Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah that's especially just how original go nagai stuff roles. the anime adaptations are the toned down versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fivemarks posted:

At the very least, depending on the episode, Sayaka does NOT put up with that poo poo.

I remember in Voltron it was a roll of the dice whether you got Allura as Princess Leia or one of the more passive Disney princesses but maybe that was down to the re-dub.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vSqgo6HFUw

Did someone say Mazinger SKL

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I did, yes. Thank you.

Also, Synduality Noir is back, for anyone else watching it. Picks up right where season 1 left off, too.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Dawgstar posted:

I remember in Voltron it was a roll of the dice whether you got Allura as Princess Leia or one of the more passive Disney princesses but maybe that was down to the re-dub.

I'm not a Voltron/Golion expert or anything, but a lot of shows from that era had different script writers for different episodes, so it's quite possible that how she was characterized depended on who was writing the specific episode. This was famously apparent in Zeta Gundam, where Fa waffled between incompetent deadweight and competent pilot somewhat regularly.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

When y'all said Mazinger Edition Z started in media res y'all weren't kidding. I don't mind too much but I can see it being a little off-putting because Kouji especially just bounces around.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's less in medias res and more it just starts out with a clip show lol

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Like I said it's probably best to just skip episode one and watch it at the very end

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
You watch the first four minutes of episode 1, but then skip the rest since its literally just random moments from throughout the show with no real connective tissue.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm usually not terrible impressed by the mecha designs in American comics, but I saw this, and check that green guy out. That is a robot designed by someone who has watched Zeta Gundam. There is no other explanation

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
With a name like Mecha I'd expect something like that from the comic.

Also why is there a gun coming out of that Dijeh's rear end?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

It is giving birth.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a dijeh's rear end contains many things.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Bang Bravern raws are out and it is exactly what we thought Obari would put out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Guessing nobody picked it up so it's waiting for fansubs then?

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I sort of feel bad spoiling myself on it on Twitter. But them again there was no way a show called Bang Brave Bang Bravern could be anything else.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RangerKarl posted:

Bang Bravern raws are out and it is exactly what we thought Obari would put out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkg_03wzNKQ

yeah the OP looks exactly like what you'd expect "an Obari anime but in the '20s" to look like

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 11, 2024

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
thought it was weird that a real robot show had a name like that so i wasn't surprised when i saw that on twitter lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i enjoyed the first episode a lot

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Well I have reawakened my love for bombastic mecha, so... who's streaming it?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Hah, that's hilarious.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Even without subs that was loving awesome. Independence Day with mecha gets interrupted by a Super Robot show.

I laughed when Isami got into Bravern's cockpit and then it started piping its own theme music through the radio while he's trying to get the hang of piloting.

Also Yohei Azakami is riding the mecha wave after GWitch because he's here voicing Lewis. And Yume Miyamoto is here as well, come to think of it.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 12, 2024

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Haven't watched yet but I know 100% were gonna get a combination robot and can't wait to see it and the theme song

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Oh man, yeah definitely gonna try and track this down. It's not on any platforms?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
A+ juke. Glad they kept it out of the marketing material to the point that the "key image" they used for the show until today was bullshit.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kingtheninja posted:

Oh man, yeah definitely gonna try and track this down. It's not on any platforms?

The only platform that picked it up streams exclusively to the SEA market.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
I'll be sure to watch it on their YouTube for you guys.

EDIT: I had thought it was a service like MUSE Asia that posts on YT, it's a literal TV channel. I forgot those existed...

RangerKarl fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 12, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Spoilers for Bang Bravern, of course: https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...sh=461fb6a86d5e

It's charming they've never seen a super robot show before, I guess.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Bang Bravern will stream on Crunchyroll 1/18 and will include the first 2 episodes.

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/1745856096642781690?t=MsbcHGjvaYucRXxzy9elyg&s=19

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Bang Bravern, as it turns out, is good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/G1_BARI/status/1745690658575401037?t=V2DSyNfPK6THsANWnuehSg&s=19

Obari: What is a sound director without listening to the cries from the soul of the performer who plays the main character?

That's what I felt like.

I am not going to get over how dumb and yet how utterly amazing it is that Bravern blasts his own theme song into the cockpit.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah that was real fun and I'm shocked more shows haven't done Real Robots into Super Robots as its really good set up. Also it kinds of roots the show so Obari can't go too wild like he did for his 00's robot shows

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I am not going to get over how dumb and yet how utterly amazing it is that Bravern blasts his own theme song into the cockpit.

Have you seen Dynazenon? It had a similar gag early on. (It also had characters very confused about there being sound and explosions in space.)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzFd_XudeE4&t=33s

A wataru anime in the year 2024 already gonna be a wild year for mecha it looks like

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Does the original Wataru hold up? SRW X has me kind of interested in it.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I don't think the original is actually subbed anywhere, but I believe at least some of the sequel stuff is.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Some of it got subbed on one of Bandai's youtube channels a few years ago, but yeah they didn't do the whole thing. Think the only outcome of that was someone saving the subs, so you'd also have to time them to raws.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rAd4SXGn6w

BAN BAN BANBAN BANBANBANBANBAN BUREIBAN

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Thinking about old super robot anime reminded me about Kotetsu Jeeg. Did anyone ever fully sub that show? It looks like probably not from what I'm able to find, but really, finding anything at all is pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

King of Solomon posted:

Thinking about old super robot anime reminded me about Kotetsu Jeeg. Did anyone ever fully sub that show? It looks like probably not from what I'm able to find, but really, finding anything at all is pretty hard.

Do you speak Italian? If so, then watching Jeeg will be much easier for you.