Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

a car jesus christ was nailed (bolted?) to a cross.

fastened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

incredible pit crew work on the crucifixion

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

some sort of even more hosed up vehicle died millions of years ago in an asteroid impact

the Cars universe dinosaurs were regular dinosaurs, actually, as the oil company Dinoco was named after them and has a regular-looking dinosaur in its logo

Whatever point the Cars universe split off from ours at, it was after dinosaurs roamed the Earth

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

dipstick of longinus

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

dipstick of longinus

oh man you don't even wanna KNOW what the cars use dipsticks for

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
car jesus was a tucker and he was fastened to a steel girder with rivets by the detroit automakers. they made a special about it and its surprisingly not antisemitic at all.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

really though the fact that the cars contain seats suggests that they were created by humans, who then died out in some sort of cataclysm, and the cars inherited the earth

the seats themselves appear to be the only memorial the cars left to their creators, though. maybe the cars rebelled?

I'd be curious to see Cars Mt Rushmore or the Cars Statue of Liberty but I don't think they were ever pictured

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Justin Tyme posted:

theres planes in the cars universe but theyre anthropomorphic. do the cars ride inside the planes? would cars 9/11 just be a pair of single, living airliners crashing into the world trade center or a living airliner full of cars? are there trains? did chinese migrant cars get exploited to build railways in california in the 1800s for living trains? are the trains subservient to cars, or vice versa?

disney opened a can of worms here...

Yes to all of this

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Cars 3 has an old ww2 veteran jeep named Sarge talk about being in combat during ww2.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
are the guns just mounted on the cars or do the cars shoot the guns with their tires

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Yes to all of this

:hmmyes: cars and trains practice a complicated system of power exchange

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

dipstick of longinus

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
disney doing a dark gritty cars reboot and putting it on FX on Hulu. i see this in my crystal ball.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Grey Fox posted:

distressed Spider-Gwen fans are showing up more and more in my social media feeds and it's hard not to agree with them about how the books are being handled. most recent example:

Is this meant to be a parody of that infamous Spider Woman drawing that people made back in the 00s?

EDIT: https://screenrant.com/marvel-controversy-spider-woman-cover-milo-manara-comics/

It was from 2014.

Eric Cantonese has issued a correction as of 19:18 on Jan 11, 2024

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Also a reminder that the beloved minions characters also helped hitler.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

disney doing a dark gritty cars reboot and putting it on FX on Hulu. i see this in my crystal ball.

datsuns of anarchy

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mr Hootington posted:

Cars 3 has an old ww2 veteran jeep named Sarge talk about being in combat during ww2.

a car teruo nakamura

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Owen Wilson repeats as Lightning McQueen in a polarizing move

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It is fun to apply adult logic to kid movies sometimes.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Mr Hootington posted:

Also a reminder that the beloved minions characters also helped hitler.
They had to explicitly say they were trapped in a cave from the 30s to the 60s lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Knight posted:

They had to explicitly say they were trapped in a cave from the 30s to the 60s lol

did they resort to cannibalism during that period

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

cars period piece with jousting cars riding car horses

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A Car Knight's Tale

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Borderlands has the worst writing of any AAA gaming franchise, its almost impressive how bad and grating it is

worse with each successor too which is really quite impressive

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

the borderlands 2 writer's wive left him and took the Wii U, one can't help but wonder why.......

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

im glad elis wife left him

he sucks

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

did they resort to cannibalism during that period

its not taboo for them to eat their young in survival situations

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

God Hole posted:

all those great battle-of-wits scenes between Arya and Tywin were completely invented for the show too, which lured a lot of GoT readers into a false sense of security that the showrunners would have been able to smoothly transition once they'd run out of book. owned.

Man I love Charles Dance. I know they ran out of book material after Season 4, but I think his absence also played a big part in the shows drop off after Season 4. He was so good at playing the big bad and nobody really filled that role as good after his death.

I miss scenes on TV this good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqlBYmWafZQ

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
its weird they avoid hitler but this kind of stuff is okay

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

The titular analogy of the middle 3BP book, The Dark Forest, is one of the stupidest things I've ever read. I enjoyed the original but the rest definitely have the contemporary scifi/fantasy problem of "we have a successful start to a series and editing will only slow things down"

At the end of that book the two human spaceships both get into infinite loops of "Destroying them would benefit me, and likewise them, and they know that I know this and so destroying them is the only way to guarantee survival because they know that I know that they know that I know that they know. " and then both fire on each other

Someone opens the door to a car and finds it's exactly like the inside of a Cylon raider.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

skooma512 posted:

Someone opens the door to a car and finds it's exactly like the inside of a Cylon raider.

Also works as a Knight Rider reboot

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

skooma512 posted:

At the end of that book the two human spaceships both get into infinite loops of "Destroying them would benefit me, and likewise them, and they know that I know this and so destroying them is the only way to guarantee survival because they know that I know that they know that I know that they know. " and then both fire on each other

The mutually assured destruction peace is foiled by woman's softness

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Was there a cars operation paperclip? Are spaceships the direct result of eugenics?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

people should instead read the book of the new sun :cheers:

i'll waot for amazon prime video(tm) to produce a tv show, then ill read it after watching the bezo cut

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

skooma512 posted:

the aliens try to kill one specific dude, because he talked to someone else about the idea that there were other, more predatory aliens out there, an idea that clearly no one ever in the history of humanity has ever thought about

this dude then uses his special "targeted by the aliens" status to get the government to give him a dream wife and a cabin in a scenic valley

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Is there a Cars CSPAM, and if so, what's their equivalent of the I Hate Cars thread?

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

I was referring more to the bit where a character says something like "the universe is akin to a dark forest, where you must kill anything that makes itself known because it could kill you first." That's not how any forest or any ecosystem at all works! Any animal that spent time and resources getting into fights with everything it encountered would render itself extinct extremely quickly! loving garbage-rear end analogy I hate it

Also I know I'm late to this but:

Am I losing my goddamn mind here or are they releasing a sequel to the 1996 disaster drama "Twister" with the Alien/Aliens title scheme

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

I was referring more to the bit where a character says something like "the universe is akin to a dark forest, where you must kill anything that makes itself known because it could kill you first." That's not how any forest or any ecosystem at all works! Any animal that spent time and resources getting into fights with everything it encountered would render itself extinct extremely quickly! loving garbage-rear end analogy I hate it
It's not an ecology analogy, but a "literal baby lost in the forest" analogy.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's not an ecology analogy, but a "literal baby lost in the forest" analogy.

That's all the more reason not to fight everything you come across! Like it's clear the end goal was just to have a human vs aliens scenario, invent some bullshit sci-fi nonsense instead of trying to make it sound smart and failing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Also I know I'm late to this but:

Am I losing my goddamn mind here or are they releasing a sequel to the 1996 disaster drama "Twister" with the Alien/Aliens title scheme

they should have called TWISTER F5: THE REFRESH