Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
every person is entitled to be miserable in marriage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/us-britain-strikes-houthi-yemen-rcna133576

"The United States and Britain launched military strikes against targets in Houthi-controlled Yemen, two U.S. officials said Thursday.

They targeted multiple locations with fighter jets and Tomahawks fired from Navy ships."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Pine Cone Jones posted:

https://www.wndu.com/2024/01/10/indiana-files-bill-removing-transgender-recognition-updates-definition-marriage/

House Bill 1291, authored by Representative Chris Judy, R-Allen County, replaces the term “gender” with the phrase “biological sex” for statutes in which the term is used to describe the condition of being physically male or female. This includes documentation such as a driver’s license or state identification card. It would also apply in the case of sex discrimination, benefits, and services.

The bill also seeks to change the state’s stance on gay marriage by stating that marriage is “between one man and one woman.” Per the bill, any other marriage “is void in Indiana even if the marriage is lawful in the place where it is solemnized.”

More lovely things out of Indiana.

Given that Gay Marriage is settled Federally - LMAO good loving luck, bigots.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CommieGIR posted:

Given that Gay Marriage is settled Federally - LMAO good loving luck, bigots.

In a 6-3 decision

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/YWNReporter/status/1745604820101386467?t=uCRDrnxzBQRYvlumfaP9eg&s=19

We're never gonna pivot to Asia, are we?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Nick Soapdish posted:

but... thats where manufacturing is...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nick Soapdish posted:

Politifact will declare it to be a Promise Kept.

He pivoted to Asia Minor.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

That Works posted:

In a 6-3 decision

Its unlikely they are going to revisit it anytime soon. While they've enabled bigots to refuse service, they have been fairly clear that Marriage is not something they are likely to reverse soon.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
At least here, the coalition is the big countries instead of George W. Bush's randos

https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/1745615654781096007

CommieGIR posted:

Its unlikely they are going to revisit it anytime soon.

What's funny is that conservatives are pinning their hopes of a rehearing on this loving oval office (I think that insult is earned):

https://twitter.com/gabrielmalor/status/1744238202020352124

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

That Works posted:

In a 6-3 decision

A lot of these are inaccurate because Roberts would defect in a weak attempt to shore up the legitimacy of the court.

In this particular instance, Roberts said some really unfriendly things in his Hodges dissent.

If the court were to revisit, it may well go six to three.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
While much of the crisis is a consequence of American support for the Saudis and Israel, the only reason that there isn't a broader group publicly signed on to the action is because India and China just don't want to be seen as on the same page as the US here—but they're equally as anxious about the shipping lane's security as everyone else. In a bizarre counterfactual where this coalition were to inexplicably shrug and ignore the attacks, someone would almost certainly be mobilizing kinetic action to attempt to reimpose security.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Current expectation is war with China in the next ten years so

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

That Works posted:

In a 6-3 decision

5-4. Roberts votes to maintain Federal Supremacy.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I look forward to my marriage being annulled.

Also in NH news

https://www.glad.org/new-hampshire-house-passes-two-bills-attacking-lgbtq-rights-lgbtq-public-education-and-child-welfare-advocates-respond/

The New Hampshire House of Representatives today voted on four bills relating to LGBTQ+ rights, and for every bill, voted against protecting LGBTQ+ rights.

Two of the bills (HB 368 and HB 264), positive measures that would have streamlined affirmative birth certification and protected LGBTQ+ youth seeking certain health care in New Hampshire, failed. The other two bills (HB 396 and HB 619), dangerous attacks on LGBTQ+ rights, passed and are being sent to the New Hampshire Senate. These two bills would undermine the right to equal protection under the law for LGBTQ+ people by giving a license to discriminate against and segregate LGBTQ+ people in schools and other settings, as well as make it more difficult for trans teenagers and their families to access appropriate health services supported by every major medical association.

And in WV

https://newrepublic.com/post/178029/west-virginia-bill-ban-transgender-people-schools-obscene-matter

Senate Bill 197, which was introduced Wednesday, prohibits obscene matter from being within 2,500 feet of a public school building or facility. Obscene materials are defined as something that is sexually explicit “in a patently offensive way” or something that “lacks serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value.”

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I look forward to my marriage being annulled.

Also in NH news

https://www.glad.org/new-hampshire-house-passes-two-bills-attacking-lgbtq-rights-lgbtq-public-education-and-child-welfare-advocates-respond/

The New Hampshire House of Representatives today voted on four bills relating to LGBTQ+ rights, and for every bill, voted against protecting LGBTQ+ rights.

Two of the bills (HB 368 and HB 264), positive measures that would have streamlined affirmative birth certification and protected LGBTQ+ youth seeking certain health care in New Hampshire, failed. The other two bills (HB 396 and HB 619), dangerous attacks on LGBTQ+ rights, passed and are being sent to the New Hampshire Senate. These two bills would undermine the right to equal protection under the law for LGBTQ+ people by giving a license to discriminate against and segregate LGBTQ+ people in schools and other settings, as well as make it more difficult for trans teenagers and their families to access appropriate health services supported by every major medical association.

And in WV

https://newrepublic.com/post/178029/west-virginia-bill-ban-transgender-people-schools-obscene-matter

Senate Bill 197, which was introduced Wednesday, prohibits obscene matter from being within 2,500 feet of a public school building or facility. Obscene materials are defined as something that is sexually explicit “in a patently offensive way” or something that “lacks serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value.”

The flesh is obscene. Nobody should ever show skin outside.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

My Spirit Otter posted:

i genuinely dont understand how people get so upset over something that doesnt affect them at all. holy poo poo, just let people live their life.

https://twitter.com/joss_prior/status/1636151860364029952

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/BillMelugin_/status/1745604622197113076

Yeah this has always worked out well in the past.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I would absolutely love if we could just let Texas and Florida secede.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Politifact will declare it to be a Promise Kept.

He pivoted to Asia Minor.

January 2024 Current Events: Pivot to Asia Minor

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

MonkeyFit posted:

I would absolutely love if we could just let Texas and Florida secede.

I would be fine with that, so long Florida offered some manner of "reasonable human relocation program" first.

Pudding-Finger Platform-Shoes can hook me up with one of those Martha's Vineyard flights out of this fascist hellhole and I'll gladly watch it sink into the ocean from a good safe distance.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There will probably be a mass relocation out of Florida at some point. Because people gonna people though, it will be a chaotic humanitarian clusterfuck of individuals trying not to die in the aftermath of a monster hurricane while the state goes bankrupt from it's half-baked insurance scheme now that all the major players are pulling out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Source of this is the Post, so I would not stake the house on its accuracy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

lightpole posted:

Current expectation is war with China in the next ten years so

People have been saying that for about the last thirty or forty years.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Platystemon posted:

Source of this is the Post, so I would not stake the house on its accuracy.

So they were trying to get woman-free access to the bath?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CommieGIR posted:

Its unlikely they are going to revisit it anytime soon. While they've enabled bigots to refuse service, they have been fairly clear that Marriage is not something they are likely to reverse soon.

Roe is precedent and settled law.

Im fairly confident the court in its current configuration will overturn it sooner rather than later.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

That Works posted:

Roe is precedent and settled law.

Im fairly confident the court in its current configuration will overturn it sooner rather than later.

FWIW,
The legal underpinning of Roe is an inference that the right is a Constitutional one - essentially a decision that the right should be in the Constitution.
The legal underpinning of marriage equality (race and sex) is the literal words of the Constitution.

That being said, when you're playing Calvinball, anything goes.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yeah it's probably not exactly stabilizing that it was a 5-4, and two of those five are gone and replaced by Kavanaugh (who probably doesn't care) and Barrett (religious zealot).

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I'm not familiar with this repayment plan - but any of y'all qualify?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...rolled-in-save/

quote:

Starting next month, borrowers enrolled in SAVE who took out less than $12,000 in loans and have been in repayment for 10 years will get their remaining student debt cancelled immediately. This action will particularly help community college borrowers, low-income borrowers, and those struggling to repay their loans. 

Apparently SAVE replaced the Revised Pay As You Earn (REPAYE) repayment plan and I remember seeing that option a long while back.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Also, Donnie sued the New York Times and others at the paper, and just got charged $392,638.69 for sucking at it. Usually, judges will take a bite out of the defendants' attorney fees claims, but the judge didn't even bother.

https://twitter.com/susannecraig/status/1745875236149440586

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Platystemon posted:

Is this "border guard allowing illegals across the border" thing something happening in reality or fiction? I cannot tell what is real anymore.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Stop looking at the propaganda site, esp. if you cannot see it for what it is.

This dude is a Sinclair mouthpiece. They hate the global majority.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

EssOEss posted:

Is this "border guard allowing illegals across the border" thing something happening in reality or fiction? I cannot tell what is real anymore.

Search your feelings, you know the answer already.

No. Border Patrol has to detain any "illegals" they catch on our side of the border, and then process them to see if they either get deported, are wanted by another agency, or eligible to be released with a immigration court date.

Chuds and TX gov are stupid as gently caress though so they see/frame this as "Biden just letting everyone in", when the reality is there is a process and you can't just boot everyone back across the border the moment you find them.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Just move the US boarder patrol check points/resources back to the northern texas border and let texas bankrupt itself trying to the job.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

bird food bathtub posted:

There will probably be a mass relocation out of Florida at some point. Because people gonna people though, it will be a chaotic humanitarian clusterfuck of individuals trying not to die in the aftermath of a monster hurricane while the state goes bankrupt from it's half-baked insurance scheme now that all the major players are pulling out.

Based on the response to Katrina, I am inclined to use the words "mass migration" rather than "mass relocation". Relocations require planning and are very expensive, while letting people just die is cheap. At some point the actuarial cost of saving anyone will rise too high and they'll just get written off. You'll see lots of refugees but they won't have anywhere to relocate to unless they have enough money or perhaps family willing to take them in. One of my long-range fears is that as the climate crisis accelerates, you'll see these internal refugee issues harden the borders between states, leading to interstate conflict, jurisdictional disputes, further insurrection, and so on down the line until we have Civil War 2 or end up completely Balkanized or both.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Search your feelings, you know the answer already.

No. Border Patrol has to detain any "illegals" they catch on our side of the border, and then process them to see if they either get deported, are wanted by another agency, or eligible to be released with a immigration court date.

Chuds and TX gov are stupid as gently caress though so they see/frame this as "Biden just letting everyone in", when the reality is there is a process and you can't just boot everyone back across the border the moment you find them.

The USCBP union loves it!

https://x.com/BillMelugin_/status/1745630896202424469?s=20

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 12, 2024

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

There is definitely a universe where the republican party is bookended by resolutions determining “whether the spot on which the blood of our citizens was shed, as in his messages declared, was or was not within the territory of Spain, at least after the treaty of 1819, until the Mexican revolution”

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Comedy option, Biden should call up the Texas national guard. Turns out they all need to be deployed to Alaska for a few months on an emergency basis.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

bird food bathtub posted:

Comedy option, Biden should call up the Texas national guard. Turns out they all need to be deployed to Alaska for a few months on an emergency basis.

The way they are being treated under state orders, sure lets make stuff worse for them. Call them up for home station training.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Send the Texas NG off to man the soup kitchens at the various places Texas is sending migrants to by the plane load.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Absolutely serious post here, and I ask this because I feel like I can’t trust the stories put out by either side.

Is the border crisis under this administration really a thing? I could have sworn I saw someone ITT recently saying that it absolutely was, but I can’t recall who, or if I’m even remembering the right thread.

What is the real story here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Wouldn't getting called up for federal service actually be better for them? I thought I remembered hearing that the Guard gets hosed over in a bunch of ways when on state duty, especially in Texas where Abbot's been calling them up for extra long extended border duty.