Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
gwen stacy is in the middle of a voldo roll down the sidew of that building. i'd be smiling too if I could pull that off in those pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I'm on "Death's End" and like the books, but if we're making GBS threads on things in 3BP:
-Take a shot every time the translated version starts a sentence with "Thus,..."
-The govts and organizations in 3BP are hypercompetent and obsessed with rules, and if you break a rule you are swiftly brought to justice without any concern for power, resources, or political influence. It's one of the most ridiculous things you have to just believe for the story.
-Governments also uphold private property as the ultimate right and don't just seize something the second they think it could be useful. This is the second most ridiculous thing and the author just states it plainly.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

3BP owns

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

i tried a few times but couldnd't get past the part where everyone turns into jerky. dry prose indeed

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

loquacius posted:

I know this one! I remember Doppelganger because he was in a video game in the 90s

MAXIMUM CARNAGE

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

drat horror queefs posted:

A common online theory is that he murdered his wife. I don't really remember why though

I hear this a lot but only from right wing weirdos with a grudge.

then again, there's that photo of Patton with A Wyatt Mann with which to contend...

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

people should instead read the book of the new sun :cheers:

severian ftw

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

there used to be a copy of To Live and Die in LA on archive but I couldn't find the movie and this was suggested instead, never heard of it

https://archive.org/details/capture-a-3410

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cXQET-aWnY

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

I've watched Jo Koy's stuff before. He's fine but lmao at having him host something that's mixed company or mass market. Dude is the Paul Mooney of balik bayans and America ain't ready for that.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

loquacius posted:

I mean, butt aside, she does in fact look like a terrifying monster here

I feel like this is literally a pose you would draw someone in to show they had been possessed by a demon or an alien or something
or a gwendlespider

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Speaking of China Mieville being good, I checked on how that adaption on The City And The City was coming along and it’s out on Freevee. Anyone watch?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

I may see Ghostbusters, GvK, Furiosa, ballerina, Deadpool, beetlejuice, joker, and venom.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

theres a Borderlands movie? what the gently caress lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gently caress!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

theres a Borderlands movie? what the gently caress lol

directed by eli roth and starring:

Cate Blanchett
Kevin Hart
Jack Black
Bobby Lee
Édgar Ramírez
Ariana Greenblatt
Florian Munteanu
Gina Gershon
Jamie Lee Curtis

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

loquacius posted:

I mean, butt aside, she does in fact look like a terrifying monster here

I feel like this is literally a pose you would draw someone in to show they had been possessed by a demon or an alien or something

possessed by the " spider totem "

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Cate Blanchett
Kevin Hart
Jack Black
Bobby Lee
Édgar Ramírez
Ariana Greenblatt
Florian Munteanu
Gina Gershon
Jamie Lee Curtis

featuring benoit blanc

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Cate Blanchett
Kevin Hart
Jack Black
Bobby Lee
Édgar Ramírez
Ariana Greenblatt
Florian Munteanu
Gina Gershon
Jamie Lee Curtis

what in tarnation

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Cate Blanchett
Kevin Hart
Jack Black
Bobby Lee
Édgar Ramírez
Ariana Greenblatt
Florian Munteanu
Gina Gershon
Jamie Lee Curtis

im glad elis wife left him

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

filming took place all the way back in 2021 and they didn’t do reshoots until 2023

it’s gonna be messy as hell

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i only played a borderlands for a little while back in the day until it got way too stupid (maybe an hour). all i remember is a robot talking at me like joss whedon

does borderlands have a story?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

yea and it’s dumb even by game standards.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

im glad elis wife left him

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The news of Our Flag Means Death’s cancellation adds the action-adventure TV series to the increasingly long list of LGBTQ+ inclusive TV shows recently canceled, letting it fall in line with a trend greatly impacting LGBTQ+ representation. Created by David Jenkins, Our Flag Means Death season 1 was quickly praised for its positive LGBTQ+ representation after it first debuted on HBO Max. Releasing on Max in the Fall of 2023, Our Flag Means Death season 2 continued many of the heartwarmingly weird storylines that characterized season 1, contributing even more positive LGBTQ+ representation and concluding some characters’ poignant storylines left incomplete after season 1.

The state of LGBTQ+ representation in TV shows has often been discussed, but none meticulously categorized and analyzed the numbers providing a clear, data-based picture of LGBTQ+ representation year by year as GLAAD’s annual report Where We Are On TV did since the 2005/2006 TV season. GLAAD’s annual report saw LGBTQ+ representation consistently rise since its inception, despite the 2020 and the 2023 reports showing a prominent decrease of LGBTQ+ characters among series regulars and recurring characters in TV shows airing in the US. Our Flag Means Death’s cancellation stopping yet another positive LGBTQ+ representation instance thus inevitably becomes part of a bigger disheartening trend concerning queer representation on TV.

LGBTQ+ representation in Our Flag Means Death reached towering highs because of its many multifaceted characters. With their evident queerness being an important part of their stories, the adventure period drama proved truly representative by showing a group of very different LGBTQ+ characters whose stories had something to say instead of being there to fill a quota. By providing a pool of easily identifiable characters with storylines of their own still at the center of the plot, Our Flag Means Death distanced itself early on from the various TV shows implementing common queerbaiting tropes only to appear progressive without providing actual LGBTQ+ representation.

While the central relationship between Stede “the gentleman pirate” Bonnet and Ed “Blackbeard” Teach revealed itself as romantic only towards Our Flag Means Death season 1’s ending, the show’s positive, non-stereotypical LGBTQ+ representation was front and center since the series premiere. In its diversified LGBTQ+ representation, Our Flag Means Death even included one nonbinary character whose identity was central to one storyline with Jim, which is still incredibly rare based on GLAAD’s 2023 report highlighting the existence of only six nonbinary characters in TV shows.

There are more LGBTQ+ characters in stories than ever before, but despite such progress, queer representation in media is just as important as ever.
The variety and centrality of LGBTQ+ relationships and identities in Our Flag Means Death made it one of a kind in the current TV landscape. Its inclusivity and representation going hand in hand contributed to creating a diverse and fun TV show loosely based on real 18th–century pirates. This made Our Flag Means Death stand out for its LGBTQ+ representation, but also because of how fresh and different it appeared compared to other pirate-centered stories appearing on the small screen or big. Considering all the variegated, genuine LGBTQ+ characters it introduced, Our Flag Means Death’s cancellation cannot avoid being a blow to LGBTQ+ representation in TV shows as a whole.

The cancellation of LGBTQ+-centric TV shows has long been noticed by audiences and fans, but data from GLAAD’s 2023 Where We Are On TV also supports said perception. The report showed how nine LGBTQ+ inclusive TV shows were canceled on broadcast, 15 on cable, and 30 on streaming of the TV shows premiering a season in the period from June 2022 to May 2023. GLAAD’s 2023 report thus highlighted how 140 LGBTQ+ characters and 54 LGBTQ+ inclusive series would not have returned the following year due to cancellations, essentially making disappear 24 percent of all the LGBTQ+ characters part of GLAAD’s 2023 tally.

LGBTQ+-centric TV shows canceled in 2023 followed the cancelation pattern made almost routine by the advent of streaming platforms, which made it more common for TV shows to be canceled after one or two seasons instead of longer runs. Our Flag Means Death’s cancellation unfortunately follows the same pattern, as it is only the latest in a long string of LGBTQ+ inclusive TV shows canceled, most of whose wings were clipped after just one season, like First Kill and Disney+’s Willow, or two, like the popular Netflix fantasy drama Warrior Nun or Max’s Gossip Girl reboot.

Warrior Nun’s cancelation prompted a fan campaign to save the show, which won Warrior Nun’s return in a film trilogy, but it’s not entirely clear whether the films will keep the show’s essence alive due to many of the TV creatives not returning for the films, marking the ending of the TV show as it was known.

With the cancellation pattern being attributed to the streaming platforms’ introduction of binge-viewing as a widespread method of TV consumption, streamers seemingly have a hand in TV shows lasting fewer seasons. This should make them part of the solution, especially if LGBTQ+ inclusive TV shows are the ones suffering disproportionally from cancellations. Out of 105 TV shows canceled in 2023, more than half included LGBTQ+ representation. If GLAAD’s 2023 report’s data about 54 LGBTQ+ inclusive TV shows being canceled were to be considered despite it including only cancellations up to May 2023, it would still show that of all TV shows canceled, 51 percent had LGBTQ+ characters, disproportionately affecting them.

That one of the most glorious examples of positive LGBTQ+ representation like Our Flag Means Death must suffer cancellation just like many TV series before it shows that a solution must be found for the disappointing cancellation trend. Otherwise, it will matter less how many more TV shows with positive LGBTQ+ representation are made, if in one or two seasons they end up axed nonetheless.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
max cancelled Warrior which also had a gay secondary(almost main)character in a majority Asian cast. probably could have wrapped it up with one more season.

I watched Bookie on max and it’s not good.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

1. mater is a knight?
2. the cars have a queen/king?

the cars franchise raises a lot of very uncomfortable implications in its lore, such as a cars holocaust

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my kids watched Bee Movie yesterday and every time I walked into the room it was some new horrific bullshit. what even is that movie.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my kids watched Bee Movie yesterday and every time I walked into the room it was some new horrific bullshit. what even is that movie.

my favorite part is when they compare the honey industry to the Holocaust

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

in the cars universe, there was a cars slave trade. a car jesus christ was nailed (bolted?) to a cross. some sort of even more hosed up vehicle died millions of years ago in an asteroid impact

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

there was definitely a car WW2 which implies the existence of a car Hitler and a car Holocaust

No word on Car 9/11 I don't think, since the first movie was made after the towers fell IRL

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

stokely car-michael

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
AM I NOT A CAR AND A BROTHER?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

kwame 'gran' ture-smo

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

my favorite part is when they compare the honey industry to the Holocaust

they're right

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

AM I NOT A CAR AND A BROTHER?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

tristeham posted:

they're right

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

tristeham posted:

they're right

did i say they weren't

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

theres planes in the cars universe but theyre anthropomorphic. do the cars ride inside the planes? would cars 9/11 just be a pair of single, living airliners crashing into the world trade center or a living airliner full of cars? are there trains? did chinese migrant cars get exploited to build railways in california in the 1800s for living trains? are the trains subservient to cars, or vice versa?

disney opened a can of worms here...

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

RandolphCarter posted:

yea and it’s dumb even by game standards.

Borderlands has the worst writing of any AAA gaming franchise, its almost impressive how bad and grating it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

There's a brief appearance by a train in the first cars film