Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Oops. Still can’t believe it exists and hasn’t been review bombed into oblivion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the people who would give it a bad review wouldn't buy it in the first place

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Also the internet is a wasteland of fuckos

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

ZeusCannon posted:

Also the internet is a wasteland of fuckos

You can buy the game, finish it, review it, and still have an hour to return it.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Jonny Nox posted:

You can buy the game, finish it, review it, and still have an hour to return it.

isn't this a speedrun category now lol

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
refund%

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Alexjonesrevenue0%

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Oh look, more Steam jump-scare shovelware trying to bootstrap off that YouTube animation that got super popular last year.

That's certainly a price tag.

Seems like a better deal.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Radio Paranoia posted:

Oh look, more Steam jump-scare shovelware trying to bootstrap off that YouTube animation that got super popular last year.

That's certainly a price tag.

Seems like a better deal.
They price it this way to artificially inflate their personal SteamGifts.com level so they can enter into higher-tier contests.

Yes, really.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Guess what?

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamworks/announcements/detail/3862463747997849619

It's time for a whole new set of lovely games! Steam previously didn't allow machine learning games because '"there is some legal uncertainty relating to data used to train AI models", but games using AI can now be sold on Steam as long as you pinky swear that it doesn't have 'illegal or infringing content'.

https://aftermath.site/ai-allowed-games-steam-valve

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

just imagine, with GPT generating ren'py scripts and stable diffusion generating sprites and CGs you could churn out hentai visual novels with no human input whatsoever

it's a revolution in shovelware development

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

What is the definition of AI game they're using here? Because Vaudeville which has you conversing with AI is already on Steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE1QFZFLJnY

This game, Suck Up, does it better though. But it's not on Steam allegedly for AI-related reasons?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLKUvrs8kFI

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 10, 2024

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I don't get the hype behind live AI characters, because the lack of control over the output means you can't use those characters for anything plot centric, so they would simply be delegated to filler NPCs.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Technically the announcement covers all AI-generated content but Valve's main concern has to be AI artwork.

They make a distinction between two types: Pre-generated (using AI tools to make art, speech, music, etc. during development and implementing it ahead of release) and Live-generated (this content is made on the fly, potentially allowing users to input queries in some way)

Adult Only games will not be able to use live AI content generation because Valve would never be able to monitor it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ymgve posted:

I don't get the hype behind live AI characters, because the lack of control over the output means you can't use those characters for anything plot centric, so they would simply be delegated to filler NPCs.

Can't be used for filler NPCs either, unless you literally give zero shits about worldbuilding or immersion. In which case why do you have filler NPCs at all?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

Can't be used for filler NPCs either, unless you literally give zero shits about worldbuilding or immersion. In which case why do you have filler NPCs at all?
Ask Bethesda.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It's because the people who are pushing for this in games don't know or care about games as industry or medium. They hold them and the people who play them in utter contempt, and are just trying to extrude enough slop into the trough for the dumb little piggies to choke down as cheaply as possible, and a bunch of computers work a hell of a lot more cheaply than actual people. Sure, the results are garbage, but who cares, it's just more grist for the content mill. Oink oink and open your wallet.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Clarste posted:

could still work if applied within a specific context, like if the intended theme is a dead world filled with broken robots just sortof existing with no meaning or purpose in endlessly imitating whatever input data they were given

or surreal satire in general?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
It's interesting that they include "code" in that requirement since it means basically every developer has to ask whether their employees are using something like Github Copilot (or even something as simple as IntelliCode? MS calls it AI) add it in under the assumption that someone is. Which is not something I've seen anywhere else.

Just given the number of developers, I would expect every AAA game to have a disclosure for it. Although Valve may choose to forego including it as a disclosure on the store page I guess.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 10, 2024

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Clarste posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sCWf2VGdfc

Right now there's some lag either way for parsing player speech and then generating a response, but I'm sure that won't be the case for ever.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LLMs are great at search and cross-entity synthesis, compared to what we had before, so I think they’d be good for flavour commentary once you tuned the model on enough content about the world and figured out how to adjust it for world events (can probably do it with a clever enough system prompt?).

You could also tune it on the “encyclopedia” content that some games have as documentation, so the player could ask natural language questions about “how do I raise my agility?” or “what weapons are good against trolls?” — using their voice, even!

For the first category you would probably be better off using the LLM offline to generate a huge number of static texts than doing inference on the player’s machine, but the latter would need to be live. If the game’s paused while they ask, though, then you have most of their GPU to work with.

We’re going to see a lot of terrible crap before anyone uses it well, though. An awful lot.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It will never be good, hth

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sCWf2VGdfc

Right now there's some lag either way for parsing player speech and then generating a response, but I'm sure that won't be the case for ever.

that just seems to prove their point, the NPCs in that demo are generic blank slates which don't incorporate any novel worldbuilding or interaction with the game state beyond dropping everything to talk to the player when they start talking

once the novelty of talking to chatgpt inside a game wears off there's not much actually there

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

If you could actually get them to start talking about plot and world relevant stuff they're 100% guaranteed to make poo poo up that contradicts the setting.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m fine with some unreliable narration from NPCs, tbh

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Every game can now have its MGS2 Colonel Campbell moment, with trivial creator effort!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It will never be any graveyard duck

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Maybe I'm just too hyper alert for AI art now, but I swear the banner for the latest low-effort asset flip sim game Beer Factory is AI generated (both the guy and the background).

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 12, 2024

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I feel like being called (Thing) Simulator has kind of wavered in what exactly it means. At first it meant "deliberately janky simulation of a mundane activity," such as Surgeon Simulator and Goat Simulator. then it went up to "simulation of a mundane activity played (mostly) straight," like with Powerwash Simulator. And now the pendulum has swung back, and it means "this is zero-effort trash, not even deliberately janky for funny YouTube clips, it's just poo poo" again.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It started as zero effort trash, Goat Simulator was a direct parody of that. Most of them were just blatant copies of Farming Simulator which goes back to 2008.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 12, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

there's unreliable and then there's elder scrolls NPCs accidentally talking about being from new york because the LLM is an inscrutable black box that can only be tweaked on a best effort basis

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Subjunctive posted:

We get it you're an ai shill, golly.

Edit: this isn't the guy I thought I was replying to

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

MechaCrash posted:

I feel like being called (Thing) Simulator has kind of wavered in what exactly it means. At first it meant "deliberately janky simulation of a mundane activity," such as Surgeon Simulator and Goat Simulator. then it went up to "simulation of a mundane activity played (mostly) straight," like with Powerwash Simulator. And now the pendulum has swung back, and it means "this is zero-effort trash, not even deliberately janky for funny YouTube clips, it's just poo poo" again.

Surgeon and Goat simulator were never meant to be in the simulator genre though. It’s just a name.

Shovelware is a totally separate history that goes back to the days of Windows 95 and Walmart and cardboard boxes. One of the guys Soren Johnson interviewed on his old podcast got his start making a fire truck simulator that was designed specifically to be sold at Walmart. The sequel was more of the same with brand sponsorship. They sold well, usually, for what went into making them.

Unrelated.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Someone posted AI art in the Disco Elysium thread a little while back and hoo boy is that the wrongest thread for that poo poo. lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Meowywitch posted:

We get it you're an ai shill, golly.

Edit: this isn't the guy I thought I was replying to

I think AI is way overhyped and people trying to use LLMs to invent things or do medical diagnostics or recommend inventions are suckers. I do think that the underlying tech of LLM for searching through very-high-dimensional data sets is something that could be quite useful once it gets refined a bit more and people learn better how to work with it.

games are very low-stakes in a bunch of ways, so I expect we’ll see people very much overreach their and the technology’s capabilities and ship a lot of terrible stuff. but I also think that it’s possible to use today’s-or-very-soon LLM toolkits in ways that could be genuinely helpful for some games

everywhere outside of SA I’m considered an LLM cynic, so being thought of as a shill because I don’t think they are of literally zero utility is sort of funny to me

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Even if AI NPCs work correctly, it's a feature you'll use once, go "huh, neat" and then never touch again. Also you're always stuck using voice synthesizers which will stick out no matter how good they get.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It just reminds me of the backer characters in Pillars Of Eternity 1. Click on them to get a glurge of background relevant to nothing, or better yet don’t.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Railing Kill posted:

Someone posted AI art in the Disco Elysium thread a little while back and hoo boy is that the wrongest thread for that poo poo. lol

the posters in that thread feel threatened because AI could write a better script

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

the posters in that thread feel threatened because AI could write a better script

Autisanal Cheese posted:

nice to see AI chat on the forums is still cool and normal

lol maybe bet on a better horse than the poster who called criticism of machine generated art AI transvestigation.

mycot fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
The problem with LLMs is that they're basically confabulation engines. They can't not make things up. They don't know they're lying, they just have no concept of truth. This can work fine, in theory, if a player isn't going off the rails, but holy poo poo will they go full steam off a cliff alongside they player if the player is being deliberately antagonistic or they are just confused.

You can't really remove "hallucinations" from an LLM without making it just a text dump machine, because making things up is the entire point. I guess you could train an LLM on solely a complex and rich fully built out collection of text related only to the world you're building, so they don't have any other internal concepts to draw from, but lol at that happening.