Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I haven’t seen it yet but I mean, was Napoleon not an egomaniac irl? I don’t see how you can literally crown yourself an emperor and not buy your own hype at least a little. Not that the people he was fighting weren’t also egomaniacs, who unlike Napoleon didn’t even have the decency to at least seize power instead of just being inbred enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Napoleon ftw

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It blames Napoleon for every person killed between 1790 and 1820 and finds Perfidious Albion to be utterly without sin

Also that dumbass poo poo where everyone in a historical movie speaks in a British accent, that got old a long time ago

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
More movies should follow The Death of Stalins lead and have every actor embrace their native accent regardless of setting. I want Antonio Banderas playing George Washington.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

did man in the iron mask have French accents or am I misremembering

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It blames Napoleon for every person killed between 1790 and 1820 and finds Perfidious Albion to be utterly without sin

Also that dumbass poo poo where everyone in a historical movie speaks in a British accent, that got old a long time ago

Also Napoleon was dumb and not actually good at war and nobody liked him and he was a creep to his wife or something

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

napoleon was cringe irl

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
he was mad suss. had no rizz.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

more like L aterloo

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lj99Uz1d50

the game of thrones fellas are adapting the 3 body problem

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

galagazombie posted:

I haven’t seen it yet but I mean, was Napoleon not an egomaniac irl? I don’t see how you can literally crown yourself an emperor and not buy your own hype at least a little. Not that the people he was fighting weren’t also egomaniacs, who unlike Napoleon didn’t even have the decency to at least seize power instead of just being inbred enough.

That he was an egomaniac is the most obvious and least interesting thing about him, really. There's plenty to dislike and I really don't think he should be claimed by leftists or whatever (just on Haiti alone), but this focus on how one of the most tumultuous periods in European history can be explained by "guy who did a coup and crowned himself emperor had a big ego, and that's why he went to war against everyone*" is not just shallow but also, it feels like to me, inherently conservative. Like you said, as if the monarchs who got into power via birth didn't think they were better than everyone too. The real problem is rising above your station, you see.

The movie treats this a lot under the angle of sexual frustration, which is already a bit more substantial than just "ego", but that one is also pretty played out in media, especially in an era where misogyny is so often used by libs as the skeleton key that explains politics.

I dunno, maybe I'm missing something here because I expected something different, or blinded by my own :france: bias.

*To its credit the movie does show him repeatedly trying to make peace, which makes it better than standard anglo mythmaking.

YaketySass has issued a correction as of 23:55 on Jan 10, 2024

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

i don't think it's meant to be sexual frustration driving him, or at least not in a negative sense. him and josephine are made for each other and bad to the bone and it's screwing her over that loses him his mojo. plus wellington is played by a muppet.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

i say swears online posted:

napoleon was cringe irl

that's why we love him

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Cringe isn't bad if you make it everyone else's problem

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Whenever I watch the Scott movie I'm grading on a curve. No film about Napoleon or that era will come close to Bondarchuk's War and Peace adaptation or Waterloo. Like even if it were a legit great film it would still be a full letter grade below Bondarchuk if only for how much film production has changed in the last 50 years (and for what the USSR made possible re: drilling thousands of Red Army soldiers in period-accurate maneuvers, etc.)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He was too cowardly to tell the truth which is that Napoleon was a goth mommy man.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Gumball Gumption posted:

He was too cowardly to tell the truth which is that Napoleon was a goth mommy man.

no he did he just portrayed that as a bad thing

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

exmarx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lj99Uz1d50

the game of thrones fellas are adapting the 3 body problem

they made a movie abotu a goon meetup 😂

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

YaketySass posted:

That he was an egomaniac is the most obvious and least interesting thing about him, really. There's plenty to dislike and I really don't think he should be claimed by leftists or whatever (just on Haiti alone), but this focus on how one of the most tumultuous periods in European history can be explained by "guy who did a coup and crowned himself emperor had a big ego, and that's why he went to war against everyone*" is not just shallow but also, it feels like to me, inherently conservative. Like you said, as if the monarchs who got into power via birth didn't think they were better than everyone too. The real problem is rising above your station, you see.

The movie treats this a lot under the angle of sexual frustration, which is already a bit more substantial than just "ego", but that one is also pretty played out in media, especially in an era where misogyny is so often used by libs as the skeleton key that explains politics.

I dunno, maybe I'm missing something here because I expected something different, or blinded by my own :france: bias.

*To its credit the movie does show him repeatedly trying to make peace, which makes it better than standard anglo mythmaking.

dumb bitch

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it really sucks that Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence weren't allowed to do big budget sci fi movies in the early to mid 90s

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

no movie would be better than a Martin Lawrence vehicle in 1998 with Eddie Murphy and Will Smith as secondary characters. doesn't matter what the premise is or the plot was. it would of been amazing

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indigi posted:

no movie would be better than a Martin Lawrence vehicle in 1998 with Eddie Murphy and Will Smith as secondary characters. doesn't matter what the premise is or the plot was. it would of been amazing

From my understanding of how Hollywood works, they literally would not have allowed that many A-list Black actors to be in a movie together that isn't like a low budget comedy, at least before like 2012

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

From my understanding of how Hollywood works, they literally would not have allowed that many A-list Black actors to be in a movie together that isn't like a low budget comedy, at least before like 2012

I know. and it sucks. this is what they robbed from us

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I think The Rock is a perfect movie that can't be improved upon in any way. but imagine a Rocklike with Eddie Murphy and Jamie Foxx and Martin Lawrence and Will Smith and Denzel Washington. god drat I’m about to faint

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They're all still alive.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh wow really. I didn't know that. are all these 60 and 70 year old actors alive now. idk why they can't open a movie in 2024

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

it feels like it'd run into the ocean's sixteen dilemma, where too many big names in the same movie make it feel overstuffed

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

a black Ocean's Eleven in 2003 would of been insaaaaaaaaane

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what white dude plays the Bernie Mac role in 2003 black oceans eleven. Joe Tuturro?

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

yeah. maybe steve zahn

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

indigi posted:

what white dude plays the Bernie Mac role in 2003 black oceans eleven. Joe Tuturro?

I'm on board now

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Zahn's a really good choice of the time. contemporary you'd have to pick Shea Wigham

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

alternately, larry the cable guy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

loquacius posted:

is he funny? like he has the look but idk if I've ever seen him act anywhere

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

indigi posted:

is he funny? like he has the look but idk if I've ever seen him act anywhere

He voiced Mater the lovable idiot tow truck in Disney's Pixar's Cars (2006)

e:

emphasis mine

loquacius has issued a correction as of 01:32 on Jan 11, 2024

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Larry the Cable Guy once arm wrestled some reservist so hard he broke his arm. Pretty badass

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Larry’s a good egg

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

loquacius posted:

not enough sidekick energy. it doesn't work if the white guy has too much juice

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Our Flag Means Death cancelled. officially happened. not surprised. s2 kinda sucked rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

indigi posted:

Jack Black