Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Busch is definitely a better hitter than McKinstry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

don't trade with the loving dodgers

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Busch is probably going to get starts at 3rd in Chicago especially with Hoerner and Swanson. Like it's dumb but they didn't sign a Hosmer kind of no hoper to plug the spot

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

26 year old who can't hit in the majors for a future TOR pitcher plus another potential top 20 Cubs prospect. Got fleeced again.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

26 year old who can't hit in the majors for a future TOR pitcher plus another potential top 20 Cubs prospect. Got fleeced again.

he has 81 MLB PA

e: was looking at AB not PA

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 11, 2024

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

don't trade with the loving dodgers

This Dodgers FO traded Yordan Alvarez for Josh Fields

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

this is a wild overreaction to a guy who has all of 81 PA's in MLB

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Traxis posted:

This Dodgers FO traded Yordan Alvarez for Josh Fields
Still convinced that was a shady side-deal where they only signed Alvarez in order to trade him to Houston.

You don't trade an international amateur a month after signing him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this Busch guy plays first and is immediately standing in the way of Matt Mervis and is therefore an Enemy

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
What the gently caress are you doing, Jed? You didn’t have to make a move there.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DeepDickPizza posted:

What the gently caress are you doing, Jed? You didn’t have to make a move there.

Cubs got 2 guys for their MLB roster that they can pay peanuts to. The farm was always going to he used for cash savings.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

to be clear I have no idea who any of these guys are and am just mindlessly complaining!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

to be clear I have no idea who any of these guys are and am just mindlessly complaining!

Going by bawfuls reaction, we got fleeced and that pitcher is their Kershaw replacement.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't know the guys the Cubs got but Jackson Ferris is one of their best pitching prospects. 19 year old who was drat good in A ball last year. Feel like you could have gotten more but guessing money is a concern.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

-Ferris was the Cubs #8 prospect, 19 year old lefty who could touch 97 and already had a plus changeup. Pitched well enough in A ball this year but was really heavily protected innings-wise. Personally I really liked him but he's young as hell and TINSTAAPP.
-Hope is an 11th rounder who inexplicably caught fire in complex ball and was hitting really well at age 18. This is entirely a lottery ticket play by the Dodgers, it'll suck in 3-5 years if he's legit and fans of both teams won't even remember he was traded if he's not.
-Busch is basically Mervis but more highly regarded by scouts. Old for AAA at 26, has spend his entire minor league career breaking sobbing pitchers over his knee, struggled in an intermittent cup of coffee last year, a bit oafish in terms of speed and defense but apparently plays passable 1B/2B/LF
-Almonte is a journeymanish reliever who alternates really good and really bad years like clockwork, so coming off a 5 ERA performance in 2023 he should be a stud for the Cubs in 2024. Can hit >95 on his fastball which instantly makes him one of the hardest throwers on the entire roster.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

Going by bawfuls reaction, we got fleeced and that pitcher is their Kershaw replacement.
My reaction is based on Cubs fans being bummed to see Ferris go, random tweets pumping up Ferris, Busch having no place on the Dodgers roster, and a general faith in the Dodgers player development system to get something good out of a high-ceiling prospect.

Don't read too much into it, I hadn't heart of Ferris or Hope an hour ago.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Did Busch make big strides with the glove last season? He has like a 20-grade fielding tool in every scouting report I've seen (it has actually gone down over the last few years.)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Ferris has a high ceiling but he is 19. Seems like a pretty reasonable deal on both sides.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I mean, whatever, a high-A prospect is a high-A prospect, but I do think Ferris is going to be very good. Busch seems like another mediocre putz to throw on the pile with guys like Madrigal, Mastrobuoni and Mervis. There are major league players on the free agent market. You don’t need to trade a good prospect for another AAAA guy. Ugh.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

Did Busch make big strides with the glove last season? He has like a 20-grade fielding tool in every scouting report I've seen (it has actually gone down over the last few years.)

Oh I have no idea. I just assume they're plugging him there because their current 3B option seems like Madrigal.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Y'all are crazy. TINSTAAPP. And I like Busch a hell of a lot better than the in-house 3B options.

But then again I'm a simple kind of man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZTRzVMT6QQ

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah he apparently put a bunch of work in to at least be passable at 1B/2B, but then the Dodgers mostly stuck him at 3B where he was dogshit.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Busch's ZIPs projection is a .243/.326/.453 line with a 109 OPS+. That's... pretty solid? Ferris may end up being real good, but he's 19 and a pitcher and thus might have his arm fall off before he sees the bigs.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Trading some teenagers for a well-regarded (if old) major-league ready hitting prospect and immediately freaking out that he’s a worthless AAAA flop that we overpaid for is next-level Cubsposting

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Wayne Knight posted:

Mervis to the Mariners

CALLED IT

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's also possible the Cubs plan to swing around and flip Busch, who is still regarded as a top 100 prospect, in a bigger deal. There were rumors awhile back the Cubs were trying to swing both Bieber and Naylor from Cleveland (idk why any team would want to trade either but Cleveland is cheap so :shrug:) and maybe Busch would be attractive to them as an MLB-ready guy who they could pitch as the 1B of the future. If that trade were to happen though it would cost actual top prospects people would get mad about losing like Cassie or Alcantara. Also would probably involve sending Morel back over.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
lol, we DFA'd that random Colorado catcher to make room for Busch and Almonte.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

If Busch can play 3B at all then I'm down

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

Trading some teenagers for a well-regarded (if old) major-league ready hitting prospect and immediately freaking out that he’s a worthless AAAA flop that we overpaid for is next-level Cubsposting

I mean they traded a high ceiling pitching prospect for a AAAA guy so they won't have to spend actual money on Matt Chapman or someone else who can play 3rd. It's not the trade that's bad, it's them using their farm system to save the Ricketts from spending money. Small market poo poo.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

it seems like his record at third is pretty grim

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Busch in 89 MLB PAs: .167/.247/.292
Mervis in 99 MLB PAs: .167/.242/.289

Chill out, everyone

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm seein' double! Four Mervises!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's weird to call him a AAAA guy when he hasn't had enough MLB ABs to really say anything about him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Chill out, everyone

I will not worship your False Mervis

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

I shall call him Mini Merv

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

Mervisn't

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Chill out, everyone

This is Mervising.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Stealing this for future GDTs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

He was extremely bad at it last year and seems more likely destined for 1B.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Chill out, everyone

lmao uncanny