Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I get recruiter calls about jobs in Denver, which is anywhere from 2-3 hours away depending on what part of town and the traffic. Multiple times, I have had to explain my answer of "That's 2-3 hours away" means "no" when they say "Well what hourly rate are you looking for?"

Are there people who think "Oh yes I'll turn my 9 hour day into a 13-15 hour day" or are recruiters just trying to hard-sell?

I think they're just misunderstanding you. You're saying "you shouldn't be asking people who are this far away, you're wasting your time" but they're hearing "I'm really far away, so you will need to make it worth my while."

I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong, just that recruiters seem to tend towards being oblivious. Maybe some of them are doing it intentionally as an odd sort of tactic. I've never been in sales but it seems like for a lot of salespeople the job turns into a game of "how do I get to yes" and recruiting is fundamentally pretty similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The Fool posted:

afaik it doesn't care if the cc#'s are the same

I'm not sure if it does either but generating another email address didn't work. :smith:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I’m getting regularly contacted by non-local recruiters for jobs and hour and a loving half away from me but hey it’s the all the same flyover state so who cares.

Yeah I’m relocating for an 18 an hour 12 month contact position. gently caress off.

Living on Long Island is the best because I get contacted by recruiters for jobs in Conecticut all the time. If I decide to actually respond and tell them there’s no way I would make that commute, they go “really? It’s only 30 miles away from where you currently live!”

Hey buddy, pull up a loving map and take a look at what’s between Long Island and Connecticut!!

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Living on Long Island is the best because I get contacted by recruiters for jobs in Conecticut all the time. If I decide to actually respond and tell them there’s no way I would make that commute, they go “really? It’s only 30 miles away from where you currently live!”

Hey buddy, pull up a loving map and take a look at what’s between Long Island and Connecticut!!

tell them the last people calling you offered a boat and marina fees. at least settle for boat money. (do not buy your own boat)

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I get this in San Diego frequently. Recruiter calls up "Hey we've got a position in Irvine/Rancho Cucamonga/Downtown LA and they need someone on site 5x a week"

all of those are a hundred miles away, at least, and multiple hours of commuting. :lol: Then I get recruiters who want me to commute to jobs in SF or Sacramento

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Eletriarnation posted:

I think they're just misunderstanding you. You're saying "you shouldn't be asking people who are this far away, you're wasting your time" but they're hearing "I'm really far away, so you will need to make it worth my while."

I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong, just that recruiters seem to tend towards being oblivious. Maybe some of them are doing it intentionally as an odd sort of tactic. I've never been in sales but it seems like for a lot of salespeople the job turns into a game of "how do I get to yes" and recruiting is fundamentally pretty similar.

Good idea, I'll say $100 an hour or something and say that's what it will take for me to spend that much time driving (I would probably rent an apartment in Denver for during the week if I was making $200k equivalent although that would never happen)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

I get this in San Diego frequently. Recruiter calls up "Hey we've got a position in Irvine/Rancho Cucamonga/Downtown LA and they need someone on site 5x a week"

all of those are a hundred miles away, at least, and multiple hours of commuting. :lol: Then I get recruiters who want me to commute to jobs in SF or Sacramento

tbh, as someone that doesn't live in California, I have no idea what the distances between the cities are off the top of my head and I've actually driven between SF and LA before.

I assume GTA:San Andreas is to scale

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Gucci Loafers posted:

I'm not sure if it does either but generating another email address didn't work. :smith:

That sucks, I know I've done it before.

Maybe try one of those services that generates CC#'s for you? Like https://privacy.com

I don't really worry about the trials these days because I have access to a lab subscription at work.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Look at this guy, too good for the Port Jeff-Bridgeport ferry

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Rotten Cookies posted:

Look at this guy, too good for the Port Jeff-Bridgeport ferry

If only they built the proposed floating bridge from Shoreham to New Haven! Or the Oyster Bay-Rye bridge!

(both of them would have been expensive boondoggles, probably)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

kefkafloyd posted:

If only they built the proposed floating bridge from Shoreham to New Haven! Or the Oyster Bay-Rye bridge!

(both of them would have been expensive boondoggles, probably)
I can't even imagine the kind of wishful thinking that goes into believing the mob-affiliated old money in Mill Neck/Centre Island/Lloyd Harbor would stand for a bridge going through their waterfront property views

Still more practical than Cuomo's "let's just build the world's longest road tunnel" plan, somehow

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The Fool posted:

tbh, as someone that doesn't live in California, I have no idea what the distances between the cities are off the top of my head and I've actually driven between SF and LA before.

I assume GTA:San Andreas is to scale

Going by stand up comedy routings an hour in traffic is a short commute there so I assume several days

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Finally have been getting hits on my resume, had two interviews last week for some decent jobs and now this week I've got contacted about setting up interviews. Is the market shaping up finally again?

Anyways, one is for a start up which has me kind of nervous and it's for a junior devops role which is sort of the direction I want to go for, but the place has barely 20 people working for it and I certainly don't want to be the only devops person working for a startup, but I'm assuming if they're looking for a junior they've got a regular or senior one already.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Blurb3947 posted:

Finally have been getting hits on my resume, had two interviews last week for some decent jobs and now this week I've got contacted about setting up interviews. Is the market shaping up finally again?

Anyways, one is for a start up which has me kind of nervous and it's for a junior devops role which is sort of the direction I want to go for, but the place has barely 20 people working for it and I certainly don't want to be the only devops person working for a startup, but I'm assuming if they're looking for a junior they've got a regular or senior one already.
General rule: at a 20 person startup, you're just barely past the point where everyone does every job. I'd be surprised if they have anyone full-time dedicated to release engineering work, it's probably one of the hats worn by employee #2 or so

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sounds like a great opportunity to me. My wife is on her third round of "small startup with new skills" and frankly I'm jealous. She gets to work with cool stuff and while smaller teams have their challenges I find them to be way more interesting than giant corp challenges.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

RTO going swell

-No one taking it seriously, mostly coffee badging and then going home
-Our floor has been abandoned since pre-covid and we don't yet have janitorial staff. Someone got stuck with a dirty diabetic needle in the bathroom because the garbage is literally overflowing, also we have rats.
-Since covid we have become global teams so the entire floor is an echo chamber of everyone else's meetings
-I had to dig through boxes of eWaste to find a keyboard that wasnt covered in dust and hair

We are an F100 and this is our global headquarters

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
i have an idea on where you can put the rats

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

cr0y posted:

RTO going swell

-Our floor has been abandoned since pre-covid and we don't yet have janitorial staff. Someone got stuck with a dirty diabetic needle in the bathroom because the garbage is literally overflowing, also we have rats.
-Since covid we have become global teams so the entire floor is an echo chamber of everyone else's meetings
-I had to dig through boxes of eWaste to find a keyboard that wasnt covered in dust and hair

Let me guess, none of the C-suite are working from the office either

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Send pictures of overflowing trash with needles to the All Staff distro and also the news

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

johnny park posted:

Let me guess, none of the C-suite are working from the office either

Lol no their floor got renovated and looks like something out of a Google campus

E: sterilized for obvious reasons

It's one of those custom deals with the little 4x4 inch panels that pop out and are hot swap, rumor said tech and install was $600k

cr0y fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 11, 2024

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Blurb3947 posted:

Tech industry lives and dies by interest rates because god forbid anybody in this industry try to turn a profit and the market thinks they’re going to start lowering them again this year

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

cr0y posted:

Lol no their floor got renovated and looks like something out of a Google campus

It's one of those custom deals with the little 4x4 inch panels that pop out and are hot swap, rumor said tech and install was $600k

Of course lmao. Agreed with the other poster, send pics to the news

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

cr0y posted:

RTO going swell

I’m at the office once per week. Show up at 9.30-10am and leave around 3.30-4.30pm. I have 2-3 meetings, 1.5h lunch and socialize with coworkers.

Office is ok-ish. A lot of meeting rooms and small areas where teams of 4-8 people can work together. Plenty of whiteboards, decent enough free coffee and everything is clean. Only downside is it’s in the middle of the city and parking is limited, but you can claim a spot a week in advance.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

cr0y posted:

Why is the camera positioned to make it look like everyone in the meeting is being stalked by a Predator drone

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

https://www.theregister.com/2024/01/10/broadcom_ends_vmware_partner_program/

So this basically means you're hosed if you have an active VMWare service agreement right?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Looks like they are talking about companies such as Rackspace who would take money off you and host a VMware environment for you, presumably so the CIO gets to say they did :yaycloud: even though your apps are legacy poo poo that need to run fault tolerance. Except presumably Rackspace is large enough they get to stay on the programme.

E: :lmao: I just realised that we are a customer of a VMware cloud provider

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Why is the camera positioned to make it look like everyone in the meeting is being stalked by a Predator drone

Just entertaining the fantasies of the common workers that have to dial in.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Thanks Ants posted:

Looks like they are talking about companies such as Rackspace who would take money off you and host a VMware environment for you, presumably so the CIO gets to say they did :yaycloud: even though your apps are legacy poo poo that need to run fault tolerance. Except presumably Rackspace is large enough they get to stay on the programme.

E: :lmao: I just realised that we are a customer of a VMware cloud provider

Company I moved to the cloud figured out they needed a cloud strategy so they hired rackspace. They interviewed me and 2 others, put it in a report and that was the cloud strategy they advised. Only addition was they proposed a cloud council of different early adopters and a trusted 3rd party (read: rackspace) to keep us ahead of the curve.

Basically they got paid to copy/paste stuff and create a position that resulted in a 500k contract for themselves.

C-suite obviously fell for it hook line and sinker.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Hey another long islander, there's 3 of us now. A few more and we can take this thread over!!!!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

where can I get a New York slice around here

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cut up a cardboard box and pour some canned marinara sauce on it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Dandywalken posted:

where can I get a New York slice around here
anything fancier than Penn Station (the old one) is pretentious

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

mllaneza posted:

go eat a giardiniera soufflé you Chuck E. Cheese animatronic bag of poo poo

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

LochNessMonster posted:

Company I moved to the cloud figured out they needed a cloud strategy so they hired rackspace. They interviewed me and 2 others, put it in a report and that was the cloud strategy they advised. Only addition was they proposed a cloud council of different early adopters and a trusted 3rd party (read: rackspace) to keep us ahead of the curve.

Basically they got paid to copy/paste stuff and create a position that resulted in a 500k contract for themselves.

C-suite obviously fell for it hook line and sinker.

I checked the folks I worked with at Rackspace and they're all gone. Their 'Fanatical' AWS support was surprisingly inept. Good times at the office though, especially around Halloween.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

As a resident of Minnesota I'm legally obligated to say that Madison sucks (Go Gophers! Even though they fired me!).

Also, while I was job searching I kept getting postings on LinkedIn for Epic "located" in the Minneapolis area but when you'd read the description it says you have to relocate to Madison, so I report those form having the wrong location.

I would do that a ton, report that it was a wrong location, when job hunting on Linkedin. Or the job postings that are labeled as remote when the description clearly states it's a hybrid position and or that it's a go into office job. Hated that poo poo.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I think I'm the only one in Seattle that posts here, so everything I say is representative of all 11 quadrillion computer touchers here, like Hobbes' Leviathan.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

mllaneza posted:

mllaneza, I will have your back when they come for you. Unfortunately I am ancient and worthless in a fight.

raccoon.bmp
Feb 16, 2023

🦝

cr0y posted:

Hey c'mon now, that thing is going to look fantastic when showing someone's blurry webcam through Zoom compression.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGsVjaS2NII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Blurb3947 posted:

Back in November I had a steady amount of hits from recruiters compared to the slower Fall and Summer. It's difficult to say if things will pickup with the economic news but if you keyword search specific terms like "Active Directory", "Azure AD", "Terraform", etc. with other filters like days posted... there's is still a lot of stuff out there. Not just fake filler either.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 12, 2024