Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

C-Euro posted:

TBH I'm surprised that so many people are surprised that Carroll is out. I feel like there was chatter here and there the entire season about the game passing him by, and how he was going to gracefully walk away from coaching after this season, and now...that's exactly what's happening? Did I imagine all of those posts?

I think that was more people saying that he should retire than it was predicting that he would. I don't think there was any real smoke around this at all, which is what makes it so surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Saban to Bears DC
Carroll to Bears OC
Belichick to Bears ST

Harbaugh to Bama

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Saban retiring is actually huge for this thread.

Like, go to the Raiders or go to Alabama?

I suspect Harbaugh is NFL bound to wherever, he doesn't want to deal with the NCAA's crap which might actually hurt him a little bit if he stayed.. He had his dream job, he won the championship, he doesn't have any connection to Bama other than perhaps a dumptruck full of cash, but he can get that truck in other places.

e: I just assume that's who you were talking about.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Hamhandler posted:

Pete Carroll was fun but I agree wholeheartedly with this:

https://twitter.com/coachvass/status/1718020936912294027?s=46&t=4v69OlVJpK1h7pgGOGqqoA

It’s not his fault per se, but this is a lot of the offensive explosion over the past decade

I would like to know more, what was being copied.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I like you
Do you like me too
Yes [ ] No [ ]

quote:

My concern here with all this would be whether the Panthers are worried about the right things. To kick off its interview process, Carolina reached out to candidates, through different channels, to see whether they’d accept interviews before officially putting in slips for them with the league. That, presumably, was done out of fear of being turned down—that rejection would get out, which would bolster perception that coach and GM candidates are leery of working for Tepper (which is just the honest truth right now).

So their list, essentially, includes people who’ve already agreed to interview, rather than the full list that they’re looking at. Which, to me, reeks of an organization being concerned with the wrong stuff—and, ironically enough, is a reason why a candidate would be cautious about pursuing either of those jobs.

I do think Tepper can be a really great owner. He’s incredibly smart. But it feels like he’s become too wrapped up in a lot of things that new owners are often concerned with, from image and optics to being seen as forward-thinking to constantly changing his mind.

There aren’t great signs yet that’s changed in 2024. But there’s still time to fix that.

https://x.com/AlbertBreer/status/1745204988924535184?s=20

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

kiimo posted:

Saban retiring is actually huge for this thread.

Like, go to the Raiders or go to Alabama?

Do you want to croot and kiss boosters that will see anything short of top 4 a colossal failure or deal with professionals that make more than you?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Pete has made tons of bad moves. A lot, trades and contracts.

I’ll do an effort post on it later but for a teaser please remember Percy Harvin and Jimmy Graham lol

Jimmy G was a failure of utilization not acquisition. Or rather, should never have targeted him if they were gonna just try to make him Zach Miller 2.0

https://twitter.com/TheJimmyGraham/status/1745209750956949575?t=WzSKvuuxZHReOh_EDAx0Qw

I'll miss Pete but the last few years have been infuriating so it's gonna be awhile before I have something besides some relief

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 11, 2024

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

mcmagic posted:

The Jets should bring Pete home.

Dan Marino can’t fake spike it anymore.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I’m still partial to the 2nd most embarrassing Dolphins incident by Pete.

https://twitter.com/tdisportsclips/status/1737637546350518564?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1745226526487154788?t=FoUhcNzP1YnBZjFDNOY8LQ&s=19

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Pete has made tons of bad moves. A lot, trades and contracts.

I’ll do an effort post on it later but for a teaser please remember Percy Harvin and Jimmy Graham lol

I demand Max Unger back.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

quote:

I do think Tepper can be a really great owner. He’s incredibly smart.

come again?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
depends on how you define "smart" since it's essentially meaningless

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Its Rinaldo posted:

Jimmy G was a failure of utilization not acquisition. Or rather, should never have targeted him if they were gonna just try to make him Zach Miller 2.0

https://twitter.com/TheJimmyGraham/status/1745209750956949575?t=WzSKvuuxZHReOh_EDAx0Qw

I'll miss Pete but the last few years have been infuriating so it's gonna be awhile before I have something besides some relief

Jimmy Graham went from a pass heavy offense to a run heavy one, it was to be expected his numbers would go down. He also ended his first season early with a patellar tear, which isn't easy to come back from. He became a decent red zone target for Russ.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
He's a genius at sabotaging a football team's success.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

[ignore]

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Tepper's entire reputation is as a board room bully lol he's not smart he's richer meaner Mark Cuban

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Pron on VHS posted:

I would like to know more, what was being copied.

Ted Nguyen can do it more credit than I can:
https://theathletic.com/1885061/2020/06/30/what-happened-to-pete-carrolls-coaching-tree/

Vass argument is mostly about the coverage, that running a bunch of cover-3 in the way they did(especially spot-dropping regular zone rather than pattern matching) was basically a function of just having a bunch of elite players more than a scheme that could succeed on its own merits. You need to spend the GDP of a small country on pass rushers and have some crazy talent in coverage to make it work, and a lot of guys mimicked by the mid 2010's it and either had to move away from it or eat poo poo. Even Pete Carroll eventually blended a lot more Fangio style stuff when he fired Ken Norton Jr. for Clint Hurtt.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

C-Euro posted:

TBH I'm surprised that so many people are surprised that Carroll is out. I feel like there was chatter here and there the entire season about the game passing him by, and how he was going to gracefully walk away from coaching after this season, and now...that's exactly what's happening? Did I imagine all of those posts?

I accurately brought up a bunch of Pete’s flaws and hoped that he would be fired. A bunch of my east posting this season was “Seahawks are gonna be around .500 and miss the playoffs or be a one-and-done wildcard”

Pete is bad at hiring coordinators, bad at trades, bad at contracts, and bad at defense. He was de facto gm and was bad.

He’s a great culture setter and he’s charismatic but the game has passed him by.

Heck, he never even really was up to date with the nfl when he first joined the Seahawks. He didn’t out scheme or coach anyone, he just had a bunch of hall of fame and hall of very good players on rookie contracts to out-talent opposing teams.

And then shirts and skins constantly complained about my accurate posting.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Its Rinaldo posted:

I mean, considering the cost to get Jimmy <the cap space, the top 5 (top 3?) center, and first round pick> I think it’s a pretty poor acquisition.

The utilization though was even more bonkers.

Nervous posted:

I demand Max Unger back.

I loved him!!!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Does Mike Holmgren not exsist? I get Pete won a Super Bowl and they were a middling team for most of the 80s and 90s and into the early 00’s but Shaun Alexander and the rest did exsist and make a Super Bowl.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

davecrazy posted:

Does Mike Holmgren not exsist? I get Pete won a Super Bowl and they were a middling team for most of the 80s and 90s and into the early 00’s but Shaun Alexander and the rest did exsist and make a Super Bowl.

Yeah, modern Seahawks fans are spoiled. Since the hiring of Holmgren, the team has just 7 losing seasons (one of which went to the playoffs with the Beastquake!). They've always been relevant and even made the playoffs 16 out of 24 seasons between 1999-now, save for one poor 4 year stretch at the end of the Holmgren era, the Jim Mora "era" (2009), and the start of the Pete Carroll era. It's easy to see a lot of areas where Carroll was a problem but his teams won games. Hard to see his replacement being better, and I will miss him. Great guy.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Working on a trade for Belichick?

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1745247660779417622?t=uKmSAoFbMY8Qse54JRa7Nw&s=19

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Belichick to Atlanta is a move that makes so little sense that it actually makes sense. same as Brady to the Bucs

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm surprised that Brady has been in Tampa this long and hasn't signed some deal with Scientology-backed organizations. Like maybe under the guise of bringing awareness to the public of the dangers of psychiatry or something.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

they're going to trade for Belichick

the people they're trading to New England are Kyle Pitts and Bijan Robinson

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

this would be so loving stupid for a team whose biggest issue is getting a competent offense together

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Relentlessboredomm posted:

this would be so loving stupid for a team whose biggest issue is getting a competent offense together

I'd love for it to happen.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

really queer Christmas posted:

lol big same

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1745246892286730742?t=ArvX6xOCgn5p-2i6ifaPfg&s=19

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Alaois posted:

they're going to trade for Belichick

the people they're trading to New England are Kyle Pitts and Bijan Robinson
Now now, Bellichick would never allow them to screw themselves over just acquiring him.

The Patriots would also send Tyquan Thornton and Cole Strange!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

really queer Christmas posted:

If Dennis Allen gets to play out his contract then I want some bright lining in the division

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Relentlessboredomm posted:

He might bring McDaniels!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Heck, he never even really was up to date with the nfl when he first joined the Seahawks. He didn’t out scheme or coach anyone, he just had a bunch of hall of fame and hall of very good players on rookie contracts to out-talent opposing teams.

I'm sorry but where the gently caress were all these "hall of fame and hall of very good players" on the 2010 roster? Where did they come from? Did they just materialize out of thin air ready to always compete?

You can't claim that Pete had complete personnel control and then pretend he stumbled into all these talented players who won in spite of him. This is such a gross rewriting of history.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Benne posted:

I'm sorry but where the gently caress were all these "hall of fame and hall of very good players" on the 2010 roster? Where did they come from? Did they just materialize out of thin air ready to always compete?

You can't claim that Pete had complete personnel control and then pretend he stumbled into all these talented players who won in spite of him. This is such a gross rewriting of history.

It’s not a gross rewriting of history.

I fully acknowledge that Pete made that team with back to back historically good drafts and FA classes. He exploited market efficiencies with DBs. His FA acquisitions for the DL was smart because he went after a bunch of A-/B+ dl FAs instead of the top dude in the FA class.

It is also true that we have a Pete Carroll sample size of over a decade. The majority of that time was filled with poor personnel decisions and cap space allocation.

Both those things can be (and are) true at the same time.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Pete was a good coach. He had his flaws but he has plenty of legitimate strengths as a coach. He was a good motivator. His teams played hard. His teams always had at least one WR that could make really improbable broken play catches. He could always find DBs in the later rounds and coach them up. He correctly saw that Russ couldn’t be trusted to cook.

Schneider also deserves plenty of blame for the contracts and drafts, he was right there with Pete in lockstep. He wasn’t just a money guy, he came up as a scout and through the personnel side. He ran the scouts and negotiated the contracts. He wasn’t just a pawn for the gum chewing mastermind behind the scenes.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Pete was also one of the best player development guys in the league, its absurd how well he coached dudes up

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Pete just couldn't handle another year without his handsome assistant coach, Dave Canalas.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Hawks should bring back Darrell Bevell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
One writer described the relationship between Schneider and Carroll as "Schneider finds players, presents them to Carroll similar like a food menu, Pete picks him then Schneider gets them" so describing John Schneider as some figurehead is wrong.