Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Cimber posted:

I read the docketed email exchange between the Judge and the Trump lawyers. Its short and worth a laugh, and you should read it too.

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/fbem/DocumentDisplayServlet?documentId=_PLUS_cASZsP0hNiBQOHYbw_PLUS_TPQ==&system=prod

Apparently the death of his Mother in Law has him so broken up he's asked that the final arguments be moved until January 28th. The judge must have laughed at that.

also trumps lawyer who's shift key is broken is pretty funny too because he doesn't use capital letters at all and often misses punctuation and forms run on sentences that are really annoying to read

Engoron should allow the delay, Trumps entire extended family would be dead within months if he thought it would stave off sentencing for another day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Wuxi posted:

Engoron should allow the delay, Trumps entire extended family would be dead within months if he thought it would stave off sentencing for another day.

The "Who killed Hannibal?" of law.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

The New York Board of Elections has announced their intention to rule on whether Trump can appear on the NY primary ballot on Feb 6. This won't really affect the election since NY is still solid blue, but it does show how section 3 mania is spreading and SCOTUS will not be able to punt on it without throwing the country into chaos. The board is evenly divided party-wise so it could theoretically deadlock and leave everything up to them anyway

Why in the gently caress is the NY Board of Elections evenly divided?! Does anyone think the Oklahoma Board of Elections has an even nominal Dem presence? This decorum poo poo is going to loving destroy us.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Randalor posted:

How did that joke/rumor start anyways?

I think it started when Marjorie Taylor Greene placed a couple of pipe bombs on the night before January 6th

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Why in the gently caress is the NY Board of Elections evenly divided?! Does anyone think the Oklahoma Board of Elections has an even nominal Dem presence? This decorum poo poo is going to loving destroy us.

the oklahoma state election board is required to be a 2:1 split, as it happens

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_State_Election_Board

also unlike some states there's no provision for independents / fake independents (my favorite method of skewing this sort of board while pretending you're not) / third parties, it has to be two from one of the two biggest parties and one from the other

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Security footage showed a person who’s profile COULD be similar if you squint, and it’d definitely be on brand for her.

You really don't have to squint, it's pretty obvious that it's her

Plus, who else would have the means, motive, and opportunity to do what she did, as well as the knowledge of where the DNC and RNC headquarters were located?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Trazz posted:

You really don't have to squint, it's pretty obvious that it's her

Plus, who else would have the means, motive, and opportunity to do what she did, as well as the knowledge of where the DNC and RNC headquarters were located?

To your second point, literally any American with a Lowe’s card and google maps access?

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

selec posted:

To your second point, literally any American with a Lowe’s card and google maps access?

I guess one of the insurrectionists showed up a day early, what a go-getter

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

selec posted:

I think lots of Americans would lack the motive, at least.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That is technically true for up to 60% of Americans

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
Honestly I'm a bit surprised that MTG being the J6 pipe bomber is only considered a "rumor" on D&D
Like guys, it's very obviously her, lol

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Trazz posted:

Honestly I'm a bit surprised that MTG being the J6 pipe bomber is only considered a "rumor" on D&D

While the bomber has a similar build to her, her being the bomber requires her to A)be able to build a bomb, even if they didn't work, B) wear a face covering and C) wear baggy clothing. And honestly, I'm not willing to give her the benefit of the doubt on her being smart enough to do C, let alone A or B. Besides, there's no way she would keep quiet about this if she was, even if it was to blurt out "I wish the bombs blew you up" to a Dem in the House.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

As GJB said, the Oklahoma Board of Elections is in fact legally required to have two of its three members appointed from the leading political party and the remaining member appointed from the second-place political party.

Similarly, the NY Board of Elections is required to have two of its four members from each political party.

These kind of mandatory partisan balances are pretty common in US election commissions, by the way. Typically the members are chosen by the governor from lists submitted by each political party's leadership. The potential for fuckery is quite obvious, so these boards are generally structured to make sure both parties' leadership feel at least somewhat fairly represented.

If the election board has an even-numbered number of people, it's usually a 50/50 split between the two parties; if it's an odd number, then the party who won the most in the last election gets the extra seat. Whether it's odd or even usually depends on the political considerations and balance at the time the board was put together, since it rarely changes. One rare example of change would be when Roy Cooper won the governorship in North Carolina, and the legislature tried to force through a law replacing the 3-2 board with a 4-4 board and putting appointments in the hand of the legislature rather than the governor.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Randalor posted:

While the bomber has a similar build to her, her being the bomber requires her to A)be able to build a bomb, even if they didn't work, B) wear a face covering and C) wear baggy clothing. And honestly, I'm not willing to give her the benefit of the doubt on her being smart enough to do C, let alone A or B. Besides, there's no way she would keep quiet about this if she was, even if it was to blurt out "I wish the bombs blew you up" to a Dem in the House.

Right-wingers aren't stupid, they're malicious liars and domestic terrorists

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Randalor posted:

How did that joke/rumor start anyways?

pattern recognition

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Trazz posted:

Unfortunately, basically every woman in that crowd who was approximately that age looks exactly the same.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Unfortunately, basically every woman in that crowd who was approximately that age looks exactly the same.

Then how am I able to identify that person as MTG?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Trazz posted:

Goon Face Blindness is in the DSM by now, for sure.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Trazz posted:

iirc, she's been seen wearing the shoes from the bomber vid

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
MTG being the bomber is a universal truth, like the man who tased his balls until he died or Andrew Tate being arrested because of a pizza box.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
^also, gorilla channel

Trazz posted:

Right-wingers aren't stupid, they're malicious liars and domestic terrorists

Some right wingers are very stupid.

Your point, otherwise, strands tho

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Push El Burrito posted:

MTG being the bomber is a universal truth, like the man who tased his balls until he died or Andrew Tate being arrested because of a pizza box.

ecstatic truth

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

selec posted:

Goon Face Blindness is in the DSM by now, for sure.

But the person's face is hidden!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

Security footage showed a person who’s profile COULD be similar if you squint, and it’d definitely be on brand for her.

It's the gait that really looks similar

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Trazz posted:

how many women have you seen lately

also, i mean, it could be her. has anyone asked her to deny it

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's the gait that really looks similar

Right. If watch MTG walk and then you watch the pipe bomber walk they are the same.

People are really, really good at recognizing other people by their gate.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Push El Burrito posted:

Ghandi in Civilization became a turbobloodthirsty nuclear monster when played by the computer because his low aggression value would fall below the minimum and create an integer error that put it at an impossibly high value

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Staluigi posted:

Ghandi in Civilization became a turbobloodthirsty nuclear monster when played by the computer because his low aggression value would fall below the minimum and create an integer error that put it at an impossibly high value

I love programming fuckups like this that lead to amusing things like nuke happy Ghandi.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Hate to be That Guy but the Ghandi Civ thing is an urban legend

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Hate to be That Guy but the Ghandi Civ thing is an urban legend

I'm about 95% positive that they actually made it a real thing in a semi-recent Civ game. The latest one I played was 5, so it was definitely either 4 or 5.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Sooo…

I have had an intrusive thought that’s been bothering me.

If: I think Donald Trump was a participant in insurrection and shouldn’t be allowed to run for President.

Then: It follows that I consider the Jan 6 events and the MAGA movement to be a failed right revolutionary event. I think the MAGA movement itself considers Jan 6 a revolutionary event that failed.

If: Revolution and and counter revolution are a dialectic pair.

Then: They always occur together.

Then: There already is already counter revolution opposed to the right fascist/ MAGA movement, even if it isn’t organized or acknowledged or self aware.

Then the last assumption: revolutionary / counter revolutionary dialectics produce terrors after successful revolutions in the resulting conflicts because one or both sides conclude them necessary.

I think the MAGA side reaches this conclusion if they win the elections. The current rhetoric and actual preparation is of a purge of government of the “disloyal”, that’s the explicit published plan. They’ve probably already reached this conclusion.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

A failed revolution is a rebellion

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Wasn’t sure if this got mentioned, but Wade’s ex-wife served a subpoena on Fani Willis in connection with the divorce proceedings.

Wonder if the ex-wife is being opportunistic or if this is a coordinated alliance between her and Roman’s attorney.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/jan/10/fani-willis-subpoenaed-divorce-case-wade-special-prosecutor-trump

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

A failed revolution is a rebellion

It’s not over yet though. We are very much still in whatever is happening.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Mike Duncan wrote a book called The Storm Before the Storm about the century leading up to the fall of the Roman Republic and one of the themes he returns to quite often is the steady erosion of mos maiorum, or the uncodified but vital social norms that formed an important supporting structure in roman civic life. These rules were sacrosanct until they weren't any longer (the book is filled with examples of important Roman figures like Marius, Sulla, and others breaking them), and as these unspoken prohibitions crumbled, ambitious individuals were afforded more and more leeway to blatantly ignore the actual laws. We all know what the result was and reading the book, it was difficult not to see the politics of the last 20 years closely resemble this pattern.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Well this is comedic.

Trump won't be on Nevada's 2024 GOP primary ballot. Neither will DeSantis, Ramaswamy or Christie.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nevada-2024-republican-primary-ballot-trump/

"The reason Nevadans will not be able to vote for Trump — or several of the other Republican candidates — in their state's primary is because they chose to participate in the state GOP-sanctioned caucus instead, which will take place two days later
"This has absolutely nothing to do with the 14th Amendment or disqualification of any candidate," said David Becker, CBS News election law expert and political contributor. "Trump, like several other candidates, chose to stand with the state GOP and compete only in the caucus, where delegates will be chosen." "
"Only registered Republicans will be allowed to cast a ballot in the primary or caucus for a candidate. The registered Republicans who want to pick Trump, DeSantis, Ramaswamy or Christie will have to do so at the caucus on Feb. 8."

"In 2021, the state legislature passed a bipartisan bill that ditched the traditional caucuses and embraced a state-run primary. The change was led by Nevada Democrats after there was chaos in reporting the results of the 2020 Democratic caucuses, leading both Pete Buttigieg and Sen. Bernie Sanders to request recounts.
Caucuses are run by political parties, while primary elections are organized and paid for by states.
The Nevada Republican party, which sued the state in May, wrote in a statement that Nevada Democrats were attempting to "force Republicans to change the way we choose our Presidential nominee, and allow out-of-state interests to interfere in the Nevada GOP nominating process."

Now, Nevada Republicans will hold their own caucuses on Feb. 8, where the winner will be awarded delegates to support them at the Republican National Convention in July. "
"The move by the Nevada Republicans rendered the state primary, which will be held on Feb. 6, effectively useless for Republicans. "

Crap meant for the other thread, not really legal stuff. leaving anyway.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 11, 2024

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Mike Duncan wrote a book called The Storm Before the Storm about the century leading up to the fall of the Roman Republic and one of the themes he returns to quite often is the steady erosion of mos maiorum, or the uncodified but vital social norms that formed an important supporting structure in roman civic life. These rules were sacrosanct until they weren't any longer (the book is filled with examples of important Roman figures like Marius, Sulla, and others breaking them), and as these unspoken prohibitions crumbled, ambitious individuals were afforded more and more leeway to blatantly ignore the actual laws. We all know what the result was and reading the book, it was difficult not to see the politics of the last 20 years closely resemble this pattern.

A large and relatively peaceful Empire for 200 years? I’m not exactly a Rome fetishist and the Pax Romana wasn’t all it’s cracked up to be, but I don’t think I’d point to it at as the worst time to be Roman either.

I get where you’re coming from. I get the historical allusion and I even see how the end of the Republic* fits neatly. It’s just the exact argument a smart chud would make, because they’d be the Jullii in this framing.

I don’t think you’re particularly chuddly, this is me making a confused face and wondering if you didn’t think this metaphor all the way through.

*much better than any of the idiots saying this is like the end of the Empire. That’s just trash.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I just hope this isn't more like our Crisis of the Third Century.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

I just hope this isn't more like our Crisis of the Third Century.

According to my data it’s our Bronze-Age Collapse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

OgNar posted:

Well this is comedic.

Trump won't be on Nevada's 2024 GOP primary ballot. Neither will DeSantis, Ramaswamy or Christie.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nevada-2024-republican-primary-ballot-trump/

"The reason Nevadans will not be able to vote for Trump — or several of the other Republican candidates — in their state's primary is because they chose to participate in the state GOP-sanctioned caucus instead, which will take place two days later
"This has absolutely nothing to do with the 14th Amendment or disqualification of any candidate," said David Becker, CBS News election law expert and political contributor. "Trump, like several other candidates, chose to stand with the state GOP and compete only in the caucus, where delegates will be chosen." "
"Only registered Republicans will be allowed to cast a ballot in the primary or caucus for a candidate. The registered Republicans who want to pick Trump, DeSantis, Ramaswamy or Christie will have to do so at the caucus on Feb. 8."

"In 2021, the state legislature passed a bipartisan bill that ditched the traditional caucuses and embraced a state-run primary. The change was led by Nevada Democrats after there was chaos in reporting the results of the 2020 Democratic caucuses, leading both Pete Buttigieg and Sen. Bernie Sanders to request recounts.
Caucuses are run by political parties, while primary elections are organized and paid for by states.
The Nevada Republican party, which sued the state in May, wrote in a statement that Nevada Democrats were attempting to "force Republicans to change the way we choose our Presidential nominee, and allow out-of-state interests to interfere in the Nevada GOP nominating process."

Now, Nevada Republicans will hold their own caucuses on Feb. 8, where the winner will be awarded delegates to support them at the Republican National Convention in July. "
"The move by the Nevada Republicans rendered the state primary, which will be held on Feb. 6, effectively useless for Republicans. "

Crap meant for the other thread, not really legal stuff. leaving anyway.

Can voters only vote in one or the other? Both? If both, how can you apportion delegates? If the primary is meaningless, what happens to the winner?

How loving confusing