Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

If I recall from the book it is a lovely small storage place where nobody has the master key except the owner and he was pissed about being dragged out of bed.

I just think it's a weird choice to show that he has a driver. The guy is shown just sitting in the car, waiting. So much implied characterization for two guys that do not show up again and don't matter to the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

credburn posted:

She ends up with the forensics nerd at the end though <3

Well briefly. They break up and she ends up disgraced and miserable until she becomes a cannibal who tames Hannibal Lector via the power of sex because Hannibal's true goal was to reverse entropy so he could save his sister who was eaten by Nazis but also to bring back his sister's personality in her body but he accepts merely being satisfied with having a lot of sex with her instead.

(I'd say Hannibal aged badly but that would imply it was ever good.)

ImpAtom has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Jan 10, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

Well briefly. They break up and she ends up disgraced and miserable until she becomes a cannibal who tames Hannibal Lector via the power of sex because Hannibal's true goal was to reverse entropy so he could save his sister who was eaten by Nazis but also to bring back his sister's personality in her body but he accepts merely being satisfied with having a lot of sex with her instead.

(I'd say Hannibal aged badly but that would imply it was ever good.)

Loved that neutral milk hotel album

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I saw Hannibal way before reading the book. I think that's the best way to experience it, because wowee Hannibal the book goes places

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

God I hated the ending of that book. Why would she get with Hannibal? So gross.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
In the book it makes sense in a way because she has nothing else left. The FBI has pretty much put her out based on Paul krendlers lie, her old boss/mentor is dying/dead, and her only ally is her roommate. She has no future left after the poo poo that went down with the FBI so...I mean, if her choice is to go back and be likely sent to prison, or stay with Hannibal, I know which one I'd pick.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'd pick the one that doesn't involve murdering and eating people or having sex with a man who murders and eats people, but I guess that makes me the weird one?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
She is hypnotized at the end of the book. Isn't that the real deciding factor as to why she ends up with Hannibal?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you can't beat 'em... eat 'em!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

credburn posted:

She is hypnotized at the end of the book. Isn't that the real deciding factor as to why she ends up with Hannibal?

She isn't though. Hannibal is trying to do that to turn her into his sister and then she goes "But why can't I be Clarice" and then takes out her boob and Hannibal falls to his knees and the last lines of the book say he doesn't miss his sister anymore.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Harris definitely has a love/hate relationship with the character where he tried to get out of writing the prequel but was told it was going to happen with or without him so he might as well get paid. Like I wouldn't be surprised if the ending of Hannibal was him trying to poison the well to get people to stop doing stuff with the characters.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yet again breasting boobily solves the problem at hand

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I forgot about Clarice's boob.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'd pick the one that doesn't involve murdering and eating people or having sex with a man who murders and eats people, but I guess that makes me the weird one?

To be fair the book does skip over what happens afterwards and the last we see them is at some Opera art thing later on.

The stuff with Margo verger was cut from the film but I always had a soft spot for how she went and found the little foster kid's cat for him.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
The Hannibal TV show has the role of brainwashed woman is his therapist who he is shown manipulating the entire previous 2 seasons, so it's less abrupt, and more makes sense at that point

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

exquisite tea posted:

If you can't beat 'em... eat 'em!

Excuse me, a certain Atari game made it clear that you could do both.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ImpAtom posted:

She isn't though. Hannibal is trying to do that to turn her into his sister and then she goes "But why can't I be Clarice" and then takes out her boob and Hannibal falls to his knees and the last lines of the book say he doesn't miss his sister anymore.

I hope it’s written just like this.

“He took out her boobie and said I miss no more”

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

credburn posted:

Media that did not age well: I forgot about Clarice's boob.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

CelticPredator posted:

Boobies must feel good to God, Will - He takes them out all the time, and are we not made in His image?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Watching an old Barney Miller episode where the police precinct might get shut down dependent on a decision by the president and Fish remarks "I'm glad I didn't vote for him."

Gerald Ford jokes are even funnier when you don't get them immediately because you forgot Gerald Ford was president.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CelticPredator posted:

I believe it's something like "He bent his head to the pink and coral of her breast."

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
"Let me at them titties," said Hannibal, kneeling before her. "Humunuhumunuhumunuh!"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
i would recommend that as the new title, but I don't know where the current title came from. The only Kitty I know are Pryde or from Pride and Prejudice.

Speaking of the latter, reading/watching it again and you really feel more for the mom of the Bennets. Yes she is flighty and rude and needs to chill because she's poisoning every well for her older daughters and lets the youngest two run wild, but....her husband literally ignores and talks down to her, isn't looking at all about taking care of the girls, and once he kicks it, she and the five daughters got gently caress all.

Since even today people blame the woman for the baby being the wrong gender, it was worse back then: she didn't produce an heir so it's her fault. By the time she has daughter 5, her husband had already checked out. No wonder she goes kinda crazy and makes a mess of everything possible.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Cowslips Warren posted:

i would recommend that as the new title, but I don't know where the current title came from. The only Kitty I know are Pryde or from Pride and Prejudice.

Kitty Pryde liked using the n word a little too much

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

At least 3 different times in 3 different books.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's come up multiple times in this thread, even after the thread title was changed to this.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's come up multiple times in this thread, even after the thread title was changed to this.

You know what didn't age well, Kitty Pryde. You know what she did?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No please tell me

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

You know what didn't age well, Kitty Pryde. You know what she did?

Broke up with Star Lord?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

More like KKKitty White Pride

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
in fairness i only watched her in XMen Evolution.

That show was way better than it had any right to be. Except for Spike. He was dumb, but proof it was possible to be a mutant and have lameass powers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kitty Pryde going out of her way to use “niggardly” in a technically correct way and pausing briefly to make eye contact with Storm.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

Kitty Pryde going out of her way to use “niggardly” in a technically correct way and pausing briefly to make eye contact with Storm.

never have I been more happy to not read comics.

tell me that panel ended with Kitty Pryde being drenched in icy rain or hit by lightning?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It's authors trying to say "'Mutie' is a total real adult serious slur." as hamfistedly as possible.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
A couple years ago Chris Claremont was on a podcast with Method Man and Killer Mike and the issue of Kitty saying the n-word came up, and Claremont was kind of sheepish and defensive about it and the other two were both like, "that was loving awesome."

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Using anti-mutant discrimination as an analogy for irl discrimination was always the dumbest idea cos irl minorities can't actually kill people with their minds and poo poo like that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

tell me that panel ended with Kitty Pryde being drenched in icy rain or hit by lightning?

That didn't actually happen.

The Kitty Pryde thing genuinely makes sense as an-inworld thing but as far as something that exists as a comic in the real world, looks an awful lot like a a writer coming up with an excuses for a white girl to use a bunch of slurs.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Using anti-mutant discrimination as an analogy for irl discrimination was always the dumbest idea cos irl minorities can't actually kill people with their minds and poo poo like that

For a while the major point was that most of them can't do that. Comics writers lost the way but the vast majority of mutants were supposed to be like "born with blue skin" or "has a beak" and not super cool powers. The X-Men were to mutants what the Avengers are to regular humans, a group who actually had the amazing powers. Comic book power bloat however meant pretty much every new mutant introduced has the power of Make The Planet Explode which kind of changes the dynamic, but it was like saying "We need to register every human being on the planet because Thor can shoot thunder."

The mutant metaphor hasn't ever really been about "we need to police the eye laser people" but explicitly is about harassing those who are born different from the norm even if those ways don't actually threaten anyone. Basically it boils down to "They want Cyclops on a list because he's a mutant" and not "They want Cyclops on a list because he shoots lasers from his eyes."

ImpAtom has a new favorite as of 23:16 on Jan 11, 2024

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

It’s a joke. Kitty Pryde saying the n-word is an in-universe way for her to put pressure on her fellow fictional characters for being racist against mutants, the fake comic book minority that is supposed to teach its readers to not be racist against real minorities.

But Chris Claremont somehow missed the target and dedicated himself to teaching his readers to not be racist against mutants.

I AM GRANDO has a new favorite as of 23:23 on Jan 11, 2024

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I'm only racist against Italian mutants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rochallor posted:

A couple years ago Chris Claremont was on a podcast with Method Man and Killer Mike and the issue of Kitty saying the n-word came up, and Claremont was kind of sheepish and defensive about it and the other two were both like, "that was loving awesome."

Sure, but have you considered the feelings of the white people reading the comics????