Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
The episode where Geordi's mother's ship goes missing he mentions that her ship got in to and out of so many incredible situations.
Also many episodes feature ships that ran in to a problem and weren't quite fast enough at working things out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I suspect most starships don't get up to the same density of bullshit as the Enterprise or even the Cerritos if they're not engaging in exploratory-style missions -- which obviously covers the Enterprise, and the Cerritos isn't far behind.

thotsky posted:

The colonies are likewise often ideologically divergent. In fact, trying out a new way of life is directly stated in the show as a common primary motivation for establishing a new colony. We can assume the same rule holds true for these. It's not that crazy; the Norwegian Child Protective System have repeatedly been criticized by the European Court of Human Rights for centering children over the rights of their parents. While the show features a human society that has made a ton of progress, the role of parens, as well as parenting style, appears to be typical of the 90's.

Starfleet is a home for fanatical scientists, explorers and soldiers who prefer to regularly face death and insanity than live in a virtual paradise on Earth. A lot of them had parents with the same inclinations, and demonstrably wish for their children to carry on the tradition. There's very clearly a certain amount of indoctrination involved, but that's true for our societies as well.

I assume a lot of Federation citizens rightly believe Starfleet volunteers to be insane. Sisko's dad gives us a glimpse of this, although there's likely a ton of pro-Starfleet peopaganda seeing as the Federation relies on them for protection.
I imagine you are broadly correct but the experience on the ground is not expressing it in those terms.

What I wonder is if the experience of other cultures is similar.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

thotsky posted:

Where is that stated? The Enterprise probably gets some choice assignments by virtue of being the flagship, but I think that outside of the season finales (where the narrative requires The Enterprise to be involved in Big Events) the show is pretty representative for all Starfleet ships with comparable missions.

It's never directly stated just how fringe Starfleet is ideologically to the Federation, and Earth in particular, but the show does imply it.

I think we can assume that the Federation takes a view more similar to that of Central/Eastern Europe than that of Scandinavia when it comes to the rights of children. Meaning, the rights of a child as an independent entity are not primary to that of the family unit. Breaking up the family is not acceptable even if that would arguably result in a better outcome for the child. A Starfleet officer is perfectly within their rights to have or bring children along on their demonstrably dangerous lifestyles. It's not that crazy; the Norwegian Child Protective System have repeatedly been criticized by the European Court of Human Rights for centering children over the rights of their parents.

The colonies aldo diverge ideologically from the Federation. In fact, trying out a new way of life is directly stated in the show as a common primary motivation for establishing a new colony. Once you leave, whatever value system you've ascribed to is what your children will get to experience.

Starfleet is a home for fanatical scientists, explorers and soldiers who prefer to regularly face death and insanity than live in a virtual paradise on Earth. A lot of them had parents with the same inclinations, and demonstrably wish for their children to carry on the tradition. There's very clearly a certain amount of indoctrination involved, but that's true for our societies as well.

I assume a lot of Federation citizens rightly believe Starfleet volunteers to be insane. Sisko's dad gives us a glimpse of this, although there's likely a ton of pro-Starfleet peopaganda seeing as the Federation relies on them for protection.

I don't know how to find it, but I swear there was a TNG episode where a researcher visits the -D and mentions something about the Enterprise encountering temporal anomalies at many times the fleet average.

Also, Sisko's dad is a bit nutty himself, with his insistence on not using any perfectly replicated ingredients.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Nessus posted:

I suspect most starships don't get up to the same density of bullshit as the Enterprise or even the Cerritos if they're not engaging in exploratory-style missions -- which obviously covers the Enterprise, and the Cerritos isn't far behind.

I mean, the Cerritos is meant to be an example of a ship that gets the short end of the stick and they still see plenty of action.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

A.o.D. posted:

Also, Sisko's dad is a bit nutty himself, with his insistence on not using any perfectly replicated ingredients.

Replicator adoption is not portrayed as being universal on earth. It's probably no more nutty than brewing yourself a pour-over or growing your own tomatoes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

thotsky posted:

Replicator adoption is not portrayed as being universal on earth. It's probably no more nutty than brewing yourself a pour-over or growing your own tomatoes.

Would you say it's more or less nutty than starting a new post to respond to an individual quote?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Nessus posted:

I suspect the Klingon government is very clear that they are telling everyone to stop shooting, and that anyone who KEEPS shooting will face Klingon justice if captured, but that realistically, some handful of jackoffs will probably ignore the order or claim to have 'not received it due to a targ on the console.' The Feds are probably used to it

V-Men posted:

That one Klingon officer was ready to attack the Enterprise over space rust. And that was clearly at peacetime.

Ships and troops are gonna have general orders, standing orders, and rules of engagement. All it takes is the perception you might be attacked to trigger things.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Taear posted:

Uh I dunno what you mean sorry

When I say earlier in the timeline I mean the Klingon War ended in DS9 before that episode but it's randomly still going on. The cease fire ends and is re-started over the course of the episode even, it's so weird

SNW has an episode with extended flashbacks to a MASH-style military hospital in the First Klingon War.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

thotsky posted:

Where is that stated? The Enterprise probably gets some choice assignments by virtue of being the flagship, but I think that outside of the season finales (where the narrative requires The Enterprise to be involved in Big Events) the show is pretty representative for all Starfleet ships with comparable missions.

In Die Hard In Space Starship Mine, Geordi says something about the ship having a lot more warp hours or light years or whatever than most other ships.

thotsky posted:

I mean, the Cerritos is meant to be an example of a ship that gets the short end of the stick and they still see plenty of action.

That might have been what it started as, but by... third season? the episode with the memory-fantasy monsters (where a fake Leah Brahms tries to tempt Rutherford, among other things) the crew from the other California-class on the scene tells the Cerritos characters that the Cerritos is truly exceptional among the California-class in the amount of adventure it gets up to.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

In Die Hard In Space Starship Mine, Geordi says something about the ship having a lot more warp hours or light years or whatever than most other ships.

Well, they were mysteriously moved incredibly distances at faster than warp speed at least three times, one time leaving our galaxy, another time our reality. That doesn't directly relate to lethality though.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That might have been what it started as, but by... third season? the episode with the memory-fantasy monsters (where a fake Leah Brahms tries to tempt Rutherford, among other things) the crew from the other California-class on the scene tells the Cerritos characters that the Cerritos is truly exceptional among the California-class in the amount of adventure it gets up to.

Yeah, it's basically implied that among the crews of the California-class ships, the Cerritos's name and reputation command the same level of awe and reverence that the Enterprise does for the rest of Starfleet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

W.T. Fits posted:

Yeah, it's basically implied that among the crews of the California-class ships, the Cerritos's name and reputation command the same level of awe and reverence that the Enterprise does for the rest of Starfleet.

It's more than implied, the other crew straight up says 'the Cerritos is the Enterprise of support ships'.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The Cerritos might very well be the "luckiest" California class, or second-contact ship out there, but the central conceit remains that they're playing second fiddle to other ships in the fleet.

I don't really understand why one would even entertain the idea that Starfleet is not a horror show. How many ships were lost at Wolf 359? How many have been lost in some nebula, or found adrift with all crew dead?

I can't quite bring myself to consider any nuTrek canon, but Mariner is not upset with The Enterprise specifically for the death of her Bajoran friend; it's described as an issue with life in Starfleet.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

thotsky posted:

I don't really understand why one would even entertain the idea that Starfleet is not a horror show. How many ships were lost at Wolf 359? How many have been lost in some nebula, or found adrift with all crew dead?

40 ships, 11,000 dead. A tiny number!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I can't imagine how different humans dealing with trauma would be if we lived in utopian post-scarcity. I would only assume that grief counseling can hit warp speed as well

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

thotsky posted:

I can't quite bring myself to consider any nuTrek canon,

Oh, I see. I guess I'm done here.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
We see just as many colonies wiped out - the Crystalline Entity alone was just roaming space wiping out entire worlds on a regular basis. And how many times did Earth itself come within a hair's breadth of being annihilated?

All things being equal, I'd feel safer on a starship that can at least try and get away from the latest doomsday machine when it goes on a rampage.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

MikeJF posted:

It's more than implied, the other crew straight up says 'the Cerritos is the Enterprise of support ships'.

It's been awhile since I watched the episode, and I couldn't remember if it was directly stated or only implied.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Angry Salami posted:

All things being equal, I'd feel safer on a starship that can at least try and get away from the latest doomsday machine when it goes on a rampage.

It's not really presented as such, but if you think about it, any planet in a society that exists with the technology and energy that the Federation has access to has a 100% chance of eventually being destroyed by that tech. Either from external or internal conflict. It's just too big and too easy a target. You've got FTL on even tiny ships. Lob a fuckin rock at a planet at high impulse, job done.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ashpanash posted:

It's not really presented as such, but if you think about it, any planet in a society that exists with the technology and energy that the Federation has access to has a 100% chance of eventually being destroyed by that tech. Either from external or internal conflict. It's just too big and too easy a target. You've got FTL on even tiny ships. Lob a fuckin rock at a planet at high impulse, job done.

Star Trek Picard retconned planetary shields into the 24th century setting (it's implied in season one that they've been around for ages and are common on even smaller planets)

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Star Trek Picard retconned planetary shields into the 24th century setting (it's implied in season one that they've been around for ages and are common on even smaller planets)

It's Star Trek. Shields fail, that's a given.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ashpanash posted:

This is why the Culture mostly lives on Orbitals instead.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Soul Dentist posted:

I can't imagine how different humans dealing with trauma would be if we lived in utopian post-scarcity. I would only assume that grief counseling can hit warp speed as well

I wonder if hanging out with holodeck re-creations of your dead loved ones would be a common coping mechanism or a guaranteed ticket to crazytown.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This is why the Culture mostly lives on Orbitals instead.

Not really, they could secure a planet as easily as they can secure an orbital. They don't live on planets because it's gauche to mess up a natural planetary environment with your civilisation when you could just build your own. Also orbitals are bigger and it's easy to make a lot more than there are habitable planets.

ashpanash posted:

It's Star Trek. Shields fail, that's a given.

True, but it'll protect you against basic lobbed ships and asteroids.

(Also Earth's planetary shield (it seemed like the shields of the planet and New Spacedock were interlinked?) was incredibly resilient in Picard, it held up to constant firepower from 400 federation ships for a few hours. Presumably it can draw on pretty massive resources.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 12, 2024

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

MikeJF posted:

I still don't think it's a retcon. There are enough references to shields being used on continents or hemispheres in TOS that the idea they could be expanded to the whole planet by the 24th century is a natural progression of the technology.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

MikeJF posted:

True, but it'll protect you against basic lobbed ships and asteroids.

(Also Earth's planetary shield (it seemed like the shields of the planet and New Spacedock were interlinked?) was ridiculously resilient in Picard, it held up to constant firepower from 400 federation ships for a few hours)

I'm not saying it's going to happen this time or the next time or the next hundred thousand times, but it's eventually going to happen. The probability of the planet eventually being destroyed by the technology or the state of the society becomes 100%. Someone will eventually come along and infect your young adults with the woke borg mind virus and blow your asses up, and the plucky nonagenarian, semi-synthetic hero won't get there in time or have a backup 20-year-old starship fully rebuilt, loaded with torpedos, and functional with a crew of 6 other old people on board.

Hell, maybe it won't be by war or greed or power, directly. Maybe a space god will misplace it or have a malicious thought and scour the surface of the world. Maybe a neighboring spacefaring civilization will activate a doomsday device that devours your world and everything within a 1000-light-year radius. Relativistic rocks are uncreative, but just the easiest.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The probability of any civilisation surviving in any setting goes to zero in a long enough timeframe.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I am rewatching Picard season 3 with a friend and goddamn is that a badly written show

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Friends don't

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Years of weaponized nostalgia have vaccinated me against legacy sequels and I am extremely glad that I had no urge to watch Picard

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Eason the Fifth posted:

Years of weaponized nostalgia have vaccinated me against legacy sequels and I am extremely glad that I had no urge to watch Picard

I don't need to tell you this but you've made the right choice, or come to the right set of realizations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FuturePastNow posted:

I am rewatching Picard season 3 with a friend and goddamn is that a badly written show

I think it's an improvement over season 2, but that's saying VERY little.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

I think it's an improvement over season 2, but that's saying VERY little.

VERY little indeed. -1,000,000 is technically less negative than -1,000,001, but the order of magnitude is the same and it's still negative.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

thotsky posted:

Probably we're not as smart as you. :v:

It's a fair point. It would certainly shape people who are on the exploratory edge of the Federation. But I suspect that is just the glamorous part of Starfleet. There are doubtless a bunch of guys just tooling around on patrol, even if they may simultaneously be doing some science poo poo while cruising through Spinward Andorian Space.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eason the Fifth posted:

It's literally 10 hours of redressing one dude's list of grievances with the past 30 years of Star Trek. A guy picking up his toys and cradling them and crying because he didn't like the sloppy way the last guy who played with them 20 years ago just left them out all over the floor for people to step on and break. A show made by a YouTuber with action figures stapled to his wall who's cheesed off that the franchise hasn't sufficiently jacked off the poo poo from his childhood and made it look and sound and feel exactly like it did when he was a kid.

Weaponized Nostalgia is the perfect descriptor for Picard Season 3. Unwatchable Dogshit is the descriptor for Season 2, and "Eh, at least they sort of tried in comparison" sums up Season 1.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

It's literally 10 hours of redressing one dude's list of grievances with the past 30 years of Star Trek. A guy picking up his toys and cradling them and crying because he didn't like the sloppy way the last guy who played with them 20 years ago just left them out all over the floor for people to step on and break. A show made by a YouTuber with action figures stapled to his wall who's cheesed off that the franchise hasn't sufficiently jacked off the poo poo from his childhood and made it look and sound and feel exactly like it did when he was a kid.

You read that review of Twovix too, huh?

quote:

As imagined by Treacle, the Voyager museum is a lifeless experience. It is all velvet ropes and information panels, exhibits, and replicas. Everything has its place. It recalls the curative fandom that defined so much of the third season of Picard, most obviously in episodes like “The Bounty.” Everything is sealed in plastic in mint condition, restored like the bridge of the Enterprise in “Vox.” To its credit, Lower Decks has little patience for this approach. Toys are meant to be played with.

Naturally, “Twovix” finds the Lower Decks cast making quite a mess of Voyager. By the end of the episode, the ship is covered in sticky green alien gunk and overflowing with cheese. “We did it!” Boimler screams in triumph. “We broke Voyager!” If this is what Star Trek is to be — a franchise largely about throwing existing toys together in the hopes of evoking the audience’s memory of some distant childhood — then it should at least crash those toys into one another with passion and vigor.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

You read that review of Twovix too, huh?

Hah. I did not, but that's a good take on the diametric opposite creative outlooks of Terry Matalas and Mike McMahan. I swear, the second I found out that Terry Matalas was an amateur DeLorean restoration guru, everything about Picard Season 3 and why it's so offputting on subcutaneous level just clicked into place for me. TNG was his DeLorean, and Season 3 was his restoration job on it because he was a big fan of Back to the Future.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I was hit hard by the weaponized nostalgia. The first 8 episodes are a fun romp and I loved Todd Stashwick as Shaw.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I was hit hard by the weaponized nostalgia. The first 8 episodes are a fun romp and I loved Todd Stashwick as Shaw.

"Come on Terry, you can stick the landing on this one, just don't bring the Borg back again... don't bring the Borg back again... don't bring the Borg ba--poo poo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lukevictorious
Mar 31, 2019

this is the water
Odo, you are a member of an ancient and powerful group of beings, whose consciousness can become one in the Great Link.

If self awareness is the universe learning about itself, you are an attempt by us to learn about the universe. We regret that we were not there for your growing pains, your triumphs and your failures. But it was the only way for us to become more.

You will see our world and countless more, you will spread across space and time in the configuration of infinite life forms, from the Perettian glare-hawk to the Xindi-aquatics. And in your doing, we will learn as well.

Extraordinary, really, separated by ninety thousand light years due to the anomaly, that on your own you discovered the most sacred tenet of our people. No, not that nonsense about one changeling never harming another.

You found the bucket, the same bucket that all changelings find, all across the galaxy. The drop becomes the ocean, the ocean becomes the drop, the drop becomes the bucket.

gently caress Star Trek Picard.