Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's not enough that you run your display very bright. You need to have static interface elements on screen at the same spot every day for several hours a day. If you're not doing that, then you're not likely to see any noticeable burn-in. If you are, then you could scrutinize the picture with some full-screen red, green, and blue colors displayed, along with 50% grey. If you can spot some minor defects doing that, then maybe it's time to run a manual compensation cycle and/or switch up the way you arrange your windows. Otherwise don't worry too much about it and continue going about your business.

As for MLA, that's not really a panel type like OLED or LCD. It's just a layer of tiny lenses you can put into a panel to reduce the amount of light scattering that happens, improving the percentage of produced light that actually leaves the panel (you'd be surprised by how much is usually lost). LG is currently using MLA with some of its WOLED TVs (G series and up) and all of its WOLED monitors. It's being credited with a pretty big improvement to the panels' overall brightness, but there's been no real change to the color range or contrast or anything (colors are still pretty good but behind qd-oled, contrast is still perfect). With monitors, it seems LG is being much more conservative and isn't using MLA to improve brightness, but to improve panel longevity instead. The OLED compounds can be treated more gently while still achieving acceptable brightness thanks to MLA.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Trialing out stacked monitors. Due to desk/apartment constraints (speakers, really wanting a centered monitor), I can't really make them work side by side. Initially wished the top monitor could be set higher, so that I could move both of them up, but after fiddling with my chair height/recline, I don't mind their current height. The "seam" where the two monitors meet is basically center of my vision whether I'm sitting up or leaning back.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

has anyone side-graded from 34" to 32"?
the new alienware 32" 4k oled looks to be an interesting upgrade from my current alienware UW

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Trialing out stacked monitors. Due to desk/apartment constraints (speakers, really wanting a centered monitor), I can't really make them work side by side. Initially wished the top monitor could be set higher, so that I could move both of them up, but after fiddling with my chair height/recline, I don't mind their current height. The "seam" where the two monitors meet is basically center of my vision whether I'm sitting up or leaning back.

Hey split keyboard buddy. Where did you get your coiled trrs cable?
I just bought the voyager and looking for nice cables.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

xgalaxy posted:

Hey split keyboard buddy. Where did you get your coiled trrs cable?
I just bought the voyager and looking for nice cables.

It came with my Iris. Seems like you can order it standalone from Keebio here though it isn't as fancy/braided/colorful as other options out there.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

notably it's not a TRRS cable, keebio are unusual in using USB-C cables for the interconnect

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

repiv posted:

notably it's not a TRRS cable, keebio are unusual in using USB-C cables for the interconnect

As expensive as the voyager is they should have done the same 😂

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Just chuck your speakers behind your monitors like I did!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

xgalaxy posted:

As expensive as the voyager is they should have done the same 😂

yeah TRRS is the standard in DIY kits because its easy to solder but fully assembled boards can really do better

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I havent purchased computer hardware in ages, let alone bleeding edge desired stuff - how do I make sure I have a 32" 4K OLED monitor on my desk in the next 30-60 days?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Honestly, I have no idea how to guarantee you get in on the first wave of shipments. Dell will begin selling the AW3225QF on the 11th on their web store, but I don't know at what time or how long inventory will last. The AW3423DW sold out pretty quickly, and people who got in late had to wait for months to receive their order, but there are a ton more models announced now, and I imagine availability will be much better. You can probably just take it easy and grab whatever has the best reviews in 2 - 3 months after the dust settles.

edit: that's the rational argument. the irrational side of me says i want this monitor yesterday, so i'm absolutely going to be trying to get one

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 10, 2024

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Moey posted:

You having any of the issues that popped for on mine? (M32U-AE, I assume same panels).

While connected to my TB4 dock (Caldigit TS4) via DP, it recently started to just blip black did a second or two, happens maybe 6 times a workday. It doesn't reboot (no splash screen), just seems to renegotiate the display connection.

I've also started having it display get stuck with large grayscale and neon color scheme when switching input from dock to Xbox series X. Only way to fix that is to reboot monitor.

I just opened a ticket/claim with gigabyte tonight.

After the world's slowest troubleshooting back and forth, they will accept my monitor for "repair". No ability to cross ship a replacement.

I'm not debating on if this is even worth it. I'm wondering if this is all tied to input switching and/or HDR. Probably going to disable HDR on every device connecting and see if that resolves anything.

Edit. One quick Google and apparently RMA is the answer.

Welp, downsizing to a 25" 1440p primary for a month or so.

Moey fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 10, 2024

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So fyi, I posted a few weeks back about that LG monitor that was 27", 4K, and had 1,560 zone miniLED. Seemed decent/promising?

Well it's available on LG's website now, for $799 (currently $500 off already?), which seems like a pretty good deal. https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gr95um-gaming-monitor

DVG 0031, do you have any thoughts/opinions on it? Here's the TFT Central article announcing it, for reference: https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/lg-27gr95um-with-27-4k-160hz-1560-zone-mini-led-backlight-and-a-tw-polarizer

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A couple observations on the AW3225QF: it doesn't support DP alt mode through its USB C port, and it only does 15W of power delivery. And there's no audio port or any other kind of integrated audio interface, it seems. The HDMI eARC port is a neat trick, but if you use your monitor's audio interface then you'll have to come up with a different solution with this monitor. This is especially annoying if you want to hook up some consoles to it and don't want to use eARC. This actually throws a wrench into my current audio setup, which relies on my monitor's audio interface for my consoles. Bleh. (edit: I've decided to just use a usb to 3.5mm dongle from google for my ps5's audio, though figuring this out was annoying too because the ps5 doesn't actually support most modern usb audio devices. double bleh.)

Canned Sunshine posted:

So fyi, I posted a few weeks back about that LG monitor that was 27", 4K, and had 1,560 zone miniLED. Seemed decent/promising?

Well it's available on LG's website now, for $799 (currently $500 off already?), which seems like a pretty good deal. https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gr95um-gaming-monitor

DVG 0031, do you have any thoughts/opinions on it? Here's the TFT Central article announcing it, for reference: https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/lg-27gr95um-with-27-4k-160hz-1560-zone-mini-led-backlight-and-a-tw-polarizer

I bet it's pretty good, and at $800, that's not a bad price either. There aren't any real reviews for it though, so it's a risky buy.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 10, 2024

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

HUB Tim sums up all the new OLED monitors coming (that have been announced so far):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJf6iBDIyOc

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Canned Sunshine posted:

I'm strongly considering this at that price. I'm currently using an Acer Predator XB271HU-bmiprz but it doesn't have Freesync support and I have recently switched to AMD so I have lost VRR. I have windows opened side-by-side 24/7 so I don't think OLED would be good for my use case.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Are there any listings these 'gaming monitors' or nice ones like them that doesn't include the word 'gaming' in the name? I want to get my company to buy be one for work.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Canned Sunshine posted:

Incidentally the INNOCN 27M2V is now discounted to $599 on Amazon. This is probably the closest competitor to the LG 27GR95UM in terms of panel picture quality. It's a 27" 4K IPS with around 1000 backlight zones, I believe. It gets high marks from RTINGS in terms of its picture quality, but it's shoddily built with buggy firmware. And it has inconsistent quality control, with complaints about coil whine on some units when using HDR.

I'd probably still go with the LG monitor here, even if you have to spend 33% more on it. High-end UltraGear monitors are quality products that are built well and have good, usable firmware. And I trust them when it comes to quality control much more than I do INNOCN. Not to mention RMA fulfillment. And with an LG panel with 35% more backlight zones and an A-TW polarizer (eliminates IPS glow), I bet it'll just be a better looking display all around.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 11, 2024

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Ohhh, finally we have 32" 4K OLED screens coming. Makes me wish I held off when I bought my 42 C2 in November '22. I love everything about it except the size. It's looking like the LG 32" WOLED screen coming in later would be a decent slot in if I'm happy with this screen, but would prefer a 32" footprint.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Anti-Hero posted:

Ohhh, finally we have 32" 4K OLED screens coming. Makes me wish I held off when I bought my 42 C2 in November '22. I love everything about it except the size. It's looking like the LG 32" WOLED screen coming in later would be a decent slot in if I'm happy with this screen, but would prefer a 32" footprint.

:same:

But I might hold off buying anything until all the competition and reviews are in and the c2 is perfect to do that with.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

ethanol posted:

:same:

But I might hold off buying anything until all the competition and reviews are in and the c2 is perfect to do that with.

Exactly! It's a little big for FPS games but I've made it work.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Incidentally the INNOCN 27M2V is now discounted to $599 on Amazon. This is probably the closest competitor to the LG 27GR95UM in terms of panel picture quality. It's a 27" 4K IPS with around 1000 backlight zones, I believe. It gets high marks from RTINGS in terms of its picture quality, but it's shoddily built with buggy firmware. And it has inconsistent quality control, with complaints about coil whine on some units when using HDR.

I'd probably still go with the LG monitor here, even if you have to spend 33% more on it. High-end UltraGear monitors are quality products that are built well and have good, usable firmware. And I trust them when it comes to quality control much more than I do INNOCN. Not to mention RMA fulfillment. And with an LG panel with 35% more backlight zones and an A-TW polarizer (eliminates IPS glow), I bet it'll just be a better looking display all around.

Thanks! Yeah, I think I have a little more confidence in LG also. I had been highly tempted to pick up the AW3225QF but when I saw this had become available in the US, seems to hit all the boxes I was looking for. I did like the size of my Odyssey Neo G7, so I'm going to decide whether to try and sell it or just hang on to it and eventually hand it off to my oldest kid when he'd be ready to have his own system in a year or so.

Kibner posted:

I'm strongly considering this at that price. I'm currently using an Acer Predator XB271HU-bmiprz but it doesn't have Freesync support and I have recently switched to AMD so I have lost VRR. I have windows opened side-by-side 24/7 so I don't think OLED would be good for my use case.

I did end up ordering it, and went ahead and paid the $9 for expedited shipping to get it here Friday since I'm impatient and also might not be home much on Monday or Tuesday next week in case there are delivery shenanigans. I can report back once it's here and run any tests I can that you might be interested in!

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I've got a Gigabyte M27Q as part of my setup that I've been happy with for the last ~3 years until just now, when I stepped out of my home office for 10min and returned to see it dead and smell the distinct electrical fire/"magic smoke" scent in the air, coming from the vents on the back of its case. I can't get it to turn on at all, even into power-led-flashing standby mode. I also can't figure out how to get the case off in order to see if there's any obvious physical damage, but it does smell like it zapped itself.

1. Any troubleshooting steps I should be doing that I'm not thinking of, or am I right that it's just hosed?

2. What's the current recommended replacement for a 27" 1440p HRR gaming monitor? I'd been using the M27Q's KVM functionality as the heart of my setup but honestly wouldn't mind swapping the K/M part of that out for a dedicated USB switcher either, so would take recs for that too if the current monitor rec doesn't do that.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Scythe posted:

I've got a Gigabyte M27Q as part of my setup that I've been happy with for the last ~3 years until just now, when I stepped out of my home office for 10min and returned to see it dead and smell the distinct electrical fire/"magic smoke" scent in the air, coming from the vents on the back of its case. I can't get it to turn on at all, even into power-led-flashing standby mode. I also can't figure out how to get the case off in order to see if there's any obvious physical damage, but it does smell like it zapped itself.

1. Any troubleshooting steps I should be doing that I'm not thinking of, or am I right that it's just hosed?

2. What's the current recommended replacement for a 27" 1440p HRR gaming monitor? I'd been using the M27Q's KVM functionality as the heart of my setup but honestly wouldn't mind swapping the K/M part of that out for a dedicated USB switcher either, so would take recs for that too if the current monitor rec doesn't do that.

When did you buy it? Check the warranty, it's probably 3 years

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It sure sounds like it's just hosed. Most likely it could be fixed by swapping out the control board, but getting replacements isn't easy, nor is the repair process something regular users should do.

Basic LCD tech hasn't really advanced much since the M27Q's release, at least not in the M27Q's midrange price bracket. The one exception might be the AOC Q27G3XMN, which has a mini led backlight and an acceptably fast VA panel, meaning it's pretty impressive with HDR content and still good for gaming too, despite having a sub-$300 price. HDR and mini-led backlights can be a little fiddly, and not a lot of content supports HDR still. But if you're interested in that then it could be a decent replacement, though it doesn't have a KVM switch or any USB functionality at all. KVM functionality isn't particularly common, so if you want that then maybe you should just grab another M27Q: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JWCHR5N

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The new Dell QD-OLEDs are available in the US and Canada:

AW2725DF: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/apd/210-BLJD
AW3225QF: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/apd/210-BLMQ

US store links, but they're on the dell canada store too.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Now that the embargoes are lifted, I can post that the AW3225QF is the best monitor I've ever used in my life. Still working on a full review but jesus christ this thing looks good, and it doesn't use a power brick. I would buy one just for day-to-day work if I could swing $1,200, it's bright enough to use for spreadsheets/word docs and doesn't rapidly fluctuate in brightness depending on what's onscreen like other OLED monitors I've tried in the past.

change my name fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 11, 2024

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Any noticeable issues with the factory calibration or HDR performance? Have you noticed any VRR flicker?

edit: Also there seems to be a fan in it. is it audible?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 11, 2024

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Any noticeable issues with the factory calibration or HDR performance? Have you noticed any VRR flicker?

edit: Also there seems to be a fan in it. is it audible?

Factory calibration is legit right out of the box and HDR performance is great but pretty much no PC game supports Dolby Vision right now so you'll just see the logo in the corner on your desktop appear and then it turns off in games. Pretty lame but I guess it's nice future-proofing.

As for the fan, I never noticed so it must be super quiet. I will say that oddly I can feel the heat kicking off the panel if I get closer than about 20 inches to it, but that's not a big issue. Honestly, my biggest problems have been typical Windows things so far. Signal dropping down to 120Hz and only going back to 240Hz when I switched DP ports on my graphics card, for instance.

Edit: the curve is mild enough as to be unnoticeable

change my name fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 11, 2024

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I hope the flat panels are just as good, because I definitely don't want a curve. Still not sure if I want to be an early adopter, but I'm very tempted.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I just ordered the 32", gonna return the AW3821DW I bought earlier.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

K8.0 posted:

I hope the flat panels are just as good, because I definitely don't want a curve. Still not sure if I want to be an early adopter, but I'm very tempted.
i use 2 curved ultrawide monitors at home and 3 flat ones in the office and i greatly prefer the curve. curved tvs are bad but it's nice on a monitor

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I've had an 1800R ultrawide for years. I think curves are poo poo no matter the display size, and if it had not been for a need to try to make lovely VA displays look less bad at larger sizes, the trend never would have started. The idea that it's somehow more optimized for your eye is laughable. There's nothing you look at that is curved like a curved monitor, including the projection in games.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Was there some EU launch dates posted for the new OLEDs? Wanna buy monitor

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

When did you buy it? Check the warranty, it's probably 3 years

You know, I would've assumed I was past the date but the warranty is still active until this April. Submitted a service request. Thanks!

It sure sounds like it's just hosed. Most likely it could be fixed by swapping out the control board, but getting replacements isn't easy, nor is the repair process something regular users should do.

Basic LCD tech hasn't really advanced much since the M27Q's release, at least not in the M27Q's midrange price bracket...

Thanks. I don't care about HDR on this monitor, so I guess there's no exciting new developments here. I briefly started to look into M27Q alternatives but getting a standalone USB switcher + a USB-C to DP/HDMI adapter + etc. is kind of a hassle with maybe no real upside. Feels a bit silly to order a replacement M27Q while I wait for the warranty fulfillment (since I don't want to wait the whole month or whatever), but I guess that might be the move.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Scythe posted:

You know, I would've assumed I was past the date but the warranty is still active until this April. Submitted a service request. Thanks!

Nice win! Always check, I guess.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I'm going to probably stick with the LG given my fears about burn in, but part of me just wants to order the 32" now and not have any regrets later...

I have a stash of too many monitors now though as it is that I don't know what to do with.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Thirst Mutilator posted:

I am jealous of that window setup, it looks perfect for being able to look at a 180 view while working

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

tildes posted:

I am jealous of that window setup, it looks perfect for being able to look at a 180 view while working

It's a saving grace of being somewhat forced to fit a desk here, due to the room layout. Two downsides are it being west facing (meaning I have to adjust the blinds to prevent the sun being directly in my eyes as the day goes on) and the windows only overlooking a one way street with little people watching, but I'll take any view and natural light over a wall and having to figure out lighting in my room.

More topically, all these OLED panels look so nice, and have me rethinking the M27U I bought at $500, but I could barely justify that price and I'm still a little on the fence of its worth - I doubt I'd be able to justify the price of an OLED for a mixed coding/gaming use. Hoping that in 3 years a 4K OLED comes down to something like what I paid for this M27U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Canned Sunshine posted:

I'm going to probably stick with the LG given my fears about burn in, but part of me just wants to order the 32" now and not have any regrets later...

I have a stash of too many monitors now though as it is that I don't know what to do with.

Dells Warranty was always pretty dope in the past, though that might have changed. I also assume you can extend the standard 3 year to 5, if you are really concerned

quote:

Warranty
Specifications - Service / Support Details
3-Year Advanced Exchange Service and Premium Panel Exchange (Including coverage for OLED burn in)