Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

lol lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

poverty organization lol

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The Titans perfect candidate will handle both sides of the ball. And special teams. And building maintenance. And cover the front desk phones.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
lol patriots imagine trading a 1st round pick for a coach that you end up firing.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
You'd think every team in the market would have both or at least one of them on the list.

Like you gotta take a shot?

Unless you just know you wanna low-ball and get some random mid tier or lower guy who you fire in 2 years anyway.

Nov 6, 2002

wilderthanmild posted:

You'd think every team in the market would have both or at least one of them on the list.

Unless you just know you wanna low-ball and get some random mid tier or lower guy who you fire in 2 years anyway.

NFCS Way ™

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Titans just said Bill Belichick doesn't know ball

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

We're moving on from Vrabel as fast as possible, no time to trade him. This is an urgent matter.

Who are we targeting?

Eh, whoever. Anyone really.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I get not wanting to hire a 71 year old coach when teams are hoping for a long term solution.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/patriots/status/1745490563883753859?s=46

short and to the point

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

wilderthanmild posted:

There was a thing from the Athletic earlier today about how one of the things that soured Titans owner Strunk on Vrabel was wanting more power/basically GM https://theathletic.com/5193909/2024/01/11/tennessee-titans-mike-vrabel-fired/

quote:

• During the hiring process to replace GM Jon Robinson, who was fired by Strunk late last season, Vrabel made two comments to Strunk that created friction between them, three team or league sources said. Vrabel wanted full control over the roster, saying that he’d earned it, and Strunk pointedly disagreed. Strunk has carried a belief over the years that head coaches shouldn’t have full control, pointing to the way things went for the Titans in the later years of Jeff Fisher’s tenure, and watching from afar the issues that transpired for the Patriots with Bill Belichick and Bill O’Brien with the Texans.

When Carthon was close to getting the job, Vrabel told Strunk he liked Carthon but didn’t feel he was ready to become an NFL general manager. Vrabel’s suggestion: The Titans hire Carthon as the assistant GM, a promotion from his position as No. 3 in the 49ers’ pecking order. Strunk did not take kindly to this suggestion, and team sources believe her and Vrabel’s relationship took a hit as a result of that conversation.

So with that in mind it at least does make sense/is consistent that in a big pool to look at for replacements, she doesn't want the two people most known for wanting to be both HC and GM

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
"I haven't seen this many cameras since we signed Tebow"

fuckin lmao, what an opener

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Titans want a yes man coach not someone like Harbaugh

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Titans looking for their Dennis Allen

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Roster control is pretty common for any reasonably tenured head coach, and Vrabel asking for it because he didn’t want another dipshit to trade away his best player is entirely reasonable. If your coach doesn’t want the guys your GM is picking it’s not going to be a very successful relationship.

Belichick was basically running scouting himself which is a different thing because he was a lovely scout. But the GM running scouting and making a list and then getting together with the coach who makes final decisions about who he wants seems like the way most successful teams run.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

SKULL.GIF posted:

We're moving on from Vrabel as fast as possible, no time to trade him. This is an urgent matter.

Who are we targeting?

Eh, whoever. Anyone really.

you know those italian restaraunts that are actually a mob front for money laundering and have zero interest in actually making food? the titans are the nfl version of that

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Roster control is pretty common for any reasonably tenured head coach, and Vrabel asking for it because he didn’t want another dipshit to trade away his best player is entirely reasonable. If your coach doesn’t want the guys your GM is picking it’s not going to be a very successful relationship.

Belichick was basically running scouting himself which is a different thing because he was a lovely scout. But the GM running scouting and making a list and then getting together with the coach who makes final decisions about who he wants seems like the way most successful teams run.

I don’t think many NFL coaches have roster control, especially with two of the most notable ones just got canned. Who else has it? Shanahan I think?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I wish that Strunk had taken the podium instead of sending Ran out there and just said “We fired Mike Vrabel because he inherited a playoff team and four years later 7-10 and 6-11 is not good enough.” They’ve really mishandled this firing in an attempt to not drag a well-liked coach.

The Titans are well worth a LOL given how they’re handling this, but Vrabel’s got a shine to him right now that I don’t think lasts. That 2021 season was extremely well-navigated due to the injuries, but dude’s roster and staff management has been terrible, and if you think he doesn’t own a good part of the lovely decisions people are laying at the feet of Jon Robinson, then you’re forgetting he was in every room J-Rob was.

Maybe he jumps into the Patriots and ends up building them back up into a powerhouse. But given how he couldn’t maintain a good team, I think that’s the less likely outcome.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Hand Row posted:

I don’t think many NFL coaches have roster control, especially with two of the most notable ones just got canned. Who else has it? Shanahan I think?

Payton had final say in NO and he certainly will in Denver as well. I’m sure McVay and Reid do as well. Like I said, the idea that there’s any reasonably successful coach who doesn’t have final say over who plays for him is ridiculous.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Yeah, the way things were described in Seattle was Carroll picking from a menu that Schneider assembled for him. Coaches want input into roster decisions.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think the opposite would be something like Philly where it seems pretty clear that Roseman has roster control.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Seems like more coaches than normal are tearing their acls getting fired this offseason

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Input and control are different things. Vrabel having full roster control would be bad. It’s not like he didn’t have any pull, he was the one who wanted Deandre Hopkins here and got him even though the FO was wanting a bigger tear down.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Simplex posted:

I think the opposite would be something like Philly where it seems pretty clear that Roseman has roster control.

Yeah good point. It’s generally pretty obvious when the coach doesn’t have final say on personnel because you get dysfunction and constant power struggles.

Here’s how Veach describes how he works with Reid:

quote:

“We have worked together for so long that when I come to him and let him know what my staff and I are thinking about the guys we’re targeting. Then, I mirror that with the draft board, positions, and stackings. We’re trimming off all the fat for him and just giving him real information. Instead of watching 14 offensive linemen, coach (Reid) takes a peek at 2-3 of them that we’ll probably select. We’re not draining everything out of them by having him watch all this tape all this time, but instead just coming in to touch base with us.”

Which sounds pretty similar to how Schneider and Carroll worked together and I imagine how it works in most every functional organization. The coaches don’t have time to do all of the scouting required so the GM office does the work of refining their targets and then gets with the coach to make final decisions.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Chris James 2 posted:

There was a thing from the Athletic earlier today about how one of the things that soured Titans owner Strunk on Vrabel was wanting more power/basically GM https://theathletic.com/5193909/2024/01/11/tennessee-titans-mike-vrabel-fired/

So with that in mind it at least does make sense/is consistent that in a big pool to look at for replacements, she doesn't want the two people most known for wanting to be both HC and GM

Also, staying out of what could be a protracted sweepstakes/bidding war so they can focus on all of the talented coordinators who are going to get sidelined while teams fight over the big names isn't necessarily a bad move to begin with. Why wait a few weeks for a chance at Harbaugh or Belichick when you can start getting your new HC installed much sooner?

Nov 6, 2002

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yeah good point. It’s generally pretty obvious when the coach doesn’t have final say on personnel because you get dysfunction and constant power struggles.

Here’s how Veach describes how he works with Reid:

Which sounds pretty similar to how Schneider and Carroll worked together and I imagine how it works in most every functional organization. The coaches don’t have time to do all of the scouting required so the GM office does the work of refining their targets and then gets with the coach to make final decisions.

Or if your Belichick you just ignore the guys the scouts brought you and draft Tyquan Thorton or Cole Strange.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'm sure I've heard Brandon Beane talk about the roster process in Buffalo beginning with the various coaches putting together both their needs and the attributes they want in the player for a given position. It's then his job to go and find the best available players that fit. I've seen nothing to suggest final decisions are anything but mutually decided.

It seems to me that a good HC-GM relationship has to be collaborative. If one side is continually having to pull rank, such that 'final roster control' is more than a technically, it's probably not a partnership that is going to thrive long term.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Or if your Belichick you just ignore the guys the scouts brought you and draft Tyquan Thorton or Cole Strange.

Or if you're Gettleman you take Kelvin Benjamin while the rest of your scouting department and coaches are screaming for Davante Adams.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

In honor of Bill leaving, one of my favorite videos on all of YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn1cv1p1WTo

Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/PhilAPerry/status/1745500119355527199

Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/AdamHoge/status/1745192736955748393

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Offensive coordinatora desperately want to get to work at a place where they have no idea who will be the quarterback and will almost certainly be fired next year because eberflus is or for mysterious "hr reasons"

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

lmaooooo, it's giving

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If I get the job, I'll be instituting the run 'n shoot.

Nov 6, 2002

They stapled flyers with their number on telephone poles all over Chicago and the results have been amazing.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

need some better chargers then Matt

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

He meant it literally. The Bears shoddy bargain basement office equipment is literally exploding. Seven people have been injured.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Did we ever find out what the deal was with the Bears coach and the FBI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/peniseconomist/status/1745457265354969500