Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

twistedmentat posted:

Is there any corner stones you should always take?

I try to get at least one farm, one plank producer and one fabric producer.

I'm not sure if any cornerstones are always 100% slam pick, but my favorites are:

-Trade routes cost 1 less. This can lower the cost to 0!
- +2 to gather of a resource I have on the map. Use any excess for trade routes.
- +35% woodcutter speed. Generically useful.
- Double fertile soil value, but lose all food on pick. Easy game once you stabilize.

Since what you listed are blueprints, here's my picks for blueprints:

- Fertile soil user. My favorite is the greenhouse, especially if soil is scarce (marshlands) but I have humans to find it. Scales up with only a small amount of soil but is labor intensive.
- A complex food that at least 2 of my races want.
- Provisioner. I value trade routes but struggle to get food, so I like having more efficient provisions. Flour as a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KNR
May 3, 2009
I think my easiest cornerstone pick is Trade Hub. If you get it early you can completely forget about making your villagers happy and go all in on trade routes. If you get it late you have already farmed the lowest resolve thresholds and trade hub can be an instant 2-5 reputation as you dump everything you've got on a trader. Probably absurdly broken before prestige 10, since you can boost trade hub progress by wash trading.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah Trade Hub is an I Win button for sure. Always the right pick no matter what.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

There is a benefit to having a high resolve going in to a storm you can't keep positive resolve through. Preloading your unhappiest race into favorable jobs and food bonuses during late Clearance can stretch the leave countdown timer to where at least one fewer citizen leaves. This is most effective with Lizards, whose resolve declines more slowly. Don't wait until after the Storm starts to switch to a Lizard keeper if you are concerned you will need one.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
+1 to Housing is also good for saving resources/space.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I couldn't find an animated gif but this is what plays in my head whenever I apply Tools to a cache:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sokani posted:

I'm not sure if any cornerstones are always 100% slam pick, but my favorites are:

-Trade routes cost 1 less. This can lower the cost to 0!
- +2 to gather of a resource I have on the map. Use any excess for trade routes.
- +35% woodcutter speed. Generically useful.
- Double fertile soil value, but lose all food on pick. Easy game once you stabilize.

Since what you listed are blueprints, here's my picks for blueprints:

- Fertile soil user. My favorite is the greenhouse, especially if soil is scarce (marshlands) but I have humans to find it. Scales up with only a small amount of soil but is labor intensive.
- A complex food that at least 2 of my races want.
- Provisioner. I value trade routes but struggle to get food, so I like having more efficient provisions. Flour as a bonus.

I got blueprints and corner stones confused. I really like the one that gives you provisions when you get new people. You can basically ignore all other trade packs with that unless you need them for a mission.

The absolutely worst game I had was the last one where all of the missions, even the starter 3, required complex produced goods. Why would you put trade goods in the first tier?

I'm yet to unlock the greenhouse. I tend to go for the farm or herb garden because those can be used for complex food. I really like the ranch because meat is super useful.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
My always pick cornerstones are silent looting and the one that gives higher resolve the higher impatience is.

Also obviously Mist piercers or dead villager variant.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FrickenMoron posted:

My always pick cornerstones are silent looting and the one that gives higher resolve the higher impatience is.

Also obviously Mist piercers or dead villager variant.

Speaking of silent looting, the Ghosts in the spooky words are jerks, They demand specific things and often want you to do bad things. Get hostility up too 5 or beat up a merchant. At least you just lose the reward rather than something bad happening if you don't do what they want.

One of the first games before i figured out how things worked, i didn't complete a event and it killed everyone in my settlement. I had no idea what happened.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Is there any corner stones you should always take?

I try to get at least one farm, one plank producer and one fabric producer.

Mist Piercers, without a doubt. Being able to see what glades are worth opening is absolutely worth the extra impatience.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I have achieved my goal of beating Prestige 20 in Year 3 in unfair mode (meaning not Queen's Hand mode; that is, I have all Citadel upgrades) by accumulating massive cycle buffs.

If you don't want to read the whole thread, start here.

(No screenshots because the game crashes when I Alt+Tab.)

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm not afraid of a lot of dangerous glade events but corrupted Caravan is like a total gamestopper if you get it early. I don't get why it has to be so much more difficult to solve than literally anything else thats not a forbidden glade event.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
yeah glade event balance is not great right now. I also hate the fishman cave with a passion when you’re at the “events take longer” prestige, just awful.

then you have a forbidden event, mistworm, with a side with incredibly easy requirements and the oh so terrible working condition of…”you can’t see glade indicators”

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
The ones that consume food always get me. Starvation is probably my #1 run ender.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
It's funny that Untamed Wilds (Every Dangerous and Forbidden Glade contains two threats instead of one) is the only landmark I have yet to encounter, considering this old chat of mine:

Xom posted:

Idea to balance the three glade types:
Rename dangerous glades to large glades. Add one dangerous event to each glade. (Small glades have one dangerous event. Large glades have two. Forbidden glades have one forbidden event and one dangerous event.)

Edit: Increase the reward for forbidden events, too.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Note to self: 10 minutes is not basically forever. You cannot, in fact, easily get 150 clearance water just because you have a geyser lying around untapped somewhere.

I managed to get the timed order in under the wire, after a ton of scrambling and a forced trader call to buy the last few pipes I needed. But it was quite a stressful experience!

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Nothing feels worse than failing a Timed Order you thought was a slam dunk. I've learned it's always better to overprioitize them and that there's rarely any such thing as 'casually' fulfilling it.

My small glade hot take is that opening them should increase hostility from woodcutters but not general hostility -- they can exert a downward pressure on resolve in non-storm seasons, but during storms you can still handle hostility the normal way.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Sokani posted:

The ones that consume food always get me. Starvation is probably my #1 run ender.

finding a bloodflower on the first glade at high prestige is such a kick in the dick. even with foxes its just "guess everyone's starving for the year".

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
One of my favorite starting perks for low prestige is training tools/minute. Just crack open every single cache you see.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

space uncle posted:

Steam Engines give a huge chance of doubling production so even on the abysmal 12 root -> 10 biscuit supply chain if you steam engine your Flour and your Biscuit then you will definitely come out way ahead anyway.

This is very important to emphasize. Having the right water (almost always drizzle) and a couple pipes will solve all your food problems.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The thing is I never have a problem getting things like flour in those buildings the bottleneck is things like berries or herbs to make biscuits or pie. Making morning 100% faster is still not helpful.

I always miss that part of the complex food chain and skip a plantation or herb garden since I already have a small farm then I get annoyed and can’t get an herbalist camp upgrade to save my life.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Meatbag Esq. posted:

One of my favorite starting perks for low prestige is training tools/minute. Just crack open every single cache you see.

Yeah this has got to be one of the best. Early game you can open caches and deal with a few other glade events, late game you can trade them away or use them for services. I take it every time now that I have it unlocked.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I was today days old when I discovered you could 'claim' your achievements for XP....

There's two extra levels and a couple essential buildings I was missing.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

My latest mechanic discovery is that merchants aren't on a fixed schedule but come more frequently based on your City Score, so you do have some ability to influence a trader to come just before a storm if it is marginal, and there is some justification to building or salvaging a service building you can neither staff nor supply.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
That page says you get more traders, but I think it only means variety. I don't think you get more frequent traders.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
When watching newer players play I'm still surprised how bad the early trader selection is, its just 3 of them and its mostly not great stuff thats sold.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Hiding the lootbox trader behind a challenge is cruel.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Are there any other critical unlocks hidden behind deeds that you may not think to complete?

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
I had to look up the one for big shelters (have three tablets at the end?) but they're not that important.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Big shelters are really good on higher prestige because you can take planks at the start and build 2 big shelters immediately at the start and they only take one delivery (6 planks) instead of 3 for a shelter. you can always scrap them later for the planks.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The harmony decorations that take more than one slot are also very useful since they reduce the number of trips your workers need to get the required amount to level up the hearth

Char
Jan 5, 2013
The jump from Pioneer to Veteran is pretty harsh huh

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it gets easier once you use the rain engines imo

Char
Jan 5, 2013
The previous difficulties were winnable without analyzing what I was doing, just 1x building each making sure there were proper resource chains.
Now I know I have to learn proper ratios, proper micromanagement and proper identification of goals within the run.
I've lost two games in a row because I didn't manage to have enough planks and wood, for instance.

I'll have to experiment more and autopilot less.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Pioneer is trying to teach you to use Rain Engines for free and say “holy poo poo these are awesome.”

Veteran introduces blight and now you have to micromanage your water usage and your Blight outposts a bit, but your takeaway should still be “these are awesome.”

Viceroy ratchets up the hostility so much that you sometimes have a very hard time cutting wood during the storm, which obviously affects wood and plank quantities.

I haven’t made it to Prestige levels yet.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Sandweed posted:

Hiding the lootbox trader behind a challenge is cruel.

Say what now?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I think because I wasn't 'cashing in' achievements, I was under-leveled. So I didn't even have rain engines and was doing veteran because the XP reward is so much higher. I really didn't notice much difficulty change, I think the biggest thing is there's less total softball orders, and occasionally you have to actually stop woodcutting and/or sacrifice to keep people above 0 during the storm.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Fister Roboto posted:

Mist Piercers, without a doubt. Being able to see what glades are worth opening is absolutely worth the extra impatience.

I think in several hundred hours I have never taken that one. I enjoy surprises. My answer:

Amber/resolve for trades, extra wood but lose all wood, coal/hostility for burning blightrot.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Char posted:

The previous difficulties were winnable without analyzing what I was doing, just 1x building each making sure there were proper resource chains.
Now I know I have to learn proper ratios, proper micromanagement and proper identification of goals within the run.
I've lost two games in a row because I didn't manage to have enough planks and wood, for instance.

I'll have to experiment more and autopilot less.

Some questions for you:
- How many lumber camps do you run? 2 should be required on every map even if you dont fully staff em at all times
- How quickly are you building the crude workshop? it should be done year 1
- Are you limiting production? The main culprit of wood running out is not limiting the production of planks. The main reason for planks running out is producing building materials at the outpost. Turn it off unless you need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Char
Jan 5, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Some questions for you:
- How many lumber camps do you run? 2 should be required on every map even if you dont fully staff em at all times
- How quickly are you building the crude workshop? it should be done year 1
- Are you limiting production? The main culprit of wood running out is not limiting the production of planks. The main reason for planks running out is producing building materials at the outpost. Turn it off unless you need it.

Third point, I limit it but I guess a 10 limit is too much - it's 8 wood for 2 planks and 6? planks for 1 pack of building materials, right? That makes 240 wood.