Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

When I think "character actor", the first name that comes to mind is Stephen Root - he's in a lot of stuff, usually smaller or supporting parts, and he has a distinctive look and character type that he tends to play.

I especially love seeing him and William H Macy get into hard bastard roles after first seeing them in snivelling loser roles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Well it has never been on a streaming service but apparently Northern Exposure is now available on Prime.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

AcidCat posted:

Well it has never been on a streaming service but apparently Northern Exposure is now available on Prime.

Favorite show of all time so I'll have to check it out, but I'm hesitant because music rights were the reason it never hit streaming. If it's full of generic music it just won't be the same

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Yeah I've heard about the music issue, I don't know how Amazon has chosen to resolve it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

AcidCat posted:

Yeah I've heard about the music issue, I don't know how Amazon has chosen to resolve it.

They've replaced it with Booty Sweat on a loop

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I'm watching the latest season of For All Mankind and I kind of feel like they should end it sometime soon.
It's far from the innovation and quality of season 1
(and side reason that's not that relevant, it's causing people to believe in Elon Musk's lie that putting people on Mars is either easy, necessary or both)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AR9Dqi3CVc

I'm pretty, pretty, pretty excited for this (but also pretty, pretty, pretty sad it's ending :smith: )

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Stuck at the airport and just saw Doug Jones walking through. Owns.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

I'm pretty, pretty, pretty excited for this (but also pretty, pretty, pretty sad it's ending :smith: )

It would be a huge waste to not have the whole season culminate in his death wildly inconveniencing everyone and making all his friends furious.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

GreenNight posted:

Stuck at the airport and just saw Doug Jones walking through. Owns.

If I were him, I would always walk with the weird flowy arm thing he does when doing aliens and monsters.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

bull3964 posted:

If I were him, I would always walk with the weird flowy arm thing he does when doing aliens and monsters.

One person ran up to him and was a super fan girl and he was a very nice guy. Was good to see.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic posted:

Wow, all that work Cheryl has had done has really come back to bite her on the rear end. She's unrecognisable.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Granted only watched the trailer on my phone but she looks the exact same as always lol

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I didn't watch the last season so it may have been a few years since I've seen her.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bosch might have some of the cheesiest writing ever. 4 seasons in and I’m rolling my eyes pretty heavily.

Was the author of the books going for some film noir poo poo or something?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Okay, I feel kind of dumb for not realizing until episode 10 that John Goodman's character from Kong: Skull Island was Bill Randa. To be fair I haven't seen that movie since release.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hey, maybe spoiler stuff for something that just aired. This is the general thread, not the monarch thread.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Hey, maybe spoiler stuff for something that just aired. This is the general thread, not the monarch thread.

I agree on principle, but in this case this is information that's literally the first scene of episode one.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 12, 2024

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

I agree on principle, but in this case this is information that's literally the first scene of episode one.

I have a problem with remembering names and if someone just says a name once I simply cannot remember it. It comes from an old job where I listened to hundred of thousands of names so my brain just automatically dumps them unless I hear them multiple times.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

I have a problem with remembering names and if someone just says a name once I simply cannot remember it. It comes from an old job where I listened to hundred of thousands of names so my brain just automatically dumps them unless I hear them multiple times.

Yeah nah this is a real problem i have both in person and with shows. I'm great with faces and facts, but names just slide off me unless I make a concerted effort to do little lists and stuff. Plus this trend towards short seasons with ensemble casts (all the better to market for).

That's probably why I know so many actor names. It's just easier.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

muscles like this! posted:

Okay, I feel kind of dumb for not realizing until episode 10 that John Goodman's character from Kong: Skull Island was Bill Randa. To be fair I haven't seen that movie since release.

To be fair the guy they cast looks far too young to age into John Goodman in a couple of decades time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So uhhh how bout that finale to the Curse???

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Loved it but also recognise that a lot of people will not and will have some valid complaints lmao

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Character actors are actors that don't play lead roles or can't carry a whole movie by themselves (ugly).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1745853172533358715

An even younger sheldon????

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Medullah posted:

So uhhh how bout that finale to the Curse???

I never watched the show, googled how it ended, and cackled like a lunatic. Another win for Nathan Fielder.

Not sure if I would have actually enjoyed watching that, but as an art object it’s brilliant.

mystes
May 31, 2006

how much younger can these sheldons get

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

mystes posted:

Sheldon 3500 B.C focusing on the dawn of man

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

mystes posted:

The true nature of "The Big Bang Theory" reveals itself to be about tracing life back to the first primordial Sheldon at the dawn of time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

To be fair the guy they cast looks far too young to age into John Goodman in a couple of decades time.

Also they did literally nothing with that version of the character other than the opening.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

All of human history has been a continuous attempt to create the perfect Sheldon

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Planck-Time Sheldon

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Teek posted:

The true nature of "The Big Bang Theory" reveals itself to be about tracing life back to the first primordial Sheldon at the dawn of time.

Sheldon of the First Sin

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The Bazinga Particle

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

PriorMarcus posted:

I will quite happily take that over digital de-aging.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
My favorite "de-aging" trick was from an old episode of Murder, She Wrote, where the episode had flashbacks to events that took place 30 years ago, and the actors in those flashbacks were dead ringers for the actors in the present.

Turns out the "flashback" clips were from an old movie that had been made about 30 years prior, and they just got the same actors to reprise those characters 30 years later.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Boston Legal did that once, using a movie/show with young William Shatner playing a lawyer as a flashback to young Denny Crane early in his career

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Chuck Lorre's Into the Sheldonverse

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Escobarbarian posted:

Boston Legal did that once, using a movie/show with young William Shatner playing a lawyer as a flashback to young Denny Crane early in his career

Son of the Defender, great episode. Flashbacks were all in black and white, because they were from an episode of a show called Studio One called The Defender from 1957. Extremely effective, and showed how Boston Legal could be truly great when it wanted to be.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0394920/?ref_=tt_trv_trv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

I will quite happily take that over digital de-aging.

Same plus some peeps age really badly and stress so it didn’t take me out too much. Overall I liked the show though the writing was a bit dodgy at times; especially, anytime it focused on the “kids” who were aged 20-30. I remember one time they were sneaking into a high security quarantined area that they already talked about that had patrols and just started singing a silly song at the top of their lungs. That was just the most egregious but overall they acted like how maybe I would think someone would act at 13-16. Don’t get it twisted - I still do dumb poo poo even pushing 40 but I remember being 13-16 and occasionally I did super dumb things. I don’t think quite as bad as the 20 to 30 somethings in Monarch, or quite as often, but I did do them. But the writing always seemed extra CW when they were the sole focus. The older character bits were decent and using Kurt Russell’s son to de age him was a neat trick. The bearded goon Monarch agent really grew on me and one of the best laughs the whole show gave me was when he joined the kids and were pretending to be anime fans and he pulled out some knowledge. This latest episode he again pulled out a quick weeb reference that cracked me up. Decent fun at times although would rate it below most of the other Apple TV stuff aside from Foundation Season 1 and Invasion. Around the level of “See” and I watched all of that. Expected more from Matt Fraction tho.

Edit: I liked Foundation alright mainly because the highs were really good, but the lows were so low I never even finished the last ep of season one when it was spoiled for me. Mainly the Huntress was the deal breaker. I would watch an entire show of the fall of the Galactic Empire and Lee Pace chewing scenery. Kinda wish they had just skipped every part even remotely involving the book or just mentioned it in passing as some weird scientists doing mysterious experiments on the fringe.