Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

That's not how I expected Demons of Baseball to end, but then, I had no idea how Demons of Baseball would end. It was quite a ride!

F Minus

Mark Trail

So it turns out bats are a pretty common source of rabies (although bites are more dangerous than scratches), but in looking it up I found this, which included this.

So, I thought he had been given a raccoon kidney, but it wasn't that after all. He died of rabies after receiving a kidney from another person who died of rabies.

Why they chose to harvest organs from someone who died "with vomiting and upper extremity paresthesias and progressed to fever, seizures, dysphagia, autonomic dysfunction, and brain death" remains a mystery.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

If he dies, he dies.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Doomykins posted:

"Don't think I lost." :laffo:

:laffo: Thank you for this. And yeah, that's a powerfully downer ending. Kinda reminds me of the ending of Tekkaman Blade, if I squint real hard.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

I DIDNT THINK SHE WOULD ACTUALLY BE COMMITTED TO A MENTAL HOSPITAL
OR THAT COPPER MA WOULD LITERALLY GO "i was NOT owned, do not tell anyone i was owned, i won also, we both won, do not put in the papers that i was owned"

absolutely incredible series start to finish, thank yo ufor bringing it to us

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

I'm just glad the comic ended with Copper Ma being permanently and unequivocally owned while still being completely Copper Ma about it.

I remember you said when the comic started that a lot could be said about Demons of Baseball as a lens into Korean society and geopolitics and so on of the era - I'd definitely be interested in hearing a bit about that now that the comic is done!

Also yes, agreed on this part if possible.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Cowslips Warren posted:

wait.

copper ma was not owned in the end. and planck and maggie just went crazy together?

And he lost his eyesight!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Giant Ethicist posted:

I'm just glad the comic ended with Copper Ma being permanently and unequivocally owned while still being completely Copper Ma about it.

I remember you said when the comic started that a lot could be said about Demons of Baseball as a lens into Korean society and geopolitics and so on of the era - I'd definitely be interested in hearing a bit about that now that the comic is done!

Well, how I tend to interpret the story is about the conflict between economic success (represented by Copper Ma and Director Sohn's obsession with high quality baseball) and social values (Planck and Maggie's doomed love). Planck and Copper are foils of each other. Planck sees baseball as a means to an end, of making him worthy of Maggie's love. Copper sees it the other way around- Maggie's love is important because it empowers his ability to play baseball. This all happens off-panel, mind you, but he seems to break up with whatshername because all of the political bullshit at the Meteors' front office is just a distraction which doesn't actually have very much to do with Copper's talents as a baseball player. Copper sees objective success as more important than political power. This is the apologist right wing view of modern South Korean history- what mattered about the dictators wasn't that they crushed political dissent, but that their actions eventually created economic development. Debatably this could apply to Copper himself, but we don't really see enough about his family background to say for sure.

Director Sohn's beliefs are similar, but way more big picture. While Copper's focus is on individual achievement, Sohn believes that individual achievement is meaningless without national unity, and he barely even puts up a fight against being fired from the Meteors because despite this success, he knows that this team's Copper Ma centered success will never break into the level required for South Korea to be a meaningfully competitive world player. Sohn believes that true transcendent achievement requires a goal beyond just success at baseball itself. Planck's brutal backstory, Toppen's desire to impress his son, Winnie's desire to exceed the shadow of his father, Hardy's anger about being short, and Two Guns' indignation over getting blacklisted for sticking up for his best friend, all represent rebellion against South Korea's increasingly individualist, empathy-lacking culture. By harnessing this strength, Sohn achieves true power- ironically by the definition of the very system these characters were rebelling against in the first place.

Planck rejects this paradigm entirely, ultimately sacrificing his newfound power for his original goal (love for Maggie) and never giving up on his ideals. Planck can't really hope to achieve much more than that, as he's not a revolutionary, just an individualist who values love over power, and rejects a society that doesn't share those values. This same value is at play with Maggie's story, with her inability to have faith in Planck compared to more immediate, concrete improvement in her material conditions having a deleterious long-term effect on her mental health as much as Planck's. They've achieved social prowess in a society they don't even like all that much, and which doesn't really like them in turn, placing no value on their mental health, a now famously stereotypical representation of South Korean culture which was at the time still quite recent. In this way Demons of Baseball reframes the generally positive social value of "never giving up" as being a flawed one if there's no greater purpose to your goal. In the end, Prudence Hong valorizes strength as beauty in part to argue that the spectacle of the game (with her show literally being called Pro Baseball Spectacle) has aesthetic value regardless of its motivation.

South Korean culture in general moved to this idea of political thought through the eighties, with even the Democratization Movement succeeding culturally less because of its political aims (the first two democratically elected presidents were still basically right wing dictators) and more because it was a movement willing to succeed at nearly any material or ideological cost. That much is a bit of editorialization on my part. Obviously Lee Hyun-se didn't know anything that was going to happen in the succeeding decades, but you can clearly see especially in any part of the story that deals with Japan how national insecurity is a constant, driving background motivation, the long shadow of which precludes any sort of sentimentalist thinking about national identity. The Demons of Baseball is also notable for not having a sentimentalist view about American style democratic ideals at all. Despite such values being critical to national identity in the democratized era, even the actual United States in this setting is pretty clearly implied to not actually have any kind of lofty moral beliefs.

The short of it is that South Korea used to be a lot angrier about basically everything really with contradictory, impossible to resolve ethical beliefs, and that this energy which used to drive the country's cultural and economic development has largely trickled out ever since as platitudes have come to be more acceptable than results. The Demons of Baseball represent a philosophical era where the ends were considered as important as the means, whereas these days it's the means at best that are considered worthy of discussion. The ends barely even factor into it, everyone just takes hellworld capitalism for granted now.

The politics of The Wandering Culinarian from the aughts which I'll do next are an interesting intermediate state between the eighties and today. The political content is very helpfully frontloaded, and food culture at all levels is discussed as something quintessentially Korean that doesn't necessarily have to be competitive, although the story inevitably gets into competitive arcs. Beauty without strength, basically. I'll be taking a bit of a break before starting up with that.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
I disappeared down a non-comic strip rabbit hole tonight, but you still get Mousetrapped, because I'm still curious about "Mousetrapped".

Julet Esqu posted:

I feel like just yelling "NO REALLY THIS IS TOTALLY STEAMBOAT WILLIE MICKEY AND NOT NORMAL MICKEY" without any other signifiers to differentiate him might not be enough to keep it in the public domain, but what do I know? I'm not a copyright lawyer.

Plaid shorts, no gloves. No jury in the world would convict him.

Kazinsal posted:

John Allison managed to briefly get away with an obvious Batman fan comic in Allisonverse clothing.

Randy Milholland will not manage to get away with angering the trillion-dollar industry that is Disney's legal department.

It would be deeply ironic if this is what drew Disney legal out instead of one of the many "mouse with a chainsaw" projects.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Plastic surgeon did a hell of a job, you can't even see the stitches anymore!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CcGpfwcJfJv/

EDIT:
And yes, I very much agree with Giant Ethicist

Giant Ethicist posted:

thisusedyet fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 11, 2024

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Love the woman with her shopping being all "I just want to go home, what does this weirdo want?"

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

If he dies, he dies.

Rex, this is Rene Belluso!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Bruceski posted:

Them's some good beavers. I enjoy how he draws personality into everything.

I agree; that panel is absolutely perfect!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Honestly, I'm just glad May has moved past the entire drama and seems to have gotten together with Kwan. Good on her.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

My cat Autolycus passed away today, a nine-year-old clown prince who had baseball mitts for paws and made friends with everyone he met. He had advanced kidney disease but was a fighter; he lived three years longer than anyone thought he would. Last month before Christmas he relapsed and my wife and I turned our home into a cat hospice. His vet gave him three days and he grabbed three weeks instead, and we made those three weeks as comfortable for him as possible. He was himself right up to the end, which came mercifully quickly when it did. We love the little guy, always will, and miss him terribly, achingly, completely.

I've had a very long day involving a lot of veterinary logistics and crying, and just now checked SA.

Oh, Lupin.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Some Guy TT posted:

Demons of Baseball!
Thanks, that's very interesting!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Howard Beale posted:

My cat Autolycus passed away today, a nine-year-old clown prince who had baseball mitts for paws and made friends with everyone he met.
Condolences and sympathy for your loss.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Legend of Bill

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Howard Beale posted:

My cat Autolycus passed away today, a nine-year-old clown prince who had baseball mitts for paws and made friends with everyone he met. He had advanced kidney disease but was a fighter; he lived three years longer than anyone thought he would. Last month before Christmas he relapsed and my wife and I turned our home into a cat hospice. His vet gave him three days and he grabbed three weeks instead, and we made those three weeks as comfortable for him as possible. He was himself right up to the end, which came mercifully quickly when it did. We love the little guy, always will, and miss him terribly, achingly, completely.

I've had a very long day involving a lot of veterinary logistics and crying, and just now checked SA.

Oh, Lupin.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Demons of Baseball was a glorious trip. It earned its dark ending, I'd say. Thanks for posting it!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Howard Beale posted:

Oh, Lupin.

Goondolances. We lost our cat Abigail about a year ago. Autolycus sounds like he was an excellent cat who had an excellent family.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

goondolences.

also,

quote:

Now is the time for all good cats to go to sleep
there are things to do tomorrow
And you can do them then
but now its time to sleep
and you can dream

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Whale?????

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 07, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Howard Beale posted:

Oh, Lupin.

sorry to hear, he sounds like he was very loved. its been a year and a couple months since our old man passed and its still fresh sometimes.

riderchop fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 11, 2024

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
:siren: a new Overboard animal just dropped :siren:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

A minor detail I'd like to add:
Word "yllättää" can mean "to catch red-handed" (by surprise) or just "to surprise" (doing something unexpected with no implication that the target was doing anything wrong).

Kennel fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 11, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kennel posted:

A minor detail I'd like to add:
Word "yllättää" can mean "to catch red-handed" (by surprise) or just "to surprise" (doing something unexpected with no implication that the target was doing anything wrong).

Yes, I made a minor edit so the joke would work better in English.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

I shot an elephant in my pajamas

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

you broke my grill posted:

I shot an elephant in my pajamas

How he got in your pajamas, you'll never know.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Thanks for translating and posting Demons, it was a great read. And thanks for the post explaining your interpretation of it it too!

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 12, 1961)

edit:

Howard Beale posted:

Oh, Lupin.

It's always horrible to lose a pet. I'm sorry. :(

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 11, 2024

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Howard Beale posted:

Oh, Lupin.

I'm so sorry for your loss. He was a very lucky cat to be so loved by such awesome people.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/10/04

Brenda Starr 6/1/52

Smokey Stover 2/15/59

Everyday Movies 2/18/37

"She don't have to tear up all her letters on my account."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 11/29/42

Spoilered for continuing presence of Lee Sung.

Closer Than We Think! 2/15/59

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kennel posted:

:siren: a new Overboard animal just dropped :siren:

The author has no knowledge of sea creatures, so the animal is horrifying and endearing.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Howard Beale posted:

Oh, Lupin.

Damnit dude I'm sorry. This year has been poo poo already.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

I must admit, I did not have "wedding crashed by a drunken failson of Ming" on my bingo card. (Mongo card?)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, February 16-22, 1983

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(9/27/1993)

I swear I'm not putting these new and old ones in similar positions next to each other on purpose, they just use the same setpieces SO MUCH.

(9/28/1993)

Ziggy

(7/5/1971)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Curtis

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Howard Beale posted:

Goondolences, I lost two cats in the span of about six months last year and it was pretty miserable - even though both of them had only lived with me for a few months before I lost them (One was my grandmother's 17-year-old cat Ella, already in iffy health, that I had to adopt when grandmama entered hospice care. The second was Bella, a 2- or 3-year-old shelter cat I adopted about a month after Ella passed; she turned out to have FELV, a diagnosis that the shelter either didn't test for or didn't inform me of. She only made it to April before it turned terminal.)

Cul de Sac

Foxtrot Classix

(Andy's gaming group acronym...almost a problem these days. Also, Amend is still drawing N64-style controllers in 2003. We've moved on, Bill! Dual sticks are the norm by now!)

Rose is Rose

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

riderchop posted:

Whale?????

Why does the whale have a foreskin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB