Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

1. Dragon Quest XI - Platinum. Only draconian quest active was no xp for weaker monsters which I turned off before the final super boss so i could grind to Lvl 99.

Basically a perfect game. I played it on PC when it first came out and absolutely adored it, but dropped it after the Act 2 credits. I still think the act 3 story is weak BUT it still wound up being my favorite part of the game. I loved the free form nature of that enormous finale, where you just get your own memories of the world to guide what you do next.

Amazing squad. Amazing power curve, I think until literally the final grind of the game I was always thinking "oh nice just like 2 more levels until I unlock XX panel, which means I can move to" etc. the towns are all gorgeous and never feel like a chore to hang out in no matter how many tiems the story has you revisiting previous locations.

I jumped between a wide variety of party comps throughout the game, but by the end my absolute boss killer squad was Hero/Jade/Eight/Serena. Erik sometimes subbed for Jade if I could.keep him alive on the harder fights.

This caps off a pretty powerful series run. I started replaying the entire series with my GF a few years ago, who is a mega completionist and made us do every super boss and collect every mini medal etc. in every entry sans X (the nadir was grinding 1000+ battles on Slime Island in PSX DW7 to unlock Hero job for other party members to defeat God fast enough to unlock the spirits battle). now she's my wife and I'm ecstatic at finally seeing every square inch of XI, and the entire series, but really huge hole in my heart now that we've wrapped everything up...here's to continuing to wait for XII. DQ forever. Emotional evening.

5 > 11 > 8 > 3 > 7 > 4 > 1 > 2 > 6. But I even still like 6 it's just meh.

congrats! :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

3. Cave Story (normal ending)

I haven't played this in a long time and I'm impressed how well it holds up. It's a lot shorter than I remember.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

bloodborne + old hunters - turn into baby worm ending. what a great game.

a 4k 60fips patch would be amazing, but Blupoint completely destroying the art and sound design would be even better.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

extremebuff posted:

bloodborne + old hunters - turn into baby worm ending. what a great game.

a 4k 60fips patch would be amazing, but Blupoint completely destroying the art and sound design would be even better.

your minds eye exploding when you see the yassified amygdalas when their invisiblity breaks would be a top teir moment

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

In Training posted:

1. Dragon Quest XI - Platinum. Only draconian quest active was no xp for weaker monsters which I turned off before the final super boss so i could grind to Lvl 99.

Basically a perfect game. I played it on PC when it first came out and absolutely adored it, but dropped it after the Act 2 credits. I still think the act 3 story is weak BUT it still wound up being my favorite part of the game. I loved the free form nature of that enormous finale, where you just get your own memories of the world to guide what you do next.

Amazing squad. Amazing power curve, I think until literally the final grind of the game I was always thinking "oh nice just like 2 more levels until I unlock XX panel, which means I can move to" etc. the towns are all gorgeous and never feel like a chore to hang out in no matter how many tiems the story has you revisiting previous locations.

I jumped between a wide variety of party comps throughout the game, but by the end my absolute boss killer squad was Hero/Jade/Eight/Serena. Erik sometimes subbed for Jade if I could.keep him alive on the harder fights.

This caps off a pretty powerful series run. I started replaying the entire series with my GF a few years ago, who is a mega completionist and made us do every super boss and collect every mini medal etc. in every entry sans X (the nadir was grinding 1000+ battles on Slime Island in PSX DW7 to unlock Hero job for other party members to defeat God fast enough to unlock the spirits battle). now she's my wife and I'm ecstatic at finally seeing every square inch of XI, and the entire series, but really huge hole in my heart now that we've wrapped everything up...here's to continuing to wait for XII. DQ forever. Emotional evening.

this is so sick, i wanna play some dragon quest now

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nutmeg posted:

your minds eye exploding when you see the yassified amygdalas when their invisiblity breaks would be a top teir moment

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Nutmeg posted:

Lmao

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Nutmeg posted:

lol

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

Did you just forget about 9? Powerful indictment if so lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Nutmeg posted:

lmao

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
mmx3

felt like more mmx after 2 so kept going onto this. gonna agree with whoever said it's better than 2, although how stupidly hard sigma is almost knocked it down. soundtrack is really good in this one.

think that's scratched the itch for now so gonna leave 4 alone. might jump into cave story

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nutmeg posted:

Lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

P-Mack posted:

Did you just forget about 9? Powerful indictment if so lol

oops O_o

Uhhh I guess it would be above 6 but I guess maybe it should be at the bottom based on forgetting completely that I even played it lmao

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Evil Eagle posted:

3) Magicus - True Ending, Hell Difficulty

A match 3 mobile puzzle RPG by the Astlibra developer with a twist where you match special orbs of each color to activate skills and the same old enemy break system from Astlibra. Probably the most poorly translated game I have ever finished and likely ever will. It seems like whoever translated it did attempt to get the story right but everything else, skill descriptions, npc dialogue and so much more were purely machine translated. But something about it kept me coming back for more. It was a lot of fun to decipher such a niche game with such a terrible translation lol. It has a very simple yet satisfying game loop similarly to Astlibra and also like Astlibra, playing on a high difficulty made it much more interesting. Every battle was a struggle until I finally got in the groove around the first ending and started using magics that synergized well and really started focusing on breaking enemies. It took me around 42 hours to get to the ending and I fully cleared the Arena. Will definitely be slowly chipping away at the post-game stuff for the Perfect ending.

pretty much how I felt about the game. I got through the latter half by spamming the paralysis and sleep spells.

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

mmx3

felt like more mmx after 2 so kept going onto this. gonna agree with whoever said it's better than 2, although how stupidly hard sigma is almost knocked it down. soundtrack is really good in this one.

think that's scratched the itch for now so gonna leave 4 alone. might jump into cave story

it's funny because many complain about X3's soundtrack. people have strong mega man opinions and here's mine: I love X1/2/3 pretty much equally. I don't like X4 because it doesn't have the exact same vibe as the SNES games. X5-7 are bad. X8 would be OK if it wasn't like 90% gimmick stages.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

bees x1000 posted:

pretty much how I felt about the game. I got through the latter half by spamming the paralysis and sleep spells.

I focused on physical damage with breaks, chains and getting as many of the special orb matches as possible as all of them aside from red do or lead to insane damage. the spell that creates special orbs and shuffle were by far the most useful tools. using all that plus the double attack skill really made the game a lot easier.

I kept dying on the same turn that I killed enemies earlier on (still don't know how the turn order works lol) so taking advantage of stuff that creates matches without using a turn ended up being my main strategy.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Nutmeg posted:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
1. Royal Match (Hell Mode, 101%)

----------------

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
2. Angry Birds Dream Blast (Hardcore, No Upgrades)

----------------

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

American McGay posted:

1. Royal Match (Hell Mode, 101%)

American McGay posted:

2. Angry Birds Dream Blast (Hardcore, No Upgrades)

I'd play Epic Dumpster Bear if the Astlibra dev made it tbh

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I actually looked it up and apparently it's not available on iPhone in my region lol :argh:

----------------

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

American McGay posted:

I actually looked it up and apparently it's not available on iPhone in my region lol :argh:

bummer, it must've been pulled off the app store in the last few months. I can still download it but I can't find the store page.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

bees x1000 posted:

bummer, it must've been pulled off the app store in the last few months. I can still download it but I can't find the store page.

I ended up just installing the APK manually lol

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

1) A Plague Tale: Innocence
2) Dragon Quest 1 (GBC)

Really basic, but tons of charm. How are you suppose to know the Lotto/Erdrick seal is sitting there in the swamp?

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

fadam posted:

1) A Plague Tale: Innocence
2) Dragon Quest 1 (GBC)

Really basic, but tons of charm. How are you suppose to know the Lotto/Erdrick seal is sitting there in the swamp?

you talk to people in town

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

you rescue the fuckin brincess dude

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

suddenly thinking of the kid who would visit our cottage in the summer to see the NES who spent a solid five minutes walking straight into just a regular wall because he thought it was a rock you could break because of the "BRRMP! BRRMP!" sound effect

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*there are fourteen square tiles in the whole game and one of them has a guy who tells you which one to search*

ooh we got us a stumper here. anyone's mom let them call the nintendo power hotline?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

suddenly thinking of the kid who would visit our cottage in the summer to see the NES who spent a solid five minutes walking straight into just a regular wall because he thought it was a rock you could break because of the "BRRMP! BRRMP!" sound effect

he was right and this is you right now

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

symbolic posted:

lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

symbolic posted:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

symbolic posted:

----------------

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

1) Cave Story+ (Normal, Best ending)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

xenoblade chronicles: definitive edition. what a fuckin game

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fungah! posted:

xenoblade chronicles: definitive edition. what a fuckin game

:letsgo:

Now replay 2 and torna and 3 before playing 3 dlc

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

symbolic posted:

lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

symbolic posted:

Lol

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1. Tetris Effect Connected
2. Alan Wake 2
3. Mega Man
4. Mega Man 2
5. Crash Bandicoot
6. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Thats the best crash.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

ArfJason posted:

Thats the best crash.

yup