Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

When you read HoxPox did you feel that all of Moira's lives before life 10 was "Kay. Aiight. That sure was pages I read."?

The reason I ask is because it appears that information is being passed back from these timelines end on one side or the other to get an upper hand. It's not like these timelines are inconsequential. It's telling whoever "won" that timeline how to prevent it. I see it as an elaborate chess game that is showing HOW one side or the other will win.

These timelines matter as much to the ending of the story as Moira's lives 1-9 mattered to how the Krakoa era started.

Just my thought

While I agree (I was fine with it) I can see why someone can feel 'this could have been an email' about a lot of this.

With today's issue, for example The info they got is that they can't stop Enigma from existing by stabbing stasis/the others before they make their attempt.

This is good to know, but you could get that information across in a couple of pages without having substantial setup for a timeline that ultimately doesn't matter.

To be honest that entire chunk of the story feels like a pacing thing for me. They can't get onto the later issues of RoX because it'd get ahead of fall of x, so they let it flesh out a bit more side content in the meantime.

Not a bad editorial decision, but in a standalone book I don't know they would have spent this much time on something that ultimately doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I've read enough work by Gillen to be confident that if he has a character clearly state their objective in the first issue of something, that is absolutely not what is going to happen in the conclusion.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I've read enough fiction to be confident that the plot of this book is not going to be "the X-Men kill a twelve-year-old girl."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Wanderer posted:

I've read enough work by Gillen to be confident that if he has a character clearly state their objective in the first issue of something, that is absolutely not what is going to happen in the conclusion.

this was my exact thought when i hit that stinger lol

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
This book ruled! Art was great! It felt like a true successor to HOXPOX.

I think killing teen Moira would drastically affect Sinister/Enigma and that's the goal. It doesn't end the threat of Enigma's Dominion but it would certainly change it. Especially for Diamond Sinister, who was only able to contribute his portion of the pieces through it.

Also, I know this is wrong because a Sinister [Insert Scary Thing] is always going to be worse than the Scary Thing but... HOXPOX talks about Dominions- plural- already existing. Enigma isn't the only one. Xavier's plan seems to be entirely focused on stopping him from becoming something that already exists.

I do like how Gillen has tied Enigma back to Hickman's original Dominion concept- even if he's still playing a little loose with it. But I never got the feeling from HOXPOX that Dominions were bad guys or whatever. They're just the end point for the machines. The machines were the problem, not something that would show up and be like "yup, you machines have taken over so now here we are." If the machines don't get to that point, you... don't have to worry about Dominion. If they do, you were probably hosed anyway.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't think killing Moira before she gets her powers will change anything. Engima already exists, and is now outside of time, so it will continue to exist no matter what happens to the timeline.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Good point. Even the timeline indicates this is probably the case.

Bill Brasky
Apr 13, 2008

Wow I hated Wolverine - Sabretooth War. Reminded me of New 52 Batman that I dropped and never went back to.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
PSA regarding RoTPoX (oh my god, it's my first time typing it, are we seriously going to call this era Fothox and Rotpox?):

https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/1745193911264432577

Sometimes they put a single data page at the end, but two of them in a row did seem a little odd.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The concept of a Worldmind as it relates to Domnions and the machine intelligence hierarchy is distinct from say, the Xandarian Worldmind, right? Because I have to imagine that thing would've given Dick Ryder some forewarning about the Annhilation Wave if it existed outside of time otherwise

Actually between this and Annihilation from X-Men Red someone needs to buy the X-Office a thesaurus

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

The worldmind itself isn't outside of space and time, for the machines' purposes it's just a big lure for the dominion so they can bargain with it and upload themselves.

Presumably the Xandarian worldmind could also be used for that. You could say it's either just not set up in a way dominions care about or that dominions don't want to mess with the Nova Force, even if it's not directly listed as something they fear.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Bill Brasky posted:

Wow I hated Wolverine - Sabretooth War. Reminded me of New 52 Batman that I dropped and never went back to.

Same here. I dropped Wolverine a while back and thought I'd see what Sabretooth War was about, but I won't be reading any further. I'm all for a gritty, violent Wolverine story, but this was a textbook case of what people mean when they call something "grimdark". That last page....oof.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wolverine sucked a lot. Pointless and gruesome death scenes for no reason.

So who do we think the other two members are of the Xavier crew? I'd guess Rachel and then either Sinister or Manifold.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

Wolverine sucked a lot. Pointless and gruesome death scenes for no reason.

So who do we think the other two members are of the Xavier crew? I'd guess Rachel and then either Sinister or Manifold.

It absolutely can't be Sinister unless it's Sinister still in his mind. Like, I know Gillen likes writing Sinister but he's gone beyond the pale for Xavier to trust him again in books Gillen has written.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

nemesis_hub posted:

Same here. I dropped Wolverine a while back and thought I'd see what Sabretooth War was about, but I won't be reading any further. I'm all for a gritty, violent Wolverine story, but this was a textbook case of what people mean when they call something "grimdark". That last page....oof.

Holy poo poo. That was awful. In every sense. Lower B movie fare.

I felt like I was in a time warp back to loving 1996. I'm honestly surprised they didn't have someone go "Gee willikers, I retire in 2 weeks! Can't wait to go home meet my loving fiancé and take that dream vacation! Boy I sure like not being a pile of gore!".

Also, wasn't Logan with Colossus working on getting Cyclops out when the plan was changed by Xavier as the 'present' day? Seems he can be in two places at once.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sephyr posted:

Holy poo poo. That was awful. In every sense. Lower B movie fare.

I felt like I was in a time warp back to loving 1996. I'm honestly surprised they didn't have someone go "Gee willikers, I retire in 2 weeks! Can't wait to go home meet my loving fiancé and take that dream vacation! Boy I sure like not being a pile of gore!".

Also, wasn't Logan with Colossus working on getting Cyclops out when the plan was changed by Xavier as the 'present' day? Seems he can be in two places at once.

He's the best there is at what he does. And what he does is guest star in half the comics produced by marvel regardless of whether or not that violates space-time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this'd be too much even if the five were available.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sephyr posted:

there's literally a big banner at the start of the issue that says "THIS TAKES PLACE BEFORE RISE OF POWERS"

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Wanderer posted:

If nothing else, while it's just barely possible that the resolution will be 'None of the last few years of comics ever happened', killing Moira as a kid would rewrite decades of continuity. I doubt they're going to rewrite everything going back to the early Claremont era.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Abroham Lincoln posted:

It's just comic writer brainworms tbh

Hickman pitches it as "death doesn't matter, so now you have to be more creative and stop doing cheap, meaningless deaths for drama." So they just kill characters a lot anyway.

To be honest on rereading House of X that's exactly what the Orchis mission felt like to me. The reader hasn't been introduced to resurrection yet but Xavier's reaction seemed like an overreaction.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think killing Moira before she gets her powers will change anything. Engima already exists, and is now outside of time, so it will continue to exist no matter what happens to the timeline.
I'm not sure how true this is. Xavier and Sinister seem to believe that, at bare minimum, Enigma is reluctant to interfere with the timeline in any way that might prevent itself from coming into being. Although in practice we don't actually know what exactly is required for Essex to ascend, resetting the whole universe to such a state where none of his clones feed him their data would probably fall into that category.

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

When you read HoxPox did you feel that all of Moira's lives before life 10 was "Kay. Aiight. That sure was pages I read."?

The reason I ask is because it appears that information is being passed back from these timelines end on one side or the other to get an upper hand. It's not like these timelines are inconsequential. It's telling whoever "won" that timeline how to prevent it. I see it as an elaborate chess game that is showing HOW one side or the other will win.

These timelines matter as much to the ending of the story as Moira's lives 1-9 mattered to how the Krakoa era started.
Imo, economy of page space was a legitimate problem with HoXPoX, among other things. There were massive chunks of multiple issues faffing about with all those broad future concepts and blue people and chimeras that we'll never see again and, to be clear: there was some great stuff in there, but even so, this took precious time away from characters and stories I frankly just care about a hundred times more. I'd rather have just a few more panels of Krakoan worldbuilding, or of Cyclops bantering with the Fantastic Four, than most of whatever was going on in that ninth life. Again: life nine was interesting! I get why we were seeing it. But we reeeaally probably didn't need to see that much of an alternate timeline whose actual purpose was simply for Moira to know some stuff to prepare for life ten.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it didn't really matter that mother righteous was the one that actually succeeded first, because it would result in enigma's apotheosis regardless. the rest of them only failed because enigma was already a dominion. however, every single one of their plans derived from the existence of krakoa. orbus used mysterium, which did not exist before krakoans created it. and now we find that stasis used orchis' machine intelligences, which were only empowered/created in response to krakoa.

it's possible that even if they managed to stave off righteous via time travel or whatnot that would only make one of the other attempts in another timeline succeed instead. what's really confusing is how all of this is happening in 616 rather than creating alternate universes.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Keep in mind that, besides Mother Righteous, each Sinister only "succeeds" in their Dominion attempt in a branched timeline that only exists as a result of the Moira Engine. Without these mutually exclusive timelines, they can't feed into Enigma, which means Enigma can't achieve Dominion. Taking Moira's powers out of the equation by removing her before those powers ever develop disrupts the whole mechanism. Krakoa as a nation never coming to be is just an unfortunate consequence of that. Will it work? Probably not, but Xavier and crew don't know that yet. Hell, we only know it because we know Marvel won't reset it's entire continuity.

Also, I don't think anything we've seen so far confirms other Dominions don't exist. The Sinisters failing their ascension is a result of Enigma's direct interference, which it only does to preserve it's origin. We see in this comic that Nimrod and crew successfully drew the attention of another Dominion, at least up to the point of Stasis overwriting it in his ascension attempt. I'd assume this is the same Dominion that appeared in Moira's 9th life. We also have the mysterious Trickster Dominion that sent Omega Sentinel back in time, which I'm really curious about.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Other Dominions absolutely exist per HOXPOX, which is why I asked if Xavier's attempt at stopping Enigma has any point to the reader outside of Enigma's connection to Sinister.

Of course, Xavier doesn't know about other Dominions so it makes sense in his head. But we know different. Is it good to know our protagonists are doing something pointless?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

danbanana posted:

Other Dominions absolutely exist per HOXPOX, which is why I asked if Xavier's attempt at stopping Enigma has any point to the reader outside of Enigma's connection to Sinister.

Of course, Xavier doesn't know about other Dominions so it makes sense in his head. But we know different. Is it good to know our protagonists are doing something pointless?

I think the threat of other, existing Dominions is more nebulous. They seem depicted like Elder Gods in horror genres, vast and terrifying, but unaware or apathetic about Earth until some foolish mortal summons them. Enigma is a more pressing threat because it originated from Earth, and is manipulating Earth's timeline to ensure it's own creation. Plus, the guy it used to be was a real piece of poo poo, and achieving godhood probably hasn't changed that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's why the last issue of immortal was so good. for the first and only time it discussed what a dominion can and can't do and what it would want. but now in rise i don't really get what's happening. how are they sending rasputin to timelines that were already erased with the death of a moira clone? it's not an alternate universe. it shouldn't exist at all outside of sinister's records. what is even the point of trying to stop someone they know already failed?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

glitchwraith posted:

Plus, the guy it used to be was a real piece of poo poo, and achieving godhood probably hasn't changed that.

Listen. Just because my 4 clones and/or clones of my wife were real pieces of poo poo doesn't make me one.

The only thing we know about Enigma is that they make fun of Sinisters that don't reach Dominion. Sounds pretty cool to me!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

glitchwraith posted:

Plus, the guy it used to be was a real piece of poo poo, and achieving godhood probably hasn't changed that.
People can change.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Endless Mike posted:

People can change.

It would be funny if godhood actually meant Enigma changed for the better and the ending is the heroes learning that this Dominion being a benevolent deity means their worries were for naught.

'Course that's not how comics work, though.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

People can change.

I could absolutely see Nathaniel Essex doing sloppy steaks at Truffoni's. He even has the slicked back hair!

Saoshyant posted:

It would be funny if godhood actually meant Enigma changed for the better and the ending is the heroes learning that this Dominion being a benevolent deity means their worries were for naught.

'Course that's not how comics work, though.

Joking aside, I do think that is a possibility, but in no way would any of the mutants jump to that conclusion given Sinister's history.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that's why the last issue of immortal was so good. for the first and only time it discussed what a dominion can and can't do and what it would want. but now in rise i don't really get what's happening. how are they sending rasputin to timelines that were already erased with the death of a moira clone? it's not an alternate universe. it shouldn't exist at all outside of sinister's records. what is even the point of trying to stop someone they know already failed?

I'm sure those questions will be answered, and will likely involve the two unrevealed members of Xavier's crew to some extent. That said, we can make some educated guesses. Rasputin getting to the main timeline at all shows that travel between them is possible to some extent (at least with magic and a bit of cloning). We also know Enigma can observe and interact with the failed timelines due to existing outside of time and space, which is were the crew is currently stationed hidden in the No Space. As for why they would try, well, what do they have to lose? This isn't the first time the X-Men have behaved recklessly with the timeline. Until they figure out a better way to deal with a Dominion, this is their best shot.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Have we had any good explanation what No Space is?

Also, did Moira just forget about it? Seems weird that they're bunkered in her house.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

danbanana posted:

Have we had any good explanation what No Space is?

Also, did Moira just forget about it? Seems weird that they're bunkered in her house.

Just that it's a habitat similar to the structures Krakoa can grow, but that it exists outside of Krakoa's consciousness. Moira's now being outside time and space and hidden even from Dominions is new, a combination of Krakoa altering it and, somehow, Cypher's powers. The data pages notes Cypher has new abilities, but the specifics are redacted.

I doubt Moira has forgotten about it, it just doesn't seem relevant to Orchis' plans.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That's why I think Manifold might be one of them in No Space. Seems like an ability he would be able to develop to create a space outside of the universe.

Rachel is almost certainly one because of chronoskimming and being such a unique entity.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
"We don't need this base of operations where no one can find us, even the sentient island our enemies live on" is a hell of a decision for RoboMoira to make.

I also wasn't sure if "outside space and time" was established elsewhere that I missed because it did seem new to me. It was presented as "on Krakoa without Krakoa knowing." This seems like a beefing up of the concept.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
If I'm following correctly it got upgraded with mysterium

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
White hot room double post

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

Just that it's a habitat similar to the structures Krakoa can grow, but that it exists outside of Krakoa's consciousness. Moira's now being outside time and space and hidden even from Dominions is new, a combination of Krakoa altering it and, somehow, Cypher's powers. The data pages notes Cypher has new abilities, but the specifics are redacted.

I doubt Moira has forgotten about it, it just doesn't seem relevant to Orchis' plans.

The original nowhere spaces were just tumors inside of krakoa, this is another level.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

danbanana posted:

"We don't need this base of operations where no one can find us, even the sentient island our enemies live on" is a hell of a decision for RoboMoira to make.

I also wasn't sure if "outside space and time" was established elsewhere that I missed because it did seem new to me. It was presented as "on Krakoa without Krakoa knowing." This seems like a beefing up of the concept.

This one should be easy to explain: access has been shown to be only available via Krakoa gates, a mutant-only interface. Moira isn't a mutant anymore.

That first part brings another question, though: as the gates are currently down, how is Xavier and his team getting in and out? I guess Doug can just ask Krakoa directly for access.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Saoshyant posted:

That first part brings another question, though: as the gates are currently down, how is Xavier and his team getting in and out? I guess Doug can just ask Krakoa directly for access.

That could well be part of Doug's redacted updated powers as well, perhaps some sort of more direct melding with Krakoa after he got vore'd before Fall of X. (As an aside, I half-liked Doug's updated powers after he got brought back where he was super good at fighting because he could read everybody's body language, except that he should have lacked the ability to actually counter. He'd just be really good at identifying when he was about to get kicked in the face.)

Also, regarding Moira's possible knowledge of No-Places, even if she's aware that Krakoa has a way to access a place outside of time and space, by definition there's not a whole lot she could do about it, it's a fait accompli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
I remember in late 90s when the grocery stores on semi-rural Idaho sold comics I picked up some x-men comic books.

I had no idea what was going on so I asked my mom to pick up the issues that were referenced with * next time she was at the grocery store, having no idea they usually referenced issues that were months long gone and there was no way in hell those grocery stores still carried them.

A hard lesson to learn. I also got attached to Ben Reilly as the only active Spider-Man I knew at the time and was probably one of the few who cried when he died but such is middle-school life.