Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

The Last Call posted:

I'm glad to hear it.

Could you show me some articles about it.

I'm quite curious on what ones that said and faked it.
i'll find some articles but, coincidently, codey's showdy put out an episode about it just a few hours ago!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLtzmRknRSU
his sarcasm stops at...hold on...hold on...1:18

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/08/business/organized-shoplifting-retail-crime-theft-retraction.html

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/what-comes-after-retails-false-organized-crime-claim-110030437.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Target announced they were closing stores in SF.

I've lived here for 10 years and I've never even knew they had Targets there.

The Last Call posted:

I'm glad to hear it.

Could you show me some articles about it.

I'm quite curious on what ones that said and faked it.

https://ritholtz.com/2023/12/retail-lobby-we-lied-about-organized-theft/
Not sure who the guy is but he cites sources.
-----

quote:

“The main lobbying group for U.S. retailers retracted its claim that “organized retail crime” accounted for nearly half of all inventory losses in 2021 after finding that incorrect data was used for its analysis.” - Reuters

quote:

After six months of relentless propaganda on crime, the NRF had to edit the claim that “nearly half” of inventory losses were organized crime.

It’s not.

The actual number? About 5%, or 1/10 as much.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I was shopping at K-Mart once and got in line at the only working register, the first person finished paying and left and then the little old lady in front of me, who only had a giant thing of fabric softener in her cart, pushed right past the cashier and straight out the door without paying. The cashier gave a half hearted "Hey..." and we both watched the lady, who didn't look a day less then 80, go.

Anyway K-Mart went out of business because of a crooked libertarian venture capitalist

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

The Last Call posted:

There's a depressing number of vids out there of people recording others filling up bags or carts with small or expensive things and walking straight out the door. In a few of these vids random shoppers try to stop them. Otherwise the person goes to their car or whatever and drives off.

If no one stops them they often drive to a place on the same street and repeat.

It's why several stores have closed down in various locations in the States, it was that bad and constant.

Won’t someone think of the poor corporation

Target closed three stores in the Seattle metro, those “marketplace” Targets that never had poo poo in stock after blaming it on theft

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 11, 2024

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

The rise in retail theft is directly proportional to the amount of money higher ups made by cutting back on retail staff.

It's a real case of "why are we paying for this umbrella when we're not getting wet?"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Idgaf if someone steals some poo poo just keep your goddamn carts outta the 9 items or less line or I will CUT YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lol if you were shopping and someone was stealing poo poo, why would you give even the slightest gently caress?

If I were an employee I wouldn't even give a gently caress

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

kazil posted:

lol if you were shopping and someone was stealing poo poo, why would you give even the slightest gently caress?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
You can see a bunch of vids of people smash grabbing in SF. But, as far as I know it's not every second of every day in every city like some media outlets would want you to believe. Like during the BLM protests, my dad legit thinks all the cities were burned to the ground. He even called and asked how my city was and just gave a simple "huh??" when I told him nothing other than a white chick from 2 cities over smashed a window and stole jewelry and she got caught.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

kazil posted:

yeah what stupid gently caress is going to defend the honor of Target Corporation by putting themselves in harm's way lmfao

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I think stealing is bad but people have been stealing poo poo since stores were invented, the only difference is that now people have smartphones that allow you to feel like you're there in the moment

Trump:

Also here's a big surprise for tonight!!!:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Strong Sauce posted:

Target announced they were closing stores in SF.

I've lived here for 10 years and I've never even knew they had Targets there.

https://ritholtz.com/2023/12/retail-lobby-we-lied-about-organized-theft/
Not sure who the guy is but he cites sources.
-----

Thanks for the sources, for awhile there so many articles were coming out about it before Christmas. The one about Target being the one often dominating, that and a rise in vids about blantant theft going on certainly did paint a bad image of things. Mostly the state of things for common people which....

Corn Glizzy posted:

Won’t someone think of the poor corporation

.....tells us how horrible things were getting for regular people. No one gives a gently caress about the corporations. There is plenty stories of normal every day people however struggling. You know, food banks talk about it, people with families talking about how they're struggling to afford food or medicine even. Corporations seem to be making more and more money than ever and yet that is not being shown in every day society with people. They are enduring hard times and it speaks of how badly things have been hosed up that the richer get richer and the poorer get poorer and the middle class is shrinking.

poo poo really needs to change is the point.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

The gently caress is “a fair the Welle”

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

everyone laugh at this guy who doesn't use to a fair the Welle

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Three Olives posted:

Look, gently caress her, but if Target is going to constantly bitch about people stealing knowing that it plays right into the message that Republicans want to broadcast, that crime is out of control under Biden and leadership of liberal cities (It's not and Target has settled several lawsuits over wage theft) HIRE SOME GODDAMN CHECKERS!

If you are going to make your customers work as unpaid employees, you don't really get to bitch too much if they steal some poo poo.

Yeah but checkers aren't going to do poo poo and are often instructed to not do poo poo, and aren't inclined to do poo poo anyways, because they don't have the authority to do anything, and they aren't paid to get verbally or physically assaulted by someone shoplifting.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Post itt every time you lol that trump put it out

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Toxic Mental posted:

everyone laugh at this guy who doesn't use to a fair the Welle

I fuckin' a fair the Welle the other day and it was amazing

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Thank you Mr. Chairman, I would like to just for a moment respond to something my colleague the shaved sasquach from Georgia just said

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

kazil posted:

Walked in on a frazzled guy stealing diapers and baby supplies once. At least, I thought I did. Realized my allergies were messing with my eyes and I was just seeing things.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I will also add, I'm guessing there is conservatively thousands of dollars of items that I have gotten home and realized I was charged for but the check/bagger failed to load them into my cart or I later discovered the packaging was damaged and they were stale or something.

Also, fun story, one time I bought a USB Wi-Fi adaptor at Walmart and some ground beef, I had plans for dinner so I decided just to go back for the ground beef. I think the beef was like $13 and the USB adaptor was like $40. I call them and they are just like, we found it, go to customer service and they will give it back to you. "So I go back and they tell me to go over to a corner to wait. I'm there for like 15 minutes and about to just walk out and all of a sudden I am confronted by the store manager and multiple security people and the store manager is like "Sir, we take theft very seriously. We have video of you putting it in your cart, I need you to sign this form acknowledging that you are no longer welcome in Walmart and that if you enter the store we will prosecute you for trespassing. If you don't sign the form we will be calling the police."

I'm like, WTF? You can't be serious, I assure you I did not put it in my cart, I am 100% sure, I bought like 7 items, I swear to god, unless I had a stroke or a mental episode, I did not put this into my cart. And they told me on the phone that they found it!"

"Sir, I will repeat what I said, we have video of you putting it in your cart, you are no longer welcome in Walmart, I need you to sign this form or we will call the police"

"This is insane! Show me the video, why would I go to this much effort to steal like $13 dollars of ground beef, I just spent like $90!"

:raise: "Beef?" *conference*

"Please wait here."

"Sir, I am so sorry, we reviewed the tape again and you did in fact not get your beef, the customer service woman accidentally highlighted USB WiFi that was right below the beef, please accept our apology and this $50 gift card"

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Three Olives posted:

I will also add, I'm guessing there is conservatively thousands of dollars of items that I have gotten home and realized I was charged for but the check/bagger failed to load them into my cart or I later discovered the packaging was damaged and they were stale or something.

Also, fun story, one time I bought a USB Wi-Fi adaptor at Walmart and some ground beef, I had plans for dinner so I decided just to go back for the ground beef. I think the beef was like $13 and the USB adaptor was like $40. I call them and they are just like, we found it, go to customer service and they will give it back to you. "So I go back and they tell me to go over to a corner to wait. I'm there for like 15 minutes and about to just walk out and all of a sudden I am confronted by the store manager and multiple security people and the store manager is like "Sir, we take theft very seriously. We have video of you putting it in your cart, I need you to sign this form acknowledging that you are no longer welcome in Walmart and that if you enter the store we will prosecute you for trespassing. If you don't sign the form we will be calling the police."

I'm like, WTF? You can't be serious, I assure you I did not put it in my cart, I am 100% sure, I bought like 7 items, I swear to god, unless I had a stroke or a mental episode, I did not put this into my cart. And they told me on the phone that they found it!"

"Sir, I will repeat what I said, we have video of you putting it in your cart, you are no longer welcome in Walmart, I need you to sign this form or we will call the police"

"This is insane! Show me the video, why would I go to this much effort to steal like $13 dollars of ground beef, I just spent like $90!"

:raise: "Beef?" *conference*

"Please wait here."

"Sir, I am so sorry, we reviewed the tape again and you did in fact not get your beef, the customer service woman accidentally highlighted USB WiFi that was right below the beef, please accept our apology and this $50 gift card"

im glad my life isnt as hard as yours

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

3O once again lording his beef wealth over us plebes

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

And then everyone's personal shopper stood up and clapped

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/EliseStefanik/status/1745163432603553997

Hmmmm....

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
judge energon doing melania a solid by taking trump away while she is trying to grieve

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

trump sits in an interrogation room and puts his hand on the two-way mirror. he feels a moment of heat on his tiny hands from engoron's hand on the other side

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

do you think Trump knows his mother-in-law's name?

wonder which golf course he'll bury her at

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

The gently caress is “a fair the Welle”

And a fare thee well to you, good sir

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

a fair the Welle these nuts.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

The Last Call posted:

Thanks for the sources, for awhile there so many articles were coming out about it before Christmas.
it's fine, these types of things are made to be persuasive and everywhere. you remember the lady who burned herself with mcdonalds coffee? there are entire generations that believe she was stupid and poor poor mcdonalds was the victim of overly litigious scumbags. i took a food safety course and i was the only one who raised their had when the instructor asked if we thought that the lawsuit was justified.
100% it was, for many many reasons. but sooooo many people don't know the real story

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Junk posted:

im glad my life isnt as hard as yours

We just installed a fridge and freezer in our garage so we don't have to be home when Walmart delivers our groceries, so there is always hope.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

no it was not justified because they reduced the amount of damages a bunch of times and she only got like half a million, a just lawsuit would have seen her take their brand away or something

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Three Olives posted:

We just installed a fridge and freezer in our garage so we don't have to be home when Walmart delivers our groceries, so there is always hope.

Please, tell us more if your luxuries in the Trump lol thread.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

100% those were NOT school supplies to desperate teachers.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
you guys remember when the trump admin went to court to argue that immigrant children don't deserve soap and blankets?

anyway. 70 year old man has the sads :( :(

jokes posted:

no it was not justified because they reduced the amount of damages a bunch of times and she only got like half a million, a just lawsuit would have seen her take their brand away or something
hmm? she asked for a hundred thousand for medical bills and the jury decided that mcdonalds were acting so scummy they awarded her 3 million

InsertPotPun fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 11, 2024

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Three Olives posted:

eat poo poo

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

InsertPotPun posted:

hmm? she asked for a hundred thousand for medical bills and the jury decided that mcdonalds were acting so scummy they awarded her 3 million

they did and the judge adjusted down the compensatory damages to 480k, which is a real spit in the face considering what mcdonalds did to her afterwards anyways

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
I also have a fridge and chest freezer in my garage but would never patronize Walmart lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1745252667297796418

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1745246915573195200

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1745255412859912681

hunter biden Hunter Biden HUNTER BIDEN