Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Stereo gang rise up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I don’t want to beat a dead horse, but apparently LPCM for Apple TV uses MAT 2.0, which adds the spatial information to the PCM stream as an extra (9th) channel.

Your AVR would need to support this for you to have full spatial processing, so you'll need to check the specifications of your unidentified AV processor. If it isn't supported, you fall back to traditional 7.1 surround sound.

Audio formats give me a headache.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 11, 2024

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Matt Zerella posted:

Stereo gang rise up.

:yeah:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can’t tell the difference between a good MP3 or FLAC, so I’ve decided I don’t care a huge amount about what my ATV kicks out.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The shield is just kind of unpleasant to use. Even with a custom launcher it feels laggy. I keep it around for when I want weird sideload type bullshit but the ATV experience just feels a lot higher end to me. I only have a 3.1 setup so all this audio format stuff is lost on me.

Anyone have a VPN they recommend with an ATV client?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Well Played Mauer posted:

My main beef with ATV and Plex is I notice audio sync issues in the Plex app especially in 4K, but infuse handles it better and also makes it easier to adjust delays. The Shield doesn’t seem to have the same problem so I usually use it for watching Plex and then the ATV for everything else.

Did you try something l like for your sync issue between ATV and Plex

quote:

Go to Settings > Video and Audio > Match Content, then choose from the following:

Match Dynamic Range: Turn on to have Apple TV 4K match its output to the original dynamic range of content that you're watching.

• Match Frame Rate: Turn on to have Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD match its refresh rate to the original frame rate of content. This applies to content that's mastered at different frame rates for example, 24fps film-based content or other international content."

If you turn on either of these settings, Apple TV will attempt to automatically determine which dynamic ranges or frame rates your television supports. You might experience a blank screen or flickering as your television switches between formats.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

Stereo gang rise up.

You only have 2 ears! Dumb audiophiles :rolleyes:

EL BROMANCE posted:

I can’t tell the difference between a good MP3 or FLAC, so I’ve decided I don’t care a huge amount about what my ATV kicks out.

A modern 192 MP3 is indistinguishable from lossless for 99.99% of people. I just blindly get everything at 320 now and call it good.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Takes No Damage posted:

You only have 2 ears! Dumb audiophiles :rolleyes:

Complex home theatre setups are cool because on movie night with your spouse you can start the movie, and then two minutes in you can pause it and turn to them and say "does it sound right to you? are you hearing anything coming out of the rears?" and then they go "it sounds fine to me, i don't know what you're talking about" and then you go "hang on, one sec" and you walk over to the rears and then you start the movie again and you're not hearing anything and then you pause it and you go "gently caress it's not working right hold on" and you start going into the plex settings to see if it's outputting the right signal and then you pull out your phone to look up how to show the diagnostic screen on your AVR settings and your spouse says "it honestly sounds fine to me, let's just watch it" but you spent thousands of dollars on all this stuff and you secretly like loving around with it more than you like watching movies anyways and in the end you say "hang on i need to go see if i can find a different release of this, it should only take about 15 minutes" and your spouse ends up watching Love is Blind on their laptop

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Someday I'll have the space to put a couple good stereo speakers up next to the TV instead of using a soundbar that takes one of my only two 4k hdr hdmi ports since it's also ARC and the soundbar can't actually passthrough 4k hdr since it's not the right hdmi spec.

Was very weird seeing plex on the shield tv freak out about that since it would just black screen a video or try to transcode it and fail since I've never been able to get plex to transcode a 4k hdr thing ever. Definitely try to avoid transcoding at all nowadays.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

EVIL Gibson posted:

Did you try something l like for your sync issue between ATV and Plex

I also experience sync issues with 4k content, and have tried all these settings, as well asswitching the player in the plex app. The plex forums have several years-old threads on the issue, and it seems to affect only some people for some nebulous reasons.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

prom candy posted:

Complex home theatre setups are cool because on movie night with your spouse you can start the movie, and then two minutes in you can pause it and turn to them and say "does it sound right to you? are you hearing anything coming out of the rears?" and then they go "it sounds fine to me, i don't know what you're talking about" and then you go "hang on, one sec" and you walk over to the rears and then you start the movie again and you're not hearing anything and then you pause it and you go "gently caress it's not working right hold on" and you start going into the plex settings to see if it's outputting the right signal and then you pull out your phone to look up how to show the diagnostic screen on your AVR settings and your spouse says "it honestly sounds fine to me, let's just watch it" but you spent thousands of dollars on all this stuff and you secretly like loving around with it more than you like watching movies anyways and in the end you say "hang on i need to go see if i can find a different release of this, it should only take about 15 minutes" and your spouse ends up watching Love is Blind on their laptop

Realest post I've seen in a while.

I'll add a .1 when im not living in an apartment but I'm stereo for life baby. Maybe I'll also upgrade to floor standers but who knows.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

prom candy posted:

:negative:

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

prom candy posted:

GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

prom candy posted:

Same but scaling settings on my framemeister when watching laserdiscs

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

prom candy posted:

How much did my wife pay you to post this?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

prom candy posted:

Please don't doxx me, but also add in stopping every 5 minutes because of a kid interrupting.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

prom candy posted:

This is me except when Survivor scene rips have giant subtitle fonts.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
I tried out Jellyfin by firing up a Docker container and pointing at my existing libraries. Is the web UI supposed to be SUPER slow? This is on my Synology, so not the beefiest of machines, but everything takes forever. Example, browsing to a TV show and hitting the triple button "more" to do some editing takes ~30 seconds to open the menu.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

gariig posted:

I tried out Jellyfin by firing up a Docker container and pointing at my existing libraries. Is the web UI supposed to be SUPER slow? This is on my Synology, so not the beefiest of machines, but everything takes forever. Example, browsing to a TV show and hitting the triple button "more" to do some editing takes ~30 seconds to open the menu.

I noticed this when I first installed it and then forgot about playing with it for a couple of days and it was fine. I'm thinking it's probably busy downloading metadata or something for your libraries.

I have noticed that when it's "doing other stuff" it can get really drat slow. It just doesn't handle this as gracefully as plex.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

For people having issues with plex and ATV try infuse

Also I had some super nice custom-built speakers and a full receiver setup, but I got rid of them after I had a kiddo and lost the desire to janitor the setup and worry about the speakers falling over. I have 2 OG homepods in eARC mode and they work perfectly fine. Welp cya.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Corb3t posted:

This is me except when Survivor scene rips have giant subtitle fonts.

*Somebody speaks in a foreign language for 2 seconds*
Me: Should I know what he's saying? There's no subtitle....
...a minute goes by and there is very much a conversation going on I should understand...
Me: GODDAMMIT

(similarly this also recently led to me having to go on subscene to grab forced English subtitles from a different release and then retime them by hand because I was not going to watch a movie partially in English with everything everyone says subtitled, and not just the Foreign language elements)

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

kri kri posted:

For people having issues with plex and ATV try infuse

Also I had some super nice custom-built speakers and a full receiver setup, but I got rid of them after I had a kiddo and lost the desire to janitor the setup and worry about the speakers falling over. I have 2 OG homepods in eARC mode and they work perfectly fine. Welp cya.

Great thing about Infuse is they're finally adding direct library mode for Plex/Jellyfin/Emby so it isn't constantly saving/refreshing metadata and your watch history syncs up if you do ever use their apps. Its in their TestFlight beta - I think you can sign up for free as an Infuse Pro subscriber. Well worth the $10 a year, especially after Plex cut a bunch of their staff and are slower to roll out stuff on iOS (grumble).

EL BROMANCE posted:

...a minute goes by and there is very much a conversation going on I should understand...

(similarly this also recently led to me having to go on subscene to grab forced English subtitles from a different release and then retime them by hand because I was not going to watch a movie partially in English with everything everyone says subtitled, and not just the Foreign language elements)

Bazarr is another great Plex companion app to have running on your server. You can link up an OpenSubtitles and Subscene account to automatically pull down subtitles as they get added to your library.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 11, 2024

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

prom candy posted:

Can we make this the thread title?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

prom candy posted:

hell yeah brother

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Plex doesn't support Dolby Vision?

e: nevermind, works on HTPC Plex

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 12, 2024

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Plex doesn't support Dolby Vision?

e: nevermind, works on HTPC Plex

This is a device thing not a Plex thing yea

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is that why some of my stuff was purple for no drat reason?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Warbird posted:

I've had that happen when my TV couldn't figure out that something was in HDR - or that it wasn't and trying to display it in HDR....I forget which direction. These same files worked fine in a browser/tablet/non-HDR capable TV.

My solution was deleting those linux ISOs and downloading different versions.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Warbird posted:

One thing I have come across with this is when the HDR or DV doesnt show up properly, check your audio settings. if the AAC stutter workaround is checked, some of the audio gets transcoded and fucks up the direct play for the video for some reason. I unchecked that box and some of my HDR/DV videos played perfect after that.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Green/Purple video is usually from files that only support Dolby Vision and don't have any HDR fallback.

Web services that support these formats don't send you both. If your client supports DV, they send you the DV version. If it supports HDR, they send you that version. If your setup doesn't support HDR at all, you get the SDR version.

Blu Rays have DV and can fall back to HDR/SDR, but they use a different profile of Dolby Vision than the web services do, and since most web streaming boxes aren't Blu Ray players they don't bother to support this format.

MKV files can now support DV with HDR fallback fairly reliably, but it's still kind of a mess and means people making the files with fallback are mixing together data from multiple sources so it all still is kind of a mess. Playback of DV will only work if everything is supported 100%, so as derk posted if transcode happens at all for any reason like audio transcode or subtitles being burned in DV won't work.

-Any and all information in this post is potentially completely wrong

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo
About the sync issues before, is it immediate sync issues or over time it becomes worse?

I've had issues with rips when I used variable bitrate (VBR) where the audio and video slowly become more desynced. I encode every video now with CBR (constant bitrate) even thought I am using different codecs now.

For information I saw this problem with divx+mp3 but now usually do h265/h264 + ac3.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Samsung TVs don't support Dolby Vision and I don't think they can tonemap transcode them either. I've had a friend try and watch some movies at her parent's house and their TV doesn't like some of my files. For my own personal consumption, of course I want HDR, but it's annoying for other users I share it with, so I typically download second versions of a 1080p non-HDR and have it in the same library so you can select between the two.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Just have them get a new TV instead.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is there a website that can just tell you if the movie is supposed to have subs or not so I don't have to do this dance?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

EVIL Gibson posted:

About the sync issues before, is it immediate sync issues or over time it becomes worse?

I've had issues with rips when I used variable bitrate (VBR) where the audio and video slowly become more desynced. I encode every video now with CBR (constant bitrate) even thought I am using different codecs now.

For information I saw this problem with divx+mp3 but now usually do h265/h264 + ac3.

I wanna say where I notice it the most is remux 4K stuff. You know, the poo poo I want to be perfect lol

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Guess whose router poo poo the bed and factory defaulted itself just before I left the house for a week or more on emergency. Had just enough time to port forward Plex but everything else is completely hosed, including my Remote Desktop stuff. How does it always know?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Well Played Mauer posted:

I wanna say where I notice it the most is remux 4K stuff. You know, the poo poo I want to be perfect lol

Is it instant desync or over time desync?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

EVIL Gibson posted:

I’ll need to double check but the last time I noticed it, it was happening very early on if not instantly. I was watching The Matrix and when Trinity tells herself to get up in the first scene is where I usually notice it.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

EVIL Gibson posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the entire time since I'm able to fix it with an audio offset and if it were something that got worse over time I'd think that would only be a temporary fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

EL BROMANCE posted:

Guess whose router poo poo the bed and factory defaulted itself just before I left the house for a week or more on emergency. Had just enough time to port forward Plex but everything else is completely hosed, including my Remote Desktop stuff. How does it always know?

This is my nightmare.