like something Meta or Twitter or TikTok would choose to do.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Portland cement, the active ingredient of concrete, is basically made by cooking the CO2 out of limestone to make caustic calcium oxides. I'm not sure whether the typical carbon emission statistics account for the CO2 that's absorbed from the air again when the concrete sets, but even if it isn't there's also a lot of energy needed for the rest of the process, not least since it happens at like 600-1500C, and there's also a lot of grinding stone into chunks or powder.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
well yeah but energy use isn't inherently emissions-producing, it's worth separating that out from the CO2 that's an unavoidable* part of the portland cement process

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
How's hempcrete looking as an alternative? I've seen the people who make it talk up all the incredible amazing benefits, but I suspect they may be biased. They say it's significantly carbon negative, at least. I imagine there are serious issues of scale currently. Anyone know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Man why are males getting more conservative and reactionary, i mean what's up with that

Oh cool i want to watch this video about making motorcycle chain art

[Clicks video, algorithm immediately recommends me Prageru Presents: Ben Shapiro Reacts To Nick Fuentes' Podcast Series On Enslaving Femoids To Protect Your Masculinity: "he's absolutely right, females are like vampires if they were worse and more woke"]

Anyway guess that's just gonna be a headscratcher forever

/

XboxPants posted:

How's hempcrete looking as an alternative? I've seen the people who make it talk up all the incredible amazing benefits, but I suspect they may be biased. They say it's significantly carbon negative, at least. I imagine there are serious issues of scale currently. Anyone know?

Concrete is an incomprehensibly scaled monolith at the heart of all infrastructure, go down some kind of modern marvels rabbit hole about its production and it will feel impossible to offer any alternative i think

Staluigi fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 10, 2024