Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Yeah I think you're slightly out of luck there, that's sorta just how cats will show you they love you :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, that sounds like issues with physical touch. Which I totally get, not everyone is big on that. But cats loooooove to groom and cuddle as a way of showing affection, so that’s how it’s gonna go with them.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

That and the purring.

Unfortunately, between OP and the cats, OP is the only one who has the possibility of changing their side of the communication. The cats don't have the capacity to change how they communicate to exclude purring or grooming, but still express love and happiness.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Wow that's a unique opinion. I don't think I've met anyone who doesn't melt from purring -though I can understand the licking thing. One of my boys shows his affection by grooming and will sit there drooling on the same spot or licking the same spot of your arm raw.

Is it a sensory thing? I don't think you'll make them upset by avoiding their licks, but yeah purring helps them physically, and bunting/scent marking also helps with bonding.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i finally trained tandy to stop suckling on my ear/puffing his whiskers out and dragging them across my face in the middle of the night. he learned that doing this means he is ejected from the bed, so now we just spoon. my only training tool is "i am moving you now" which is working super well for 99% of issues.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

cash crab posted:

i finally trained tandy to stop suckling on my ear/puffing his whiskers out and dragging them across my face in the middle of the night. he learned that doing this means he is ejected from the bed, so now we just spoon. my only training tool is "i am moving you now" which is working super well for 99% of issues.

I wish my cat would respond to this. As of this evening he is climbing on the stove while I am cooking, which is very dangerous to him and unhygienic for us. I pick him up and put him down and that just becomes a game for him. I've counted up to 10 times before I stopped counting.

All the stuff online, and people like Jason Galaxy and TikTok animal behaviorist lady is like "you should never do anything except disengage and go to another room," but I cannot do that in such a situation. The only thing that kind of works sometimes is the spray bottle, but apparently this traumatizes them for life and makes them live in fear of you and you are a horrible person if you do this, so I feel very bad when I use it.

Misbehaving kitty:

Also he is biting our faces in the morning now, like on the upper cheek below the eye. Fucker! He is 8 months old now -- is this of any significance?

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 10, 2024

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

I wish my cat would respond to this. As of this evening he is climbing on the stove while I am cooking, which is very dangerous to him and unhygienic for us. I pick him up and put him down and that just becomes a game for him. I've counted up to 10 times before I stopped counting.

All the stuff online, and people like Jason Galaxy and TikTok animal behaviorist lady is like "you should never do anything except disengage and go to another room," but I cannot do that in such a situation. The only thing that kind of works sometimes is the spray bottle, but apparently this traumatizes them for life and makes them live in fear of you and you are a horrible person if you do this, so I feel very bad when I use it.

Misbehaving kitty:

Also he is biting our faces in the morning now, like on the upper cheek below the eye. Fucker! He is 8 months old now -- is this of any significance?

Hmmm... Have you maybe tried something elevated nearby that's okay for him to sit on? Maybe he's just trying to be Involved In The Thing You Are Doing and being able to see from nearby would satisfy him? We've got a bar-height chair that our cat will hang out in if we're baking or whatever in the kitchen. Similar to people who have a cat spot next to the computer to keep kitty from wanting to sit on the keyboard.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

taiyoko posted:

Hmmm... Have you maybe tried something elevated nearby that's okay for him to sit on? Maybe he's just trying to be Involved In The Thing You Are Doing and being able to see from nearby would satisfy him? We've got a bar-height chair that our cat will hang out in if we're baking or whatever in the kitchen. Similar to people who have a cat spot next to the computer to keep kitty from wanting to sit on the keyboard.

This is what Montessori does with toddlers and it works so worth a shot

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

taiyoko posted:

This is a great idea, I had the same problem when I would do crafts stuff and the little guy that's bonded with me would constantly try to sit on the table and refuse to stop, I was always worried he'd get glue on himself or paint on his fur and then groom it off! I got a cheap cat tree last black friday that's a little taller than the table I work on and now he comes in and meows for a bit till I pet him before going to snooze in the cat tree till I leave the room.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

mawarannahr posted:

Misbehaving kitty:

Seconding the "make a cat perch" suggestion. They're can often understand staying in a designated spot, especially if it's higher than expected.

On the spray bottle: depends on the cat, I think. We used to use it pretty often in our cat's younger years and she never seemed traumatized, just startled, then offended that we got her wet. It did not seem to change her opinion of us, but we also did try to hide the bottle itself from her view. At some point, though, she decided that wasn't so bad, and so she ignored getting sprayed pretty much completely, except to make a little grumpy meow at us when it happened.

I miss her being young and healthy enough to get into trouble. She used to love climbing bookshelves and would grumble at us the whole way down when we caught her and told her to get down. Siamese :3:

Now she has ramps and stairs and grippy shelf liner on smooth surfaces so she doesn't slip. She keeps to the beds and couches these days. I wish they'd stay young & healthy forever!

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I can’t think of a better feeling than a purring cat sleeping on me

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

an iksar marauder posted:

I can’t think of a better feeling than a purring cat sleeping on me

:same:

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
It's a nice feeling! Though I get that sometimes it can come with challenges. My girl decides that around 4 am is when it's time for her to cozy up to my neck/chest area and purr and if I am not petting her, she cries and cries, so no sleep until she's satisfied.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Relatedly, my cat on two separate occasions managed to turn on the gas while jumping onto (or off of? nobody was home) the stove, so I recommend getting knob covers for when it's not in use. I don't know if he's dimwitted enough to activate and step onto an electric element but better not find out.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

taiyoko posted:

He already has a perch on the counter behind me, which is maybe 1.5 foot higher. He also just gets on the counter when I'm un-canning his food or washing his bowl and starts trying to eat it there :/

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Obnoxipus posted:

It's a nice feeling! Though I get that sometimes it can come with challenges. My girl decides that around 4 am is when it's time for her to cozy up to my neck/chest area and purr and if I am not petting her, she cries and cries, so no sleep until she's satisfied.

I feel this one, though luckily for me it's around 6:30 AM or so, and mostly because I get up by 7:30 and the first thing I do is feed the cats. Luckily, it also means that I have the most reliable (if early) alarm clock in the world lol

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
We used a can of duster instead of a water bottle to train my cat to stop picking at the rug, just a loud audio cue while chasing her away. Worked fine and she doesn’t seem permanently broken

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Duster can worked splendidly for us because one cat doesn't give a poo poo about it and she's a little angel that never does anything wrong. The one that actually does bad things reacts like an air raid is in progress and heads for the bunker.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i used compressed air to disengage them from the door when i first got them. that helped a lot. you just need to make sure they only hear a sound and don't get blasted with any air.

as for the stove top, tandy also jumps onto the table if i have people over for games. in this instance i take him into a different room, give him a toy and interact with him a bit since i assume the sudden interest in the table is "hey why aren't you looking at me, the most special boy in the world". but see if the air will work too.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

All the stuff online, and people like Jason Galaxy and TikTok animal behaviorist lady is like "you should never do anything except disengage and go to another room," but I cannot do that in such a situation.

I’m pretty confused by this, because that’s not at all what I took away from these kinds of sources. If I summed it up, I think they’re saying:

1.Cats don’t understand the concept of punishment (you can still intervene and distract / redirect them)
2. Avoid accidentally rewarding undesired behaviour
3. If you say “no” also give them a “yes” (show them what you want them to do instead, and this might be a compromise)

For our cat who’s curious about what we’re doing in the kitchen, we’ve steered her to sitting in a specific location (a bar stool) by physically placing her there whenever she goes somewhere we don’t want. Then we dote on her and bring her the cooking ingredients to smell (so she isn’t tempted to come onto the counter). She gets to satisfy her curiosity but in a way we’re okay with, and over time she’s learned to go to the stool first and skip the step where we move her around.

For the kitchen table, which we also don’t want our cats on, it’s similar to the above but without any kind of reward after being removed because we want it to be as boring as possible - they don’t get a fun reaction out of us that could inadvertently teach them climbing onto the table is a good way to initiate play time.

I also took away that it’s totally okay for “saying no” to mean a strong disincentive to do something, but ideally it doesn’t get associated to you. That’s where tools like the ssscat or citrus scents or sticky tape or whatever can come into play. “I don’t like what happens when I do this” is a good lesson, but when you’re the one doing it (spray bottle) they don’t really understand why. The line of “action” to “consequence” isn’t clear for them.

I wouldn’t say we have perfect behaviour from our cats right now, trying to follow this advice. But we have 100% noticed improvements and some issues have resolved completely. We might just need to work on our consistency.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

It's funny you mention that on the cooking thing, because we've never had a problem with our cats jumping up when we're cooking things despite them loving to get involved for everything else but we also have always let them sniff the cooking ingredients when we're taking them out of the fridge or whatever just because they seemed to like it and they love hanging around the kitchen.

I never really thought about how those two things could be related, since they get to do the part they like in terms of smelling things and being a part of the activity without getting in the way/getting somewhere dangerous

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
is your cat motivated by treats? my Wojo is uninterested in dry treats but loves the squeeze tubes of liquid treats.

she gets excited when I'm cooking and will come start rubbing my ankles and meowing. recently when she does this, I'll pick her up and cuddle for a minute, then take her over to her cat bowl (on the opposite side of the house) and feed her a treat there

I don't know if this helps or if I'm just training her to beg for treats lol. but it seems to redirect her interest from whatever I'm cooking to the treat, and then she's satisfied

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

My cyclops has started to develop an opaque "film" on the bottom of his eye. It's not that the eye is becoming cloudy. It looks more like when you pull a sticker off a window and the adhesive stays.

I've tried to get my vet to look at it, but Morris was fighting him and I think he thought I was just being a crazy cat parent hypochondriac.

I have found one Reddit post from someone who posted a picture of a similar issue. Their outcome was they got eye drops from the vet and it went away, but they never said what the eye drops were and it seems like the account was possibly abandoned or is just rarely used.

Here's the Redditor's picture, but it looks just like my cat:

Has anyone seen anything like this and do you know what the eye drops I need to ask for are?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Asked in the vet thread, but thought I'd ask her if maybe for a faster response. I accidentally took a half tab of 12.5mg zeniquin(animal antibiotic for my kitty) and just thought i'd ask if that's something that is gonna be a problem or not? I dont know how bad an animal medicine is for a humon.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Macksy posted:

Asked in the vet thread, but thought I'd ask her if maybe for a faster response. I accidentally took a half tab of 12.5mg zeniquin(animal antibiotic for my kitty) and just thought i'd ask if that's something that is gonna be a problem or not? I dont know how bad an animal medicine is for a humon.

It looks like the generic name is marbofloxacin and that it's of a class of antibiotics also used for humans, although a quick google doesn't make it totally clear if it's prescribed for human use? I'm not seeing any evidence that it would be dangerous, though.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Macksy posted:

Does the package have a hotline to call? Like the distributor -assuming you still have like thr box and not just the bottle with your prescribing vet/clinic.

IANAD, but it's also common to feel kinda sick if you take an antibiotic and certain medications like birth control are less effective for a window afterwards. So if you're on anything and have a primary care physician, it might be worth calling them and just confirming if that accidental dose might reduce your medication's efficacy.

Also I thought I'd ask here, since googling mostly gets me results about infections, rot, feces, or overactive glans smells, but have y'all ever had kittens with a stronger musk than other cats?
My new little buddy Nana smells way more than my other cats. It's definitely in his skin or fur, he seems to groom himself, but about 1 day after his flea baths it's come back. It's not strong, but say holding him you can smell it vs how you'd have to bury your face in another cat to smell them.

He's still intact/my vet still wanted to wait another month or two to fix him. He's roughly 8 weeks old.

He's a healthy boy, and we already dewormed him just to be safe since he was rescued from outside.

Some pictures of how much he's grown since the 22nd when I lured him into my house with the promise of food and other cats:

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 11, 2024

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Macksy posted:

Available documentation says "Consult a physician in case of accidental ingestion by humans" which bodes much better than "call poison control" or "induce vomiting" or any such warnings. The only specific warning for human overexposure is "If excessive accidental exposure occurs, avoid direct sunlight" so consider not going into the sun for several hours or until better advice is available. Call your physician if you have one at your earliest convenience :siren: unless you have a history of central nervous system problems (including but not limited to seizure) in which case call them now :siren: as the drug may increase likelihood of seizure in specifically dogs. As you are not a dog you are likely fine, but I am not a doctor so better safe than sorry.

I am not a doctor and am working off the following nih.gov page for the veterinary preparation: https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/fda/fdaDrugXsl.cfm?setid=05196313-2371-45ad-a6fb-6269f8ef94c5&type=display As such you should consider this to be The Worst Advice Available and allow it to be fully overriden by anyone who has ever even given serious thought to a medical degree, or loitered in the vicinity of a medical school for any length of time, as well as anyone with legitimate medical credentials.

With all that said, the efficacious dose is 1.25mg/lb of bodyweight in both feline and canine patients, so barring serious record-setting low body mass on your part (like the sub-50lb range) you are almost certainly completely fine.

E: Coolness Averted raises a good point about interactions, especially with birth control. Talk to your doctor about any drugs you're on, and use a secondary birth control method for the rest of this cycle and the next if you're using a chemical birth control method. As with the above advice, this is the worst advice available and you should forget it immediately the moment your physician or really any physician so much as acknowledges your existence, I am not a doctor just trying to be useful.

E2: Coolness Averted I don't know a drat thing about your stinky boy but he's adorable, hope this helps?

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 11, 2024

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

If my watching videos of pets being bathed by a professional groomer has taught me anything, often it means you need to wet down to the skin. Your soaks probably were too superficial and the soap didn't make all the way to the roots where the stink resides.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Why yes, I do have a new kitten. Why do you ask?

The offender in question:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

worth it.

But the general advice is you can train them to play softer, when it gets too rough just do the disengage and walk away thing. It's hard and they probably will give you the saddest eyes in all of history but it does work.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

xzzy posted:

worth it.

But the general advice is you can train them to play softer, when it gets too rough just do the disengage and walk away thing. It's hard and they probably will give you the saddest eyes in all of history but it does work.

I didn't do this early enough and now when I walk away quill leaps at my legs.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Why yes, I do have a new kitten. Why do you ask?

The offender in question:

my hands look like this so her mouth can be filled with the blood of her enemies (anything that moves)

i have had to yell at guests for letting tandy play with their hands. it's cute now, it will not be cute when he's like 15lbs of pure muscle.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I hope this is appropriate:

There is a cat, I guess call her a community cat. She comes to us twice a day for food and likes hanging out in our backyard. As far as we are aware she doesn't "belong" to anyone because we put a collar on her with an Airtag with our contact information on her and never heard from anyone. She has a clipped ear so we believe she was a spay and release as a kitten and never found a home range. Our backyard belong to our cat that passed away about a year ago and no cat claimed it until she showed up looking underweight and pitiful and I guess she took it for her own, only one other cat is ever in our backyard and they don't seemed threatened by each other. Anyways, long back story.

The next couple of days and nights are going to be very cold with some rain/ice/snow possible, high of 23, low of 13 is predicted right now. We bought a cat box and have insolated it with some Styrofoam.

https://www.amazon.com/GDLF-Enclosu...32-63e904010ad0

She has shown no interest in using it, even though there are soft blankets in there, we have tried feeding her in it, she will go in but otherwise doesn't stay. I'm worried about her with the winter weather. My research says with winter weather to never put blankets in there as it is dangerous but to use straw which I can't seem to find locally on short notice.

I have this which she uses on occation outside of her house:

https://www.amazon.com/Miguel-Water...144&sr=8-5&th=1

Would that be appropriate for the winter weather or would it be better to just have nothing but the styrofoam floor?

Also am I way overthinking this, to my knowledge no cats have frozen to death in our neighborhood, even though we have, lets call it a robust cat population. Do I need to tempt her into the box or will she figure it out if she gets cold enough?

Unfortunately, bringing her into the house is not an option, for 1 I don't thinks she we would have any interest also we have a lot of stuff that could be damaged by an untrained cat and I don't think our two indoor only cats would be happy about it.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Cat may not like the box because it only has one entrance, if something is chasing her she will be trapped in there.

PS just own it, you feed her twice a day and put a collar on her. It’s your cat now.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

FRIENDOS. Advice is needed.

3 weeks agone I got a new kitty. The hope is that new kitty and existing kitty would become friends and be there for one another while I'm at work or asleep. Or busy or whatever. Obviously a slim hope at best but I still tried to get them to get along. Predictably that didn't go well to start with so we're in 'introducing cats to one another' phase.

Now my place doesn't have a lot of 'rooms'. Specifically, while I have a bedroom, computer room, upstairs and downstairs and living room and dining room and kitchen, only the bedroom/computer room/bathrooms have actual DOORS. The bathrooms are a bit small so I didn't want to coop either kitty up in there, so we've barricaded off upstairs and downstairs. The barricade on day 1 was not sufficient to keep a kitty out so I was awakened day 1 with growling and hissing and new cat had come upstairs and made her way through the barricade and was having a hissing/growling standoff with old cat. I separated them, redid the barricade by removing closet doors and propping them up and now I can reliably keep the cats apart.

My first goal was to get them comfortable with each other's presence. I got a feliway and plugged it in, and Internets told me to rub a sock against cheeks to let cats smell one another. I did that. I swapped rooms so cats could get used to one another's smells and such. Everything 'seemed' to be going well and I couldn't QUITE figure out how long to keep doing this so I decided to introduce cats. The first introduction between them went well enough - they went nose to nose then hissed and growled so I separated them but kept them in the same room so they would at least be aware of each other's presence.

Second interaction had another nose-to-nose moment but then the old cat swiped at the new one. Probably not a huge thing but my mother was over and that startled her and she yelled out of shock and that in turn scared both cats even more. So I spent another week of smell-swapping until last weekend when I foolishly accidentally left the door open between up and downstairs and old cat decided to come down to see what's going on. She was on the stairs while me and new cat were on the floor and new cat was playing with a string toy. I went up to give old cat pets and old cat kinda freaked out, dashed DOWNSTAIRS (which I did not expect, I figured she'd go upstairs and hide under the bed because that's where she usually hides), ran around behind the couch, ran into the middle of the room where there was a brief little swatting back-and-forth between her and new cat then she ran upstairs.

I get that the occasional hissing or whatever shouldn't be a big deal but I'm just not familiar enough with cats to know when aggression is 'too much' or not. I'm trying to follow guides but a lot of them are inspecific and just say "Swap smells. Then let them go nose-to-nose through a screen." they don't say how long I should have the smell swapping go on. My attempts to get them to interact through a screen aren't going well, because I am by myself and the cats either climb over the baby gates or just run away when I'm on the other side of the gate.

Any more specific advice would be appreciated. Should I try to put them in the same room but separate them so they won't hiss/fight? Many pages say some hissing is OK or a swat here or there is OK but how do I know when it's too much? I know it's hard to try to advise on these situations but I feel like I'm out of my depth trying to figure out how to get these cats to at least coexist peacefully. I don't know if I'm doing things very right or very wrong, if I'm helping or making things worse, etc etc etc.

New kitty tax

khy fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 12, 2024

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Have you started making them eat near each other? And swapping litter boxes?

I'd do that for another week, then let them engage with each other under supervision.

Some swatting and hissing is normal, as long as it doesn't develop into a full on fight with claws, blood, and screaming.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Have you started making them eat near each other? And swapping litter boxes?

I'd do that for another week, then let them engage with each other under supervision.

Some swatting and hissing is normal, as long as it doesn't develop into a full on fight with claws, blood, and screaming.

New cat is very, very, very food motivated. Old cat is not. I try to give them both Churu when near each other but old cat won't eat when new cat's around, and new cat will eat old cat's food if given the chance. New cat is a bit chubby but so loving adorable.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

khy posted:

New cat is very, very, very food motivated. Old cat is not. I try to give them both Churu when near each other but old cat won't eat when new cat's around, and new cat will eat old cat's food if given the chance. New cat is a bit chubby but so loving adorable.

Hmm so old cat won't even eat within sight distance of the new cat? Last time I introduced cats I had them eating on opposite sides of a door / barricade for a bit before letting them hang out in person.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

When you say "brief back and forth swatting", can you describe that further? Did it happen really fast, or were they both hesitant? What sounds did they make, if any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

When you say "brief back and forth swatting", can you describe that further? Did it happen really fast, or were they both hesitant? What sounds did they make, if any?

1st incident : When they went nose-to-nose and old cat hissed and slapped at new cat. Just one little swat and then they both got freaked out when my mom got startled and yelled.

2nd incident : When old cat dashed downstairs, ran around, they got into a super brief confrontation (It's hard to tell if only 1 cat swatted at the other or if they both took a swipe, it was SUPER fast) and then old cat ran upstairs.