Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think I'm pretty amused that this is the hill that McAfee's choosing to die on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

McAfee seems to be trying to flip the narrative and make this about ESPN being bad or something, when he willingly signed up for this, and has been given way more freedom on content than the LeBatard Show had when they were on ESPN. All of this over Rodgers making a legally actionable comment about another Disney employee...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh and now ESPN is apologizing for the incident

https://twitter.com/MMcCarthyREV/status/1743382865876840630?s=20

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

McAfee complaining about his bosses feels like a work. I'm sure there is truth in this Norby exec disliking him but McAfee wouldn't be the first ESPN guy to lean into pissing off the execs.
I'm sure some people at ESPN/ABC/Disney probably don't love Rodgers coming on to start poo poo but I'm sure many other there don't really care as long as the numbers go up.

edited: for clarity

BWV fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 6, 2024

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The Dominion settlement cost Fox $800 million. I don't think exec at Disney is taking the situation lightly.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Simplex posted:

The Dominion settlement cost Fox $800 million. I don't think exec at Disney is taking the situation lightly.

Sorry, to clarify, I was saying that McAfee complaining about his bosses is the work, not McAfee having Rodgers on to talk poo poo about Kimmel.

I'll change my post to make that clear

As for the liablity side, I don't really see it as the same thing. One is a company who demonstrated that they lost money based on unethical and knowingly false news reporting. The other is a celebrity talk show host who is getting rightfully upset that a known lunatic said something ridiculous. Both are obviously bad looks but I don't see the latter resulting in any lawsuit, especially as he'd be suing his employer of 20+ years who we assume he still wants to work for.

BWV fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 6, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don't think an actual lawsuit is likely, but it's crazy that you can have a major media figure at one end of a company platforming a guy who will make slanderous accusations about another company employee

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
They should give Kyrie an ESPN show.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

with how large media companies have become it's surprising something like this hasn't happened already. I more or less agree with Nick Wright, in that the real story is that the Aaron Rodgers is a loving lunatic and that the media side of the story should be less about Jimmy Kimmel and more about how to cover someone like Rodgers.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Seams posted:

They should give Kyrie an ESPN show.
At the rate this is going, that will be a summer launch

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Is McAfee rethinking that deal he signed and trying to get bought out?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I think he doesn't care, because he has the leverage.

ESPN needs him more than he needs them.

If he gets bought out he gets bought out.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

BWV posted:

Sorry, to clarify, I was saying that McAfee complaining about his bosses is the work, not McAfee having Rodgers on to talk poo poo about Kimmel.

I'll change my post to make that clear

As for the liablity side, I don't really see it as the same thing. One is a company who demonstrated that they lost money based on unethical and knowingly false news reporting. The other is a celebrity talk show host who is getting rightfully upset that a known lunatic said something ridiculous. Both are obviously bad looks but I don't see the latter resulting in any lawsuit, especially as he'd be suing his employer of 20+ years who we assume he still wants to work for.
There're some assumptions about things that I would make 10 years ago, that me personally, I'm just not going to make anymore. I default to that if someone is showing you their rear end, there's no secret plan behind it.

As far as Kimmel I wouldn't think his first impulse is to go scorched Earth on everybody, but it's definitely a possibility if he's unhappy with how the situation is handled.

Which, to circle back to my first point, I'm not convinced McAfee actually understands what's going on here, and who's holding the cards. I don't know who the guest was on LeBatard's show, but he was raising the point that this is the example that was always given in media trainings. You can't go on air and call someone a pedophile. This is such a clear, black and white situation, that McAfee even trying to defend it is a problem.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Simplex posted:

There're some assumptions about things that I would make 10 years ago, that me personally, I'm just not going to make anymore. I default to that if someone is showing you their rear end, there's no secret plan behind it.

As far as Kimmel I wouldn't think his first impulse is to go scorched Earth on everybody, but it's definitely a possibility if he's unhappy with how the situation is handled.

Which, to circle back to my first point, I'm not convinced McAfee actually understands what's going on here, and who's holding the cards. I don't know who the guest was on LeBatard's show, but he was raising the point that this is the example that was always given in media trainings. You can't go on air and call someone a pedophile. This is such a clear, black and white situation, that McAfee even trying to defend it is a problem.

Like I think people are misunderstanding something. That statement about people trying to take down his show. was not about this. It was about someone(the dude he mentioned) leaking false or misleading ratings numbers before the real ones that were actually fairly positive for his show.

The Pedophile accusations McAfee isn't *really* trying to defend it, as something that they should be able to do. He is trying to minimize it by saying, Oops sorry we like to have fun and make some jokes and this one went far or whatever. That's not particularly like a good apology or mea culpa or anything. But like he clearly put on his best sleeves and tried to squash it. And then ESPN themselves put out a formal apology. To try and keep from getting sued.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 6, 2024

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Important to remember that Kimmel works for Disney as well. So ESPN is looking at this as an outside entity coming onto its network and slandering one of their employees.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Dexo posted:

Like I think people are misunderstanding something. That statement about people trying to take down his show. was not about this. It was about someone(the dude he mentioned) leaking false or misleading ratings numbers before the real ones that were actually fairly positive for his show.

Okay, that's fair enough. I'll raise my hand that I misunderstood this, but I will say pretty bad timing on his part.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/KniggaNoah/status/1742926507503448407

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The NCAA thread has already answered how to pronounce his name with “Noah Naysayer”.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Simplex posted:

I think I'm pretty amused that this is the hill that McAfee's choosing to die on.

His lawyers probably told him that there's a possibility that his punishment could be having to wear a shirt with sleeves.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rodgers made a non-apology apology today

https://twitter.com/mediaite/status/1744796845841252752?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Wow, who could have guessed this was everyone else’s fault except Aaron Rodgers’?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Cynically I understand that ESPN lets him keep coming on because it might mean people tune in to their non-live-sports content (I have no interest in watching PTI/AtH/First Take anymore), but I’m so curious if the ratings are actually pretty poor for McAfee, and that exec spilling the beans would spoil the only “interesting” thing they’ve had going for them since most of the big names left and it became the SAS channel

edit: I completely forgot this happened; Jeopardy’s hosts post-Trebek has really been something to behold

https://x.com/slmandel/status/1744787038715720106?s=20

Nybble fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 9, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I thought Mcafee's ratings were pretty good?

And yeah Rogers was actually pretty decent at hosting. He's fairly naturally charismatic and he doesn't really care about people watching him, which is a good combo for a game show host. Doesn't mean you know poo poo about anything though.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

He was awful

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
McAfee ratings are fine, but it's data any side can present to suit their argument.

SportsCenter a year ago had higher television ratings, Pat's down 12%~

Ah, but he has 400k+ YouTube viewers

Ah, but what's ESPN's cut of the ad revenue on Pat's YT shows, and are they seeing audience, uh, cross-over (retention doesn't work for this sort of thing) into other ESPN properties?

Ah, but should everyone involved be thrown into a ravine and their salaries used to fund social programs?

And so on

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
It is pretty wild to spend 20 minutes of supposedly prime sports time to talk about Dr. Fouci and Jimmy Kimmel when the National Championship just happened the night prior, on their own network

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Katie Nolan is putting up Andy Richter type numbers on Celebrity Jeopardy

https://twitter.com/AWSM_SportMedia/status/1744901854381678940

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/1745158830785278441?s=46&t=LoZaJh99UmJ9X87kU4A0dA

ohhhhh hell yes :munch:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Flozell Adams?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean was he even talking about football on that show?

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/1745130739748765878?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think he talked about football after like half an hour of rambling about Covid, Fauci, Kimmel, the media, cancel culture, and how much research he’s done and how smart he is and how everyone else is out to get him.

I think. I don’t know because that show is unwatcheable even when he’s not on.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
This is only going to convince Rodgers further that he is being censored :lmao:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He's the guy from the 'I'M BEING CENSORED!' cartoon IRL

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Weird timing. Zion is playing pretty good right now.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
My assumption was it was lebetard but I don’t think he’s big enough for SAS to drop a teaser for

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I thought Whitlock was the one everyone had beef with?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It is Whitlock
https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/1745193095124136075

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://x.com/stephenasmith/status/59029375617740801?s=20

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Who was the homosexual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

soggybagel posted:

Who was the homosexual

NOT Kobe Bryant!

Listening to his take on Whitlock and while I'm enjoying him roast one of the world's all time morons, it feels like we are currently in peak Sports Media Chat (Media Apex Mountain, if you will). I get that the Rodgers thing became news and this poo poo does big numbers online but it feels like everywhere I look/listen is just Sport Take Guys becoming Sports Media Take Guys.

I don't love it. And it's not even like I'm missing The Sports, I just find it can get so self involved and sucks all the air out of everything. Keep it moving people!