Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
It's a messed up naming thing. It definitely was called geisha at certain points, but I think the preference is towards calling it gesha these days as they both refer to a name in a different language, but one links it to a japanese thing while the other doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I have not gotten any bites on my Baratza Vario-W that I've been trying to sell for a while. (Factory refurbished, used it for ~3 years, and have steel burrs and an unused ceramic burr set).

Any ideas what a "reasonable" price would be, and where else I should list it? I've put it on SA mart, Reddit /r/coffeeswap, and the Espresso Aficionados discord.

I'd like to avoid places like Facebook Marketplace. I suppose Ebay is an option but then you deal with sellers fees...

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

OfferUp

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's still called Geisha here, but yes, it refers to a village in Ethiopia and there's no Japan connection.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

"Bourbon" variety of coffee beans also threw me off. Is it aged in a bourbon barrel or something? Nope, but still definitely one of my favorite varieties.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bandire posted:

What type of coffee were you making with the Capresso? Do you have any interest in branching out from there?

Capresso is still solid for what it is, but it's at the very front end of entry level. As others have said, it may be a good time to upgrade.

I mostly make french press, but sometimes I make espresso. Since it's not a real espresso machine, the Capresso does just fine for both grinds.

Google Butt posted:

If you can stretch it to $250, maybe a mignon crono. Then if you want to get into espresso all you need is a $25 set of the espresso burrs.

$250 for something that lasts as long as my last one did, sure, that's in my budget. I'll take a look, thanks.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

If you're willing to go up to 250, it may or may not be worth looking at the following as well:
1. Kingrinder K4/K6 if you don't mind hand grinding and want to save money (120-140). These have external adjustment but you cannot reset the zero point unlike many others.
2. 1zpresso Q2 heptagonal if you want something portable want to save money, and don't mind hand grinding (110)
3. 1zpresso K/J/X ultra/max or zp6 depending on your preference if you want a nice hand grinder, (150-200).
4. Baratza encore ESP. It's baratza for better and worse. It can actually do espresso out of the box. $200
5. Turin/MiiCoffee 40mm conical chinese rebranded burr grinder (SD/SK/D40). 150-200ish right now on preorder, presumably arriving soon since it's waiting for customs clearance. This one is only just now coming the US market, so it's not clear how many teething issues it will have like the DF64 had, but it's seemingly been very well received by youtubers. The stepless versions of these can do espresso.
6. Fellow ode. Maybe you can find one of these closer to $250. Whole latte love has it listed at 300 and there's one amazon listing at 289.
7. Fellow Opus. $200

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Squashy Nipples posted:

I mostly make french press, but sometimes I make espresso. Since it's not a real espresso machine, the Capresso does just fine for both grinds.

Yeah read up on the Baratza Encore ESP too, as gwrtheyrn suggested. It should be a fair upgrade from the Capresso for French Press and be serviceable for espresso.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

This makes me wish I could buy a real professional grinder for my Cimbali machine at the shop... unfortunately, my shop is a franchise, so I don't get to select my own equipment. The Cimbali itself is a nice machine, but it pains me that they made me gimp it with a pod system.

I keep telling them that the pods do NOT fool real coffee drinkers, but they don't care, because they are from the midwest, and don't know poo poo about coffee. Besides, as long as you dump enough syrup in there, most people can't taste the coffee anyways.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

If you want a suggestion for the next tier up, take a look at the df64 gen 2. Uses 64mm flat burrs which will give you a lot of popular options if you are so inclined.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Squashy Nipples posted:

This makes me wish I could buy a real professional grinder for my Cimbali machine at the shop... unfortunately, my shop is a franchise, so I don't get to select my own equipment. The Cimbali itself is a nice machine, but it pains me that they made me gimp it with a pod system.

I keep telling them that the pods do NOT fool real coffee drinkers, but they don't care, because they are from the midwest, and don't know poo poo about coffee. Besides, as long as you dump enough syrup in there, most people can't taste the coffee anyways.

Yeah, that sounds like a Caribou coffee. I stopped going there when I lived in the Midwest still. Those suburbanites sure do love their Caribou though. I’m so very sorry you have to pretend to make that coffee if that’s the one, it hasn’t been good in decades and even then it was mediocre. It always tasted just shy of Starbucks burnt.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

they should make whole bean pods for people who like drinking good coffee and generating unnecessary trash

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I like to power my grinder with a diesel generator running on bunker oil

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Speaking of wasteful, my parents in law have a built-in superautomatic Miele. Similar to the one that flummoxed Hoffmann in his superauto comparison vid. It is way more cleanup than other machines - the milk carafe needs to be hand washed each day, the water catch and grounds catch too. I brought good beans as a Christmas gift this year but never got to try them out - they keep both large hoppers filled to the brim with Starbucks charcoal blend.

The foam it makes is hilarious - it violently coughs out the first spurt then steadies out with barely warm, super foamy milk no matter what setting you try.

I don't begrudge their taste preference but it seems a lot of work for something called automatic. Hoffmann is right - it really only makes sense in a corporate office.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Making coffee is way more fun than cleaning so that makes no sense to me either

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I always use Mayorga Cubano Dark Roast. What's something different to try if I want to branch out? Make it in a big pot boiling and filter with a nut milk bag, chill.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 12, 2024

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Lots of Miele stuff is just overpriced garbage. Their washing machines are good though.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

And the vacuums apparently.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Comb Your Beard posted:

I always use Mayorga Cubano Dark Roast. What's something different to try if I want to branch out? Make it in a big pot boiling and filter with a nut milk bag, chill.

How you're making it is already not something people here would do so you might not get a lot of helpful replies if you're married to that method. Generally the more into coffee you are the more of the actual coffee your want to taste so you end up going towards lighter roasts, you could start there. Look up local rosters in your city and try some of it.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

amenenema posted:

And the vacuums apparently.

Nah, I heard they suck.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I've got a, frankly, silly amount of coffee in my checked bag. Flying home from Brazil.

I went mountain biking with the roaster and the grower is a friend of my sister.

This is about the most farm to table coffee experience you can have while living in the Midwestern US

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
the grocery store had a single opus on sale for $50 off so i snatched it up. i'm happy with it in terms of espresso, so far--haven't had to touch the inner ring to get a good shot. retention is kinda wack, but the hopper lid is snug enough to use as a bellows. going to try and dial a V60 cup with it today

speaking of pourover, is there a major difference between the different popular ones? is an origami or kalita wave worth dropping cash on?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Cafe Mathias 4 lyf

:agesilaus:

Sort of. Some (malita) are conical with little holes to restrict flow. Easier to get a bead on extraction due to a somewhat fixed flow.

The v60 or origami have a big ol hole and your grounds (and bypass from the filter) will be a bit more of an important variable.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 12, 2024

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

. i'm happy with it in terms of espresso, so far--haven't had to touch the inner ring to get a good shot.

I haven't seen someone touch the inner ring since 1999.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Comb Your Beard posted:

The Mayorga Cafe Cubano is supposed to be their version of Cafe Bustelo.
I like it OK but when we lived near the Mayorga headquarters in Rockville MD we'd run over there and pick up a bag of the muy macho blend whenever it ran out.

Maybe try bustelo if your looking for something similar and go from there. Or find a cheap moka pot if you want the full bustelo experience.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

the grocery store had a single opus on sale for $50 off so i snatched it up. i'm happy with it in terms of espresso, so far--haven't had to touch the inner ring to get a good shot. retention is kinda wack, but the hopper lid is snug enough to use as a bellows. going to try and dial a V60 cup with it today

speaking of pourover, is there a major difference between the different popular ones? is an origami or kalita wave worth dropping cash on?

When I was first getting into coffee I was very interested in the Wave, but I quickly talked myself out of it due to the (at the time, maybe not so much now, could be wrong) proprietary filter it uses (seems like a similar issue with the Origami). It's smaller than the filters you can buy at the local grocery and so paying for them online or out the rear end locally were really the only options I saw. That could very well not be true anymore (and I'm sure someone else here could chime in) and it might be worth looking into. I remember the Wave was very highly regarded, particularly by Japanese coffee enthusiasts, for its flavor and ease of use, and that was what almost made me pull the trigger. I ended up with a Bee House cone pourover as it was considered less finicky and more forgiving to newer baristas since the flow was slower. I've never had any complaints, honestly. Was cheap and cheerful and has survived multiple moves and years in my care. And the best part, it uses the standard Melitta cone filters that I can buy from my local grocery for very cheap. So, that's my take as something to consider.

If you're already able to wrangle a clean, balanced cup with a V60, you're already killing it, so skill shouldn't really be a concern. Those things certainly take a little getting used to!

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
oh, i can't dial a delicious cup from the v60--it's not disgusting but i tend to get too fast a flow rate and underextract. thanks for the pourover advice! it's a tough method but i'm interested in exploring the options. might pick up a melitta since it costs less than a carton of eggs right now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I also use the beehouse dripper because it uses standard melitta filters. Absolutely zero complaints. Honestly a cheap plastic Melitta cone works just as well.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

oh, i can't dial a delicious cup from the v60--it's not disgusting but i tend to get too fast a flow rate and underextract. thanks for the pourover advice! it's a tough method but i'm interested in exploring the options. might pick up a melitta since it costs less than a carton of eggs right now.

Yeah, I have only had a few goes at the V60 and it's tough. I really planned on getting a glass one eventually and practicing with it, but after diving into espresso, I sorta have focused my attention elsewhere. I'll get around to it one day... Maybe after I get the siphon brewer I've been eyeing... The depths of my depravity have no end.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

What sort of kettle are you using for the pour-over? It can make big difference to the overall result. You CAN make a decent pour-over without a goose-neck kettle, but it will require your technique to be very refined.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Gunder posted:

What sort of kettle are you using for the pour-over? It can make big difference to the overall result. You CAN make a decent pour-over without a goose-neck kettle, but it will require your technique to be very refined.

You can also use a spoon to avoid disrupting the coffee bed!

:eng101:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I’ve been using the Hoffman recipe for a while. And while it can produce a fantastic cup, it’s really inconsistent.

This method from Lance however produced an excellent cup on the first try and I was even like 40 seconds short off the target time for a light roast. Still trying to get the grind right but at least for me this seems to be the one.

https://youtu.be/BG5Tc8MR2_4?si=nRGL8bTdV9uKj-cs

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

You can also use a spoon to avoid disrupting the coffee bed!

:eng101:

You very much want to disrupt the coffee bed. Not doing so leads to under-extraction. The whole point of a good quality goose neck is to allow you to do so in a controlled, repeatable manner.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why doesn't someone make a Blender Bottle but for coffee where you put scalding hot water and grounds in a bottle and shake it and disrupt it vigorously.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Gunder posted:

You very much want to disrupt the coffee bed. Not doing so leads to under-extraction. The whole point of a good quality goose neck is to allow you to do so in a controlled, repeatable manner.

Right. Controlled.

And in that example, he didn't have a goose neck kettle, hence control with a spoon.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Mu Zeta posted:

Why doesn't someone make a Blender Bottle but for coffee where you put scalding hot water and grounds in a bottle and shake it and disrupt it vigorously.

Uhhh

https://youtu.be/NzYVPsX6G6M?si=kS5VCqFI_5l2i944

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

You'd end up with an unpredictable amount of coffee left on the walls of the container not engaging in the brewing, and you'd cool the whole thing extremely quickly by shaking it around, which will lead to worse extraction of whatever grounds are left in the water when you're done shaking it. On top of this you'd need some kind of french-press style grate to seperate the grounds from the drink at the end, and the blender ball would stop you from being able to do that. You'd not be able to just put a filter at the spout because it would clog up with grounds immediately.

e:fb

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Seems like the solution is an Aeropress that you can shake

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Seems like the solution is an Aeropress that you can shake

The Russians used a spoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

anyone have a good playlist of v60 pourover recipes? I have a particular recipe I've been using for a while that my local shop uses, but then someone gave me a chemex over the holidays and I went and watched a few chemex recipes and then went and tried out 4 or 5 more recipes since then.

The thing is... I've not found anyone who does one like my local guy's. I asked him about it, but his English is almost nonexistent, and all I know is that it's basically his original recipe based on stuff he learned in Shanghai. His thing is that he loves fine grind and fast extraction and the flavours from the early part of the extraction, so he'll do two bloom pours at 15 seconds each then pour to 75%, then very cautiously pour the last 25% in the middle once some of the water has filtered through, with minimal agitation. An ideal pour for him is a perfectly conical coffee bed up the sides of the filter rather than the flat bed that Hoffman seems to prize. The theory, from what I've gotten out of him, is he does that to reduce the proportion of bitter late extraction flavours as the water level drops below parts of the coffee bed. He also kills the pour at 2:00 exactly, discarding the rest. A typical proportion for him is 15g/325g, but discarding 50-75g at the end, leaving him much closer to the 15g/250ml that most other recipes call for.

It makes a good cup, but nothing I've found so far works with any similar assumptions. Has anyone seen a v60 recipe that resembles this?

(if you want to try it, when I make it at home, I grind about 20% finer than I would for a typical v60 - 15g coffee: pour at 0 bloom pour to 30g, at 15 bloom pour to 60g, at 30 pour and agitate to 275, at 60 pour gently in the centre to 325, pull it off at 120, and usually top off with a splash of water from the kettle.)