Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The three body problem books are horribly written. Just complete dog poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

coathat posted:

I concur. My brother wouldn't stop bothering me to read them like it was the greatest thing ever, I finally read it just to shut him up and was like ehhhh.. I don't mind a bit of hard sci fi sometimes but it would be nice if this book had any, you know, characters.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I won't read the three body problem. It is red china propaganda.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

the milk machine posted:

in honor of bill paxton i just watched Near Dark, which i had never seen

great movie, kathryn bigelow is really good at big macho guy stuff. it feels like james cameron ripped off the big gasoline truck sequence for terminator 2?

even the soundtrack (tangerine dream, very good btw) sounded very t2-y at times.

cameron maybe even stole the "make the scene very dark and blue" thing for t2? he should be investigated for his crimes

anyway Near Dark is very good, five bags of popcorn and a big glass of grape juice that looks like blood

Yeah great movie with big MOOD.

Found Risky Business to be the same way strangely. Also with an iconic Tangerine Dream track

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Alternatively:

coathat posted:

Cookie Cutter posted:

I concur. My brother wouldn't stop bothering me to read them like it was the greatest thing ever, I finally read it just to shut him up and was like ehhhh.. I don't mind a bit of hard sci fi sometimes but it would be nice if this book had any, you know, characters.

Westoid burgers in shambles.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

people should instead read the book of the new sun :cheers:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Part of the strength of early GoT is the dialogue and monologues, and those are lifted entirely from the novels. Once they started to invent there own it went to poo poo.

The biggest problem with them adapting 3BP is that it doesn't have good dialogue to begin with, and whilst it's story is good, the moment to moment of it loving sucks.

This show, bad ending included, is going to be a loving disaster.

Agree with the post as a whole but there are great dialogue scenes in S1 that aren't lifted from the books. Like alot of King Rob's speeches for example.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mordor She Wrote posted:

the best part of napoleon was when he started meowing and stomping his feet at Josephinne so he could gently caress her.

Agreed, hoping the director's cut has more of that stuff

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

people should instead read the book of the new sun :cheers:

i have not read three body problem but this is correct yes

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

all those great battle-of-wits scenes between Arya and Tywin were completely invented for the show too, which lured a lot of GoT readers into a false sense of security that the showrunners would have been able to smoothly transition once they'd run out of book. owned.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

God Hole posted:

all those great battle-of-wits scenes between Arya and Tywin were completely invented for the show too, which lured a lot of GoT readers into a false sense of security that the showrunners would be able to smoothly transition once they'd run out of book. owned.

they got bored after 4 seasons and decided to run that poo poo into the ground and bail instead of the typical hollywood "step into EP role and let someone else do your job for you" move. baffling decision.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

God Hole posted:

all those great battle-of-wits scenes between Arya and Tywin were completely invented for the show too, which lured a lot of GoT readers into a false sense of security that the showrunners would have been able to smoothly transition once they'd run out of book. owned.

Those scenes were so good I've put them into my memory of reading the books, which to be fair I last did years and years ago. Interesting.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

miss him so much rip

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

distressed Spider-Gwen fans are showing up more and more in my social media feeds and it's hard not to agree with them about how the books are being handled. most recent example:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Grey Fox posted:

distressed Spider-Gwen fans are showing up more and more in my social media feeds and it's hard not to agree with them about how the books are being handled. most recent example:

lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

It is red china propaganda.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Cookie Cutter posted:

miss him so much rip

He's doing commercials for Andalusia tourist ministry.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Grey Fox posted:

that is one 90s as hell cover there, in the bad way

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The cultural revolution stuff in 3 body was great, quite evocative and stays with me even today. As for the rest, well it turns out I read the series twice because it made no impression on me. I only realized I’d read it previously when the micro-asteroid hit was being set up.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grey Fox posted:

Is.. is it like a Cronenberg'esq body horror comic? Her anatomy is proper hosed. Why is her head where her shoulder should be, and her right arm coming out of her rib cage... I think? Honestly it's harder to find something that's right than that's wrong with her.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

3BP was very anti cultural revolution and the later books lamented the feminization of "real men"

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
The titular analogy of the middle 3BP book, The Dark Forest, is one of the stupidest things I've ever read. I enjoyed the original but the rest definitely have the contemporary scifi/fantasy problem of "we have a successful start to a series and editing will only slow things down"

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Much like the Watchmen tv show I'm convinced that most of the popularity of 3BP comes not from the actual contents of the books but because they made a lot of people aware of a real world crime they hadn't previously been exposed too.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Grey Fox posted:

you jack off to this op

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Grey Fox posted:

I mean, butt aside, she does in fact look like a terrifying monster here

I feel like this is literally a pose you would draw someone in to show they had been possessed by a demon or an alien or something

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

Much like the Watchmen tv show I'm convinced that most of the popularity of 3BP comes not from the actual contents of the books but because they made a lot of people aware of a real world crime they hadn't previously been exposed too.

My impression of the Watchmen show is that it would have been better as a Wikipedia link

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Grey Fox posted:

lmao. she's got an eyebrow cut, is this new art?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

you jack off to this op

projection

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

I mean, butt aside, she does in fact look like a terrifying monster here

I feel like this is literally a pose you would draw someone in to show they had been possessed by a demon or an alien or something

Being an actual spider-human hybrid would probably be super hosed up so maybe the anatomy is just accurate

Is there a Spider-Man equivalent to how Batman has Man-Bat?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Being an actual spider-human hybrid would probably be super hosed up so maybe the anatomy is just accurate

there was an episode of the Spider-Man animated show in the 90s where the Radioactive Spider DNA in Peter Parker's blood stream started rapidly mutating and caused him to become more spider-like and it was hosed UP

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whblM3lN0Bs

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I know this one! I remember Doppelganger because he was in a video game in the 90s

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

That's just what spider bodies look like, stop shaming her

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/PenguinHuddleUK/status/1745093574973141176

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Grey Fox posted:

What in the world :staredog:

Which series is that from?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

dont quote me you transphobe weirdo

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
once again dipping into Portals To Hell with Jack Osborne. every episode ends with Jack saying "is this place a Portal To Hell? it depends on your perspective" never declarative statements. what is your perspective, Jack? you are supposed to have some kind of opinion on this, you are the one looking for Portals To Hell!!!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Katrina and Jack have started telling the people that run these ghost tours that they possess psychic abilities and that's why they're able to hear and see ghosts. Jack's sister Kelly also possesses some psychic abilities.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Grey Fox posted:

Reverse Google searched it. The cover artists is named anton tarelove, they do real alt covers for books, and all the women on the covers look like this. Lots of eyebrow shaves too

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

After listening to that still not quite sure what Keanu's bring to the table with the partnership, but China Miéville cool, and glad Keanu's happy doing poo poo he loves.

Dude just does seem to love his sci-fi/fantasy stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Grey Fox posted:

too many shoelace eyelets and her left thigh appears fused to her pelvis. probably what is happening here is she utilizes her hands and right foot for locomotion and the left leg is for voldo-type donkey kicks. it seems disturbing at first but kudos to the creative team for centering characters with "disabilities"