Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

CM passive skippers need to be harassing more in lane drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't advocate for skipping it, but Mangos + 1 point is all she needs.

This is the jabroni I was matched up with yesterday; I was loving flabberghasted when I rotated from mid to safelane very early and things went terribly. Clicked on the CM and saw this and just immediately lost any hope of winning the game.

This person has over 600 games with CM and a sub-50% winrate with her.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 8, 2024

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

That must be a delight to lane with

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Sab669 posted:

I don't advocate for skipping it, but Mangos + 1 point is all she needs.

This is the jabroni I was matched up with yesterday; I was loving flabberghasted when I rotated from mid to safelane very early and things went terribly. Clicked on the CM and saw this and just immediately lost any hope of winning the game.

This person has over 600 games with CM and a sub-50% winrate with her.
There's some sort of rule that anyone who's level 30 on a hero is somehow still dogshit with that hero.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Incoherence posted:

There's some sort of rule that anyone who's level 30 on a hero is somehow still dogshit with that hero.

This is true x1,000,000 in Archon. At least its a convenient way of letting you know upfront that he's probably gonna suck.

One of the most common pieces of advice for gaining MMR is to only play a few heroes but I can never bring myself to do it for very long*, and then here you've got the guy that's been playing the same hero for years and still isn't winning.

*Especially after a loss, if I just lost a 40+ minute game with something the last thing I want to do is play that hero again next game, even if it's an objectively good pick.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I just play most of the heroes a decent amount. The only hero I don't have at least one dotaplus level in is meepo cause I know I'm just gonna be real bad when I do and I feel like nobody in my games should have to deal with that at this point.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Incoherence posted:

My guess is it's because they've played it so much in previous patches that everything is just engrained in their head now and they can't adapt. Maxing aura on CM for example was the way to go in 2016 or whenever the bad-old-days of trilanes and mana issues was

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

2k is still full of people that make Battlefury on every melee carry. Sometimes battlefury and also radiance/maelstrom. There's usually not an illusion hero on the enemy team.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

flashman posted:

That must be a delight to lane with

He was duo queued with his lanemate :(

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I've been having way too much fun playing Zeus mid lately. He's such a low risk pick since Arc Lightning pretty much guarantees you the CS you need regardless of the match-up. Once you get your Shard and Manta, you're sending out illusions farming the whole map, and hitting like 800 GPM. It's nuts.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I almost never play support anymore (I am very bad at the laning stage with zoning and such) but last night my buddy really wanted to play AM so I ended up playing shadow shaman and man I forgot how fun that hero is. Once you get blink and shard you basically have a free kill on anyone if you and a friend catch them solo. Also when you have your santa hat on all the wards have one too :3:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Very nearly lost due to a Mid Shadow Shaman last night^

He was an absolute menace with Blink / Shard / Refresher. Fortunately he couldn't help himself and kept aggressively blinking forward to spots where we had vision and were able to get some good pick offs against him, but yea we nearly lost a few times.

I lucked out and happened to pick the "Glimmer Cape Your Allies" hero challlenge on CM and I guess you can shift-queue up a self-cast so every time he'd Blink-Shackle me I'd still get away before he could finish me off with a Hex and a little bit more damage. I very very rarely build that item on her, but it saved my bacon so many times. Good thing he never bought Dust.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
My team got destroyed yesterday because the enemy pos 5 shaman had a blink dagger while our pos 3 slardar had nothing and was still 1200 gold away from his blink. That was not a fun game.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Never been a big fan of Initiator-Cores who go like Echo Sabre or Blade Mail over Blink first :shrug: I don't 3 much so I'm sure there are games that justify it, but so many people just seem to think they can just walk into anything... and then just get kited and feed :(

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
My slardar was going blink first lol. He had power treads and a bracer and 1k gold when the shaman had blink and arcanes.

To be fair to him, he was basically solo against troll/shaman because we had a pos 4 natures who kept tping to our safelane during the laning stage. That's not a fun lane for any melee hero.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Getting threads and an item with an actual progression helps you farm that blink. Plus, you are blinking in a bit stronger than before.

I do ban out WD when playing melee pos3, gently caress that maledict bullshit.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Beef posted:

I do ban out WD when playing melee pos3, gently caress that maledict bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmZYgqBp1gI

That reminded me of this and I just wanted to post it in case anyone new in the thread hasn't seen it yet :3:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
blink first is almost always bad in the current meta. you need something to make blinking in worth it, like LC blademail or slardar echo, and blink also doesn't improve your farm at all. 2s and 3s are now mostly expected to scale throughout the game

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Played my first ranked game last night. From the moment the draft screen started until the end of the game (loss) our safelane LC did nothing but chat insults about how we all stink. I mean like it's we're all Herald, dude just calm down.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Ranked game had a jungling LC on the opposing team. What a blast from the past.

Went about as well for them as you can expect. Makes me slightly worried about the trench I have lose-streaked myself into.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

emdash posted:

blink first is almost always bad in the current meta. you need something to make blinking in worth it, like LC blademail or slardar echo, and blink also doesn't improve your farm at all. 2s and 3s are now mostly expected to scale throughout the game

I generally don't play those style of heroes, but I was under the impression that the idea is you gently caress off and farm heroes :shrug:
I guess if you're having a poo poo lane and just really can't save up the gold and need some sort of item progression to help you along then sure.

I dunno I just get so sad when I see an LC come to gank and then they just waddle at the enemy team's 4 and die / fail to gank.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Any hero that goes first item blink will have to depend on their teammates to do damage so some awareness from others or good communication prior to ganking is key.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
you usually can't farm heroes with just a blink anymore, everyone has a pavise or whatever and stun durations got nerfed and HP per STR got buffed and so on and so forth

your supports set up the kills for you before blink. i know this probably doesn't happen at every MMR but even quite bad players (i'm ~4k) will smoke when i have phase/blademail on legion and go find the duel victory very easily

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

emdash posted:

you usually can't farm heroes with just a blink anymore, everyone has a pavise or whatever and stun durations got nerfed and HP per STR got buffed and so on and so forth

your supports set up the kills for you before blink. i know this probably doesn't happen at every MMR but even quite bad players (i'm ~4k) will smoke when i have phase/blademail on legion and go find the duel victory very easily

I struggle with waiting before I launch my disables. I find it's way better to trade a bit and then use them. That way you can secure the kill but man it's hard to wait when you got that Chrono

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

3s skipping fighting items to try and buy a blink inevitably gonna lead to your map getting smaller instead of creating space

Krut Etarieht
Mar 7, 2015
you can go brown boots vanguard blink blademail on axe all day every day

can maybe swap vanguard for veil

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
just had a match with tusk ogre and warlock in the top lane, and an aggressively bad WK silencer party bot against a solo LC. the wk went brown boots into aghs into blink into shard that they got via farming bottom jungle when he hit 3. even the enemy LC was confused as to why he gave up the lane. he just called us bad in top lane for dying so much. the weird part is that the silencer he was partied with was playing completely normally.

you meet all sorts playing dota.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
This is the type of chrono every Faceless should be trying to hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm006gWBqOM

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Chronosphere gets all the heat for being an ability that griefs your team but Winter's Curse is far worse IMO. A bad Wyvern ult can turn a guaranteed win in a team fight to a 5 man wipe, and the Wyvern player may not even realize it.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Chronosphere gets all the heat for being an ability that griefs your team but Winter's Curse is far worse IMO. A bad Wyvern ult can turn a guaranteed win in a team fight to a 5 man wipe, and the Wyvern player may not even realize it.

For awhile I was banning WW just so nobody on my team would pick her for this exact reason

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah man I wish I could remember the time stamp because a perfect example of that happened in another game I had recently :v:

WW popped Curse on our carry so me (5) and the 4 just start hitting him with our pillowfists right as whoever it was on the enemy team blew some big spells that we all got to comfortably ignore lol.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
I made the mistake of trying to have some fun and pick sniper pos 4 last night. Team then picked offlane life stealer and lion mid for a real crazy draft. Think we had pos 5 hood and then a last pick pl.

Me and lifestealer actually did really well in lane against spec/earth spirit, killing both repeatedly.

Lion built a dagon and nothing else until it was fully upgraded, fed a bunch and ls and pl just couldn't carry us out of the hole lion put us in.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
that's crazy my job as a lion is being an annoying piece of poo poo sucking as many people as I can and getting angry messages in chat for it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I mean Lion Mid you just rush the Aghs to turn Finger into Fist. Weird to go Dagon.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Lion's probably one of like 3 heroes that benefit from a straight up brown boots to blink rush. Get them stacks boyeeeee.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Zeruel posted:

that's crazy my job as a lion is being an annoying piece of poo poo sucking as many people as I can and getting angry messages in chat for it

Hell yeah suck on brother

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Sab669 posted:

I mean Lion Mid you just rush the Aghs to turn Finger into Fist. Weird to go Dagon.

the thought process is very simple; dagon + finger of death = tons of dmg and tons of dmg=good. It does not occur to them that lion doesn't lack damage and in fact needs survivability and mobility way more because there's no thought process past "everything will work out just get damage lol" Aghs also increases dmg, but only like 100 a FOD level so clearly it's less good

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I so rarely see actual griefers these days but just had a PA absolutely lose his mind because the enemy zeus killed him and said "lol buy a bkb", dude bought a rapier, tried to kill the zeus, died, queued up another rapier, died, then afked in the jungle while we won the game 4v5

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
My venomancer build of mana boots, solar crest, force staff, boots of bearing is still working out for me despite the last few patches. Now I just end up with 2 pairs of boots instead of dissembling the mana boots, which seems apropos for a snake hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I've tried 6 ranked games (I'm uncalibrated),

2 -> others abandoned
1 -> Safe Lane WK disconnected at 2min, came back right at 7 minutes, like he had a timer then proceeded to feed over and over.
2 -> Someone queued up as support, picked safe line hero and just griefed
1 -> we won because the other team had two people run down mid and destroy items

How in the world so I deal with this nonsense.