Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Some general tank tips:

'Mechs can occupy the same space as up to 2 tanks, even if they're hostile. Moving into a space with a hostile does automatically end your movement but only infantry can shoot at targets sharing their hex. Melee attacks can be made against range 0 targets, and vehicles don't get any melee attacks.

One of the best (if slowest) ways to kill an enemy combat vehicle is to stand on it and kick it. You spread your damage a lot that way (you randomly determine which side of the tank you're attacking from) but 1/2 of a combat vehicle's hitzones are pretty bad for it and 1/4th of them are really bad for it. Any unattended/unsupported combat vehicle is vulnerable since they need a friend to try to peel you off of them; but this is especially cripping for the poor Hetzer and one reason why it's usually best to deploy tanks in pairs.

This turn, the Hunchback could march up and occupy the Bulldog's hex and start kicking it and the only thing the Bulldog can do is pray the Firestarter's flamers are enough to deter the Hunchback from doing it (which, provided the Hunchback plays it safe and only fires 3-4 lasers at the Firestarter, the flamers aren't enough of a deterrent). A Swayback is not something a Firestarter can go toe-to-toe with at point blank range. :ssh:

The OpForce does have a counterplay to this--but they've gotta figure it out and I think that's part of their lesson.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hmmmmmmmm

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
I like the idea of making the OpFor defend their vehicles here. Make the Firestarter defend the Bulldog, and make the Hunchback defend the Hetzer. Get them on the back foot.

Blackjack and Wyvern walk to 1003 and 1103 respectively and get good shots at the Bulldog.

Otter Madness fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 11, 2024

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PoptartsNinja posted:

Some general tank tips:

'Mechs can occupy the same space as up to 2 tanks, even if they're hostile. Moving into a space with a hostile does automatically end your movement but only infantry can shoot at targets sharing their hex. Melee attacks can be made against range 0 targets, and vehicles don't get any melee attacks.

One of the best (if slowest) ways to kill an enemy combat vehicle is to stand on it and kick it. You spread your damage a lot that way (you randomly determine which side of the tank you're attacking from) but 1/2 of a combat vehicle's hitzones are pretty bad for it and 1/4th of them are really bad for it. Any unattended/unsupported combat vehicle is vulnerable since they need a friend to try to peel you off of them; but this is especially cripping for the poor Hetzer and one reason why it's usually best to deploy tanks in pairs.

This turn, the Hunchback could march up and occupy the Bulldog's hex and start kicking it and the only thing the Bulldog can do is pray the Firestarter's flamers are enough to deter the Hunchback from doing it (which, provided the Hunchback plays it safe and only fires 3-4 lasers at the Firestarter, the flamers aren't enough of a deterrent). A Swayback is not something a Firestarter can go toe-to-toe with at point blank range. :ssh:

The OpForce does have a counterplay to this--but they've gotta figure it out and I think that's part of their lesson.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hunchback

Going with plan STAND AND DELIVER; submitting orders

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Submitted to 0804 and firing 2LL at the Bulldog.

I hope we can score some good damage on this thing.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

gonna send my orders tonight! woops

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Some general tank tips:

This is one of those lessons I always forget so thank you for this reminder. Brain finds it simpler just to think "can't share a hex with anything alive" which is not a great simplification the moment anything other than 'Mechs are on the field.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
I'm still pondering lol, but I am leaning towards jumping to 0907 and plinking the militia buildings.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think if you guys don't reduce their numbers asap you'll be in trouble fast and won't get the chance to do anything about your objectives

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
That's why I am waffling lol.

Ok, I'll jump to 0904 and shoot at the Bulldog.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I think if you guys don't reduce their numbers asap you'll be in trouble fast and won't get the chance to do anything about your objectives

This.

We need local fire superiority, because they have overall fire superiority, higher maneuverability and superior numbers. That means limiting who can fire on us, and maximizing our firepower on a single target until it's dead. We need to move and shoot as Lance, not as four individual Mechwarriors.

This is nearly universally true for Battletech due to the ablative nature of the game. It's all about denying shot or tilting the target numbers in your favor. You'll always roll lower than you expect, so you need more firepower across the board to compensate.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I'm still missing orders from one person. This is going to be my last reminder, from now on I'll :siren: assume direct control :siren: if I don't recieve orders by the deadline.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I understand that pain. :xd:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

shoot thats me

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Orders sent!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

PoptartsNinja posted:

I understand that pain. :xd:

You have the patience of a saint for doing it for thirteen years. I've tried to be lenient so far, but from now on I'm putting my (justice) foot down.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I thought the deadline today was at 19, not 17... in any case sorry it flew past by me!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Space Kablooey posted:

I thought the deadline today was at 19, not 17... in any case sorry it flew past by me!

No need to apologise. I always give my warnings at least a couple of hours before the deadline, just to give folks time to get their orders in before the cutoff. I was just a bit worried since you said earlier in the thread that you were sending them yesterday night.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Scintilla posted:

You have the patience of a saint for doing it for thirteen years. I've tried to be lenient so far, but from now on I'm putting my (justice) foot down.

Given that PTN interprets "I don't have your orders" as "silence implies a 0 movement, 0 weapon use order, enjoy standing still and just taking it, idiot" you're still quite a bit more generous in actually positively controlling the unit

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Moonwalking towards the hetzer with flipped arms

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
I did that with a Dragoon against a Dire Wolf in PTNs old thread... of course at that point I had more back armour than front.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Volmarias posted:

Given that PTN interprets "I don't have your orders" as "silence implies a 0 movement, 0 weapon use order, enjoy standing still and just taking it, idiot" you're still quite a bit more generous in actually positively controlling the unit

That's doubly unfair, since I absolutely do take control if it's late enough in the mission that I don't want to bother an alternate. I hate doing it because the whole goal is to let as many other people have fun as possible, but sometimes it just has to happen. I've just never made a big deal about taking control because usually there're only 2-3 turns left and the players already mostly have a mission in the bag. Heck, I want to say there were at least a half-dozen times where that happened and the player sent orders on the next turn as if they hadn't missed anything. RL happens, I get it.

Even in the early game, when a player misses orders and skips their turn, the OpForce doesn't just suddenly focus fire on the easy target. I have a personal rule to never attack an orderless 'Mech unless the OpForce has literally nothing else to shoot at, or if by shooting another player I feel that other player might get overwhelmed with incoming fire unless I take a potshot at the inactive unit instead. And in the times where I do have to shoot at them it's generally going to be a "cooldown turn" where the attacking OpForce will take inefficient shots with as few weapons as I think I can convincingly get away with.

The only time a lack of orders ever turned into anything even remotely resembling an "I want you off the board" is if I've had to repeatedly beg a player for orders, they've delayed multiple turns in a row, and I believe the other players can still win without them. So, maybe twice across all my LPs.

Edit: Sorry for making GBS threads up your thread Scintilla.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 14, 2024

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's doubly unfair, since I absolutely do take control if it's late enough in the mission that I don't want to bother an alternate. I hate doing it because the whole goal is to let as many other people have fun as possible, but sometimes it just has to happen. I've just never made a big deal about taking control because usually there're only 2-3 turns left and the players already mostly have a mission in the bag. Heck, I want to say there were at least a half-dozen times where that happened and the player sent orders on the next turn as if they hadn't missed anything. RL happens, I get it.

Even in the early game, when a player misses orders and skips their turn, the OpForce doesn't just suddenly focus fire on the easy target. I have a personal rule to never attack an orderless 'Mech unless the OpForce has literally nothing else to shoot at, or if by shooting another player I feel that other player might get overwhelmed with incoming fire unless I take a potshot at the inactive unit instead. And in the times where I do have to shoot at them it's generally going to be a "cooldown turn" where the attacking OpForce will take inefficient shots with as few weapons as I think I can convincingly get away with.

The only time a lack of orders ever turned into anything even remotely resembling an "I want you off the board" is if I've had to repeatedly beg a player for orders, they've delayed multiple turns in a row, and I believe the other players can still win without them. So, maybe twice across all my LPs.

Edit: Sorry for making GBS threads up your thread Scintilla.

You both are doing good work, and I think everyone would agree that any insight into the process helps. You are both letting us have a lot of fun, so thank you :)

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Cityscape_[9994]: Turn 2

The Bulldog’s frontal armour ran in molten rivers as the medium tank stubbornly endured a vicious lashing from Sterling Lance’s guns. Sparks flew as lasers splashed off the machine’s sloped armour and bit into its flanks, threatening to split the tank’s vulnerable treads. Such a barrage would have panicked even a veteran tank commander, but the primitive AI assigned to the vehicle did not feel emotions like fear or stress. Its electronic control systems reacted with mechanical thoroughness, robotically logging the damage and feeding the data back into its behavioural algorithms before activating its targeting subroutines.

There was no great strategy involved in the Bulldog’s choice of targets. Its AI simply picked the unit that was easiest to hit and opened fire. The Hunchback’s right arm glowed red as the Bulldog’s Large Laser melted an angry line from elbow to shoulder, evaporating fully half of the limb’s protection in a single shot. Its SRMs were less successful, scoring only a handful of superficial detonations across the mech’s thick chest armour.

A lull descended over the city as the combatants waited for their weapons systems to rearm. The Bulldog quickly reversed course, its thick treads ripping up the pavement as it retreated back around the corner and into the street it had originally emerged from. Its AI did not feel joy that it had survived the first round of combat, nor derived any satisfaction from the fact that it had scoured away nearly a full ton of armour from a dangerous enemy battlemech. Its behavioural algorithms told it that it had sustained heavy damage and should retreat, so that is what it did. Perhaps one day a computer scientist would build an AI capable of something approaching actual intelligence, but that time was surely a long way off.

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4P (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Bulldog Medium Tank (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 9: Hits Turret! Bulldog Medium Tank (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Turret, 15/20 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Bulldog Medium Tank (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 8: Hits Front! Bulldog Medium Tank (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Front, 19/24 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Bulldog Medium Tank (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 3: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Bulldog Medium Tank (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Bulldog Medium Tank (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 2: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Bulldog Medium Tank (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 8: Hits Front! Bulldog Medium Tank (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Front, 14/24 Armour remaining. Chance for Motive System Damage!
--Motive System Hit! No motive damage sustained.
-Fires Medium Laser at Bulldog Medium Tank (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 9: Hits Left Side! Bulldog Medium Tank (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Left Side, 15/20 Armour remaining. Chance for Motive System Damage!
-Fires Medium Laser at Bulldog Medium Tank (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 11: Hits Left Side! Bulldog Medium Tank (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Left Side, 10/20 Armour remaining. Chance for Motive System Damage!

Weapons fire for Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Bulldog Medium Tank (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 8: Hits Front! Bulldog Medium Tank (Fusiliers) takes 8 damage to Front, 6/24 Armour remaining. Through Armour Critical!
--Critical Hit on Front! One Critical Hit sustained. Stabiliser destroyed!
-Fires Large Laser at Bulldog Medium Tank (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 5: Misses!

Weapons fire for Victor VTR-9B (Player):
-Fires AC/20 at Bulldog Medium Tank (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 9: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Bulldog Medium Tank (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Bulldog Medium Tank (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 3: Misses!

Weapons fire for Wyvern WVE-6N (Player):
-Attempts to fire LRM-10 at Bulldog Medium Tank (Fusiliers) but does not have LOS!
-Attempts to fire SRM-6 at Bulldog Medium Tank (Fusiliers) but does not have LOS!

--

Weapons fire for Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Firestarter FS9-A (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6D (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Bulldog Medium Tank (Fusiliers):
-Fires Large Laser at Hunchback HBK-4P (Player); needs 6, rolls 9: Hits Right Arm! Hunchback HBK-4P (Player) takes 8 damage to Right Arm, 8/16 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM-4 at Hunchback HBK-4P (Player); needs 8, rolls 12: 3 Missiles Hit! Hunchback HBK-4P (Player) takes 2 damage to Right Torso (18/20 Armour remaining), Right Torso (16/20 Armour remaining) and Left Torso (18/20 Armour remaining).
-Fires SRM-4 at Hunchback HBK-4P (Player); needs 8, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires Machine Gun at Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player): needs 12, rolls 10: Misses!

Weapons fire for Goblin (SRM) (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Vedette (Standard) (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

No melee attacks this turn!

Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player) gains 17 heat, sinks 17 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hunchback HBK-4P (Player) gains 24 heat, sinks 23 heat and is now at 1 heat.

Victor VTR-9B (Player) gains 17 heat, sinks 5 heat and is now at 2 heat.

Wyvern WVE-6N (Player) gains 3 heat, sinks 3 heat and is now at 0 heat.

--

Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) gains 1 heat, sinks 1 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Firestarter FS9-A (Fusiliers) gains 6 heat, sinks 6 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) gains 2 heat, sinks 2 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers) gains 1 heat, sinks 1 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6D (Fusiliers) gains 1 heat, sinks 1 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) turned after running on pavement (Hex 1309); must pass a piloting test to avoid skidding out of control! Needs 5, rolls 8: Succeeds!

Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers) turned after flanking on pavement (Hex 0712); must pass a piloting test to avoid skidding out of control! Needs 4, rolls 7: Succeeds!

Vedette (Standard) (Fusiliers) turned after flanking on pavement (Hex 1909); must pass a piloting test to avoid skidding out of control! Needs 5, rolls 8: Succeeds!

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Dodge: Enables the pilot to make a dodge manoeuvre instead of a physical attack, inflicting a +2 accuracy penalty against enemy physical attacks during the melee phase.
-Evasive Action: By forfeiting the right to fire during the shooting phase, the pilot gains the ability to move evasively, inflicting an additional +1 penalty against incoming weapons fire and physical attacks. The unit must use its Running MP, have undamaged hips, and will gain an extra +2 heat at the end of the round.
-Hopping Jack: Pilot suffers a +2 penalty when firing after jumping instead of +3.
-Multi-Tasker: When splitting fire between multiple targets, secondary targeting penalties are reduced by 1.
-Rangemaster: Range modifiers for long and short range are switched.
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.

Relevant Design Quirks:
-Battle Fists: The mech receives a -1 accuracy bonus when punching.
-Cramped Cockpit: The pilot suffers a +1 penalty on piloting rolls.
-Extended Torso Twist: The mech can twist its torso one hex further than usual.
-Narrow Profile: The mech takes less damage from incoming weapons fire if the margin of success is +1 or lower. Direct fire weapons deal half damage, while cluster attacks receive a -4 penalty when determining the number of hits.
-Poor Workmanship: The unit takes a +1 penalty on critical rolls.

--

Primary Objectives:
-Eliminate enemy commander (Etienne Decimis) (0/1)
-Destroy at least four Fusilier battlemechs (0/4)

Secondary Objectives:
-Destroy the statue of Marquis Rousseau Decimis (Hex 1619) (50,000 C-Bill reward)
-Destroy City Militia base (All single hex buildings in the city block with the northernmost hex of 0208) (100,000 C-Bill reward)
-Destroy Militia Fuel Depot (150,000 C-Bill reward)

--

Next Orders Due: Tuesday 16th 9:00PM GMT.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 14, 2024

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Just a quick reminder - buildings take up all of the space in a hex they occupy, regardless of what it looks like on the map. This often means that your LOS in urban maps is much tighter than it might appear. If you aren't sure whether you have LOS then please don't hesitate to ask me.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Might run up to 0406, if I have line of sight on the Bulldog?

Otherwise maybe 0506 to set up for the next turn.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Otter Madness posted:

Might run up to 0406, if I have line of sight on the Bulldog?

Unfortunately you do not have LOS. While the edge of the building in 0407 may look like it only takes up 3/4 of the hex, it actually takes up all of it, which blocks your LOS.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gonna have to reach 0206 or 0207 for safe shots on that bulldog

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
You all might want to consider dog pilling the enemy hunchback this turn. The bulldog is a trap with the hetzer on overwatch over any possible hex that could reach it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

everydayfalls posted:

You all might want to consider dog pilling the enemy hunchback this turn. The bulldog is a trap with the hetzer on overwatch over any possible hex that could reach it.

+1 to this.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

everydayfalls posted:

There are some safe hexes, but overall we can put way more guns on the hbk-4h. only thing that can reasonably cover that hunchback is the vedette

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I can run to 0906 or back up to 1302. Backing is much safer but leaves me at long range; 0906 only getgs me to medium range AND requires R4 AND requires pilot checks. Strongly considering backing to 1302 at this point.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
If we are going for the Hunchback, I may bite the bullet and jump to 1107. I can eat the hits likely, and I can hopefully land an AC20 and SRM hit.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Yep, enemy Hunchback should be the primary target this turn. Depending on our shot odds, we might want to heat up this turn and see if we can plan a safe space to jump to next turn to cool off.

Anyone got any hex recommendations for the Lance? It's the same if the VTR jumps into short range or walks into medium, but we'd want it where it can be somewhere safe if it needs to cool down next turn.

Can the Firestarter see 0906?
Can we see the Bulldog from 0406?

For planning - The Hetz will likely end up between 0307 and 0506 next turn, so the alleyway we're in now will become a danger zone.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 14, 2024

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Amechwarrior posted:

Can the Firestarter see 0906?
Can we see the Bulldog from 0406?

No to both of these.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
If I walk to 0805 I am hitting on 8s but I can alpha and stay just under the movement penalty for heat I think (2+1walk+16wpn-15). Downside is that HBK is hitting on 8 and 6 for the AC.

If I jump to 1107, I'm still hitting on 8s, but all his weapons now hit on 8 as well. Downside is that of I alpha I am going to be taking penalties.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Given how the dice probabilities in bt work, 6 on AC sounds extremely scary.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Otter Madness posted:

If I walk to 0805 I am hitting on 8s but I can alpha and stay just under the movement penalty for heat I think (2+1walk+16wpn-15). Downside is that HBK is hitting on 8 and 6 for the AC.

If I jump to 1107, I'm still hitting on 8s, but all his weapons now hit on 8 as well. Downside is that of I alpha I am going to be taking penalties.

Are you factoring in the jump penalty for your own fire here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
I would say decide as a lance. Walk and take the hits, but have a great chance of finishing off the hbk. Or play it safe and only have a good chance to mission kill it.

My personal vote would be walk and take the hits, you have a collection of untouched heavy mechs. The chance of getting head capped is negligible and taking the heavy hitter of the board early is worth it.

But you lot make a decision and stick to it. Either path is viable at this point.