Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

I really ought to look for a dutch oven with that style lid, but used at a thrift shop. I figure I have 3 more years until my kids are camping-ready, and I have really good memories from my childhood of using it as originally intended, covered in coals.

I take it if I find an enameled one, that's fine? Or will the enamel on the outside react with the hot coals and mustard gas the campsite?

If the lid has a ridge like that I think it's fair game. Probably most people just don't want to spend extra on the really nice enameled ones if they're using it outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

BrianBoitano posted:

I really ought to look for a dutch oven with that style lid, but used at a thrift shop. I figure I have 3 more years until my kids are camping-ready, and I have really good memories from my childhood of using it as originally intended, covered in coals.

I take it if I find an enameled one, that's fine? Or will the enamel on the outside react with the hot coals and mustard gas the campsite?

Enamel is glass, it'll be fine. We use a lodge CI dutch oven with a special lid with a lip for coals.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thanks! Will look out for one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/seamusblackley/status/1744048539549003990?s=46

These are cool friends

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005

Ror posted:

Refurbished KA 8qt Commercial mixers just went back up on their site for $425 and I have been telling myself I'm gonna pull the trigger on my first stand mixer for months, but of course I started doing more research and now I'm second-guessing myself.

Because I want an Ankarsrum (the colors, duke, the colors).

I honestly don't make that much bread in the kitchen, but also because it's work intensive. I've made a bunch of no-knead, some buns, pizza dough, and brioche once. I would love to try homemade bagels and just bake stuff like buns and loaves more frequently instead of getting store-bought. But I've also always wanted a stand mixer for all of the other kitchen tasks like whipping cream and mixing batters on autopilot and I eventually would love to get stuff like meat grinding and pasta rolling attachments.

I'm not too bothered about spending an extra $300 on a machine I'll use for years, I think I'm more worried that I'll regret it if I struggle to do stuff like whipping cream and wish I just had a simple KA-style mixer. I know some people have both and basically just use the Ankarsrum for bread, but I've also seen people say the Ankarsrum does everything better if you know what you're doing. I'd really just like to get one machine and use it for a few years to see how it changes what I do in the kitchen and I know the KA would do that at a lower entry cost, but I'd also love to just get the perfect machine the first time and spend my time learning to use it right.

So I guess I'd just like some goonpinions from people who have used these machines.

I have an Ankarsrum as my only mixer after having a Kitchenaid as my only mixer for several years. The Ankarsrum does bread and pizza dough better. It doesn't do a great job with small quantities of ingredients other than dough. Honestly it doesn't do an amazing job with small quantities of dough either; I've always had to fiddle with the mixer arm a lot while mixing. If you're willing to babysit it a bit more, it does fine, but imo half the point of a stand mixer is that you shouldn't have to babysit it. (Some American recipes tell you to use the dough hook for small amounts of dough. Swedish recipes, which I've been using, favor the dough roller, which seems to work better with more in the bowl.)

If I were whipping cream, I'd usually reach for a hand mixer or stick blender before either of them because it's easier to clean a smaller bowl than a 7-8 quart bowl.

I agree that the whisk attachment for the Ankarsrum feels flimsy, but I haven't used it much. On the other hand, the meat grinder is really solid and well-built.

I chose the Ankarsrum mostly for bread, but also because it seemed like the nicest stand mixer that still had a wide array of attachments available. If I were making the choice again, I'd forget about the attachments and just look at the mixer itself. Messing with the attachments feels like a chore sometimes, especially if I'm using the mixer for multiple parts of a recipe and need to change them out.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The KitchenAid companion cube

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

My review of these salt and pepper mills is that they look very slick, the branding is slightly obnoxious, they deliver a superior grind, they are the perfect size for a table set, but they are so small they are awkward/uncomfortable to grip and turn.

mystes
May 31, 2006

They would be great for a giant chess set where all the pieces are salt or pepper grinders

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Salt mills are dumb as heck. Salt doesn’t need to be grinded. And even if you wanted flaky salt most mills either don’t go that flaky or aren’t consistent and you’ll get a bunch of tiny salt. The better solution is a dual dispenser, one for fine and one for flaky.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Salt mills are dumb as heck. Salt doesn’t need to be grinded. And even if you wanted flaky salt most mills either don’t go that flaky or aren’t consistent and you’ll get a bunch of tiny salt. The better solution is a dual dispenser, one for fine and one for flaky.
That's not enough compartments to have multiple different types of kosher salt with different densities imo

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Gotta keep a masala dabba on the table with nothing but like 9 different salts.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Yes salt grinders are sort of superfluous but have you considered that the manual tells me the sight of it “evokes all the inspirations of today and tomorrow, and embodies the French art of living”, the sound of “teeth chiseled of a precision mechanism releases flavor and announces an experience of taste” and the tactile feel “attests to expert craftsmanship and ergonomics [that part’s a lie] while awakening the senses”.

Does a simple salt shaker awaken the senses and announce the experience of taste? Didn’t think so :smug:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kreeningsons posted:

Yes salt grinders are sort of superfluous but have you considered that the manual tells me the sight of it “evokes all the inspirations of today and tomorrow, and embodies the French art of living”, the sound of “teeth chiseled of a precision mechanism” works to “announce an experience of taste” and the tactile feel “attests to expert craftsmanship and ergonomics [that part’s a lie] while awakening the senses”.

Does a simple salt shaker awaken the senses and announce the experience of taste? Didn’t think so :smug:

You joke but I do think there's more to enjoying food than the taste and the tactile feel of good silverware, grinders, glassware, etc all lean into an overall experience. It's certainly possible to be over the top as you see in that marketing material but I'm really happy using a well designed tool!

mystes
May 31, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

You joke but I do think there's more to enjoying food than the taste and the tactile feel of good silverware, grinders, glassware, etc all lean into an overall experience. It's certainly possible to be over the top as you see in that marketing material but I'm really happy using a well designed tool!
the cooking equivalent of mechanical keyboards

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Nah if anything I’m waiting for a deal on a 7 quart and then I’d sell off my 5.5

Just curious why they would make a tall one. It seems like it wouldn’t collect heat as well from a burner, would be harder to stir

SubG posted:

Probably nice if you're using your dutch oven for deep frying.

Exactly this.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

kreeningsons posted:

Yes salt grinders are sort of superfluous but have you considered that the manual tells me the sight of it “evokes all the inspirations of today and tomorrow, and embodies the French art of living”, the sound of “teeth chiseled of a precision mechanism releases flavor and announces an experience of taste” and the tactile feel “attests to expert craftsmanship and ergonomics [that part’s a lie] while awakening the senses”.

You're right, that $50 french salt pig doesn't have overwrought ad copy

quote:

An original tool to keep on your countertop, our salt pig enables you to add salt to your dishes quickly and easily. Its non-glazed interior stops your sea salt sticking together. All Emile Henry products are made in France and offer a ten years guarantee.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why the hell does non-coarse kosher salt even exist, and why did I buy it?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Why the hell does non-coarse kosher salt even exist, and why did I buy it?
all kosher salt is coarse, some is just coarser than others

I think iodized salt, morton's, and diamond are like 7g, 5g, and 3g per teaspoon or something like that?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Internet Explorer posted:

I think a wok-style pan is better, no need for the oil in the bottom when everything floats to the top.
Yeah a wok's great if you're frying little bits and bobs, but for bigger stuff the fact that you have to use a shitload more oil for the same depth starts to hurt.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
In 2020, I bought a small chest freezer because the consumer meat packaging shortages meant that the best reliable meat supply was in bulk from the restaurant suppliers. I dealt with that for a while, but as consumer supply came back, it was unplugged in a corner by the end of 2021.

In 2022 I started my quest for pizza. It took me about a year to figure out that the root of my inconsistent poolish problem was my kitchen: it is open plan, and with my tightwad HVAC usage the counter has 10-20° swings in a 24 hour period. Last summer I took a page from the homebrewers and converted my chest freezer into an improvised lagering fridge (properly known in baking as a retarder), and using it basically solved my poolish reliability problems. Last month I added a heating pad to make it into a proofer-retarder, because the chill of winter is here. However, when I was trying to dial in the thermostat I found that there was a critical element missing: continuous monitoring. Last week I obtained the tools to prove my proofer: a bluetooth temperature probe and a datalogger. For the last few days I've been playing with arrangements to keep it in the goldilocks zone:

:getin:

Now I'm going to make a loving pizza.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

In 2020, I bought a small chest freezer because the consumer meat packaging shortages meant that the best reliable meat supply was in bulk from the restaurant suppliers. I dealt with that for a while, but as consumer supply came back, it was unplugged in a corner by the end of 2021.

In 2022 I started my quest for pizza. It took me about a year to figure out that the root of my inconsistent poolish problem was my kitchen: it is open plan, and with my tightwad HVAC usage the counter has 10-20° swings in a 24 hour period. Last summer I took a page from the homebrewers and converted my chest freezer into an improvised lagering fridge (properly known in baking as a retarder), and using it basically solved my poolish reliability problems. Last month I added a heating pad to make it into a proofer-retarder, because the chill of winter is here. However, when I was trying to dial in the thermostat I found that there was a critical element missing: continuous monitoring. Last week I obtained the tools to prove my proofer: a bluetooth temperature probe and a datalogger. For the last few days I've been playing with arrangements to keep it in the goldilocks zone:

Why not just put the dough in the oven with the oven light on for proofing? I thought that's the generally recommended way!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Oven light will get to the 100 degree fermenting range, super fast. Let's you do a sourdough bun in a day.

Pizza and those temps are for like a 3 day ferment for the most technical Neapolitan.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I did the oven light thing at first, but that doesn't work in the summertime. And once I had the chamber set up anyway, well, I just went for it.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I bought the collapsible proofer box they sell because it’s big enough for home use and easy to clean and sanitize. But not really scalable.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I had a 30 plus year old cuisinart food processor that I managed to tear apart with my bare hands during a move (the plastic got brittle and the foot got stuck to the counter) and a decade old blender that seems to want to give up the ghost.

What are cheap replacements for both that are fairly effective? I use the blender primarily for pureeing sauces, beans, soups, etc. I used the food processor for grating cheese, certain doughs, and salsas.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

fr0id posted:

I had a 30 plus year old cuisinart food processor that I managed to tear apart with my bare hands during a move (the plastic got brittle and the foot got stuck to the counter) and a decade old blender that seems to want to give up the ghost.

What are cheap replacements for both that are fairly effective? I use the blender primarily for pureeing sauces, beans, soups, etc. I used the food processor for grating cheese, certain doughs, and salsas.

I have an Oster blender and a Hamilton Beach food processor from Target. Neither are particularly heavy duty but they handle the kind of stuff you (& I) do most often so I don't mind recommending those. My only complaint on the processor is that it's a little finicky to clean but it's fine.

Others will probably have nicer/more robust recommendations, surely!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

fr0id posted:

You're using the blender for Real Blender poo poo already so I have to say you're the correct person for a Vitamix or Blendtec blender. Look for factory refurbs! My Blendtec is a refurb that's now over ten years old and is in exactly the same working condition it was on day 1. Be aware all these actually good blenders are fairly loud.

For the processor I would honestly get the smallest Cuisinart processor you can get away with. I have a very cheap and small one and it works fantastic for the small jobs I have for it.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

You can get a digital temperature controller from companies like inkbird that will do a pretty good job of regulating a cheap fridge or freezer. No logging/monitoring, but might get you tighter temp regulation

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

fr0id posted:

I feel like I chime in with this every time the topic comes up, but you can get some great Vitamix deals by buying used on eBay. Those things last forever and ever, you can buy an old one and still be totally confident making a smoothie in there.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Frank Dillinger posted:

You can get a digital temperature controller from companies like inkbird that will do a pretty good job of regulating a cheap fridge or freezer. No logging/monitoring, but might get you tighter temp regulation

I bought the Inkbird themostat for ghetto sous vide years ago, and repurposed it for the external controller on the freezer. It works well enough when it's not unplugged for winter.

It's already less than 1 degree of drift, I don't think I am going to get a tighter envelope without a 3rd layer of insulation or doubling my heating bill.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

prayer group posted:

I feel like I chime in with this every time the topic comes up, but you can get some great Vitamix deals by buying used on eBay. Those things last forever and ever, you can buy an old one and still be totally confident making a smoothie in there.

Seconding Vitamix. You can find a great refurbished Vitamix for $275.

If your budget is closer to $100, Ninja's blenders are outstanding. I had a Ninja before I bought my Vitamix, and it was far better than other blenders in its price range.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I use an Inkbird controller and a seedling heatmat for my proofing drawer.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Aramoro posted:

I use an Inkbird controller and a seedling heatmat for my proofing drawer.

cool to hear you can do this because I was just thinking about how, when my seedlings are finished, my existing mat/thermostat can maintain 70-whatever degrees without issue and would probably work great for proofing

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Our Anova Precision Oven sucks in some ways because it’s from the first batch and can’t update the firmware which means I can’t use the app so I can’t use it as an air fryer or do some other stuff like “start broiling once it gets to this temperature then stop after 10 mins” (I think)

Even in its impaired state, though, it’s a godsend for proofing bread, with or without steam involved.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

All that and tile countertops, smh

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mystes posted:

all kosher salt is coarse, some is just coarser than others

I think iodized salt, morton's, and diamond are like 7g, 5g, and 3g per teaspoon or something like that?

A teaspoon of this stuff is apparently 4g if I trust my scale, but it’s super fine.

It’s this stuff, and I hate it

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
you’re crazy

e: I mean if you’ve only ever used mortons it’s whatever, mortons is fine if you don’t know any better

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 11, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sure, but I still want actually coarse salt!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh weird I had interpreted "coarse" as the opposite of "dense" and thought you were complaining about morton's kosher salt being too dense but you actually meant rough in texture and were actually complaining about diamond not being dense enough?

There are probably applications where salt with bigger granules is useful (e.g. salt on the exterior of a pretzel) but I think the reason diamond salt is so popular is because the low density and flaky texture make it really easy to sprinkle on stuff evenly without adding too much salt (when you're mixing it into stuff I don't think the texture makes any difference, though; you just have to adjust for density if you're using volumetric measurements)

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah I want larger granules for sprinkling because I find I get more hotspots with the finer stuff. It’s harder to control the rate of release with the finer salt.

I should just learn to sprinkle better, but I have to teach my kids too…