Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I need to finish my PhD thesis so frankly I'm glad they're releasing when they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

lines posted:

I need to finish my PhD thesis so frankly I'm glad they're releasing when they are.

look out everyone its dr. final fantasy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
who's the most grad student scion? urianger?

* book nerd
* loves terrible food
* always talking theory
* not sure where he actually sleeps or w/e

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

lines posted:

Are you gonna get a sick neck tattoo?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jonny 290 posted:

who's the most grad student scion? urianger?

* book nerd
* loves terrible food
* always talking theory
* not sure where he actually sleeps or w/e

Aren't half of them canonically grad students

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Aren't half of them canonically grad students

Are there any still officially in school? Think they all graduated, right? Super special tattoo and all that.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah they're all have their doctorates at this point.

Even Thancred.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Even Thancred.

His is in child development

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

lmao

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Preparing for a flood of Lady Dimitrescu’s

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I suppose Alphinaud and Alisaie are vaguely in a gap year before becoming graduate students.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm finishing my last uh, roughly 10 steps of 6.0 tonight (live! never been spoiled! No idea what's about to happen!) and think that i've probably paced things fine. i got patches, alliances, getting my war up from 65, and a relic or three to knock out. should keep me busy

are you streaming it on twitch? i thought i followed you but maybe i'm not

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There's only currently four Archons in the Scions where the story is at: G'raha Tia, Thancred, Urianger, and Y'shtola. Alisaie, Alphinaud, and Krile are all graduates of the Sharlayan Studium, but are not Archons. There are other allies of the Scions who are Sharlayan graduates and/or Archons, but are not formally Scions themselves.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
A friend of mine described the Scions as "a bunch of grad students on a pub crawl across the world."

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Considering if it weren't for Louisoix most of the archons would be on their third or fourth doctorate equivalent this fits way too well.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Krile's about to get her doctorate in moogle lasers

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
And Endwalker was the most "Grad students will recognize themselves in this" expansion. Just nerds all the way down.

Louisoix was that professor who goes out drinking with students after class (the best professor). Not the one creeping on students, but the one who just really wanted to keep discussing numerology in early modern poetry while also needing some wine.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kwyndig posted:

Considering if it weren't for Louisoix most of the archons would be on their third or fourth doctorate equivalent this fits way too well.

If it weren't for Louisoix most of the archons would be trying to survive in a post-Calamity Hellscape, but I get your point.

HPanda posted:

Louisoix was that professor who goes out drinking with students after class (the best professor). Not the one creeping on students, but the one who just really wanted to keep discussing numerology in early modern poetry while also needing some wine.

I liked the story where he just sat down with Galuf to have a spontantous picnic-slash-discussion.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So I'm a long-time FFXIV PS5 player and am wanting to convert over to PC as I'm spending most of my free time on Steam Deck. My understanding is that I should be able to play my PS5 account characters on PC; I just have to re-purchase the complete pack to do so. Two quick questions:

1) Anyone have recommendations on whether to buy my PC account on Mogstation vs. Steam? Steam seems like it'd be slightly easier to update and launch on Steamdeck but it seems most other indicators I've read online are that I should buy on Mogstation.

2) Will my PC account import my controller settings/layout from the PS5 or will I be re-binding everything? I assume (and fear) the latter, but I'm hoping otherwise.

Anything else I should consider?

(and yes, I know I can Chiaki my PS5 account but I don't ALWAYS plan on having my PS5 available to stream to my deck.)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You'll have to rebind, UI settings are platform specific unless they changed that in the last two years.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Kwyndig posted:

You'll have to rebind, UI settings are platform specific unless they changed that in the last two years.

There's an import/export feature now!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Memnaelar posted:

1) Anyone have recommendations on whether to buy my PC account on Mogstation vs. Steam? Steam seems like it'd be slightly easier to update and launch on Steamdeck but it seems most other indicators I've read online are that I should buy on Mogstation.

I would not buy on Steam, but through Squeenix directly, they have different sales and you won't get locked into the Steam ecosystem for PC. Luckily, you can launch XIV through the Steam Deck very easily without having to have it on Steam, though you do have to add the demo version to your library.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The main disadvantages to the Steam account version are that you're locked in to Steam for that account for purchasing any expansions as well, and that outages on Steam (such as Tuesday maintenances) can disrupt your login process regardless of the status of the XIV servers. On the plus side, the game and expansions still go on sale regularly on Steam, too, and it is indeed slightly easier to get the initial set-up done (the stand-alone download is weirdly squirreled away on Square Enix's site).

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Even Thancred.

a PhD in holding his breath

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

I have a six hour video of me crying and screaming and fighting and being so, so happy at the end of it all.

What a game.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

I have a six hour video of me crying and screaming and fighting and being so, so happy at the end of it all.

What a game.

Glad to hear you've gotten through that rollercoaster, buddy.

Take a break and then get yourself ready for another great little arc in the patch MSQ. Feel free to ping me if you need a party member.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Got up to wormholes in TEA so far and drat, what a fight. I think I still prefer DSR (although DSR is kinda stressful sometimes), but I always wanted to do TEA, it's pretty much the fight that I was aiming for when I started doing ults.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So, they've announced another cool really expensive statue with an emote you'll almost never see!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWUVuf5MGYg

Time for the most pointlessly stylish way to tell someone that they're walking home.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Vitamean posted:

and savage criterion dungeons.

been working on getting that Epic Hero title, and the other day i saw a Rokkon Savage party with only a healer slot open so i figured, i healed the normal version and already progged it on other jobs, so i'm sure it'll be easy to adjust

that proved to be a horrible mistake

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Cleretic posted:

So, they've announced another cool really expensive statue with an emote you'll almost never see!

Time for the most pointlessly stylish way to tell someone that they're walking home.

Oh no, that one's even cooler than the Omega ones.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cleretic posted:

This is another good emote to log out in the middle of

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Cleretic posted:

Henceforth, we shall swag.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Here's the Amazon link for the second Endwalker art book. According to Square it's supposed to be available for preorder sometime today so keep checking (and save yourself square shipping if you can help it)

https://a.co/d/8lum3Mi

The minion will be a 'Zodiark Idol'.

E: Forgot to mention, release date in June!

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 12, 2024

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

drat! that figure is hideous.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Memnaelar posted:

they're both exactly as easy to update, since like other MMOs steam just downloads the initial skeleton of the game and the ff14 launcher actually downloads and updates the game

whether you get it from steam or mogstation i'd recommend using the community launcher, it's faster at downloading updates and can be more reliable (it can actually validate your game files and download replacements for specific ones, where the official launcher can only wipe everything out and redownload). if you do get it from mogstation the community launcher is a much easier setup on deck and it handles making sure game mode sees the right application for controller mappings

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Vitamean posted:

drat! that figure is hideous.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really wish there was some way to get those emotes besides paying $200 for an ugly rear end figure I don't want but welp.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I really wish there was some way to get those emotes besides paying $200 for an ugly rear end figure I don't want but welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'm glad the overly busy emote is locked behind something most people can't afford so I only have to see it like once a season when I'm passing through limsa.