Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

Just LOL if you think it's for the sake of progress and not cutting staff to improve the margins with unforseen consequences.

no one here said that or is dumb enough to think that. you can still like the end result of the change even if it's done for profit-motive.

wait till you hear about how hosed up electronic manufacturing is, you'll be throwing your computer and phone in the trash immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Coolguye posted:

unlike donny t, however, musk has had a lot of much more public failures that crack the mythos.

lol are we talking about the same donald trump

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
At least Trump has the measure of Musk, I dislike them intensely, but in a momment of clarity trump nailed him to the fricking wall.
Game know game indeed.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Buce posted:

also he's using 0% of his mollenia, his few theoretical nussy pouches are empty, his ifak looks empty, and yes, his little pants are creased. he killed an unarmed guy in the middle of a protest Fifth Avenue and he thinks this makes him strong.

e: in reference to rittenhous

I tried, but even with the elaborate description and the rittenhouse photo as a reference I just can’t visualize this Donald Trump

Junk
Dec 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 45 minutes!
so what happened to the georgia case being thrown out because of sex

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

self checkouts are great because they help me get incredible discounts on my produce

Everything is potatoes

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

staberind posted:

Uh, No, places that have self checkout and cut down drastically on employing staff, are on the other side of the class war. are you sure you want to align with them?

Yes

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
3O parachute account spotted.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Don't make me probe you for a slanderous accusation like that

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

enough about self checkouts this thread is about Hotdogs goddammit!

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Toxic Mental posted:

Don't make me probe you for a slanderous accusation like that

ooofff. ahahaahahah. struck a nerve.
But yeah, weird derail, lets talk about hotdogs, reformed lips and rear end, the son of the sitting presidents, even.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I don't care what your politics are. No one deserves to be called Three Olives

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Junk posted:

so what happened to the georgia case being thrown out because of sex

Hunter Biden's captivating crotch took over the news cycle

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

staberind posted:

Uh, No, places that have self checkout and cut down drastically on employing staff, are on the other side of the class war. are you sure you want to align with them?

Self checkouts are fine when they're being added as a convenient option for shoppers, they're like a self-regulating kind of express lane (probably why express lanes seem to have gone extinct in most stores). They're not fine when stores are just trying to cut staffing to the bone. Our local Target has around 8 self-checkout lanes, but that's in addition to around 10 human cashiers on a typical day - this is the way.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Pictured: Man trying to use self checkout the day before Thanksgiving

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

We're not near fully automated luxury gay space communism by a long shot.

No doubt. But technological unemployment is always going to happen. The less people you have to hire for nearly the same quality of work the less overhead you have. Even a gay space communist wants to maximize returns while lowering overhead. It's almost literally basic math, there is no way to stop it.

The actual problem is lack of strong social safety nets, lack of strong unions to make sure workers are getting fair wages and fair work/life balance. And a large percent of peoples mindsets towards the very nature of work.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

staberind posted:

At least Trump has the measure of Musk, I dislike them intensely, but in a momment of clarity trump nailed him to the fricking wall.
Game know game indeed.

Trump and Musk seem similar in so many ways. I still can't decide who is worse

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

Self checkouts are fine when they're being added as a convenient option for shoppers, they're like a self-regulating kind of express lane (probably why express lanes seem to have gone extinct in most stores). They're not fine when stores are just trying to cut staffing to the bone. Our local Target has around 8 self-checkout lanes, but that's in addition to around 10 human cashiers on a typical day - this is the way.

Yeah, I totally agree, they are convenient in addition, as I mentioned upthread, also, I agree its unrealistic to freak out (or be surprised), about this kind of thing too much as its a "natural" product of unfettered capitalism.
Its probably looking like I dislike Mini -3O but I think they are great, I like their banter.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

No doubt. But technological unemployment is always going to happen. The less people you have to hire for nearly the same quality of work the less overhead you have. Even a gay space communist wants to maximize returns while lowering overhead. It's almost literally basic math, there is no way to stop it.

The actual problem is lack of strong social safety nets, lack of strong unions to make sure workers are getting fair wages and fair work/life balance. And a large percent of peoples mindsets towards the very nature of work.

The problem is literally everything, got it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

self checkouts are great because they help me get incredible discounts on my produce

Has anyone using a self checkout actually paid for organic produce?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Has anyone using a self checkout actually paid for organic produce?

I love me some organic bananas from my local store that I self-checkout at. :sotw:

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Call me Three Olives again, I dare you motherfucker

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
isn't the ape-adjacent avatar enough

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I love me some organic bananas from my local store that I self-checkout at. :sotw:

I love me some organic bananas too, but lol if they expect me not to ring them up as regular ones.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Charles Ford posted:

When Tesco tried to enter the US market they decided their US stores ("Fresh & Easy") should be self-checkout only. It was pretty good in general, but then California passed that law that said you couldn't use self checkouts for alcohol, and since they sold alcohol, they now had to have someone haunting the self checkout at all times. Shortly after they closed, so I assume those events are related.

It's a shame they closed, they sold Ribena and Robinsons.

Americans can't get Ribena? Is there no end to how much of a barren blighted land it is?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Most probably already know this, However we get the word sabotage not from anything military, (although thats how people try to use it, like a form of terrorism), but from disenfranchised workers, chucking clogs into machinery.
Checking out a higher priced object as a lower priced one is a good way of remembering and paying tribute to those pioneers.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

FuturePastNow posted:

I was shopping at K-Mart once and got in line at the only working register, the first person finished paying and left and then the little old lady in front of me, who only had a giant thing of fabric softener in her cart, pushed right past the cashier and straight out the door without paying. The cashier gave a half hearted "Hey..." and we both watched the lady, who didn't look a day less then 80, go.

Anyway K-Mart went out of business because of a crooked libertarian venture capitalist

she was just practicing what he preached

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

staberind posted:

Most probably already know this, However we get the word sabotage not from anything military, (although thats how people try to use it, like a form of terrorism), but from disenfranchised workers, chucking clogs into machinery.
Checking out a higher priced object as a lower priced one is a good way of remembering and paying tribute to those pioneers.

Common misconception

quote:

The English word derives from the French word saboter, meaning to "bungle, botch, wreck or sabotage"; it was originally used to refer to labour disputes, in which workers wearing wooden shoes called sabots interrupted production through different means. A popular but incorrect account of the origin of the term's present meaning is the story that poor workers in the Belgian city of Liège would throw a wooden sabot into the machines to disrupt production.[1]

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

Americans can't get Ribena? Is there no end to how much of a barren blighted land it is?

Aren't blackcurrants basically banned in America

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Dell_Zincht posted:

Nah they were banned like 100 years ago because they could kill pine trees but they’re not banned anymore

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Blackcurrants was the Capt. Planet villain that everyone thought was going to create oil spills in the ocean, but in reality he tricked them all by causing deforestation, so they never caught him.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Even accounting for the vendetta against blackcurrants, is there at least a high fructose corn syrup taste-alike version of Ribena that our American friends can enjoy?

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

#Self Checkouts! It's all happening on Awful, the Something App!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1745276417011536117?s=46&t=G1x8XWIwrNxUQoXItlkh2w

Why am I no seeing this being plastered all over the place? Get on it Brandon.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Even accounting for the vendetta against blackcurrants, is there at least a high fructose corn syrup taste-alike version of Ribena that our American friends can enjoy?

Closest thing is probably black cherry sodas

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

I hope not! I have a bootleg black currant bush out by my pond that is absolutely loaded every summer and I'll fight the man for it.

With self-checkouts, the store has figured out how to get you to do their work for free. You don't work there, but you pick out your own poo poo, ring up your own poo poo, pay for your own poo poo, and bag your own poo poo, all for nothing. An hourly wage job is now gone and the store can rake in those sweet grocery bucks without having to offer you even the bare minimum of service.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Again it’s literally like 3x faster and I don’t have to get breathed on by a bunch of random people, how is this hard to understand

Even when there is an open checkout line I will just do it myself. Class solidarity doesn’t mean wasting your own life and intentionally being inefficient with your time. There’s like 10,000 better ways to be more egalitarian.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

It's a constant disappointment in America when you get a purple drink or jam expecting delicious blackcurrant but then have to endure some horrible fake grape flavour

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

If I know a store bottlenecks you into using self checkout by only having one regular checkout open I just stop shopping there. It’s the reason I haven’t been to the local Safeway in years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

picking up items, operating a touchscreen, and using a bag are all basic skills i possess and i appreciate being given the opportunity to use them in order to avoid socially interacting with yet another goddamn person in this loving place i swear to god.