Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

dr_rat posted:

Season 1 animation is rough no doubt, but there's still lots of interesting and very well done shots and compositions and colour use in there. Far prefer that than the sterile animation of the new seasons.

the lumpiness and weird proportions of the character models throws me off. Homers voice was also like a half step deeper until season 4.

You Are A Werewolf posted:

I dislike how modern Simpsons animation has to have or cast shadows on everything. Shadows that make no sense given the light sources, but everything’s gotta have shadows and shading, nonetheless.

And yes, even the shadows/shading are sterile and on-point at all times.

I know nothing about animation but I imagine they do it in 3d space so the perspective is always right, and they probably just have a light source they can place. I know for a fact you can use sprite bill boarding in game engines to cast perfect shadows with 2d objects that way, and it's not super hard to set up. With everything being vectorized they just draw a thing and then put it in the scene and adjust its z depth so it scales correctly. I assume that's why they have so much detail and random stuff in the background. Probably eliminates tons of rework, just draw everything at whatever scale/detail level you want and use it in the scene wherever you like, and it always scales and is perfectly on model.

Just a guess though.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

You Are A Werewolf posted:

I dislike how modern Simpsons animation has to have or cast shadows on everything. Shadows that make no sense given the light sources, but everything’s gotta have shadows and shading, nonetheless.

And yes, even the shadows/shading are sterile and on-point at all times.

It looks like a filter they just apply by selecting an option from a drop down menu. I guess it's probably more complicated than that, but that's what it looks like.

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023

vegetables posted:

I guess this all means Ned Flanders is not actually a good example of Flanderisation because it’s not exactly the case that a single aspect of him is exaggerated over time? It’s more that his character has to fundamentally change to make sense, which is not the same thing

I remember hearing someone say that the term shouldn't be called Flanderisation because people becoming more religiously fanatic as they age is just a thing that happens in real life. Every other character in the Simpsons is a better example of the phenomenon.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Most Power Alex posted:

I remember hearing someone say that the term shouldn't be called Flanderisation because people becoming more religiously fanatic as they age is just a thing that happens in real life. Every other character in the Simpsons is a better example of the phenomenon.

Yeah, it makes sense for a 60-year-old guy like Flanders to be pretty religious.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I remember in religious studies at school watching simpsons because it was a decent exploration of a more religious society (I live in the UK)
Honestly the idea of people being mad that you didn't go to church on a Sunday was insane to me as a kid, just like something out of the distant past

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

On the topic of weird Simpsons inclusions, I've always wondered how dated/realistic Homer's barfly tendencies really were. Growing up I don't think I ever knew anyone who's dad who'd just disappear to bars to 'hang out with the guys'. But I also grew up both in the late 90s/early 00s and on the west coast so I have no idea how common an experience that was.

Also, re: church. I think I knew a grand total of like four or five families who went to church every sunday. Even my parents who both went to religious private schools basically ditched it as soon as they graduated.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Springfield being a small town might also increase the perceived religiosity, because when everyone goes to the same church, everybody knows when somebody is skipping.

Mr Interweb posted:

hmm? what's wrong with that episode?

Goons like to performatively hate cops.

I guess Marge tying back her hair reminds me of the thing that more recent Simpsons does where they keep trying to push back the cartoony nature of the characters in favor of a more parsed regimented realism style, but it's not that much of a violation.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
idk about the barfly habits, but bars were all like that as the show was being made

dingy windowless shitholes with only derelicts

the hipster "return to the dive" hadn't happened yet

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It wasn't faux dive, it was just a dive. :lofty:

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Data Graham posted:

It wasn't faux dive, it was just a dive. :lofty:

let's go to the texas cheesecake depository instead

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
I knew a kid growing up, I later learned from my parents that his dad was always at a certain bar every day. In virginia, all bars have to serve food, so every bar was really a restaurant, and we went there to eat occasionally and he was always there just sitting at the bar drinking by himself.

But other than that I dont think it was very common. I think it was just a way for the writers to have a bar full of regulars in an otherwise family sitcom. Cheers was popular at that time, the simpsons made a couple references to it. There would be no way for barney or moe to be characters without it.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 9, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ishikabibble posted:

On the topic of weird Simpsons inclusions, I've always wondered how dated/realistic Homer's barfly tendencies really were. Growing up I don't think I ever knew anyone who's dad who'd just disappear to bars to 'hang out with the guys'. But I also grew up both in the late 90s/early 00s and on the west coast so I have no idea how common an experience that was.

Felt like more of an Abe Simpson thing.

Anecdote: I identified with Bart a lot because as a child, my Grandmother would drive down to the bar to pick up Gramps, and send me in to get him. When in this dank bar, all the old men would gather and make me sing and dance till he could leave. I dreaded it, but also looked forward to it.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Just randomly came across this scene I had totally forgotten about from season 2 that had me laughing pretty hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOxXzvpyFDg

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 10, 2024

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Data Graham posted:

Bart's math train nightmare with Martin was hella cool and I thought "wow this new show has got it going on"

e: in 1989 the best TV animation any of us had seen was like, Christmas specials from the 70s. Well, and the Disney Afternoon

This is blatant A Pup Named Scooby Doo erasure and I won't stand for it

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The best animation on TV in 1989 was anything TMS Entertainment worked on. That was at about around the time that they were starting to run out of toys to make cartoons for, but there was still enough demand for new cartoons that companies were pumping money into shows without product tie-ins, the commercial value from ads was good enough to justify the expenditure. But it was also before imported anime really hit the mainstream, so Japanese animation companies were still mostly doing overseas work on cartoons for American and French companies, and giving a real bargain.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

ishikabibble posted:

Hometown is a small mining town in northern Aus, and Moes felt perfectly normal- dad would either be at the pub, or he'd take us kids there, and we'd play outside in a nearby park with our mates, while our dads got on the piss inside.

This was back when smoking was allowed indoors, as well as the windows all being shuttered with minimal lighting, so that pub matched Moes for how derro it was. Most pubs these days have shifted to, well, Uncle Moes Family Feedbag. Brughter, and shifted to the food instead of just booze

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

SlothfulCobra posted:

The best animation on TV in 1989 was anything TMS Entertainment worked on.

drat, I was just thinking that Alf: The Animated Series had some really nice fluid animation for a Saturday morning cartoon. A lot of Saturday morning cartoons at the time had a really nice animated theme song/intro with cheaper-looking animation for the main show, but Alf was just as nice looking as the intro. The theme song is a bop, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03_NqJFVEOc

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

HJE-Cobra posted:

This is blatant A Pup Named Scooby Doo erasure and I won't stand for it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*frantically googles looking for mention of Kennedy* Aha

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
peak Simpsons animation is probably season 4 where they have the big pupils AND they're drawn slightly too wide apart, whatever that's called. They all look slightly deranged and it just fits the tone of the show at that time perfectly.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Ror posted:

gen Z: yeah sometimes I watch that fox cartoon that's been running since television started, it's ok

me: that means you haven't known the triumphs and defeats, the epic highs and lows of the simpsons

The other day I was chatting with my cousin and said something like "You're part of the generation that communicates via SpongeBob references, while mine speaks in Simpson quotes". He said "That doesn't seem right, didn't The Simpsons start airing in like the 70's?"

And so I crumbled to dust.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

SpongeBob has also been on the air for decades and sucks now, so we've got that in common

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Which makes me wonder: Detective Conan is now celebrating its 30th anniversary. Has it managed to stay fresh? Or are there fans who accuse it of becoming "Zombie Conan"?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Awesomesaurus posted:

Yeah, that was one of the more relatable aspects of The Simpsons when I watched it as a kid. There were plenty of kids at school I would consider “bullies” one moment, but then the next we were playing games together. Social status didn’t really solidify until middle school.

I distinctly remember fifth grade being the time when the social dynamic changed (not for the better) to more middle school-like at my school.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

When I did a rewatch during lockdown I was surprised early bar stuff was Moe and Barney, and Lenny and Carl were his work friends, but they kept them apart for a few seasons until they had them all together in the bar when they would be at Moes

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
You know you're British when, watching the show as a kid in the '90s, people going to church every week seemed quaint and extremely old-fashioned, but your dad and his mates going to the pub all the time? Yep, relatable!

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Does anyone know if the other two barflies have names?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sneed and chuck I think

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Sam and Larry

great username
Dec 28, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Oh yeah that could be it. It was a great bit anyway.

"Come oooonnnn, leave town!"
"No."
"Come oooooonnn, I'll be your friend!"
"No."
"Oh you're mean."

PatP also has Billy and the Cloneasaurus, which is also an all-timer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik0BPKM9WQg

one of my favorite gags, the time jumps to let us know Apu has really had enough of Skinner's poo poo

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

on the DVD they said their names were Barfly#1 and Barfly#2 but that was 20 years ago so by now I'm sure they both have their own episodes telling their names and backstories

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

doppelgänger

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

you broke my grill posted:

on the DVD they said their names were Barfly#1 and Barfly#2 but that was 20 years ago so by now I'm sure they both have their own episodes telling their names and backstories

Aren't they called Larry and Curly?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

you broke my grill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSJfpMUqKDc

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I remember seeing that they were called Sam and Larry in the 1997 book that covered the first eight seasons. Pretty sure they were never named in the show though.

great username
Dec 28, 2023

Hey everybody! Homer's back!

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Homerpalooza talk a few pages back makes me think of Grandpas "I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was" speech. Which lives rent free in my head every time I see or hear about some tiktok trend I don't understand.

I'm in my mid-late 30's too, just like Homer. :corsair:

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Spalec posted:

Homerpalooza talk a few pages back makes me think of Grandpas "I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was" speech. Which lives rent free in my head every time I see or hear about some tiktok trend I don't understand.

I'm in my mid-late 30's too, just like Homer. :corsair:

Same, but I was never with it to begin with.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Anyone who's "with it" is just being targeted by the current batch of advertising executives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was never with "it" and now I think with the internet fracturing off groups of people into their own niche interests, there may be no "it" to be with anymore.

Which is part of why the Simpsons can't do its old formula of playing off the monoculture because there is no monoculture anymore, no group of current topics everybody is talking about.