Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Speaking of subscription services that shouldn't be, there's a company called "Leaf Guard" and they install gutters with a cover to keep out debris.

Up front cost of installation, then a monthly fee after that. A subscription. To rain gutters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My place came with a "free transferable warranty" for the basement waterproofing, what does that entail a year after it was originally done? 1) Nothing involving the actual drainage or workmanship or information/plans on what was done. No spot repairs or even re-taping spots that are coming loose. Excuses for the poor concrete laying and cracking 2) Manufacture's warranty on the sump pump. 3) An attempt to sell a second sump pump because the original work was obviously not scoped for the sq footage. 4) an attempt to sell crawl space waterproofing. 5) an attempt to sell a replacement for the in warranty sump pump 6) an attempt to sell new basement windows 7) an attempt to sell a yearly service to hear these very same upsales.

Holy gently caress what a waste of time. Some people pay over 100$ a year to get a salesperson in their house.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

redshirt posted:

Speaking of subscription services that shouldn't be, there's a company called "Leaf Guard" and they install gutters with a cover to keep out debris.

Up front cost of installation, then a monthly fee after that. A subscription. To rain gutters.

I don't know about subscriptions, but one of my neighbors got these and almost immediately dozens of birds built nests in/on his gutters. Sucks to be him but I get to watch birds.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Vampire Panties posted:

I also stopped wearing my Apple Watch; i couldnt think of a single thing I wanted to be notified about bad enough to wear a second cell phone on my wrist. Plus the fitness tracking (on the 6 series anyway) was pretty weak. It started to feel like a scold I wore that I had to charge every day.

My partner got me one for my birthday last year, and I was pretty meh about it before and when I got it. However, it has a few neat features that I could live without but would be annoying now that I am used to it. I have an authentication app for work I used 20 times a day, and pressing a button on my watch is easier than pulling out my phone every time. I also really like the haptic/vibration alarm for waking me up in the morning. The walkie-talkie feature is also useful because we have a 7 year old who walks to her friends house across the block, and we can just give her my partner's Apple Watch when she leaves so we can see where she is and message her when its time to come home. It's also nice for working out because I can set timers on my wrist instead of doing it on my phone.

All this stuff is very minor and I could easily live without. I would definitely not buy one for myself though, especially the new ones that are like $700.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

bossy lady posted:

Did you name your car "Nichijou"

Nichijou 2: My Ordinary Car.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

redshirt posted:

:psyduck:

So what happens if your neighbor cancels their subscription? Does Leaf Guard come out and take the gutters off the house?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

:psyduck:

So what happens if your neighbor cancels their subscription? Does Leaf Guard come out and take the gutters off the house?

I choose to believe this is actually just run-of-the-mill predatory financing. Subscription is just another word for "pay a bit every month", and it further obfuscate the 27.5% terrible APR. So not paying would actually be defaulting on a loan in that case.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 11, 2024

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Aramis posted:

I choose to believe this is actually just run-of-the-mill predatory financing. Subscription is just another word for "pay a bit every month", and it further obfuscate the 27.5% APR.

I don't see subscription options in n their site but there is financing https://www.leafguard.com/financing

quote:

Assumes a LeafGuard Gutter installed job cost of $7,883)
$99 Installation! $99/Month!*

“With a purchase of a $7,883 LeafGuard System* with a Synchrony Home Design Credit Card.”
Seems pretty traditional

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

mawarannahr posted:

I don't see subscription options in n their site but there is financing https://www.leafguard.com/financing

Seems pretty traditional

Good lord. You can buy those things for $70/30ft of guards. I guess if you had a giant multistory home installation gets to be a problem.

Toyota's subscription thing has more or less ensured that when I decide to sell my Rav, it won't be for a new Toyota.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Aramis posted:

I choose to believe this is actually just run-of-the-mill predatory financing. Subscription is just another word for "pay a bit every month", and it further obfuscate the 27.5% terrible APR. So not paying would actually be defaulting on a loan in that case.

Yeah I'm subscription sensitive these days, so it is more of a loan. I guess the difference would be: Finance charges, and a loan has an end date, whereas a subscription is theoretically forever.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

redshirt posted:

Yeah I'm subscription sensitive these days, so it is more of a loan. I guess the difference would be: Finance charges, and a loan has an end date, whereas a subscription is theoretically forever.

Can't really blame you. An 11 (!) year loan on gutters might as well be a subscription.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Can't wait until the day someone's car overheats on the freeway because it was part of a Bitcoin mining botnet

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
my development PC at work only has 100gb for insane reasons and I just found out the IT automation thing that installs software was sitting on 25gb of "Cache" that upon being deleted caused nothing to happen

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The Ford app is free and maintains a complete electronic maintenance record (including super easy upload of third party records) in addition to remote start/lock/unlock. And remote start is still on the key fob too. I like it a lot but wouldn't pay a monthly fee for it.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Cerekk posted:

The Ford app is free and maintains a complete electronic maintenance record (including super easy upload of third party records) in addition to remote start/lock/unlock. And remote start is still on the key fob too. I like it a lot but wouldn't pay a monthly fee for it.

My Mazda has remote start through the app but it shuts off the engine as soon as you open the door. I’m sire there is some safety reason for this but I can’t figure it out for the life of me

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

redshirt posted:

what happens if you stop paying? do they send a repo guy out with a ladder?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

deep dish peat moss posted:

Can't wait until the day someone's car overheats on the freeway because it was part of a Bitcoin mining botnet

We're all going to overheat someday due to bitcoin mining botnets.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Bouillon Rube posted:

My Mazda has remote start through the app but it shuts off the engine as soon as you open the door. I’m sire there is some safety reason for this but I can’t figure it out for the life of me

It's to sell starters.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

my development PC at work only has 100gb for insane reasons and I just found out the IT automation thing that installs software was sitting on 25gb of "Cache" that upon being deleted caused nothing to happen

Good ol ccmcache and installer.

Windows will happily let you use the last kilobyte and refuse logins. When I see this it's usually because multiple people use it, create a Teams serviceworker cache of 2GB, and the drive is clogged. Windows already can make temporary profiles, it will not do so in this case, only randomly when the profile is "corrupted". Windows usually has a dynamic page file size, it will not shrink it to allow for logins even though pagefile size is academic in the face of +8GB ram being commonplace.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
With self-driving cars, can you just summon your vehicle with your phone, a la Cyberpunk? Like, if I don't want to pay for parking, can I have it drive me to the bar, and then come get me later that night?

Or can I maybe have it circle my ex girlfriend's block the entire night

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

credburn posted:

With self-driving cars, can you just summon your vehicle with your phone, a la Cyberpunk? Like, if I don't want to pay for parking, can I have it drive me to the bar, and then come get me later that night?

How self-driving cars work is you pay a lot of money and then you get to tell people your car drives itself.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

credburn posted:

Teslas have a function called Summon which is supposed to make the car drive itself from a parking spot to you, except it has a bad habit of constantly crashing into things, killing people and causing millions of dollars of property damage, which iirc Tesla claims no liability for and you, the owner of the car, are liable for instead, with their argument being that you should know not to trust Summon.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 11, 2024

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

credburn posted:

self driving cars are a myth op

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol paying attention to a self-driving car in the driver's seat requires more attention than actually loving driving, much of which is not focused on the actual road you yourself can visually see

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I've got great plans for when I have a self driving car and an Ambien prescription

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

lol paying attention to a self-driving car in the driver's seat requires more attention than actually loving driving, much of which is not focused on the actual road you yourself can visually see

The fine print says you need to be ready to take over from the "autopilot". At a moment's notice, while you're distracted even more than usual because you're not driving, with a system that's implied to be able to do it all itself.

Like, at least with aircraft, airspace is mostly controlled especially for people in IFR (autopiloting). If it disconnect, you get a loud 3 note tone and also lots of time to figure out alternatives since there's nothing to hit.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

deep dish peat moss posted:

Teslas have a function called Summon which is supposed to make the car drive itself from a parking spot to you, except it has a bad habit of constantly crashing into things, killing people and causing millions of dollars of property damage, which iirc Tesla claims no liability for and you, the owner of the car, are liable for instead, with their argument being that you should know not to trust Summon.

Strong 'Its your fault for dating me in the first place' energy.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Spotify has added a PayPal link on Miley Cyrus’ page and I assume others where I can contribute directly to the artist

Hahahahahahabahahahaha

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Spotify has added a PayPal link on Miley Cyrus’ page and I assume others where I can contribute directly to the artist

Hahahahahahabahahahaha

This whips, pirate everything and send the cash straight to the artist.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Hahahahahahabahahahaha

I can do that on bandcamp or just buying a tshirt or a vinyl

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Coming in 2024: please tip your streaming service provider :)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

steinrokkan posted:

Coming in 2024: please tip your streaming service provider :)

1.5% card surcharge

Australia still pretty much universally has a 1.8% card surcharge. Surely cards are less labour intensive than using cash.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Outrail posted:

1.5% card surcharge

Australia still pretty much universally has a 1.8% card surcharge. Surely cards are less labour intensive than using cash.

Not if you're a credit card transaction processor. To you, every cash transaction represents a theft from you, the valuable middleman.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Hahahahahahabahahahaha

lol people still use Spotify?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Modal Auxiliary posted:

lol people still use Spotify?

its still the leader in the field and its not even close...

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I use YouTube music until Google eventually turns it off.

I just got notified that Google podcasts is going away. Functionality will be integrated into YouTube music.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The best thing about Spotify is still that band that released an album of nothing but silence so their fans could stream it 24/7 to get them paid

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I opted to stop using Spotify after Joe Rogan did something. Don't remember exactly what it it was and I'm sure there were plenty of opportunities before then but whatever.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Setting up a new Windows 11 machine for my aunt. Brand new, fresh out of the box, 11 spends about 15 minutes on updates before allowing the user access. Seems strange, with 10 it was more like a solid half hour unless you installed from a fresh ISO but maybe they're streamlining updates during the initial setup, who knows?

Haha nope, the computer boots to desktop a full 3 months out of date and requires an additional 30 minutes of manually-initiated updates to get to the current version. It doesn't even bother to mention this, no, if I hadn't been here my aunt (who has had multiple serious malware infections in the recent past and isn't ducking smart enough to tell her box is rocked) would just be multiple critical-flagged updates out of date for God knows how long. Literally had to boot the computer, open Windows Update, manually check for updates (because it lies like every Microsoft product does and says "up to date!" even though it's not and it's literally never checked) and then manually install them three times in a row.

This is emblematic of why I'm leaving IT, and it pisses me off to no end that I bet on the wrong horse in loving high school and it's costing me an entire career twenty years later. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Brother-in-law has Spotify and family can use it for free, so I've been using it almost every day for the past decade. It's great, has all the industrial psytrance goth dub punk metal I could ever ask for. The curated daily music is actually good and I've found tons of new bands over the years. I can't remember the last time it didn't have something I was looking for.

I'm a GenX so my selections might differ from Gen Alpha or whatever.