Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Anyone have any resources they'd recommend for complete noobs? I'm a MW2 DMZ refugee trying to learn the game. I played a few practice matches and it seems like everything I liked about DMZ cranked up a bunch.

What kind of babby's first game loop should beginners be worried about? I'm just looking for general guidance about what to focus on for my first few dozen games. Should I try to focus on doing quests? Is there anything I can do to level up skills faster? I assume I should expect to get poo poo on every game and not to get too frustrated if I have an abysmal extraction rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
start off by getting off the map alive

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

ROFLburger posted:

What kind of babby's first game loop should beginners be worried about? I'm just looking for general guidance about what to focus on for my first few dozen games. Should I try to focus on doing quests? Is there anything I can do to level up skills faster? I assume I should expect to get poo poo on every game and not to get too frustrated if I have an abysmal extraction rate.

Biggest thing is find a friend who knows the game to carry you and tell you where to go for a bit until you get your bearings. The goon discord seems pretty friendly and if you’re coming from another similar game you probably know some other people who play too.

Quests are pretty important and should usually be your main objective but don’t over commit to them if it’s not working out. Sometimes you just get a bad spawn/extract or something else puts you out of position for wherever the quest wants you to go and it may be better to just try to do something else and go next.

Your hideout is also important - it gives small passive buffs to skill leveling and unlocks various crafting stations. Crafted items count as “found in raid” and are eligible for quest turn ins so it’s often a quick way to make progress there.

Don’t get discouraged when you get owned not only often, but very early into raids. Map and spawn knowledge is super important and without it it will probably feel like there’s a bunch of times where you get deleted 30 seconds out of your spawn because you didn’t know that “oh this spawn on this map is sandwiched between two other potential spawns and I just ran into one.”

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Herstory Begins Now posted:

start off by getting off the map alive

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

ROFLburger posted:

Anyone have any resources they'd recommend for complete noobs? I'm a MW2 DMZ refugee trying to learn the game. I played a few practice matches and it seems like everything I liked about DMZ cranked up a bunch.

Your first wipe will probably be more about learning the maps than anything. Quests are the main way you'll unlock better stuff to buy, so you should do them, but realistically you probably won't get very far into them this go around. Figuring out how the maps 'flow', meaning spawns, routes, and extracts will help you plan out your quests and also survive in general.

There are some hideout upgrades related to skill gain, but you shouldn't waste time trying to grind skills up in matches. Quick ways of doing this have been nerfed into the ground and your natural skill gain is plenty. The exception to this is the Sniper Rifle skill which you need to get to a certain level for a quest, but there's no need to worry about that until you get there.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Are there any maps that I might want to play more often than others?

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
A lot of your first quests will be on Customs, Woods, and Factory. The loot on those maps isn't super stellar but still more than enough to sustain you. It's mostly a preference thing beyond that.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
it's fun as a newer player to learn one of the newer maps (eg streets or ground zero) because those are the maps where your map knowledge disadvantage is comparably the smallest. on one of the og maps like customs the map knowledge discrepancy is almost insurmountable. like not literally so, but it will take so long that it's not even worth worrying about.

if your pc can run streets well, you can learn that map better than 90% of the playerbase by just playing it regularly for a wipe

woods is a fairly popular map to learn the game on because there's so many ways to disengage and/or flank with how open it is. Really just play whatever map you're having fun on. learn a rudimentary loot route on one of them and you'll be able to fund everything else you want to do.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 11, 2024

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

ROFLburger posted:

I'm new as well! Definitely throw in some scav runs when you can. Enable voice (might have to remap the push to talk key) and you may find some friendly player scavs who you can team up with. Look for PMC corpses and equip their backpack to carry out more loot, then extract to transfer it all to your vault. Make sure you have some inventory slots set aside before going in - can stack backpacks to free up a lot of space.

If you have a quest in a hot zone and are worried about losing your best gear, just go in with a shotgun & slugs (and some meds in your pouch of course) with the intention of killing a scav for their kit. I have done this a couple times and was killed by a player within 30 seconds.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Ctrl-click to pick things up in your inventory, alt-click to put things on your character if the slot is open, and hover something and press DEL to drop it. Always try to loot as fast as you can. When you loot a body in the open, drop your bag somewhere safe and take their rig and put it in their bag and go search it somewhere safe

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Ya I’m new too, and I have been watching Pestilys raid series and it’s really great: https://youtu.be/Ayjzvx5c5GA?si=mlgCJ9NTBirmOVgw

I started out playing with a group of friends, but I didn’t start really learning maps until I bit the bullet and started doing some solo raids. I play lots of Streets which can be super lucrative, or super brutal depending on the day. When I play streets I mostly just try to get a bag full of loot and try to focus on extracting alive. Woods is also really good, especially because once you learn it a bit you can path in a way that mostly avoids players.

Customs is also the main map I’ve been playing. I hated it at first it felt like player encounters early were unavoidable, sometimes that’s true but I’ve gotten much better at it.

I’ve had the game about 9 days now and already feel a world of difference from the first couple days, but I also still feel like a huge noob with so much to learn. Tarkov has lots of insanely frustrating things about it, but I’ve been having a lot of fun. It’s good to have a group to play with when solo gets too brutal.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i recommend rebinding the drop item key to something more accessible (I use X) because it's something you'll use a lot and can make the difference between life and death when you greedily try to grab that kit sitting out in the middle of a field.

also you should basically never drag and drop to loot things while in raid. it's always faster to ctrl/alt-click and sort it out later from safety if you absolutely need that flashbang in your backpack and not your rig.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

My noob advice is simple: map knowledge is the most important thing to develop by far, run your scav every chance you get, and do not watch streamers or youtubers for anything but entertainment.

Tell yourself this a lot: You will not learn anything significant by watching or reading, only by playing.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

scavving is extremely fun (especially now that most unmodified weapons are more viable), profitable, confidence boosting (because no stakes + you'll often die less as an new player due to other scavs being non-hostile/reduction in active PMCs by the time you join), you should do it as much as possible, and it'll 100% help you gain map knowledge - the one (important) caveat for a new player is that it doesn't really teach you how a map flows as a PMC because scavs join well after the initial spawn fights/people have rushed the most premium loot/PMCs have moved around the map

so you'll know where to go, but exercise a bit of caution when applying that experience because there are definitely some spots that need to be approached very differently on spawn vs. midway through a raid, and you can end up having a few rough runs while figuring things out if your knowledge of a map mostly comes from scavving vs. playing PMC (or vice versa, but scavs are lower stakes so v0v)

LGD fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 11, 2024

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

The wiki for tarkov is a pretty good resource for obscure mechanics. Tarkov-market is also nice, it's for gauging market prices, so if you wanna get a good idea of what a thing costs while in a raid and have a moment+place to look that up, you can. It also provides a wiki link so you can see if you might need that particular item later on for a quest.

MuffinsAndPie fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 11, 2024

Aexo
May 16, 2007
https://www.eft-ammo.com/ to tell what's good and trash ammo

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

ROFLburger posted:

Are there any maps that I might want to play more often than others?

With this wipe, the new ground zero map is where your going to spend alot of time. it will also be a good map to learn since after level 25 on your PMC you can't return to it.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
I thought it was 20? And might eventually have a queue for those that go over whichever cap it is.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

man, gently caress shoreline

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

BrotherJayne posted:

man, gently caress shoreline

:hmmyes:

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I've still never been to shoreline..

I know ground zero a decent amount, customs, streets and woods so far, I've half a clue about interchange too.

They're all so bloody big.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Shoreline has felt at least quite a bit improved with their expansion and changes, when I get Shorelined really hard it's usually in the first five minutes of being alive, and if I make it that long it's been pretty good. There's a lot more cover and stuff to move along. It still seems silly to spawn at the lighthouse exit and be able to immediately leave, though.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Mischievous Mink posted:

Shoreline has felt at least quite a bit improved with their expansion and changes, when I get Shorelined really hard it's usually in the first five minutes of being alive, and if I make it that long it's been pretty good. There's a lot more cover and stuff to move along. It still seems silly to spawn at the lighthouse exit and be able to immediately leave, though.

Shoreline is basically the map version of the “mfw I’m reaping/sowing” meme. It’s very fun when you’re the dude killing people at a choke or pushing out of their spawn, and the map plays way better when you go out of your way to do so, but very unfun when the same exact thing happens to you.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 12, 2024

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Shoreline needs to be totally redesigned, with a lot more areas added, and the resort needs to be split off into its own Factory sized map

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Shoreline needs to be totally redesigned, with a lot more areas added, and the resort needs to be split off into its own Factory sized map

The current redesign was a huge improvement at least, as well as the additional areas added.
If they would only spread out the quests more as well and spread out Resort so its not so cramped.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Shoreline is way too big to be a “survive spawn = boring raid” map imo. Then the only hot spot is a slaughterhouse. Shoreline and Interchange are tops on the list of maps I only go to for quests

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I like shoreline, but I basically never go to resort and I just wander around in mostly empty areas hitting caches and stuff

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

LazyMaybe posted:

I like shoreline, but I basically never go to resort and I just wander around in mostly empty areas hitting caches and stuff

That is what I do too when I really need to make money, go in as PMC or scav with a good backpack, there is enough caches that very rarely they are all hit, even the most common ones

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scav matching is fuuuuuucked at this hour in US West. Spent 25 minutes in queue before getting kicked out with no loss.

I coulda died like, four times as a PMC in that time!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Interchange I hate because there are so many fellow rats that just camp in blind spots and leg you to death. That map has my lowest survival rates.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Scav matching is fuuuuuucked at this hour in US West. Spent 25 minutes in queue before getting kicked out with no loss.

I coulda died like, four times as a PMC in that time!

this just happens sometimes. if you spend more than like five mins matching just alt+f4 and reopen the game and abandon the raid. just seems to be bugged occasionally

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

Interchange I hate because there are so many fellow rats that just camp in blind spots and leg you to death. That map has my lowest survival rates.

it's my least favorite map to play that I actually think is good and really well designed because I always feel like I'm going to die at any second from all directions.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

My game stalls hard when I have lighthouse quests. Woof to that map.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
shoreline would be a much better map if you got rid of all the 'spot green camo guy on green foliage background' parts of it, of which it is one of the worst offenders in the game

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I don’t know who needs to read this but I just fixed a tarkov bug that’s been plaguing me for weeks. I have a pretty decent PC, despite this after every raid my game would freeze for 30 seconds before letting me navigate menus. Turns out having a disconnected network drive caused this problem. Removed the network drive and boom problem is gone.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

shoreline would be a much better map if you got rid of all the 'spot green camo guy on green foliage background' parts of it, of which it is one of the worst offenders in the game

The snow solves much of this.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Lol man.. Went to interchange for like the second time ever to try and get the quests done to scout the stores etc, spawned in Scav Camp.. Immediately had to fight a duo, wound up winning. Was hiding healing and reloading my mags when two scavs come up, more healing/loading, more scavs, etc. Looked in the distance down the road and saw a group of 3 scavs sprinting directly toward me lmao.

Ended up sprinting out of there but i was so low on resources I decided to try and get to Emercom extract and not even go into the mall. Went through the parking garage and the fields all the way around, found a secret stash on the way, by the time I was near the exit I had a bag full of loot and was feeling pretty happy. Of course, about 75 meters away from freedom, i get gunned down by some jackass extract camper.

I have had a rough couple of days of tarkov, really feeling the lows of this game lol

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 16, 2024

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Tetramin posted:

Lol man.. Went to interchange for like the second time ever to try and get the quests done to scout the stores etc, spawned in Scav Camp.. Immediately had to fight a duo, wound up winning. Was hiding healing and reloading my mags when two scavs come up, more healing/loading, more scavs, etc. Looked in the distance down the road and saw a group of 3 scavs sprinting directly toward me lmao.

Ended up sprinting out of there but i was so low on resources I decided to try and get to Emercom extract and not even go into the mall. Went through the parking garage and the fields all the way around, found a secret stash on the way, by the time I was near the exit I had a bag full of loot and was feeling pretty happy. Of course, about 75 meters away from freedom, i get gunned down by some jackass extract camper.

I never go to Emercom, even when scaving, The #11SR keycard is def worth the investment as a PMC.

Tetramin posted:

I have had a rough couple of days of tarkov, really feeling the lows of this game lol

Ah, but the highs...

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

what do i do if i lose the weapons that came with my account? i thought i could just buy new ones with the money i have in my stash but it looks like you have to trade poo poo to the vendors in addition to money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

ROFLburger posted:

what do i do if i lose the weapons that came with my account? i thought i could just buy new ones with the money i have in my stash but it looks like you have to trade poo poo to the vendors in addition to money?
The No Money option: Run a Scav, extract, and use the Scav gear for your next PMC run
The Money option: buy (and mod*) one of the available trader weapons
The Comedy option: go to escapefromtarkov.com and reset your account for a fresh start

Note the arrow icon on the right gun? That's for trading. There are multiple guns you can just buy with money though.

*for proper weapon modding you need to build the Workbench in your hideout. You can still mod guns without it but you have to know which parts to pick and where to put them for that.

Both guns built with level 1 traders without Jäger

If you right click a weapon part and pick Linked Search you get a list of all the weapons and other parts this particular item works with, and if you right click -> Inspect you get a handy "Compatible with available" section to see which gun in your stash works with that particular part.

This may seem complicated but it does get easier after a while

giZm fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 17, 2024