Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

shame on an IGA posted:

it's even funnier that excluding 9/11 would've only dropped the figure from 99.8% to 99.5%, just a completely unnecessary own goal

if they were serious they could've just screnshotted the 3701 transcript

The intent was probably to hammer out something that sounded like it was impressive while also scaring John Q. Public into submission in 5 minutes or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
TSA goon just straight up catcalled 2 of the FA’s I walked out with. It was creepy and lame as poo poo.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

TSA goon just straight up catcalled 2 of the FA’s I walked out with. It was creepy and lame as poo poo.

check your PM (unrelated to the TSA mouthbreathers)

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Rolo posted:

Correct response is "Don't you have grandmas to fondle?"

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

check your PM (unrelated to the TSA mouthbreathers)

Heyyy nice I’ll add you when I get done today

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I am having a real bad day

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1W1ml-uRT0

What DPE in their right mind signed her off for a private or what cereal box did she get her ticket off the back of?

Not only was she a lovely pilot, but she recorded and posted it to the interwebs for everyone to see.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i watch a fair amount of aviation content on youtube so the algorithm is always trying to show me more, and at a glance it seems like there are a lot of people trying to be "learning to fly after doing my hair and putting on full makeup" influencer-types

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1W1ml-uRT0

What DPE in their right mind signed her off for a private or what cereal box did she get her ticket off the back of?

Not only was she a lovely pilot, but she recorded and posted it to the interwebs for everyone to see.

Didn’t she die?

edit, turns out if I pressed play that video covers it very clearly lol

Edit 2- holy poo poo I can’t believe she posted that. Can’t believe I share the skies with people like this, holy gently caress.

Bob A Feet fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 12, 2024

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Holy poo poo

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Bob A Feet posted:

Didn’t she die?

edit, turns out if I pressed play that video covers it very clearly lol

Edit 2- holy poo poo I can’t believe she posted that. Can’t believe I share the skies with people like this, holy gently caress.

Yeah, that video is very much "well the fact that she's dead makes a lot of sense, actually".

She had Foreflight on two devices, a Garmin 430, and a more advanced GPS of some sort, in VFR conditions, on a 40 mile XC. You could probably SEE Knoxville not long into the flight :wtc:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I think her CFI’s failed her.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
As someone going through my first few instructed flights (Just practiced power on stalls), its crazy to me hwo people can be so careless with flying. Like I am overly anal no doubt, but its just mind boggling to me you can be that bad and so carefree about it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Kwolok posted:

As someone going through my first few instructed flights (Just practiced power on stalls), its crazy to me hwo people can be so careless with flying. Like I am overly anal no doubt, but its just mind boggling to me you can be that bad and so carefree about it.

The problem is that she didn't know what she didn't know. Her instructors really did fail. From watching her talk in her videos I get a feeling that she genuinely wanted to do well. She even fired one of the CFI's for being too lax on her and too helpful instead of teaching her to be a good instrument pilot.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kwolok posted:

By the time I touched an airplane for real for the first time, I had been reading fighter pilot memoirs and I Learned About Flying From That columns for years. I had family members that were both civilian and former military pilots. I had a healthy respect for both the machine and the environment in which it operates. This has only become more true with time and further experiences.

Unfortunately, not everybody entering aviation has these advantages, and a lot of them think an airplane is a Toyota with wings and that you just have to memorize some laws so you don’t get in trouble.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Animal posted:

She even fired one of the CFI's for being too lax on her and too helpful instead of teaching her to be a good instrument pilot.

I got the impression from earlier coverage of her accident that this was only after commenters on her videos called out that her instructor was basically doing everything for her and this is a Bad Thing™️.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Animal posted:

The problem is that she didn't know what she didn't know. Her instructors really did fail. From watching her talk in her videos I get a feeling that she genuinely wanted to do well. She even fired one of the CFI's for being too lax on her and too helpful instead of teaching her to be a good instrument pilot.

Man I got the absolute opposite from watching that. I don't disagree at all that her instructors categorically failed her, and yes it is hard to not know what you don't know, but it's not like she was insulated from the aviation community, she was vlogging her experience, I'm sure she was aware of her mistakes (and she often commented on them as though they were more funny than terrifying).

I agree that her instructors are the first line of defense and they should all be looked at under a microscope after this, but I can't help but feel like she did not have the right attitude or attention for this field.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Getting lost while you're still in sight of the departure airport is a hell of a thing. Absolutely zero sense of situational awareness. Just turn to 092 and hold it there for 20 minutes! That's your flight! You don't need two GPS units and an iPad and your cell phone to do this!!

I agree that this is mostly about her instructors (and her DPE! Jesus, I hope that guy gets the third degree) failing horribly in their jobs, but I don't understand how after 400 hours she didn't even accidentally pick up concepts like "if I need to fly east, that compass in the windscreen should have the E at the top." Perhaps some people are really just that dumb. The comments on the YouTube video say that she also posted vlogs of her driving around town, and she regularly blew through stop signs and nearly hit other cars and pedestrians.

What was her goal for flying I wonder? It sure doesn't seem like she was all that interested in aviation as a skill. Just wanted to become an influencer and decided that this was the way? Flying as a means to a completely unrelated end?

Sad that she died, and tragic that she took a passenger with her. But I'm reminded of a safety seminar I took at the flight school once. The presenter asked:

"How many of you have known a pilot who was involved in some sort of flying accident or incident?"

About a dozen people, maybe a quarter of the room, put up their hands. The presenter continued:

"When you heard that there had been an accident, and you heard who it was, how many of you were surprised to hear it was *that* guy?"

One or two hands tentatively wavered up and down. The other 10 stayed down.

E: the NTSB says in the wreckage of her fatal flight they found "two intact digital video recording devices" (GoPros). I dread what those videos are going to show.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 12, 2024

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

I dread what those videos are going to show.

Tertiary minimums

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Getting lost while you're still in sight of the departure airport is a hell of a thing. Absolutely zero sense of situational awareness. Just turn to 092 and hold it there for 20 minutes! That's your flight! You don't need two GPS units and an iPad and your cell phone to do this!!

Yep. Part of ppl requirements is a xc flight navigating by pilotage and dead reckoning - that is, identify landmarks, time the segments between them, without the aid of gps or vor. Which isn't needed when the airport is like... right over there

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yellowD posted:

Yep. Part of ppl requirements is a xc flight navigating by pilotage and dead reckoning - that is, identify landmarks, time the segments between them, without the aid of gps or vor. Which isn't needed when the airport is like... right over there

And even if her compass exploded right after takeoff, the airport is right next to the interstate. All she needed to do was follow it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I enjoyed when her non-pilot father wanted to start loving around with the circuit breakers.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

yellowD posted:

One of my former instructors and later colleagues talked about the Children of the Magenta Line. She would cover or turn the 430 off at times during training so it didn't become a crutch.

My review flight for instrument, which was really a "get a feel for the DPE because he's kind of a dickhead", involved him turning the 430 to a screen that didn't depict any navigation information to simulate that it wasn't working.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
One thing I've come to grips with is that, for younger students, it might be their first time navigating -- period, in any context -- without active GPS assistance. It's not just relying too much on GPS in planes, it's being fundamentally weak at the skill of knowing where you are, or using a map that doesn't indicate exactly where you are at any given time. It's our job to recognize that and bridge the gap appropriately, not just blame the shiny GPS for being too easy.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My hot take that I know nobody cares about but I gotta post it:

Always hated the “children of the magenta” thing. When I was an instructor the boomer students were even worse at figuring out how to navigate with older tech and literally the only ones who complained when I turned screens off.

If your student cannot understand old school navigation, it isn’t because they’re children, it’s because you aren’t teaching it to them.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Rolo posted:

My hot take that I know nobody cares about but I gotta post it:

Always hated the “children of the magenta” thing. When I was an instructor the boomer students were even worse at figuring out how to navigate with older tech and literally the only ones who complained when I turned screens off.

If your student cannot understand old school navigation, it isn’t because they’re children, it’s because you aren’t teaching it to them.

"Children" is figurative. And in the famous AA video of Capt. Vandgerburgh's seminar where the phrase originated (or at least caught on), he makes the point multiple times that it's the training department's fault, and "we" (the training department) have failed all those pilots.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah a year or two ago i had a high schooler ask me "what did people do before they had google maps?"

i said "they used maps"

"no, before there was Maps."

"they used paper...maps."

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

yeah a year or two ago i had a high schooler ask me "what did people do before they had google maps?"

i said "they used maps"

"no, before there was Maps."

"they used paper...maps."

We dialed up into the internet, opened a website with driving instructions, then we printed them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rolo posted:

Oh yeah, just to be clear, that's exactly my take on it. But I think it's possible we have a tendency to overlook just how much we have to teach in some cases, which makes us all the more responsible to do it properly. For example, if you have a student who remembers navigating driving-wise with paper maps, you need to teach them how to use a VFR chart. If you have a student who has never used a paper map for anything, then you need to teach them the basic skills of orienting oneself with a paper map, and then teach them how to use a VFR chart. If you have a student who lacks even basic directional awareness (like, where is "West"), then you need to teach them that, then how to use a paper map, then how to use a VFR chart. What I'm saying is that you can't assume that students, in this case but also more generally, have the background knowledge you simply assume everyone has. It's not to condescend to them or blame them, it's just part of being a good instructor. If you don't know the difference between fuel or oil, or that you shouldn't sniff gasoline, we'll get you across the line, but it's important we fill in those gaps along the way. Yes, those are all examples I've dealt with personally. I don't assume a goddamn thing any more.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

PT6A posted:

Oh yeah, just to be clear, that's exactly my take on it.

Oh for sure, I know what you mean and I wasn’t talking about “you” specifically.

vessbot posted:

"Children" is figurative. And in the famous AA video of Capt. Vandgerburgh's seminar where the phrase originated (or at least caught on), he makes the point multiple times that it's the training department's fault, and "we" (the training department) have failed all those pilots.

That helps to read. For those that don’t see my posting often enough, I get triggered when old pilots complain about young pilots.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Rolo posted:

I get triggered when pilots

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 13, 2024

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Pilots are the worst.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PT6A posted:

or that you shouldn't sniff gasoline,

speak for yourself! :okpos:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Animal posted:

We dialed up into the internet, opened a website with driving instructions, then we printed them.

The still wilder one to me is phoning up AAA and ordering a triptik for your route.

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

E: the NTSB says in the wreckage of her fatal flight they found "two intact digital video recording devices" (GoPros). I dread what those videos are going to show.

Yeah the NTSB must be in possession of one of the most horrifying videos of all time - it looks like they were in a steep dive for a fair amount of time, probably alert, confused, and terrified. Oof

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kathmandu posted:

Yeah the NTSB must be in possession of one of the most horrifying videos of all time - it looks like they were in a steep dive for a fair amount of time, probably alert, confused, and terrified. Oof

It isn’t likely that there will even be a transcript, right? GA reports are rarely large, detailed dockets.

As for the content, that reminded me… There was an off broadway play from the late 90s called Charlie Victor Romeo which was fairly straight reenactments of several incidents and accidents. They did JAL123, the painted static ports crash and Yukla 27. The wild thing is how much worse those choices could’ve been even at the time (we gaan!). It being a “play” also kinda weirded me out for some reason, idkw because fundamentally it’s the same type of reenactment as a documentary.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 13, 2024

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Animal posted:

Pilots are the worst.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

There was an off broadway play from the late 90s called Charlie Victor Romeo which was fairly reenactments of several incidents and accidents. They did JAL123, the painted static ports crash and Yukla 27.

:stare:

The Aristocapts!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It's always interesting to discuss how to bring up this subject with students. The bottom line is: if you gently caress up bad enough as a pilot, the consequence is you will die and you will take your passengers with you. There's really no two ways about that. And I've certainly dealt with students who need the message: you need to take this poo poo seriously, because if you don't, it will cost human lives. Stop loving around immediately or find another job/hobby.

Yet I've also dealt with another sort of student, who is so focused on perfection as a result that they miss the forest for the trees, which is to say (to use an example of one of my students): if you handle a runway change at a busy controlled airport on your second solo perfectly, and then you have one bounce on landing which is safely corrected, and we discuss what you could do to prevent that next time.... you can't beat yourself up about it, and you need to know that I don't loving care and that ain't what keeps me awake at night.

Worst case scenario, the absolute worst that's going to happen there, is that you have a really bad porpoise, gently caress up the recovery and total the plane and come out with some bruises. Obviously, I would not like that to happen. But if it does, it's not the end of the world. What scares me is the idea of one of my students, one who has passed a flight test, getting into a plane with their spouse and/or kids, and taking off into bad weather and going VFR into IMC, or not looking outside and having a midair, or getting confused by clearances and doing exactly the wrong thing in a busy airspace.

I had a student recently on his third solo, which under our syllabus is the first flight the instructor is not in the plane at any time, and we de-briefed the flight and he said "I went around two times, I didn't feel good about the approaches." I said "sounds like you made at least two excellent choices, don't ever stop going around!" This student is not god's gift to aviation, by a long shot, but I don't worry about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

PT6A posted:

you can't beat yourself up about it, and you need to know that I don't loving care and that ain't what keeps me awake at night.