Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

bravesword posted:

I have no idea why those two Enrage Warrior cards are dual class. Do they have any applications in DH at all? The spell is decent setup for Going Down Swinging, I guess.

Yeah, Burning Heart seems like it fits into the general "make a bunch of small rush things and AoE damage spells" types of removal that Demon Hunter uses. But Crimson Expanse... I can see it doing something with big demon hunter if you have some AoEs that hit your own board, but big demon hunter is already a lot of setup for not quite enough payoff. Adding more setup for more payoff doesn't seem like enough to make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

The Lord of Hats posted:

Does that new 3-cost treasure have a limited Elemental pool? Because otherwise that seems like absolutely absurd in terms of what you could get out of it on like, turn 4.

Discovering three times that early in the game is a pretty tall order outside of Scourge Illusionist shenanigans. It seems pretty analogous to Azerite Gem to me, where it’s sometimes a huge swing, but other times it just whiffs. There’s enough crummy Elementals in the pool (and I presume Neptulon is excluded from it) that you’re by no means guaranteed to get a big swing.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Wow if brann was neutral I tink we'd be looking at every deck being highlander for a while.

Quite keen to make a highlander rock n roll deck (minion buff one). I nearly took that to legend last month and having an extra spell in there would be great, plus you'd get some enormous late game buffs

avantgardener fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 11, 2024

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I think Crimson Expanse is supposed to synergize with all DH's rush cards. 4 mana is pretty steep though.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Warrior Brann seems like it'd be for a Blackrock & Roll deck maybe? At least then you can double up on stuff like Lor'Themar, Trenchstalker, Olgra, etc.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

bravesword posted:

Discovering three times that early in the game is a pretty tall order outside of Scourge Illusionist shenanigans. It seems pretty analogous to Azerite Gem to me, where it’s sometimes a huge swing, but other times it just whiffs. There’s enough crummy Elementals in the pool (and I presume Neptulon is excluded from it) that you’re by no means guaranteed to get a big swing.

A dev confirmed Neptulon is indeed not in the pool

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Brann looks fun for Warrior, really only has synergy with their big cards but it's pretty good with a lot of them. Alex or Tidal Revenant give you a ton of burn damage.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Whether they're good or not (they're not) I am very, very tired of watching Plagues & Helya hit the board. Especially when the only counteroptions are Kill Them or Steamcleaner, and they so casually delete Reno as a function.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Shockeh posted:

Whether they're good or not (they're not) I am very, very tired of watching Plagues & Helya hit the board. Especially when the only counteroptions are Kill Them or Steamcleaner, and they so casually delete Reno as a function.

sorry op I know how annoying it is to get your Reno’d cards turned off but also it’s good that there’s a counter for those decks

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Sandwolf posted:

there’s a counter for those decks

It's called tempo :laffo:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Sandwolf posted:

sorry op I know how annoying it is to get your Reno’d cards turned off but also it’s good that there’s a counter for those decks

I love that there's counters, that's not the issue at all. I want there to be options back & forth.

(Rustrot is the single best card they're printed in years, and I wish there was equivalent quality tech cards for Secrets, Reno, etc. that both players could play around)

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Shockeh posted:

I love that there's counters, that's not the issue at all. I want there to be options back & forth.

(Rustrot is the single best card they're printed in years, and I wish there was equivalent quality tech cards for Secrets, Reno, etc. that both players could play around)

I mean, isn’t that what Steamcleaner is for? earnestly. Isn’t that the back and forth? I have been playing Plague DK and I definitely saw a guy turn off all my plagues and then I couldn’t get enough back in there before he played his Reno, etc

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i've been playing a lot of plague dk and highlander decks can absolutely beat me the gently caress up even with their specific stuff turned off, it's far from an autolose/win

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Plague DK also just gets bounced by a lot of other decks (Warlock, Token Druid, Aggro Pally depending on their draw) so there’s not a ton of them out there to counter the Highlanders

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Had a fun hail mary tavern spell nonsense comp in BGs after not getting any triples as Rafaam:

Had to grab it in-game because of the beast pivot. MVP was Sporebat, as usual

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

I mean, isn’t that what Steamcleaner is for? earnestly. Isn’t that the back and forth? I have been playing Plague DK and I definitely saw a guy turn off all my plagues and then I couldn’t get enough back in there before he played his Reno, etc

the difference is that steamcleaner is a much bigger burden to put in your deck; tradeable is what makes Rustrot such a great tech card, you can always treat it as a 1 mana draw 1 in the matchups where it isn't relevant. Steamcleaner just sits in your hand and has worse stats for its cost

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the difference is that steamcleaner is a much bigger burden to put in your deck; tradeable is what makes Rustrot such a great tech card, you can always treat it as a 1 mana draw 1 in the matchups where it isn't relevant. Steamcleaner just sits in your hand and has worse stats for its cost

That strikes me as a pretty reasonable burden to counter the one deck type that is the specific rock to Reno deck’s scissors, no?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Assuming we're being earnest....

The comparison is that Rustrot is good as a Tech slot (which are already at a huge premium in decks) whilst Steam is not. Steam is unwieldly at 5, carries a body you don't want on a Tech card, and the value of Tradeable can't be overstated. The 'Scissors' argument falls flat because it's not like Reno casually overpowers Plague without turning off Reno; Plague has solid damage output regardless, even if you imagine a world where Steam was good/reliable (delete to taste) it doesn't become some unwinnable Rock Paper Scissors scenario. Likewise, it's not desirable for Steam to be some kind of autowin against Plague - A tech version at around Rustrot levels that only removed 3-5 cards would give us some nuance.

The other complaint is just how Plague works in general - Having your game decided by RNG is a part of card games, topdecking the win is actually part of the draw (pun intended), but adding more is usually a bad thing. That's an aside to this obviously.

Again, as per the OP - Not trying to create some 'Plague is good/op' line of discussion; More whether the game itself would be improved by a better implementation of Plagues, and a slicker design around countering them. Absolutes are bad, etc.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Shockeh posted:

Again, as per the OP - Not trying to create some 'Plague is good/op' line of discussion; More whether the game itself would be improved by a better implementation of Plagues, and a slicker design around countering them. Absolutes are bad, etc.

Yeah I feel you and agree with your sentinment.

But to me it feels very, very good to beat down a Plague deck with tempo after they've bricked my reno/whatever.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
To add another point - Reno decks have one or sometimes two cards with Highlander effects, in a Zephrys-less world. (In the current Standard pool, there's arguably only four 'worthwhile' Highlander cards)

You already paid 'a' cost to get access to those cards, because your deck had to lose a LOT of consistency to make him worthwhile. Dunking them without deploying any tech (Because you're just pursuing your wincon, the disabling was incidental) isn't elegant either.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 12, 2024

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Shockeh posted:

Dunking them without deploying any tech (Because you're just pursuing your wincon, the disabling was incidental) isn't elegant either.

Also one deck having a strong counter to Reno while most others don't has the potential to be very polarising.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Run an ETC and put a steamcleaner under there like everyone else, don't maindeck it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah every highlander deck should be packing an ETC

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Plague Dk also hard counters some spell\draw based archetypes, especially demon hunter. I've been playing the dh deck posted here last week and once Helya goes down you might as well concede from my experience

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
nah, always play it out. even with a helya I've had games with a dozen plagues shuffled in and they just never draw one. don't think you've lost until you actually lose

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

flatluigi posted:

nah, always play it out. even with a helya I've had games with a dozen plagues shuffled in and they just never draw one. don't think you've lost until you actually lose

Yeah I gotta say it’s a very different experience from my end. I’ve even had mirrors where I draw every plague over and over while they draw none.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sandwolf posted:

Yeah I gotta say it’s a very different experience from my end. I’ve even had mirrors where I draw every plague over and over while they draw none.

the last game I played with plague dk before trying out some other decks yesterday my opponent was a priest who copied helya out of my hand

guess which one of us drew plagues eight times and which one of us drew one

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
In my experience, Plague DK is actually much less of a hassle for my Highlander Priest than that loving Shaman card that shuffles overloads. At least Plague needs to play more than a single card to shut my entire deck off.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

flatluigi posted:

yeah every highlander deck should be packing an ETC

Not really though, it depends on the class. If it's something more slow and control-y like Priest or Shaman or Blood DK then definitely, but if you're a Reno deck that actually tries to beat down your opponents like Paladin/Hunter/Druid then the tempo loss of ETC often isn't worth the extra tech slots

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Not really though, it depends on the class. If it's something more slow and control-y like Priest or Shaman or Blood DK then definitely, but if you're a Reno deck that actually tries to beat down your opponents like Paladin/Hunter/Druid then the tempo loss of ETC often isn't worth the extra tech slots

this

the surest way to beat plague dk is to have a win con that's faster than theirs (which is like, 95% of decks)

for reno priest, then you whip out the ETC.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://x.com/PlayHearthstone/status/1745868250624233943?s=20

Blizzard why

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

flatluigi posted:

Oh yeah, I always play it out. And dream of using Finley to draw the plagues to hand father than auto cast. It just never works.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
https://x.com/PlayHearthstone/status/1745875796592402626?s=20

I hate hate hate that druid card on the right so much.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Eh I’m not sure why you’d run it over Nourish

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
People played Nourish when it cost six; this seems fine. It’s weird that it’s not a nature spell though.

Maybe I was wrong about these dual class cards being a good idea; a lot of them secretly look like single class cards. Not sure why a Mage would ever play Chaos Creation, for example; Firelands Portal has been legal all year, doesn’t have a drawback, and sees no play.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

bravesword posted:

People played Nourish when it cost six; this seems fine. It’s weird that it’s not a nature spell though.

Maybe I was wrong about these dual class cards being a good idea; a lot of them secretly look like single class cards. Not sure why a Mage would ever play Chaos Creation, for example; Firelands Portal has been legal all year, doesn’t have a drawback, and sees no play.

I don't know, it feels like the same problem a lot of Hearthstone cards fall into. If a burn Mage or sufficiently fast tempo Mage existed, it would definitely run a Firelands Portal that's better in every way if the game isn't going long enough to use the last chunk of your deck anyway. But those decks don't exist, and when someone like Kibler tries to make a niche deck like that work it tends to be in that B-tier "good enough to have a fun time, not good enough to actually affect the meta" way that most people aren't going to bother with.

Most CCGs have that problem, of course, but the state of every Hearthstone format outside standard and wild is pretty sad.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

february twist format is apparently "commons only"

https://twitter.com/ZeddyHS/status/1745892062762049759

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
oh man let's bring back some zoolock, mech mage, murloc shaman, and some other fun stuff for Twist

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
All of the other Druid cards seem insane, like the 5 mana create a copy spell with Eonar, or the discover spell with the taunt nerubian. Lotta combo pieces for an already pretty busted class (at least it will be new busted?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gyreworm is a really cool design. No idea if it'll see play but it's a clever way to combine those keywords.