Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

Foxtrot Classix

(Andy's gaming group acronym...almost a problem these days. Also, Amend is still drawing N64-style controllers in 2003. We've moved on, Bill! Dual sticks are the norm by now!)

some of use were still languishing with n64s in 2003!

also its a cooler controller design

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

JethroMcB posted:

Cul de Sac

Cul-de-sac is so good :allears:

Howard Beale posted:

My cat Autolycus passed away today

I am so so sorry. I lost my 21 year old cat last year and it absolutely crushed me.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

JethroMcB posted:

Foxtrot Classix

(Andy's gaming group acronym...almost a problem these days. Also, Amend is still drawing N64-style controllers in 2003. We've moved on, Bill! Dual sticks are the norm by now!)

It's a play on MAAD

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Crab Dad posted:

Why does that dork have eyeballs?

turn on your monitor

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (December 30, 1935)

Peanuts (January 13, 1977)

Crankshaft

Aww, I wanted to spend more time with the Some Gizmo Kids.

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (August 8-10, 1935)

Please welcome back Marryin' Sam, covering both ends of the matrimonial contract. What you do in the middle is your own business.

Thimble Theater (August 15, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (October 14-16, 1943)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

LvK posted:

turn on your monitor

I have been under the apparently incorrect under that “dork” meant whale penis in old whaling terms.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Whale%20Cock%20(Dork)

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: From Rufus With Love

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

How common is wearing fur, nowadays? I don't think I can remember the last time I've seen anyone wear any, but maybe I just don't recognize it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "494 - Jucika And The Polite Patient"

Aww.

"495 - Jucika And The Glass Door"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Doomykins posted:

"495 - Jucika And The Glass Door"

Had a coworker do this back when I drove armored cars while he was coming out of a check cashing site. Two of the ladies working inside carried him to the trunk and tossed him in because I couldn’t exit the truck. He was so embarrassed because he was flirting while walking out.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

LvK posted:

Why does the whale have a foreskin?

I know trying to make sense of Overboard's art is a fool's errand, but I can't come up with even the slightest plausible reason for drawing a right whale like that. They just don't have a ring in the slightest!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Crab Dad posted:

I have been under the apparently incorrect under that “dork” meant whale penis in old whaling terms.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Whale%20Cock%20(Dork)

Huh, no poo poo? I caught the joke but I was also under the impression that it referred to whale penis.

Pancho Jueves posted:

I know trying to make sense of Overboard's art is a fool's errand, but I can't come up with even the slightest plausible reason for drawing a right whale like that. They just don't have a ring in the slightest!

Also I didn't know that a "Right Whale" was an actual species of whale, which only made the comic marginally more confusing.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I would just like to say: whale penis

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Shhh!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

(this started as a Wales -> whales joke, but I forgot what I was doing)

Kennel fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 11, 2024

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Dingbat Family/The Family Upstairs(July 14, 1910)

Baron Bean(January 13, 1916)

A new storyline begins.

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals(December 12, 1912)

Gasoline Alley(September 1, 1919)

Us Boys(September 11, 1911)

Adding a new strip tomorrow.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

This is just a great comic page

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The right whale's name (probably) does in fact come from the fact that it was the "correct" whale, though unfortunately it was because they were the "right" whale for whaling ships to hunt. If only it was because they were the right member of the band!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Kennel posted:

(this started as a Wales -> whales joke, but I forgot what I was doing)

The Lord's work is what you're doing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

LICKING THE VERY DORK OF GOD

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Gonna have to agree with baby boy on bottom right panel.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

John Allison posted:

Change! What is this thing we call "change"?

Amid blistering, terrifying changes in the real world, there's a new, comforting conservatism in the minds of men. We can't stop the polar icecaps melting, but we can sure as hell complain that they changed the theme song to "American Cop Show".

As a man who makes a tiny slice of the great "entertainment" pie, i witness the white-knuckled fear change causes. grown men and women drinking tap- water full of hormones and chemicals, terrified because you stopped drawing a character a certain way.

Of course, I exaggerate. My readers are generally good eggs one and all. And since I change things every few years, they buy into my ever changing moods. but I've seen people pilloried for trying something even slightly different (and frequently better). Status quo forever!

Scary Go Round is nothing if not a heap of ham-fisted allegories and parables - it doesn't fit together perfectly. It's hard to stay on message when you can't really remember what the message was. But if ever there was a time for the common man to stop sweating the small stuff, I'd say it was now.

Or soon. Once we finish campaigning to get them to bring back "American Doctor Show" from cancellation.

The Child is my favourite Scary Go Round story to date. Characters who I'd created for a single strip somehow came to life, which is always a surprise.

Whether new characters like Erin and Esther will have a part to play in the future, I can't say. Sometimes new people arrive strong and slowly tail off, sometimes they grow naturally in my brain over the years until I can't do a story without them. It's an interesting journey, this business we call "show".

Thank you for being here for this showbusiness journey! Thank you for reading my commentaries! Thank you for reading my comics! You are... my friend!

Sometimes I feel that Allison may have had a few drinks before writing these. For those who haven't read SGR before, this is a pivotal arc! We get some character development, some Tackleford paranormal stuff, and a number of characters being brought to the forefront who become main characters later in the series. And, y'know, a good ol' case or two of Shelley Winters Must Suffer just for bonus points.

Scary Go Round (January 24-26, 2005)

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

riderchop posted:

Whale?????

I know the whale itself is the star here, but also just... what? "AM" being underlined in the first panel doesn't make sense! It only even scans a joke if you take the stress of there and put it on "A RIGHT WHALE".

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's not even a whale type known for its singing.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

I must admit, I did not have "wedding crashed by a drunken failson of Ming" on my bingo card. (Mongo card?)

There is a literal witch at this wedding, and yet we get this dingdong causing problems instead.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 20: Extreme Freaks

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

Allison's post hasn't displayed yet. Note that the "writing woman" Billie and Maggie are talking about is none other than Bobbins / Scary Go Round regular Shelley Winters. She first met Penrose at the end of Author Unknown and would return to go on a date with him in Steeple 15: Reverend in Love ( a Gumroad exclusive).

Update, Allison's post:

quote:

The instant-on boiling water tap (eg “Qooker”) is a real marker of middle class aspiration. I’ve never had one. I’ve used one once. It felt like too much power, to be honest. The kind of move Oppenheimer got himself so chewed-up about.

You can learn much, much more about Reverend Penrose’s relationship with “his writing woman” in the Steeple Summer Special (issue 15, “Reverend In Love”) – available on my Gumroad or to subscribers to my Patreon (direct link to the special) .

The_Other fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 12, 2024

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

I must admit, I did not have "wedding crashed by a drunken failson of Ming" on my bingo card. (Mongo card?)

Doctor Strange looks rough.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kennel posted:

Doctor Strange looks rough.

Given the same uniform (no cape though) for a moment I thought Sojas had cleaned himself up and caught up in time for a dramatic reval.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 2/21-23/52

Archie 3/28-30/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 11/14/76

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Kennel posted:

:siren: a new Overboard animal just dropped :siren:

It's clearly a dogfish.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Pluggers

I'll bet someone submitted this under a fake name just to they could tell their wife "See? It's not weird! This other Plugger does it too!"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's healthier to eat chicken while always saying it the way Leeloo does in The Fifth Element

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
-Holds security guard license aloft- Multipass!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Comic Strips 2024: Pooping, eh?