Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Scholtz posted:

Please, stop the rock.

Can't stop the rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Shai-Hulud posted:

That's the amazing thing about glass blowing and glass art. It looks so amazing and takes real skill and in the end everything it produces is tacky as poo poo.

I got a glass blowing class as a wedding gift for me and the wife. It was... fun and pretty much like that, we made a pumpkin together. And Frankly there was some really good stuff and the the head glass person had made and it was like 500 bucks for something as big as me that looked neat... then I was like, there are small children in my house often as the gremlin niece and nephews come by, don't need that drama.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

i like when they roll it in aquarium gravel

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Scholtz posted:

Please, stop the rock.

Sorry for party rocking.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Scholtz posted:

Please, stop the rock.

Tipper, we've already been over this

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Scratch Monkey posted:

If you blow glass, there are only two things that will make you money: really nice flower vases or bongs. There really is nothing else.
Labware. You can still make a decent living as a glassblower working in a research lab at someplace like Dow.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Cartoon Man posted:

I honestly can’t tell if it’s real or Hollywood magic.

It's manipulation for sure, but impressive stuff. Everyone freaks out about AI this and AI that, but the stuff's been in development for ages (decades?) now, see photoshop auto-fill. Them just being presented to the layman in an easily-accessible way is the novelty, imo.

There was a cool demo video of a guy using similar techs in a bespoke way to find vibrations in factory components and sell the services to the factory as preventative maintenance. It involved setting a camera on a tripod for hours and doing some statistics on sub-pixel variations, then then using the above techniques to render it into a video that shows greatly exaggerated movement, so a human could look at it and tell if the shaking was normal, or if (e.g.) a piece of cement was vibrating with it, indicated a structural crack. I think it was posted in this tread a while back, but I can't find it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Nse07s0.mp4

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Serephina posted:

It's manipulation for sure, but impressive stuff. Everyone freaks out about AI this and AI that, but the stuff's been in development for ages (decades?) now, see photoshop auto-fill. Them just being presented to the layman in an easily-accessible way is the novelty, imo.

There was a cool demo video of a guy using similar techs in a bespoke way to find vibrations in factory components and sell the services to the factory as preventative maintenance. It involved setting a camera on a tripod for hours and doing some statistics on sub-pixel variations, then then using the above techniques to render it into a video that shows greatly exaggerated movement, so a human could look at it and tell if the shaking was normal, or if (e.g.) a piece of cement was vibrating with it, indicated a structural crack. I think it was posted in this tread a while back, but I can't find it.

https://youtu.be/sg0Oqezmibk

It might or might not be a manip but it's certainly within the range of actual displacement.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

GotLag posted:

Looking like poo poo is part of the design brief for expensive art. It proves that not only does the buyer have more money than you, they are also ~sophisticated~ enough to appreciate it (they aren't and it's still poo poo)

I don't like that, but some of his art installations are kind of neat - especially the things that look more like flowers than weird spiky colonies of sea worms.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sekenr posted:

I kinda liked glass arts and crafts they make on Bali

The problem is they make absolute shittons of gorgeous poo poo and when I thought of whats its gonna look like in my luggage after the airlines have their way with it I just laughed to myself

I have no idea how he managed it, but my father bought this geisha doll mounted in a wooden case during a business trip to Tokyo in 1967; thin wood (sandalwood or balsa?) that had full-sized glass panels. Thing was like 2’ tall and maybe 14” on a side and he got it home on a 707 in one piece.

Foxfire_ posted:

Labware. You can still make a decent living as a glassblower working in a research lab at someplace like Dow.

My son is a scientific glassblower. Has made some amazing stuff. Currently laid off - they let 15-people ho right before Christmas.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 12, 2024

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

PainterofCrap posted:

I have no idea how he managed it, but my father bought this geisha doll mounted in a wooden case during a business trip to Tokyo in 1967; thin wood (sandalwood or balsa?) that had full-sized glass panels. Thing was like 2’ tall and maybe 14” on a side and he got it home on a 707 in one piece.

My son is a scientific glassblower. Has made some amazing stuff. Currently laid off - they let 15-people ho right before Christmas.

They could have at least let them ho ho ho.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Serephina posted:

To be fair, you're generally better off just attaching a vibration sensor to the component in question (especially a gearbox) and then doing a fourier transform to figure out what frequencies the vibrations are occurring at. That gives you information about which components are wearing, which in turn can tell you when parts will need to be replaced.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Dirk the Average posted:

To be fair, you're generally better off just attaching a vibration sensor to the component in question (especially a gearbox) and then doing a fourier transform to figure out what frequencies the vibrations are occurring at. That gives you information about which components are wearing, which in turn can tell you when parts will need to be replaced.

This won't tell you that, e.g., the slab has cracked and part of the footing is vibrating along with the machine.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

GotLag posted:

Looking like poo poo is part of the design brief for expensive art. It proves that not only does the buyer have more money than you, they are also ~sophisticated~ enough to appreciate it (they aren't and it's still poo poo)

Honestly who gives a poo poo. If some rich idiot wants to buy a Jackson Pollock-rear end painting or some jellyfish-rear end chandelier to put in their home and will pay an artist a fuckload of money for it, good on the artist. They're more clever than you. And at least they're not making their fortune shorting the housing market, or building bombs for Raytheon.

EDIT: gently caress it, I'll even say good on the artists who get government money to do things like paint a single stripe of orange paint on a giant blue field. It's drops in the bucket compared to corporate subsidies and 'defense' spending.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 12, 2024

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
My stepfather collected art glass. Me, my mom, and my step-sister all learned a lot about glassmaking through him because he was determined to make sure several of us knew the value of his collection. He was a carpenter, so dealing in art glass on the side was his retirement plan. "If I die and any of this poo poo ends up in a loving yard sale, I will haunt you forever," he would tell us. He put a lot of work into learning the ins and outs of particular workshops' processes in the past and present and was a kind of hidden gem amongst these rich goobers that also collected glass. You'd have this old redneck from Maine talking to these fancy lads via email for years, and when he started going to big live auctions later in life, the fancy lads were taken aback at this foul-mouthed, flannel-wearing dude. Every third word out of his mouth was some form of "gently caress," but he knew his poo poo and the smart ones listened to him about purchases way out of his own price range.

When my wife first met him, he showed her his collection. She's an artist (a painter), so he rightly figured she'd appreciate "the finer poo poo." He handed her a little glass bowl about the size of a softball and asked her to hold it up to the light to see the patterns and striations baked into the glass. It has an iridescence both on the outside and on an inside layer, so that its iridescence would change completely in bright light. "That process wrecked most of the fuckin bowls of that type so the workshop discontinued them. Too fragile after the second cooling. They were cracking from the inside-out. If you look...right...fucken....there, you can see a hairline fracture even in this one. There's only about six of them in existence. That one is worth 'bout fifteen grand, even with the fucken fracture."

My wife very gingerly, immediately, put the thing down like it was a time bomb.

Glass is cool as hell. Some of the workshops in the late-19th century and early 20th century were doing some wild poo poo enabled by (then) new toolmaking and chemistry and it's interesting to see them experiment anew with such a weird material with an already long history.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGgdtvWRD5E

How radioactive is my collection of green glowing glass? not very

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I assume art glassblowing involves some hilariously toxic heavy metals?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The Lone Badger posted:

I assume art glassblowing involves some hilariously toxic heavy metals?

I think UV and thus glaucoma is one of the biggest risks. Or at least a significant one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

I think UV and thus glaucoma is one of the biggest risks. Or at least a significant one.

On one of the seasons of that netflix glass blowing show, one of the contestants was actively going blind and doing as much glass blowing as she could before fully going blind.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Mister Speaker posted:

EDIT: gently caress it, I'll even say good on the artists who get government money to do things like paint a single stripe of orange paint on a giant blue field. It's drops in the bucket compared to corporate subsidies and 'defense' spending.
TIL Rabo Karabekian was based on a real painter. I should have figured.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Netflix has multiple seasons of an artsy fartsy glassblowing reality TV/challenge series and in one season one of the glassblowers mentioned that she had poor eyesight to begin with, and her work with glassblowing was only making it worse. More to the topic of this thread, one of the episodes has a guy putting a gloved hand into the bottom of a glass piece in progress to get a hand shape going.

I'd recommend it

e: beaten kinda

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003

Jabor posted:

This won't tell you that, e.g., the slab has cracked and part of the footing is vibrating along with the machine.

Here's a company that does it:
https://rditechnologies.com/

But also here if you want to do it on your own video: https://lambda.qrilab.com/site/

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Even clear glass is fairly UV-opaque. Can’t they wear uncoloured goggles?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Glassblowing flames generally aren’t hot enough to produce appreciable ultraviolet light. It’s the infrared causing cataracts.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

CaptainCrunch posted:

Back with another one of those block rockin' beats!

I always feel the need to share the best version of that song whenever it comes up.

Block Rockin Beats - HOT DANCE 98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0kluTStX_Y

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Platystemon posted:

Glassblowing flames generally aren’t hot enough to produce appreciable ultraviolet light. It’s the infrared causing cataracts.

Ah that’s the stuff, thanks. Knew it hosed up eyes, couldn’t remember how/why.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Computer viking posted:

My partner is a software QA guy, and one of his office mates is a fairly normal dad-stereotype around 40, except that he rides a unicycle to work every day. Including up the stairs inside to get to his office. On the weekends he sometimes changes things up with his penny farthing. And, yes, he does of course use a studded winter tire on the ice.

At least this city has ok bike lanes, and he wears a helmet?

Does your partner work for Vivaldi? Because I either know this guy, or someone very much like him.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

nomad2020 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGgdtvWRD5E

How radioactive is my collection of green glowing glass? not very

my homie just got a uranium glass dab rig

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Mister Speaker posted:

I don't know about that specific painting, but a ton of those sorts of big solid color paintings are actually technically very difficult. The painting series Who's Afraid of Red, Yellow and Blue is a good example. When one of the paintings was attacked and damaged with a knife, the museum paid somebody to restore it. Seems like it'd be easy to fix since it's over 90% solid red, right? But the paints had been specially mixed for it and the person restoring it couldn't replicate the effect: in-person it just looked terrible after the restoration (though TBF it seems like they just rolled over it with red house paint and called it a day). Just because it looks simple doesn't mean it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who%27s_Afraid_of_Red,_Yellow_and_Blue
https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/the-many-deaths-of-a-painting/

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Yes, definitely. If you're the type to explore the deeper meanings for art like this*, IIRC Voice of Fire is basically a monument to the act of painting. There are no visible brushstrokes, or colour aberrations, and it's a perfectly straight orange stripe perfectly centered and level with the frame. What seems deceptively simple is in fact carefully planned and executed to be perfect.

* I didn't mean for this to sound as condescending as it does, just my point is that art for its own sake is perfectly valid.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 12, 2024

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Shai-Hulud posted:

That's the amazing thing about glass blowing and glass art. It looks so amazing and takes real skill and in the end everything it produces is tacky as poo poo.

Thank you, thought I was alone in this opinion.

I love watching glass blowing, it's great. But the more effort they put into something, the tackier it looks when it's done.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

you know for a helicopter crash this is probably best case scenario

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

my homie just got a uranium glass dab rig

This seems like a terrible idea.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Glassmaker glassmaker make me a glass
Something refined
Shape me a flask

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Glassmaker glassmaker make me a glass
Something refined
Shape me a flask

make it so
it can go in my rear end

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Non Compos Mentis posted:

make it so
it can go in my rear end

But for God's sake
Please flare the base

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

This seems like a terrible idea.

Self-heating!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Bad Munki posted:

Dale Chihuly's vision is 50% at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

deoju posted:

Dale Chihuly's vision is 50% at best.

:dadjoke: