Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Arts pretty fuckin' easy and fun anyone that tells you otherwise is probably bad at it and should be told off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Appreciation I mean. I missed meals as a teen for music that went nowhere. Making art is pretty difficult. Looking at it you got it

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ShoogaSlim posted:

it's really good

Hell yeah it is.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

The Peccadillo posted:

I don't think you have to be a nerd to differentiate something that looks cool as hell and something similar that looks kinda dumb. It's straight up a thumbs up thumbs down deal. Easy

agree with this but there's been a surprising amount of people i've interacted with in my life who can't articulate WHY something is a thumbs up or a thumbs down.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Zone of Interest definitely deserves to be seen on the best cinema setup possible, which does sound like an odd recommendation for a film set in Auschwitz - but the score and sound design do so much. There's a preview screening of it at the BFI IMAX next weekend which I think would be incredibly overwhelming.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I think I’ve seen every Mica Levi-scored film in theaters, planning to see Zone of Interest this weekend

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

They’re the only reason I watched Zola

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jenny Agutter posted:

They’re the only reason I watched Zola

Zola was good

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

More like Zone of no Interest in screening it anywhere near me!! :argh:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

It was fine, I more meant Levi was what got me in the door

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

agree with this but there's been a surprising amount of people i've interacted with in my life who can't articulate WHY something is a thumbs up or a thumbs down.

Worth keeping in mind that actually disentangling one's true motivation for an action or reaction is generally very difficult. Most of the time we just latch onto the prominent features of a thing, or some explanation we heard and that we like the sound of. Self-knowledge is rare and hard work to achieve in even a limited fashion. That's why a critic that can write lucidly about their own reaction, even if you don't react the same way, can be so valuable.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I'm a sucker for a playful structure and a good soundtrack/score

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

That defeats the premise. Who gives a gently caress I'm not your proctor

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Just be honest, people try too hard

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

More like Zone of no Interest in screening it anywhere near me!! :argh:

For real

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Wait I kinda get the bad summary critique. I remember talking to someone and I mentioned I just saw Nce Guys and they said I saw that too, it sucked nothing happened. And I didn't understand. The movie happened. It wasn't good, it was cute but a ton of stuff happened.That's just not somebody I'm gonna talk movies with we're not on the same page 'bout it

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 11, 2024

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
People want to be told by a credentialed third party (or, failing that, their social clique) that their opinions are objectively good and unassailable, and that they are correct for having them.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

That could be true of either me or her and hell, God'll sort it out

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

They're skipping Months, I repeat they are skipping Months

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1745365680365388281

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Booo

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

El Jeffe posted:

They should release it in 2030 just to keep it realtime

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Azhais posted:

They should release it in 2030 just to keep it realtime

They can just set it in 2030 yknow

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Still a bit goofy on painkillers gonna go to sleep but leavin' the first movie. Not a good movie but Ned Kelly was a cool guy. No one knows who directed it because a director credit weren't invented yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gkUl64CsTQ

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

El Jeffe posted:

Haven't seen the last couple Boyle movies and I'm lukewarm on Garland's solo work but I'll watch this anyway

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Peccadillo posted:

Wait I kinda get the bad summary critique. I remember talking to someone and I mentioned I just saw Nce Guys and they said I saw that too, it sucked nothing happened. And I didn't understand. The movie happened. It wasn't good, it was cute but a ton of stuff happened.That's just not somebody I'm gonna talk movies with we're not on the same page 'bout it

Nice Guys was really good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

El Jeffe posted:

gently caress that, I just found out Irvine Welsh wrote a third Trainspotting book and none of the main four actors are particularly busy at the moment. Get the gently caress on that movie Boyle.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
28 Decades Later

28 Centuries Later

28 Millenia Later

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Trainsspotting

Edit: oh poo poo I didn’t know they made a second movie already

Train3spotting

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
28 Trains Later

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

28 Minutes Later, the whole movie is told in real time but in 2 minute chunks with 28 minute time skips.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Steve Yun posted:

28 Millenia Later

The Horus Heresy movie

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

El Jeffe posted:

They can just solve this by having an extended flashback where the characters of 28 years later discuss their memories of 28 months later after the events of 28 week laters.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is Trainspotting2 any good? The first was a formative movie for me as a teen

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

Is Trainspotting2 any good? The first was a formative movie for me as a teen

yeah it's better than I expected. The bit where they go to the Rangers fans club is great

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I have first hand knowledge thay Irvine Welsh is a total poo poo head.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Carpet posted:

Zone of Interest definitely deserves to be seen on the best cinema setup possible, which does sound like an odd recommendation for a film set in Auschwitz - but the score and sound design do so much. There's a preview screening of it at the BFI IMAX next weekend which I think would be incredibly overwhelming.

Very much so. Watched it at home and wished I’d gone to a cinema.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Steve Yun posted:

Trainsspotting

No Pixar don't!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Hollismason posted:

Huh and his writing has such an optimistic view of people and society

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hollismason posted:

I remember reading Filth(?) as a teen and he writes a chapter from the POV of a tapeworm in the arse of one of the characters and even as a teen I realised that he was a tryhard loser and possibly insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

well… I really liked some of his books…