Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

devmd01 posted:

Anyone have some good resources for helping a 6yo with expressing his anger appropriately? He is a pretty good kid but recently we’ve been having more issues with him hauling off and hitting his siblings when he gets angry at them. It’s always an instant reaction type thing, we can’t get ahead of it even if we are in the same room.

In discussions, it’s clear he doesn’t have the tools needed to help him make the right choice, so it’s time to start giving him some.

Do you talk to your kids often about identifying their emotions? That can be really helpful with learning emotional regulation. It can be tough to do intuitively if you haven’t been raised to identify and talk about your own emotions, but it’s definitely doable!

We bought a feelings chart for our daughter when she was really young. When there were tantrums, anger, sadness, even positive emotions, we would talk about what she was feeling with the chart. When it’s a difficult emotion, being able to point to a feeling and name it is helpful. Then you can normalize said emotion, and talk about it. You can then help lead them to what to do with that emotion. “It’s ok to be angry. I get angry sometimes, too. What can you do to make yourself feel better if you’re feeling angry?”

Just a thought! It’s worked well for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

We bought a feelings chart for our daughter when she was really young. When there were tantrums, anger, sadness, even positive emotions, we would talk about what she was feeling with the chart. When it’s a difficult emotion, being able to point to a feeling and name it is helpful. Then you can normalize said emotion, and talk about it. You can then help lead them to what to do with that emotion. “It’s ok to be angry. I get angry sometimes, too. What can you do to make yourself feel better if you’re feeling angry?”

We're trying to do this with our almost 3 year old but are finding its really difficult. We try to talk about it when she's tantruming but all she wants to do is scream and cry and say the same thing over and over again. We say this stuff to her but at least it doesn't seem like anything is getting through.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
In my experience it helps to try and talk about it when things aren't so heated.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Renegret posted:

I think the problem with electronic toys are pretty universal to most kids. They do a thing, you push a button, the thing happens, you're done. Once you get bored of thing the toy is useless. We have so many garbage electronic toys that just get forgotten about because they're loving boring. Legos and Lincoln logs are classics for a reason, it's no exaggeration to say the possibilities are endless with them.

Ironically we're seeing the same problem arise from matchbox car accessories. Not the cars themselves, we have dozens of them and they show no signs of losing their novelty. But every car track has gotten boring within hours, and we inevitably go back to hand launching them into the wall. There's one exception to the boring car track dilemma: a 6 lane straight track with with an even slope, no turns, and no gimmicks

LEGO isn't entirely immune to the problem either.

I added a small Technic set to a recent order because I had very fond memories of that line. Those sets used to mostly use bricks and plates that had the standard bumps that you could use to attach whatever and turn, entirely hypothetically of course, an airplane into a flying space city. Now they almost exclusively use smooth pieces that you can only attach standard bricks to using special pins (which the sets only provide enough of to attach included bits).

Compare this:

To this:

The result is a much more polished look, but it isn't as fun.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Yeah by the time the kid is mad it’s too late - it only pisses my son off more if he thinks he’s receiving a lecture. When he’s going aggressive or otherwise out of control, I physically remove him from the situation and just sit with him. If I can sub in a pillow to hit I will, and I will try and narrate his emotions out loud?

Then when he’s calmer we can practice our calming techniques, or have him name his emotions, or brainstorm what happened and what other things we can do.

We’ve been doing it for a long time, and that combined with his mindfulness has reduced hitting and increased the number of times he screams I’M SO MAD!!!! and stomps away.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Shifty Pony posted:

LEGO isn't entirely immune to the problem either.

I added a small Technic set to a recent order because I had very fond memories of that line. Those sets used to mostly use bricks and plates that had the standard bumps that you could use to attach whatever and turn, entirely hypothetically of course, an airplane into a flying space city. Now they almost exclusively use smooth pieces that you can only attach standard bricks to using special pins (which the sets only provide enough of to attach included bits).

Compare this:

To this:

The result is a much more polished look, but it isn't as fun.

Yeah I do agree with you on that. What my kid and I imagine most kids want is a big bucket of assorted bricks to go wild on, but I do acknowledge that's not how you make money as as a company. It's annoying. Too many super specific specialty pieces to just buy a bunch of sets and throw them all in a bucket. There's also a lot of pressure to not disassemble sets or mix sets because then you'll never be able to actually reassemble it. My little man just wants to build a big square house and I don't want to have to supervise building a rocket ship because that's what we're being told we have to do.

The best I've figured out are a few sets of these things but it's still too many obscure specialty pieces and not enough bog standard 2x4 bricks.

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Classic...5&sr=8-100&th=1

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I've been thinking of doing the three potty training no diaper/pants crash course over the coming long weekend with my 2.5 Year old. She's interested in the potty, likes flushing, and tries to wash her hands so I think she's ready. Anyone have a good or bad experience doing it?

She's non verbal but obviously understands words when spoken to and gestures to what she wants/needs quite well. It'll be tough watching for body language instead of listening for cue words though tbh.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

We moved yesterday and the kids, almost 3 and almost 5, have to share a room for a couple nights while we wait for the floor to dry in one’s bedroom.

They were wiiiide awake at 5 talking, playing, and generally being quite rowdy and it was almost cute but oh boy if I could make poly cure faster I sure would.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

loving three month sleep regression

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Slaan posted:

I've been thinking of doing the three potty training no diaper/pants crash course over the coming long weekend with my 2.5 Year old. She's interested in the potty, likes flushing, and tries to wash her hands so I think she's ready. Anyone have a good or bad experience doing it?

She's non verbal but obviously understands words when spoken to and gestures to what she wants/needs quite well. It'll be tough watching for body language instead of listening for cue words though tbh.

Does she sign at all? Like, you could teach her a hand signal for ”poop” as a start.

Other than that warning, I think verbal communication is not really that important in potty training. Good luck have fun!

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Chillmatic posted:

In my experience it helps to try and talk about it when things aren't so heated.

Yes, this! In the moment you try to normalize the feelings. “I can see you’re very angry. It’s ok to feel angry. It’s not ok to hit.” “Feeling angry is not a fun feeling. I understand. You take all the time you need. I’ll be right here.”

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Good lord, I have received three incident reports this week regarding another kid biting or shoving my son. Are they having freaking toddler fight club in there??

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

Yeah I do agree with you on that. What my kid and I imagine most kids want is a big bucket of assorted bricks to go wild on, but I do acknowledge that's not how you make money as as a company. It's annoying. Too many super specific specialty pieces to just buy a bunch of sets and throw them all in a bucket. There's also a lot of pressure to not disassemble sets or mix sets because then you'll never be able to actually reassemble it. My little man just wants to build a big square house and I don't want to have to supervise building a rocket ship because that's what we're being told we have to do.

The best I've figured out are a few sets of these things but it's still too many obscure specialty pieces and not enough bog standard 2x4 bricks.

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Classic...5&sr=8-100&th=1

if you're fine with used, check bricklink

https://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?pg=1&colorID=5&itemID=264&sz=10&searchSort=P

You can find people selling lots of 50+ used for ~5c per brick, new lego in the box usually works out to 7c piece, and 2x4s direct from lego are 18-20c each.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

dismas posted:

loving three month sleep regression

sup 1 year sleep regression
poo poo is tough...

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

remigious posted:

Good lord, I have received three incident reports this week regarding another kid biting or shoving my son. Are they having freaking toddler fight club in there??

Is this his first week back after break? Sometimes when my kid goes back the first couple days she has trouble self regulating and goes on a biting spree too, and then she goes back to totally fine

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"There's paint on my finger. There's paint on my finger. DAA DEE, there's paint on my finger!"

"Oh!" *wipes it*

"NOOOOOOOOOO!!! I LIKED IT!"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Amid the chaos of me setting up a pump to clear our 2 inches of water in the basement, my son decided that was the perfect moment to help take some ornaments off the Christmas tree. He, of course, dropped and shattered a glass ornament from our honeymoon. Specifically, it was full of pink sand from Bermuda.

He then had a meltdown because mommy wasn't able to magically fix shattered glass and she put it in the garbage instead. As a compromise, she swept up all the sand and put it in a clear plastic bauble, then super glued it shut since it doesn't really seal well.

Of course, after being told not to touch it, he immediately touched it and super glued his fingers together. We got them separated easy enough, but super glue tends to leave behind a reside that's really hard to get off but will flake off on it's own in time. We covered it with a bandaid to help take his mind off the sensation of the glue being stuck on there, but now he's walking around telling everybody he has 2 broken fingers because of mommy.

Yeah we're gonna have CPS knocking at the door today I think. I've been referring to him as a Chaos Gremlin recently and he's really starting to lean into it.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Brawnfire posted:

"There's paint on my finger. There's paint on my finger. DAA DEE, there's paint on my finger!"

"Oh!" *wipes it*

"NOOOOOOOOOO!!! I LIKED IT!"

"Now put the paint back on so I can wipe it off myself!"

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Renegret posted:

Amid the chaos of me setting up a pump to clear our 2 inches of water in the basement, my son decided that was the perfect moment to help take some ornaments off the Christmas tree. He, of course, dropped and shattered a glass ornament from our honeymoon. Specifically, it was full of pink sand from Bermuda.

He then had a meltdown because mommy wasn't able to magically fix shattered glass and she put it in the garbage instead. As a compromise, she swept up all the sand and put it in a clear plastic bauble, then super glued it shut since it doesn't really seal well.

Of course, after being told not to touch it, he immediately touched it and super glued his fingers together. We got them separated easy enough, but super glue tends to leave behind a reside that's really hard to get off but will flake off on it's own in time. We covered it with a bandaid to help take his mind off the sensation of the glue being stuck on there, but now he's walking around telling everybody he has 2 broken fingers because of mommy.

Yeah we're gonna have CPS knocking at the door today I think. I've been referring to him as a Chaos Gremlin recently and he's really starting to lean into it.

oh so just a regular tuesday then?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
One of the twins was incredibly clumsy as a toddler and got lots of bruises, etc for stupid accidents. Thankfully daycare witnessed plenty of it as well!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Every so often my daycare will helpfully inform me that my kid had an accident and got a bruise, then point out which bruise from the five or so on the rest of her body at any given time.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My wife kicked out a child from her school because every time the child had an accident report, new bruise, or something like that, the parent would completely flip her poo poo to the point that she was threatening physical violence against the teachers. It also didn't help that the child was known to just make poo poo up, so sometimes the parent was getting mad over things that never happened.

Like, imagine getting angry every time your child gets a new bruise to the point of yelling at staff and trying to goad them into a fight. I don't think I'd have the energy to keep that up for more than a few hours. Also a good 1/4 of those bruises are probably my fault.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

devmd01 posted:

Anyone have some good resources for helping a 6yo with expressing his anger appropriately? He is a pretty good kid but recently we’ve been having more issues with him hauling off and hitting his siblings when he gets angry at them. It’s always an instant reaction type thing, we can’t get ahead of it even if we are in the same room.

In discussions, it’s clear he doesn’t have the tools needed to help him make the right choice, so it’s time to start giving him some.

If there is an ADHD diagnosis, I would check in about starting/adjusting meds. If not, has there been an evaluation?

Getting the right dose of meds makes it far easier to make the right choice in those sorts of situations, according to my kid. Without it they can get in a shame cycle where they know they aren’t supposed to do something, impulsively do it, decide now they are bad and amp their behavior up to 11.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

The school nurse called me after my daughter ran into another kid, got a pink (not bloody) nose, and my kid insisted she didn’t need to leave gym class and wanted to keep playing.

If this is the bar for parental contact, I think I’m going to be hearing a lot from the nurse.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Does anyone else spend far too much time trying to prevent future events from occurring, or try to foresee future problems and mitigate them now?

I’m an engineer, and my job is risk management, future proofing and strategy.

I’m finding this is bleeding into my life, an unhealthy amount. I.e I want my kids to get good jobs and be able to stand on their own two feet, so what can I do now to manage that - send them to a private school. I want my kids to go to university, so my bonus goes into savings for that event.

Both situations feels like I’m spiting the me of today, to try and mitigate a future event which may not occur. I’m trying to provide for my kids in the way my parents provided for me, but with boomer parents they were sorted, I’m a millennial parent with no money, no equity and a tanked economy.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

The absolute best thing you can do to help your kids is to make sure you are capable of supporting yourself in the future in retirement.

If you pay for their college but they need to help you out monetarily while you're retired, you're doing everybody a disservice..

Also, there's no guarantee that going to private school or university is going to get them to be successful in life... But you do know you are going to need to stop working someday and you will need money for that.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

sheri posted:

The absolute best thing you can do to help your kids is to make sure you are capable of supporting yourself in the future in retirement.

If you pay for their college but they need to help you out monetarily while you're retired, you're doing everybody a disservice..

Also, there's no guarantee that going to private school or university is going to get them to be successful in life... But you do know you are going to need to stop working someday and you will need money for that.

I don’t agree with this, there are too many unknowns. I also don’t know enough about the OPs life and financial situation. You definitely need to be saving for retirement, but that doesn’t mean you should do it entirely at the detriment of saving for your kids college. Maybe they don’t go to college, but then that money you saved can be used for something else, including your retirement, or whatever your kids are going to want to do at that age that is not just blow it all on a trip or something.

Private school and university are not guarantees, but if you want to do certain careers in life you need university. The problem is you have no idea now knowing what they are going to want to do in the future.

I definitely don’t agree that private school is going to guarantee them anything. We are planning on sending our kids to public school when they get to that age.

We also have no idea what college costs, government support, etc. are going to look like in 15+ years. I wouldn’t hold my breath over it but things could get easier or worse when it comes to the financial burden. You just can’t know right now.

For us, we are putting $200 a month in a PA529 program which is the Pennsylvania savings program for kids who may someday go to college or may do something else. I don’t think you need to save much necessarily, and it can definitely be less than we are putting in, but I would save something if you can.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

20 week ultrasound tech: one kidney is a bit larger than the other. Nothing major, will probably resolve on its own. We’ll do a quick follow up to confirm it’s in tolerance.

3 years later: Vesicoureteral reflux and hydronephrosis kidney hits us with an RKO out of nowhere.

Holding a screaming 3yo with an iron bladder down on an X-ray table while cajoling them to pee is quite the experience. Somehow she heard and remembered the 4 different treats we promised during the ordeal.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Sleep training report: CIO is not a hit, but white noise machine and consistency is.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my son wanted to look at pictures of himself from when he was first born (all the way back in 2020... wow time really flies) and its crazy how those newborn photos both resemble him and also look nothing like him

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

That’s something my partner and I have reflected on occasionally. Growing up, unless one of our parents was super organized and/or mega hoarders, we’re lucky to have a few pictures or so from each year, maybe a video. Now that we have phones and online repositories, everything gets stored and organized. I’ll be curious if our kids end up overwhelmed by all the media or if it’s just normal by then.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Google Photos? My friends all have million-view social media channels with full immersive video documenting their entire childhood. What am I supposed to do with... *shudder* ...IMAGES?"

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
I wonder how this will affect their memories of childhood. We have a decent number of photos and videos of us as kids, at least by the standards of the 80s and 90s, and things I believe to be legitimate first-hand memories are over-represented in their content. In other words, it’s likely that a lot of events I think I remember are actually just memories of me looking at the photo or watching the video recording at some point. Kids growing up with so many more high-resolution and candid records of them will probably see their past in a very different way.

I also find it very interesting that newborn recordings of my now almost two year old both look and sound like him, while at the same time appearing totally different. I’m sure this contrast will get more and more interesting the older he gets.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Brawnfire posted:

"Google Photos? My friends all have million-view social media channels with full immersive video documenting their entire childhood. What am I supposed to do with... *shudder* ...IMAGES?"

No joke I sometimes show my toddler photos of herself and she says "press the button" and then gets mad because she wants them to move like the videos do

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I wonder if the younger generation will be pissed that we shared their baby photos and intimate family moments so widely and publicly. Personally I keep all social media posts friends only and I would never share those photos with the entire world. I absolutely despise “family bloggers” that have their children’s entire lives on full display.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

remigious posted:

I wonder if the younger generation will be pissed that we shared their baby photos and intimate family moments so widely and publicly. Personally I keep all social media posts friends only and I would never share those photos with the entire world. I absolutely despise “family bloggers” that have their children’s entire lives on full display.

This is a huge thing with me and it has caused friction with family. We don't put any pictures of our children online, and we ask family members not to either. If they want to throw their photos out all over the internet when they're older that's their business, but it's not my choice to make for them while they're in diapers.

edit: We share photos with family of course. We just tell them to not make the grandma facebook blast of their last visit so that people from their church we've never met can click like.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

This is a huge thing with me and it has caused friction with family. We don't put any pictures of our children online, and we ask family members not to either. If they want to throw their photos out all over the internet when they're older that's their business, but it's not my choice to make for them while they're in diapers.

edit: We share photos with family of course. We just tell them to not make the grandma facebook blast of their last visit so that people from their church we've never met can click like.

Same. I have a locked family album that only family can see but my dad the amateur photographer is consistently salty I won't let him post photos of my kid to his Facebook

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I ended up getting my parents a digital photo frame that only my wife and I have access to upload photos. Works out great that way and I don’t have to bother with sending them a photo every 10 min (which is what my mom would prefer I do).

They get new photos every couple days and it’s a nice little surprise for them.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It’s fun to go back and look at newborn photos without the haze of newborn emotions. Back then I thought every picture was the cutest thing anyone could ever see.

Now it’s more like “yeah my kid was…cute…”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Freebus
Sep 7, 2007

please do not shut down
the 15m old somehow unscrewed a hex bolt from my desk and kept saying uh oh until i got down and looked. then she slapped a sticker on my face. i have been owned