Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
They do last, I'm in the market for DD wheel when I have a bit more cash but my 14 year old Driving Force GT is still going strong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I would give that roughly a 100% chance of still working.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah it’s fine. There isn’t a ton to go wrong really.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Zosologist posted:

Hello friend,
Do you have a few moments to talk about what AMS2 can bring into your life?

So I had AMS2 - and might have it again given you're not the first to say that - but for the life of me I could not get it to see my pedals so I refunded. Logitech G Pro pedals, plugged into the wheel base - it has an option for that but just didn't see them no matter what. I could plug them into the PC but my kids play GT7 on the same rig and it's currently going through a USB switch - push button for PC, push again for PS5. That might be the issue, but no other title has this problem (iRacing/AC/ACC/F1 on PC, GT7 and Dirt 2 on PS5). Frustrating but I hear so much good about it lately I might try again.

e; Actually I didn't think about the switch being an issue until I typed this out - I'm probably going to give that a shot.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 11, 2024

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

squirrelzipper posted:

So I had AMS2 - and might have it again given you're not the first to say that - but for the life of me I could not get it to see my pedals so I refunded. Logitech G Pro pedals, plugged into the wheel base - it has an option for that but just didn't see them no matter what. I could plug them into the PC but my kids play GT7 on the same rig and it's currently going through a USB switch - push button for PC, push again for PS5. That might be the issue, but no other title has this problem (iRacing/AC/ACC/F1 on PC, GT7 and Dirt 2 on PS5). Frustrating but I hear so much good about it lately I might try again.

e; Actually I didn't think about the switch being an issue until I typed this out - I'm probably going to give that a shot.

Before you change that stuff try plugging the usb switch into a usb 2.0 port on your PC if you're currently plugging it into a 3.0+. Don't ask why.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Before you change that stuff try plugging the usb switch into a usb 2.0 port on your PC if you're currently plugging it into a 3.0+. Don't ask why.

Downloaded the AMS2 Demo, swapped to a different port and voila everything works - ty. Downloading the full game now - it's goddamn huge.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

squirrelzipper posted:

Downloaded the AMS2 Demo, swapped to a different port and voila everything works - ty. Downloading the full game now - it's goddamn huge.

Well poo poo if you're going to just do everything I say, download iracing and join us on the discord.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
This might be more appropriate for the iRacing thread but, I gave it a 2 year long fair shake, and I just don't understand the handling. Everyone else seems to enjoy it so much and I want to but, unlike every other sim where I'm mild to moderately competitive, I just end up in passenger slides every time I try to push. Finding the limit of grip seems more like a series of trial and error 1x offtracks, and less like driving any other sim. I am willing to shoulder the responsibility for this as it seems to be a me problem, but I just thought I'd stick a differing opinion into the mix.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Zosologist posted:

This might be more appropriate for the iRacing thread but, I gave it a 2 year long fair shake, and I just don't understand the handling. Everyone else seems to enjoy it so much and I want to but, unlike every other sim where I'm mild to moderately competitive, I just end up in passenger slides every time I try to push. Finding the limit of grip seems more like a series of trial and error 1x offtracks, and less like driving any other sim. I am willing to shoulder the responsibility for this as it seems to be a me problem, but I just thought I'd stick a differing opinion into the mix.

I feel the same, but I also realize I probably have way too much traction control and abs enabled on ac and F1. I respect iracing for making me think twice about hammering the gas on an exit

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
time to join me in the rally game where sliding means your an S-tier badass

Bruc
May 30, 2006
I've started playing WRC a bit over the last few days after having some annoying tech issues with it on initial release and deciding to wait for a few patches and when it finally clicked a bit for me it got so fun. The risk vs reward when it comes to deciding when to really push feels so much different from circuit racing and I feel like I am flailing around like a madman half the time and barely keeping myself from crashing, it rules.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Thanks for the AMS2 advice, got everything working and like I'd heard the VR and single player is great. Just did a 40 minute time accelerated Le Mans 24 with 12 LMDH and 19 GT3 cars in VR with variable weather. Ton of fun. Drives a bit different from other titles I've been spending time in (AC, ACC, GT7) but not so different I couldn't adjust. Visually very nice in VR, GT7 is still the prettiest girl in the room but I've been impressed with how other titles perform in VR with tweaks (Pure in AC, FOV tweaks in ACC) and AMS2 looked great. Also - can every other developer adopt the VR "look cursor" that AMS2 has? Like holy poo poo that's useful, particularly since most titles don't support VR controls and having to use a mouse with a headset on is a huge PITA. AMS2 is quirky though - in a good way, just such an odd assortment of cars. I'm not really into GT3/4 here as that's what ACC does well, and I have AC for free roam/touge, so having all these retro Formula cars and oddballs is kind of cool. And my NLR racing fixed seat for my wheel stand just shipped (ordered in early Nov.) so I am almost complete rig wise. (As soon as it arrives Logi will launch a GT wheel with 4 rotary encoders and a proper shifter for the PRO line).

e; iRacing is a bit off for me, I have a code but haven't redeemed yet since I have so much content between AC/ACC LFM and single player. I will hunt iGoons down once I get there tho. If you haven't tried it yet and you have AC the LFM races are really good and varied. Did the MX5 cup around Hockenheim tonite and it's such a fun race as is the F3 at Zandvoort. There's LMP3, VRC, Cupra TCR, and other events. It's good fun and was clean even down in the bottom split where us slow pokes are.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 13, 2024

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

We have so many TCR lovers for iracing too, gt4/lmp3 is an official race format.. we even do unaccelerated le mans!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I feel the same, but I also realize I probably have way too much traction control and abs enabled on ac and F1. I respect iracing for making me think twice about hammering the gas on an exit

It's kind of a counterintuitive thing but I think the reason people run up against this in iracing is because they're dropped in to driving slow, essentially road cars and if you're coming from something where you've been blapping around in higher tier racecars or supercars you're just used to going too fast.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Vando posted:

It's kind of a counterintuitive thing but I think the reason people run up against this in iracing is because they're dropped in to driving slow, essentially road cars and if you're coming from something where you've been blapping around in higher tier racecars or supercars you're just used to going too fast.

I've done plenty of mx-5 in AC and can whip it around cota and zandvoort without losing the rear tires.

In iracing if I miss the brake pressure by a little bit, or pump a little too much gas through a turn, I lose the entire car.

Again, I think my next step is to remove all traction control and abs from AC and then compare. Iracing feels punishing for both.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah if you've been driving with assists on in AC it's naturally going to feel harder in iRacing when all that stuff is stripped away.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The only allowed driver assists in an MX5 is ABS brakes and a torsen diff :colbert:

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Vando posted:

I ran multiple seasons of f3, gt4 and Porsche cup, all of which should have a reasonable amount of grip. I maintained around 1600-2k irating, which isn’t great but not the worst.

It was almost always in braking zones, or into the entry of corners while trail breaking. Almost like the brake balance was off, but I could never get it dialed in.

I’m having a blast with lfm on ac though.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Zosologist posted:

This might be more appropriate for the iRacing thread but, I gave it a 2 year long fair shake, and I just don't understand the handling.

Ditto. I think there's something fundamentally off about iRacing. I raced it for a couple of years too. Got a perfect safety rating and won races, but I never really enjoyed the handling. Compare something like the Lotus 49 in AC and iRacing. In AC it's perfectly driveable at a moderate pace and only becomes difficult when you're going fast. In iRacing I could barely keep it on track. (And I did a 7:55 in GPL around Nordschleife... Erm, some 20 years ago.)

To be fair, it's been a couple of years, and I know they've updated iRacing's tire model (probably multiple times) and it's supposed to be much better, but now I just can't be bothered to go back.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

We have so many TCR lovers for iracing too, gt4/lmp3 is an official race format.. we even do unaccelerated le mans!

Yeah the iRacing pricing model grates on me a bit, it's odd because after what I've spent on hardware it's not that big a deal but I feel like it nickel and dimes people and prevents exploration and experimentation. It's not a huge deal but given the AC races on LFM I'm seeing I guess I just don't see a compelling reason to go with iRacing. Plus it looks like microwaved butt comparatively imo, it's not the worst but it is kind of dated. We'll see - the fact that AC is mostly mod content and LFM is basically a free 3rd party service with no accountability also carries a lot of baggage.

e; on topic been playing AMS2 SP - it's very good in VR, the glance menu thing is awesome. Formula cars without abs are fun - it's cool to actually see the wheels lock as you slide to your death lol

njsykora posted:

Yeah if you've been driving with assists on in AC it's naturally going to feel harder in iRacing when all that stuff is stripped away.

MX-5 cup cars in AC on LFM have no assists other than what is available in the actual cars ircc. I'm not sure if the poster you're responding to was driving that tho.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 14, 2024

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I mean it is grating but you're paying for server time and licences. I dunno what their profits are like vs coats but the tracks aren't free for em.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

With iRacing you're paying for the multiplayer experience / community, the infractructure and the further development of the game. If all you want to do is race cool cars on cool tracks and you're happy racing VS AI there's literally no point paying for iRacing, despite the fact that it CAN do those things (and do them well) you may as well buy them standalone on AC or some other sim.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I love iRacing but it definitely isn't for everyone. And I reckon with Assetto Corsa 2 coming this year (?) everyone will have a nice new and up to date modding platform for years and years to come. (They confirmed they are using their own tech again instead of Unreal) So that will be cool even if I never really got into it myself.

I am still very surprised by the fact that iRacing announced they are working on a full blown singleplayer mode with progression. I'm not sure how the hell that will work given the structure of content purchases and so on.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
They do also let you drive any car you have downloaded (not just purchased) when they have downtime for updates with test drive.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Boar It posted:

I love iRacing but it definitely isn't for everyone. And I reckon with Assetto Corsa 2 coming this year (?) everyone will have a nice new and up to date modding platform for years and years to come.

Which title is the current choice of modding platform?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Which title is the current choice of modding platform?

Assetto Corsa

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

KillHour posted:

Assetto Corsa

Yep. And I guess BeamNG to some extent but that isn't really focused on competitive racing despite what the community surrounding that says.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

On the other hand when companies who control the main sim racing modding platform have released a sequel expecting it to continue it hasn't gone well.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Anyone have advice from switching from left hand drive to single seater? I feel like i can rub a sticker off the car without scratching the paint in a left hand drive but have no idea where my wheels are in a Formula style car. Just time on track to get used to it or is there a trick/tips?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just have to spend the time smacking into things until you stop smacking into things

The real answer is you need to identify some points on the car that you can call “the edge” and work on how close you can get the edge to things before it makes contact.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

KillHour posted:

Assetto Corsa

At least one thing hasn't changed in the last four or so years.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

njsykora posted:

On the other hand when companies who control the main sim racing modding platform have released a sequel expecting it to continue it hasn't gone well.

AFAIK, KUNOS was always against modding AC and the community basically had to reverse engineer everything to make it happen.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

KillHour posted:

AFAIK, KUNOS was always against modding AC and the community basically had to reverse engineer everything to make it happen.

Really? I thought it was set up for modding out of the box. At least they are building AC2 with modding in mind as far as I remember.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

KillHour posted:

Where are you getting this? The game shipped with modding tools, including a WYSIWYG asset importer. Their website lists modding as a selling point:

"Assetto Corsa features a modding editor that enables drivers to fully customize their driving experience. The game comes with an innovative app-based overlay system, allowing users to choose which information to display on their screens. Its high level of simulation and customizable options make it a popular choice among esports organizers, car manufacturers, and simulator makers for various applications through the AC PRO program."

Wikipedia also says they initially wanted to develop on Unity but decided to use custom tech instead over concerns of moddability. Unfortunately the primary sources are in italian, otherwise I'd cite those.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

KillHour posted:

I think you're thinking of another racing sim. I don't believe this is true for AC.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Kvlt! posted:

Anyone have advice from switching from left hand drive to single seater? I feel like i can rub a sticker off the car without scratching the paint in a left hand drive but have no idea where my wheels are in a Formula style car. Just time on track to get used to it or is there a trick/tips?

I find using rumble strips or grass is a good way to sus out where the tires are, drive real slow and edge onto the curb to get a sense for where they are in relation to the drivers seat. Then its just seat time until it feels natural.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Just have to spend the time smacking into things until you stop smacking into things

The real answer is you need to identify some points on the car that you can call “the edge” and work on how close you can get the edge to things before it makes contact.

Just tried a few laps using this tip and its definitely helping, thank you!!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ac2 better have good peer to peer multiplayer. I can never get ac1 server running.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Brownie posted:

Where are you getting this? The game shipped with modding tools, including a WYSIWYG asset importer. Their website lists modding as a selling point:

"Assetto Corsa features a modding editor that enables drivers to fully customize their driving experience. The game comes with an innovative app-based overlay system, allowing users to choose which information to display on their screens. Its high level of simulation and customizable options make it a popular choice among esports organizers, car manufacturers, and simulator makers for various applications through the AC PRO program."

Wikipedia also says they initially wanted to develop on Unity but decided to use custom tech instead over concerns of moddability. Unfortunately the primary sources are in italian, otherwise I'd cite those.

Yeah I have no idea what I was thinking about. I'm sure my wires got crossed with some other forum drama that happened with AC but I have no idea what :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

KillHour posted:

Yeah I have no idea what I was thinking about. I'm sure my wires got crossed with some other forum drama that happened with AC but I have no idea what :psyduck:

You monster.