Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I've been cleaning up trophies for Warm Snow, but I'm missing two bits of story that don't seem to be dropping. Am I supposed to be beating the chapter 4 boss until his drops or is there a step I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

been trying to make a transformation build work in path of achra

this is the farthest ive gotten. pretty sure wormform and snakeform are absolutely neccesary because they work with the god and the prestige class, but the third one im not sure on. batform is nice because it triggers really easily as an apostle but a big problem is that you cant really control which form you end up on and for some reason batform always comes on top and its pretty squishy. any ideas?

babypolis fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 11, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I didn't really mind it myself but I do understand, it is a bit silly to give a +1 heart pickup to someone who is not being hit ever.
Not really, because you get it for not getting hit on that floor, while later floors might give you trouble.
Do good early on with the earlier levels, and you get an advantage that can get you through the later stuff you're not as consistent with.

My issue with ETG still remains the sluggishness of clearing rooms and floors. Game would be better served with smaller floors and rooms that have more enemies with less HP.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Always nice to see someone discovering Dungeonmans for the first time! It's one of my favorites. As for your questions:

There's no benefit to turning in books to the library once it reaches full size.

There's a piggy bank you can unlock. I forget what it does (in particular, whether it lets you give currency to future characters), it was added after the last time I was playing the game. I think it may require finding the pig vendor, which is a vendor that spawns in like 1 in every 5-10 towns or so. It's possible to get a world seed with no pig vendors, but you can generate a new overworld from the Academy.

Shops gain new stock when you give purloined inventory to the town mayor. If you buy out a specific shop, you can give that specific shop purloined inventory to restock it, but you have to buy it out first. You can also find secret shops in dungeons (specifically the regular dungeons, not swamps, towers, graveyards, etc).

Chickens get more powerful when you breed them, yes. Their generation is one of the core stats for making them more powerful.

Beating the game does not require you to do any stuff you can miss out on. Specifically, all you need to do to beat the game is complete the Mountain Fortress, then complete the Dread Spire in the bottom-right corner of the map. The only "missable" stuff I know of is: if you encounter an injured bandit on the overworld, hear him out, and don't lose the map he gives you.

Hey, thanks for your answers. Some follow-ups:

I've heard about the pig vendor. I've glanced at a couple guides on Steam and it was mentioned. I've bought the thing I think I need to access the shop, just gotta find the person. Do they have a unique sprite or do I need to try to talk to every NPC in every town?

So the stock has to be bought completely out before turning in the Inventory items? Turning them in with inventory left doesn't add any more items? I've noticed some shops that sell skill books and they are ridiculously expensive (and only pay a handful of coppers if I try to sell mine, lol) so I guess those shops are a lost cause.

Hm, so I guess I can't just level the same chicken constantly. I've stuck with the first one I got and it's pretty beefy at this point and saves my rear end during swarms and boss fights as long as I have potions to keep it alive. I think the in-game text might've explained it already, but how are the abilities passed on to the offspring? If one chicken has 4 and the other one 2, is it random which of those will be on the new chicken?

I think I got that map already! I remember finding the injured NPC. If I click on the map in the inventory, nothing seems to happen.

New question I just thought of: is there any point in paying for rumors from the bartenders? Will those dungeons appear normally just by exploring the world map?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Roguelikes: I can’t just level the same chicken constantly

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ofecks posted:

Hey, thanks for your answers. Some follow-ups:

I've heard about the pig vendor. I've glanced at a couple guides on Steam and it was mentioned. I've bought the thing I think I need to access the shop, just gotta find the person. Do they have a unique sprite or do I need to try to talk to every NPC in every town?
The pig vendor is both visually and textually recognizable, he looks like a farmer hopped up on moonshine. He's also surrounded by pigs.

quote:

So the stock has to be bought completely out before turning in the Inventory items? Turning them in with inventory left doesn't add any more items? I've noticed some shops that sell skill books and they are ridiculously expensive (and only pay a handful of coppers if I try to sell mine, lol) so I guess those shops are a lost cause.
If you hand purloined inventory to the mayor, then all of the vendors in that town immediately get more inventory. But you can only do this as long as the town hasn't hit max prosperity. Once the town maxes out, or if you're dealing with a vendor that isn't in a town at all, the only way to refresh a vendor is to buy them specifically out. At that point, when you talk to them, they'll say "hey, I'm out of stock, got any purloined inventory?" and you can hand them a bunch of crates to make them specifically restock.

quote:

Hm, so I guess I can't just level the same chicken constantly. I've stuck with the first one I got and it's pretty beefy at this point and saves my rear end during swarms and boss fights as long as I have potions to keep it alive. I think the in-game text might've explained it already, but how are the abilities passed on to the offspring? If one chicken has 4 and the other one 2, is it random which of those will be on the new chicken?
I think it's random. I've never used chickens because I'm not big on pet-based gameplay. (this is dumb, chickens just straight-up make you more powerful and they're easy to use, but I'm a stick in the mud)

quote:

I think I got that map already! I remember finding the injured NPC. If I click on the map in the inventory, nothing seems to happen.
The map should help you find The Tower Imperiled, a special tower dungeon. If you've already revealed that dungeon, then I don't think the map does anything any more. Completing that tower dungeon will unlock a crafting station in the Academy, which is only really useful for postgame stuff. So you're not missing out on much. But it is a neat dungeon and is worth playing for its own sake IMO.

quote:

New question I just thought of: is there any point in paying for rumors from the bartenders? Will those dungeons appear normally just by exploring the world map?

Bartender rumors create new dungeons that are appropriate to the level of your current character. They're basically a way for you to get more options for how to level up, if you don't like the dungeons that the game made by default.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

LazyMaybe posted:

My issue with ETG still remains the sluggishness of clearing rooms and floors. Game would be better served with smaller floors and rooms that have more enemies with less HP.

this is my issue too and i rediscover it every time i think hey let's try gungeon again!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I like everything about gungeon except playing it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i love gungeon and hate nuclear throne but i'm a known weirdo

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Gungeon is a game where enemies go down slow and bullets are slow with very low lethality but it means that once you get decent in the game you can just stand out in the open and shoot and dodge. Nuclear Throne is a game with much faster everything which means being extremely patient and abusing cover to the max is heavily rewarded. Gungeon is the slower game but you can play much more recklessly, which I like. But I know gungeon is um heavily criticized here.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

No Wave posted:

Nuclear Throne is a game with much faster everything which means being extremely patient and abusing cover to the max Steroids and dual wielding wrenches and parrying everything like you're in Sekiro is heavily rewarded loving rules hell yeah

(I also like doing melee-only runs in ETG :v:)

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Cowering behind cover is not actually the most effective way to play Nuclear Throne, at least not until loop 3. You should push forward and strafe around aggressively whenever possible because otherwise you get trapped in a hail of bullets. It’s the Dark Souls shield problem again: playing slow and defensive feels effective when you’re starting out, so people stick to it instead of learning to play aggressively, and then it makes their game less fun, because it’s not only slow but actually not that effective either.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

megane posted:

Cowering behind cover is not actually the most effective way to play Nuclear Throne, at least not until loop 3. You should push forward and strafe around aggressively whenever possible because otherwise you get trapped in a hail of bullets. It’s the Dark Souls shield problem again: playing slow and defensive feels effective when you’re starting out, so people stick to it instead of learning to play aggressively, and then it makes their game less fun, because it’s not only slow but actually not that effective either.
That cant work on stage 3. I hate stage 3.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

No Wave posted:

The scrapyard? That's actually one of the levels that rewards mobility most, I find. Trying to stick near cover can sometimes be helpful if you're having trouble with the snipers and salamanders, but for the most part you want to try to stay on the move. Strafe laterally and keep an eye out for assassins.

If you're really feeling gutsy, you can bring a melee weapon in your other slot and nail the timing on the snipers' shots. Really impresses people in co-op, let me tell you

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

No sorry I mean narrow ice world with exploders. I forgot NT counts the little levels. I like scrapyard the crows are good enemies.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

The junkyard snipers don't force you to stay in cover, but they do make you duck into cover briefly from time to time, or get good at timing melee swings. Staying mobile really is the best way to play -- like megane says, if you try to bunker down, you'll end up getting swarmed and with no room to maneuver.

Mind you, there are certainly times when you want to limit your exposure to enemies. The main one that comes to mind is Little Hunter, where ideally you want to be fighting only him and nothing else. From the start of 5-3, you have like 5-10 seconds to find a cul de sac and clear it out of enemies, otherwise you'd best hope you can kill him very quickly. (which is possible, dude dies in like 3 crossbow bolts)

edit: oh, you meant the ice levels. You absolutely will get swarmed by yetibots and wolfbots if you try to bunker down as a baseline strategy. You need to hide if one of the tripods gets their ranged attack off, sure, but ideally you kill them before they start shooting.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Do you mean the junkyard or the frozen city? It works in both those places. There are always going to be rooms with high enemy density that you have to fire into to clear them out a bit before you can push in, and of course you should always be using the terrain to get good angles so you can shoot things safely, but that’s not quite the same as hiding behind cover.

I’d say the only fight in the game where I have to go behind cover and just sit there for more than a second is Mom (because of poison clouds), and that’s not until loop. And even then it only happens if the terrain is so bad I can’t get line of sight on her.

e: f;b

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Any good roguelikes on the horizon? I'm running on fumes here.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

No Wave posted:

No sorry I mean narrow ice world with exploders. I forgot NT counts the little levels. I like scrapyard the crows are good enemies.

Yeah that place is a shitstorm. The main thing there is to bring some serious firepower and place your shots well - you need to ace the yetis before they catch you, you need to blow up the spiders before they blast you, and you need to clear out a space to fight in real loving quick before Lil' Hunter drops in. Mobility is still pretty important, but lethality is even more so there.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

They don't make those anymore.
Return next year and maybe DarkGod will have some news on the DLC.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My favorite thing in Nuclear Throne is bringing a bazooka to the Frozen Wastes and just nailing every robot with a rocket to the face. My second favorite thing is firing just before I've finished moving out of cover, and lodging a rocket into the wall two inches in front of my face :v:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Broken Cog posted:

Shiren 6 is out next month if you have a switch.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My favorite thing in Nuclear Throne is bringing a bazooka to the Frozen Wastes and just nailing every robot with a rocket to the face. My second favorite thing is firing just before I've finished moving out of cover, and lodging a rocket into the wall two inches in front of my face :v:

I prefer rolling into Frozen Wastes with a sledgehammer and repeatedly nailing the timing on my attacks to smoke yetis just as they charge me :black101:

Doing melee-only Steroids runs can teach you quite a lot about the timing and behaviour of various enemy attacks.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That reminds me: Trigger Fingers is the mutation to up your game in Nuclear Throne. A lot of slow-but-powerful weapons become devastating when you get Trigger Fingers. If y'all've forgotten, Trigger Fingers reduces your reload time every time you kill something. I forget the exact numbers, but even just one kill per shot is a big increase in your fire rate. If you want to run crossbows (aside from the autocrossbow, of course), explosives, melee, or the big energy weapons, it's a must-have IMO.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

I'm wondering if that's like, a thing anymore

roguelike elements, roguelites, absolutely, they're exploding on steam (when loving god of war and assassin's creed do rogue modes you know you made it)

pure strain organic non gmo roguelike? not sure

I certainly don't see them pop up in my feed very often and I watch new releases on steam and sub to several indie game aggregator youtubes

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I haven't played it but Soulash 2 came out last month :shrug:

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

seriously you can just flick through random poo poo on steam and find absolute gold that would've been genre defining 15 years ago

oh what's this weird poo poo "clicks caves of qud" "clicks Cogmind" "clicks rift wizard"

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

deep dish peat moss posted:

I haven't played it but Soulash 2 came out last month :shrug:

This is insane to me. As I feel like I preordered soulash two months ago.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

just bummed that we may never know how big the bia is

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Broken Cog posted:

Rift Wizard 2! (!!!)

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

Arzaac posted:

just bummed that we may never know how big the bia is

This gets me every time...

Big Bia posted:

A unique Rogue-Lite strategy adventure game
There is no time and space in the world of BIG BIA. Apes and robots may join your adventure. You may go to the ancient forest or you may go to a technology company.
In the world of BIG BIA, everyone writes their character on their faces, but you still can’t tell what they will do.
In the world of BIG BIA, everything can be treated as food, and it’s no big deal to be eaten.
In the world of BIG BIA, you may be kicked to death by your companions.
In the world of BIG BIA, Anyone may fall in love with another, no one could tell.
In the world of BIG BIA, you may beat someone else’s dad to irritate dad’s dad.
In the world of BIG BIA, if you send your companion to the hospital, you may forget to pick him up.
In the world of BIG BIA, eating ice watermelon will boost to crit chance.
In the world of BIG BIA, most people spin a gatcha before head out.

The Big Bang is where the universe starts, and Big Bia can be where your game starts.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
no... no!! no!!! :'(

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

We are not worthy of the bia. we never were.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

We were led to believe the Bia was Big but it was merely a trick of perspective

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

megane posted:

We were led to believe the Bia was Big but it was merely a trick of perspective

incorrect, the bia is very large and only looks small because it's far away

:(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Bia is actually very large it's just...cold in here.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

tokenbrownguy posted:

seriously you can just flick through random poo poo on steam and find absolute gold that would've been genre defining 15 years ago

oh what's this weird poo poo "clicks caves of qud" "clicks Cogmind" "clicks rift wizard"

I mean that's great, but they're not really 'new' anymore. RLs have a very long staying power, but it's not like we can get forks of these projects and so it's been a few years since the last "oh poo poo, I GOTTA try that out" came around.

So I think the answer basically boils down to Rift Wizard 2.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Nuclear Throne chat:

There are a lot of easy ways through the snow area, my favorite is playing as YV with a shovel and long arms. You can get by without long arms if you are quick, but if you play your corners well it's very safe. Even better with stress and/or scarier face, the latter especially since it changes a LOT of enemies from taking two hits to die with a shovel or crossbow to one. Similarly, YVs passive + stress reduces the cool down of the shovel swings enough to become very forgiving, especially once your health gets real low (which synergizes fantastically with boiling veins, which would be amazing even if it didn't).

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The slow, random accrual continues with Triangle Wizard 2 v2.1---yet another new deity, QoL smattering, Unique Item generator, etc

https://www.trianglewizard.com/post/new-triangle-wizard-2-version-2-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Anyone ever hear of Withering Rooms before? Stumbled upon it today and it looks cool and weird as hell. Sort of a roguelike metroidvania meets Clock Tower? I'm gonna give it a whirl. While it says it's EA, apparently the game is functionally complete -- the dev is just waiting to coordinate an official 1.0 launch with upcoming console version releases.