Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Shawn Michaels went on a major PPV and threw a temper tantrum against Hulk Hogan and that sure wasn't 1997 on top of tons of backstage fights and grudges held in WWE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Alaois posted:

Bro how can you say Vince would have 100% nipped it in the bud and then in the same sentence reference an incredibly high profile example of a time he didnt do that

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 31 minutes!

C. Everett Koop posted:

There was a thought that the initial All In was in Chicago so that Punk would be on the card, and when he wasn't it allowed Colt to be in the pre-show battle royale. Even after that, Colt wasn't one of AEW's initial signings with the potential idea that they would bring in Punk; when Colt finally showed up the immediate general consensus was that AEW wasn't going to be bringing in Punk after all.

I can't remember when, but after Punk did join there was one Dynamite where both were on the same show, and after that Colt didn't appear on Dynamite again until one of Punk's extended absenses.

No one had to leak poo poo to anyone; everyone put 2 and 2 together and realized that these two people weren't going to be in the same locker room.

Everyone managed to do the wrong thing afterwards, but Tony's lack of leadership still stands out. I don't believe the notion that the booker/promoter has to rule with an iron fist, but they do need the ability to command authority and demand respect when necessary and it's not in Tony's nature to do this. It's why Andrade thinks he can smack Sammy and believe he can get his way, and why Perry thought he could do what he wanted and get away with it.

Say what you want about Vince, but he absolutely would have gotten all parties involved in the same room and nipped this poo poo in the bud. Maybe you make money off of this, maybe you don't, but unless you were Shawn Michaels in '97 you weren't going to go on TV and make any reference to this without it being approved beforehand.

you do NOT in fact have to hand it to Vince McMahon

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

History Comes Inside! posted:

I still don’t know what the account sharing thing was meant to tell us about him.

I think something that tells us even more about him is I don’t think he’s ever said anything about Punk since their suit was settled.
I think he meant it a few ways, all via implication:

* Look at the mama's boy, living in his parents' basement or something.

* He was hiding money somehow (in a domestic bank account with his name on it that he shared the details of in discovery?!?).

* He had more money than he was letting on to Punk and Punk felt that he should have been able to contribute to the lawsuit defense as a result. (I know he's told people this privately, which, even if true, conveniently ignores that there's a big difference between "having money" and "having enough money to defend a defamation lawsuit that wasn't your fault in the first place." Punk's legal bill ended up being $1.2 million, none of which he was able to recoup, although he did insist early on that he wanted it to go to trial.)

Shard posted:

In his rant at the scrum Punk said he didn't understand why anyone would think he had anything to do with it and then went on a rant about how much of a bad human colt cabana was and how he wanted to do with his account sharing rear end. He gave all the reasons his boss might keep colt away from him.
The way I like to explain it is that even in the event Punk genuinely didn't try to ace out Cabana, Tony Khan did a great job making it look like he did. Take a look at the chain of events as the locker room knew it:

* Though he's also talent in a limited capacity, Cabana's main job in AEW is as a producer/coach/road agent, where he's well-liked by those he works with.

* CM Punk comes into the company. On his first night in, he makes (in response to a question from me about if he was hopeful that he'd be able to bury the hatchet with those he had past heat with, oops) a pointed comment about not having any issues with anyone who was in the building that night. Cabana wasn't there, as he was booked at Gathering of the Juggalos, the timing of which was a coincidence since he works the Gathering shows every year and it was booked before the Punk stuff was happening.

* Punk ends up doing commentary on a match where he very obviously makes a point of not mentioning Cabana, who's at ringside.

* Cabana goes on a trip to Australia to film Young Rock, which gets extended due to filming delays.

* A week before he returns, Ace Steel, his and Punk's original trainer who's now firmly in The Punk Camp, is hired as a producer.

* Cabana returns, works one week of TV, and disappears, not being flown to TV, perhaps initially because his contract is coming due.

* Cabana is offered a new deal, but it's soon rescinded without explanation. He ends up getting the contract when the Bucks and others push the idea that he made sense for ROH as a wrestler and producer.

* Cabana returns at Supercard of Honor, where he makes a point of hugging the announcers and everyone is noticeably emotional.

* Over the next several months, Cabana sits at home on gardening leave, doing nothing other than working ROH PPVs, even though all of the other "earmarked for ROH" talent was eventually brought to TV. He's not even brought to the AEW Dark tapings in Orlando, which Punk is not at, features the "ROH" talent a bit, etc. He only works overseas AEW exhibition matches at video game conventions.

That was where everything stood as of Brawl Out. Based on that, of course everyone concluded that he was being kept away from Punk and, to a lesser extent, AEW shows proper.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Alaois posted:

Bro how can you say Vince would have 100% nipped it in the bud and then in the same sentence reference an incredibly high profile example of a time he didnt do that

Vince in '97 was scared to death of losing Michaels to WCW, since he didn't know Michaels was going to get hurt and Austin was going to go nuclear and end his money woes.

As for the Hogan match, Michaels basically turned back face immediately after and everyone acted like it never happened and no rematches were ever teased.

No one's ever been able to explain Vince's soft spot for Michaels, outside of the WCW fears, and I'm not going to be that one.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And how long was Bill DeMott working as head trainer?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurks With Wolves posted:

The part I really disagreed with was that AEW was leaving so much money on the table by not forcing a Punk/Elite feud. Because yeah, Shawn and Bret had a good match at Survivor Series until the screwjob blew everything up, but that's not the part I'd be worried about. It's the TV leading up to that feud where you had episode plotlines like "DX framed the Hart Foundation for being massively racist" where both sides just kind of hate each other in a way that's uncomfortable to watch.

The wrestling community has been in a carny "everything must be turned into an angle or you're leaving money on the table" mindset for decades, and at some point you need to admit something would just make things really awkward and the views you get without doing it are still fine.

In retrospect, it was weird that Punk really wanted that Punk/Elite feud considering his feelings on the Hangman match.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

C. Everett Koop posted:

Vince in '97 was scared to death of losing Michaels to WCW, since he didn't know Michaels was going to get hurt and Austin was going to go nuclear and end his money woes.

As for the Hogan match, Michaels basically turned back face immediately after and everyone acted like it never happened and no rematches were ever teased.

No one's ever been able to explain Vince's soft spot for Michaels, outside of the WCW fears, and I'm not going to be that one.

None of this makes it less of a failure in leadership than Tony Khan also letting his big star have too much leash to escalate drama into a total disaster

Vince just had the extremely situational luck that the post Montreal disaster could be woven into business that was ready to boom

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He tells it like it is.

"Tell me... when I'm tellin' lies."
Crowd: "All~the~time!" *Clap clap clapclapclap*

The337th posted:

Vince just had the extremely situational luck that the post Montreal disaster could be woven into business that was ready to boom

Honestly you could have just stopped after the word 'luck' because that's helped Vince more than anything save "inheriting" a giant thriving promotion with arguably wrestling's biggest star and its biggest US arenas which is also lucky now that I think about it.

Sorry, whenever people yell about how Tony got handed everything and imply Vince bootstrapped or whatever it grates.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

the idea that aew "fumbled" punk is hilarious when you remember everything punk did before AEW

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

No one's ever been able to explain Vince's soft spot for Michaels

He’s just a sexy boy

sexy boooooy

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

I've never understood why CM Punk of all people gets treated like some sort of humongous draw. Certainly right after the pipe bomb if WWE didn't fumble his run, and certainly if wwe strapped a rocket to him instead of putting him on ECW right after coming off his indy run he'd be some sort of huge draw, but by 2022 what even is a CM Punk besides a nostalgia act for the worst era of WWE at worst and an extremely competent talker at best for WWE, and for AEW what does he do that having Kenny "By God" Omega, Mox, and Jericho don't already do, besides being insanely over in chicago.

I'd say worst era in WWE was mid to late 2010s.

Kinda relevant to this post, I'm a lifelong Jeff Hardy fan, and when looking for Meltzer commentary on Punk I found him commenting how Jeff was absolutely bigger and more popular than Punk ever was. Then again, Jeff apparently outsold Cena in terms of merch for one year so beating Punk isn't too surprising.

But yeah, just kinda funny to look back at all the smark love for Punk as this great "professional" (as in being respectable) pro-wrestler in light of all this.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

"Tell me... when I'm tellin' lies."
Crowd: "All~the~time!" *Clap clap clapclapclap*

Honestly you could have just stopped after the word 'luck' because that's helped Vince more than anything save "inheriting" a giant thriving promotion with arguably wrestling's biggest star and its biggest US arenas which is also lucky now that I think about it.

Sorry, whenever people yell about how Tony got handed everything and imply Vince bootstrapped or whatever it grates.

I always love this, Bryan reading a letter from a fan in 1999 about how Vince stumble into success despite his best efforts to the contrary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWwexgTZEzo

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

davidbix posted:

The way I like to explain it is that even in the event Punk genuinely didn't try to ace out Cabana, Tony Khan did a great job making it look like he did.

Yeah, this is the key thing to me. Maybe Punk genuinely never asked for Colt to get fired or sent home or whatever, but it doesn’t really matter. Colt clearly was put out to pasture to try to keep Punk happy, whether he actually asked for that or not. Nobody had to tell the sheets that that’s what happened, it’s obvious just watching the TV. It’s going to be even more obvious if you’re working there and can see who is or isn’t backstage on any given week.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I always love this, Bryan reading a letter from a fan in 1999 about how Vince stumble into success despite his best efforts to the contrary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWwexgTZEzo

Nearly every single success story has involved a certain degree of luck, from ridiculous to pants-on-head stupid amounts. Yes, there's talent and hard work involved, but the amount of good fortune and near-disasters and whatcouldhavebeens are infinite.

Someone once told me that the road to success is lined with sure things and can't miss prospects. Makes it all the more impressive when someone/thing does make it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Vince spent tens or hundreds of millions on objectively terrible things only tangentially related to wrestling at least twice a decade so only his entrenched advantages kept him from bankrupting himself, even if yes he certainly could have done it even worse and actually bankrupted himself. The best thing he probably ever did was consistently value other fed's tape libraries and eventually use the Internet the way it is supposed to be used and Put It All Up There. And then of course after several years of success he decided it was too good and merged with Peacock

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

Nearly every single success story has involved a certain degree of luck, from ridiculous to pants-on-head stupid amounts. Yes, there's talent and hard work involved, but the amount of good fortune and near-disasters and whatcouldhavebeens are infinite.

Someone once told me that the road to success is lined with sure things and can't miss prospects. Makes it all the more impressive when someone/thing does make it.

I don't think anyone is denying that. But the topic was Tony being handed things, like Vince wasn't also blessed. He got handed Steve Austin and The Rock. That's two ultra once-in-a-lifetime talents. Yet Austin was The Ringmaster and The Rock was Rocky "Die Rocky Die" Maivia. They loving wanted to call Stone Cold "Chilly McFreeze"!

Austin of course owes a lot of his success to Vince, just like Hogan did. But at the same time Vince was blessed with so many talents, many of which he purposefully sabotaged. Folks like Rey and RVD and Bryan got over despite Vince's best efforts to the contrary, and he made sure to kill them dead even when they got on top.

He's been handed so many gifts over the decades and many of them only bore fruit in spite of him, and he totally squandered others.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't think anyone is denying that. But the topic was Tony being handed things, like Vince wasn't also blessed. He got handed Steve Austin and The Rock. That's two ultra once-in-a-lifetime talents. Yet Austin was The Ringmaster and The Rock was Rocky "Die Rocky Die" Maivia. They loving wanted to call Stone Cold "Chilly McFreeze"!

Austin of course owes a lot of his success to Vince, just like Hogan did. But at the same time Vince was blessed with so many talents, many of which he purposefully sabotaged. Folks like Rey and RVD and Bryan got over despite Vince's best efforts to the contrary, and he made sure to kill them dead even when they got on top.

He's been handed so many gifts over the decades and many of them only bore fruit in spite of him, and he totally squandered others.

a very wise and sensible man once spoke publicly on this subject, noting how Vince made money in spite of himself and languished as a millionaire when he should have been a billionaire for all the advantages he had

wonder what ever happened to that guy

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Does anyone remember that photo of the 6-sided TNA house show ring and is able to post it? It was the tiniest ring I've ever seen, I think an average sized person laying flat on their back would have been able to touch 4 of the sides.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Can anyone post some innovative uses of the six sided ring? I didnt watch tna but I assume someone figured out something sweet to do with an extra side.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

spongeh posted:

Does anyone remember that photo of the 6-sided TNA house show ring and is able to post it? It was the tiniest ring I've ever seen, I think an average sized person laying flat on their back would have been able to touch 4 of the sides.

I think I have it, a quick look at the folder finds a TNA house show with a tiny four sided ring and like 100 people in the crowd but I know the picture you mean.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

Can anyone post some innovative uses of the six sided ring? I didnt watch tna but I assume someone figured out something sweet to do with an extra side.

Monty Brown’s pounces were amazing in that ring

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aEdT_2wSM0

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Diabolik900 posted:

Yeah, this is the key thing to me. Maybe Punk genuinely never asked for Colt to get fired or sent home or whatever, but it doesn’t really matter. Colt clearly was put out to pasture to try to keep Punk happy, whether he actually asked for that or not. Nobody had to tell the sheets that that’s what happened, it’s obvious just watching the TV. It’s going to be even more obvious if you’re working there and can see who is or isn’t backstage on any given week.
In general, people's comprehension of the story has been skewed by how little it's been mentioned that Cabana 1. Is a producer 2. Was sent home for months in spite of being a producer. For a good eight months, aside from the game expo and ROH PPV matches, he was being paid on two newly-signed contracts — one of which is as an employee with benefits! — to sit at home.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Everyone knows the Steiner math promo, but was the match at sacrifice any good?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Probably better than the poster, seen here being re-used as the DVD cover.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

edogawa rando posted:

Man, AEW Revolution looks loving lit.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I loving love TNA's old "GrApHiC DeSiGn iS My pAsSIoN" rear end posters

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

ItohRespectArmy posted:

the idea that aew "fumbled" punk is hilarious when you remember everything punk did before AEW

Yeah, it was not a secret that Punk was a weird, unfriendly, overly confrontational guy. Even at the height of its Punk love, PSP loved repeating the stories about him ending his friendship with Hornswoggle because Hornswoggle had to replace his phone and asked Punk for the numbers of mutual friends, or the stupid LiveJournal entry where Punk almost got his rear end kicked by the cops because he and his friends got pulled over, the cops asked if he'd been using anything, and he wouldn't respond with anything except "What. Do. My. Knuckles. Say." He was a talented, charismatic jackass, but widely acknowledged as a jackass.

In his WWE run and the seven years after it, it was easier to overlook those things because all people thought about was how much they wanted to see him succeed there and how hard WWE cut his legs out from under him whenever it looked like he really might. Then they intentionally fired him on his wedding day to send a message, so of course he comes off looking like "maybe he's a jerk sometimes, but he's been right about all of this," and that conveniently elides all the jerk behavior that wasn't WWE-related. His falling out with Cabana, though Punk was generally seen to be in the wrong, was treated as "well, that's Punk, what are you going to do?" And it was easy to leave it at that.

Then he gets to AEW. Everyone's excited to see him back in wrestling, he's saying all the right things, and for a while it all works. But the cracks start to appear fairly quickly, until we're just a few months in and he's publicly pissed off at Hangman, who's generally considered one of the nicest guys around and who hadn't made his own disagreements with Punk public. Then Brawl Out happens, and even if you take Punk's side of the story as 100% gospel, it's still entirely his fault. People expect him to be fired, but he isn't. Instead, Tony gives him his own show, gives him creative control over it, and lets him only book the people he gets along with. And then he stops getting along with them, too!

Sure, Tony does not have the ability he should have to keep his locker room under control, but that's not the issue, that's a contributing factor. When AEW is having its biggest show ever, and Punk just put things at risk because instead of prepping for the opener, he's brawling with loving Jack Perry around execs and equipment over a snide remark about glass, Punk is the issue. You can't say it's AEW cutting his legs out from under him. You can't say "he's right about all of this." What you're left with is "Punk's an aggressive jerk who's been given more than he could reasonably ask for, and is still ruining everything for himself."

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

davidbix posted:

In general, people's comprehension of the story has been skewed by how little it's been mentioned that Cabana 1. Is a producer 2. Was sent home for months in spite of being a producer. For a good eight months, aside from the game expo and ROH PPV matches, he was being paid on two newly-signed contracts — one of which is as an employee with benefits! — to sit at home.

im very jealous of that personaly

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Success is McMahon's downfall. When the company has been in dire straits, he managed to survive. When the company had strong competition, he managed to win out. He adapted the wrestling business to national network television in a way no one else could. But when he's won, when there's no existential threat, he makes a lot of, let's sum them up as eccentric business decisions in an environment where nobody can stand up to him.

He made plenty of bad decisions in the 80s and 90s, sure. But nobody's perfect, and even when I hated his taste in big shredded muscle boys who can't work, it was part of the brand he wanted to build. But that's different from seeing a guy get over huge and deciding that he's going to wreck it instead of capitalize on it. I don't think of him as having been that pigheaded in 1995. What if Shawn Michaels had come along in 2008 instead of 1988?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
which was more damaging to Dick Togo's place in wrestling - House of Torture or Kaientai?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Don't choppy choppy my Dick Togo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lid posted:

which was more damaging to Dick Togo's place in wrestling - House of Torture or Kaientai?

HoT, because Kaientai was awesome elsewhere and he didn't do it in WWE very long

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

edogawa rando posted:

this exact same image, minus the tv-14 and dvd logos, was used on promo t-shirts given out by the local radio station

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lid posted:

Kaientai DX ruled though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjigyMUxNQI

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Is Banks/Mone actually good at wrestling? Like get rid of the "name value" and grading on the "WWE curve" where being average may as well be spectacular is she going to be fun to watch to wrestle and talk at people? I havent seen any of her work beyond her and Belairs wrestlemania main event, which was fine but didnt set me on fire.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

yeah she's had some fun matches. i liked a lot of her nxt run. she's had some great ones with bayley

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

Is Banks/Mone actually good at wrestling? Like get rid of the "name value" and grading on the "WWE curve" where being average may as well be spectacular is she going to be fun to watch to wrestle and talk at people? I havent seen any of her work beyond her and Belairs wrestlemania main event, which was fine but didnt set me on fire.

https://vk.com/video-4499945_456250723?t=4h16m6s

i like this one

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Her two NXT Takeover matches against Bayley are legit loving classics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
I haven’t seen her Japan stuff, but I remember thinking she was pretty good. She tended to rush spots quite a bit and did some dangerous spots that she shouldn’t have been doing, but I never thought of her as bad. Her match with Bayley in NXT Brooklyn is my all-time favorite of hers during her WWE run.