Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
He's a total piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Jay Rust posted:

Is Trainspotting2 any good? The first was a formative movie for me as a teen

Also a formative movie for me as a teen, I had the "choose life" speech poster on the back of my bedroom door (you put the naughty posters on the back of the door so that when parents come into your room they don't see it)

I went into the sequel with very low expectations but it's great! Well worth your time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Random rear end note, the throwaway joke in the Barbie movie that NSYNC actually consists entirely of escaped third-string dolls seems out of nowhere but it's probably a reference to one of their most famous music videos being specifically about the band as dolls escaping a toy store.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

The Peccadillo posted:

That defeats the premise. Who gives a gently caress I'm not your proctor

The Peccadillo posted:

Just be honest, people try too hard

The Peccadillo posted:

Wait I kinda get the bad summary critique. I remember talking to someone and I mentioned I just saw Nce Guys and they said I saw that too, it sucked nothing happened. And I didn't understand. The movie happened. It wasn't good, it was cute but a ton of stuff happened.That's just not somebody I'm gonna talk movies with we're not on the same page 'bout it

i legitimately have no idea what the hell you're trying to say

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think it's some sort of code to activate a sleeper agent.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I think the argument is that unless you can articulate your reasoning for something, you shouldn't express your opinion on it. You can hate something, but if you can't say why you didn't like it, your addition is completely unhelpful beyond being a passing aside.

Ultimately, I think the only really valid film critics are finding a small group of perverts identical to yourself and getting your recommendations from them. A mainstream critic doesn't do anything for me, but if a handful of the gross weirdos in the horror thread liked something, that's much more enticing to me than anything else.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the thing about critics is, everyone is one

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I think the argument is that unless you can articulate your reasoning for something, you shouldn't express your opinion on it. You can hate something, but if you can't say why you didn't like it, your addition is completely unhelpful beyond being a passing aside.

life isnt this serious

(not saying you're saying this)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'd rather be around people who think it is, and especially in the context of the arts.

e: And not only that, but aesthetics being as ultimately unimportant as it is, is precisely what makes it worth taking seriously. Having to take politics or ethics or your job seriously is a curse, but actually caring about art is its own reward.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 12, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ok you can be around them no one is stopping you

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

This isn't a conversation about whether you can stop me, it's a conversation about who's right.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly it was better than either Godfather

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gaius Marius posted:

Cats?

probably

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

the most boring thing in the world to me is talking about a movie i liked with a friend, and i'll explain what i liked and why i liked it, and they're just like "yeah idk i thought it was cool"

like OKAY good talk man.

it always winds up being the type of person who never really dislikes anything or has a strong opinion about anything. like nothing is "bad" to them. the spectrum is either "it was alright" (meaning bad) or "i thought it was cool" (meaning good/great/amazing/who the gently caress knows)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just don’t talk about movies with those people. You don’t need to always talk about movies all the time.

I have had someone tell me to my face that their girlfriend didn’t want to invite me to a party because I would ruin the whole party because I would just talk to my friend about movies all night.

Not everyone likes or cares about movies

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i mean totally. i don't talk about most of my passionate interests with most of the people i know bc most people are pretty surface-level-brained about most things in life. which is fine for them, i guess, but not my vibe.

why do you think i post here? which just makes it weirder, though, when a forums poster is like "so what don't think movie is good or bad nothing matters!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'll admit that I have a real hard time knowing when a movie is "bad". Like okay I can recognize cheap sets or incoherent plots or unrealistic dialogue, but plenty of times I'll watch a movie that I think is perfectly well executed, intricate, lavish, well acted, and I'll look up some reviews afterwards and learn that it's been universally panned as utter trash. It's often to the point where the acting has to be Keanu-in-Dracula bad for me to accurately predict that the reviewers will have called out "bad acting" specifically, because beyond that point I apparently literally don't know what bad acting looks like. (Not helped by the fact that every single Oscar for Best Actor has always gone to the leading man/lady, which to me doesn't pass the sniff test; like are you telling me that Lamp Squarejaw over here is actually the best actor in this ensemble of 24 major speaking roles?

But then I think this is a common theme with me, I don't know what makes a "bad" whiskey or a "bad" book or a "bad" piece of music, not unless it's so offensive to my senses that I can't find a single thing bearable about it. I always figure there's just something I'm missing

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The Peccadillo posted:

I don't think you have to be a nerd to differentiate something that looks cool as hell and something similar that looks kinda dumb. It's straight up a thumbs up thumbs down deal. Easy

I think you misunderstood me. Was just musing that I wish I could better articulate what about certain aesthetics 'clicks' for me as perfect. Like, yes, it's very much a gut thing, and no I don't think you have to be a nerd to differentiate something as cool or not. Or even that a person would need to justify it. I feel no need to justify my taste, but want to understand and convey the peak of it better is all.

ShoogaSlim posted:

it always winds up being the type of person who never really dislikes anything or has a strong opinion about anything. like nothing is "bad" to them. the spectrum is either "it was alright" (meaning bad) or "i thought it was cool" (meaning good/great/amazing/who the gently caress knows)

The most enjoyable part of seeing Napoleon was debriefing with a friend afterwards about how mediocre it was and the bits we found awful. Did enjoy a handful of things, mostly how much acting was done through hats.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 12, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Some people desperately need to engage with the more analytic and critical sides of their brains.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!
I'm too busy watching shot on video horror flicks, they're rad.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Data Graham posted:

But then I think this is a common theme with me, I don't know what makes a "bad" whiskey or a "bad" book or a "bad" piece of music, not unless it's so offensive to my senses that I can't find a single thing bearable about it. I always figure there's just something I'm missing

i mean the criteria by which you judge things is a question of values, and that's entirely subjective. but that's just one more reason why the actually-valuable skill is the ability to articulate your aesthetic values and then point to formal elements that support or undermine them, and one more reason why just calling something "good" or "bad" absent a shared context is meaningless

if you share values, then you can potentially convince someone to change their mind through new analysis. if you don't, you can at least come to different conclusions from the same facts, and point out things the other person might not have noticed even if you disagree about their significance.

in practice people tend to assume a shared context and then get mad or self-conscious when they realize there isn't one

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 12, 2024

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Data Graham posted:

Feels like a problem of "bad" movies being such a broad term nowadays. I love low-budget "bad" flicks and movies that are poorly acted, badly written, etc. But then there's stuff like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland that feels like an insult to watch. As someone that loved Carroll's work it was unbearable watching his characters be used in such a generic fantasy plot devoid of any wit and so, so ugly.

Bit more contentious, but I had a similar feeling watching Renfield. Felt like such a slam dunk in terms of casting and general plot, but felt so let down by how awful the script was. Patronizing, dumb, couldn't decide what it was, and not enough Nic Cage having fun to make up for it.

I suppose between those two, to me at least what makes a movie 'bad' is:
1- Knowledge and an expectation that it could be good (Carroll's original work / Igor but as a modern abusive relationship)
2- Failing to deliver that,
3- Playing it as safe as possible so it's not even failing in an interesting way

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

a lot of people will talk about "bad acting" when any part of a performance calls their attention to the fact that it's a performance. this isn't wrong, necessarily, much as i personally think immersion / verisimilitude is kind of a stupid value. you can use it as a lens and judge movies accordingly, and if you do a good job of it your analysis will be perfectly coherent.

but in any case, actually identifying that that's what you care about is both the first step to understanding your own taste and not wasting your time on camp (or camp being wasted on you :v: ) as well as a helpful signpost for anyone who takes your criticism seriously -- whether they agree with you or not.

on the other hand, whether it's out of cowardice, incuriosity, or contempt -- if you're not going to discuss these things, there's not much point in having a discussion at all.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bad acting is when it's Incongruous with the established setting, tone, other actors, or previous scenes. Of course sometimes this is used to effect.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Right, and I know that the criteria I try to use are things like:

Writing: All plot elements are neatly tied up, bonus points for intricate callbacks and subplot resolutions, and every scene feels like it has a specific purpose to the story; Pixar stuff or Gone Girl or etc, whereas Hateful Eight makes me feel unfulfilled because the resolving elements were introduced right at the end, but then again it does explain things nicely so who am I to argue

Acting: It feels like a feat; like pulling something off like the Trial of Tim Heidecker makes me sit up and clap but I couldn't begin to tell you what makes Cillian Murphy deserving of a Best Actor, but you know he'll win

Message: It says something that resonates with me and doesn't make me mad about what it's apparently saying days or weeks later like The Astronaut Farmer, fucks sake gently caress that movie

But that's just me. I know it's all personal and idiosyncratic and we all want different things from our entertainment

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Data Graham posted:

(Not helped by the fact that every single Oscar for Best Actor has always gone to the leading man/lady, which to me doesn't pass the sniff test; like are you telling me that Lamp Squarejaw over here is actually the best actor in this ensemble of 24 major speaking roles?

That's because they also give out awards for "Best Supporting Actor/Actress ". Also, gently caress an Oscar.

On the topic of Bad Acting, it might not be an original observation but Nicolas Cage is one of the best actors of his generation and he's still often derided because he sometimes chooses to employ a different style of acting that ventures beyond the representational schools of performance. I couldn't be hosed arguing with people about it though, IYKYK and if not you're missing out

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Right, and I know that the criteria I try to use are things like:

Writing: All plot elements are neatly tied up, bonus points for intricate callbacks and subplot resolutions, and every scene feels like it has a specific purpose to the story; Pixar stuff or Gone Girl or etc, whereas Hateful Eight makes me feel unfulfilled because the resolving elements were introduced right at the end, but then again it does explain things nicely so who am I to argue
The "Story" is not the end all be all in any work. The emotional tone one can convey in a scene or even just the pure visual splendor can be just as moving or impactful. James Caan or DeNiro staring out at the sea moves nothing along but is utterly necessary to the understanding the viewer has with the character.

quote:

Acting: It feels like a feat; like pulling something off like the Trial of Tim Heidecker makes me sit up and clap but I couldn't begin to tell you what makes Cillian Murphy deserving of a Best Actor, but you know he'll win
Judging a performance by how big it is is discarding every single other tone that an actor can convey except the highest, it's like judging a song by how boosted the Bass is.

I think you need to try harder to engage with why other people find certain performances or scenes moving rather than try to dismiss it as simply other opinions.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

a movie is bad when it sucks, and it is good when it kicks rear end

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

the most boring thing in the world to me is talking about a movie i liked with a friend, and i'll explain what i liked and why i liked it, and they're just like "yeah idk i thought it was cool"

like OKAY good talk man.

ShoogaSlim posted:

like OKAY good talk man.

There are certain types of people whom consider not rocking the boat more important than portraying any contradictory opinions, and they've so ingrained the idea into their psyche that they become unable to actually watch a film. Rather what they do is watch the series of images flash before their eyes and judge each in turn against how the "public" or the "group" will view them. It's a rather dull set of people, and quite annoying to hear talk.

The worst things about the modern world is the psuedodemocraticazation of art, the rise of geek culture, and poptimism which has lead to a morass of people whom have deeply held belief that all art is equal but lacking the actual experience in the deeper ends of art have zero vocabulary, skill, or will to engage with anything outside their narrow comfort zones. Watching or reading and considering the great works is invaluable for rounding out your own opinions, comparing and contrasting why you react to one thing or lash out at another, it gives you ineffably a better ability to dissect and diagnose your own experience with art. People who watch nothing but trash cannot even understand why people deride their experience because they lack basic literacy. When a bunch of Marvelite simpletons rail against Scorsese they aren't doing it in an ironic fashion, they fully believe that whatever slop they watch is actually equal to Taxi Driver or KOTFM, they literally cannot understand that art can be more than a series of tropes, quotes, and flashing images. It's sad.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And you know what, at least we still have it better than in Literature where the lunatics have been running the asylum for decades.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gaius Marius posted:

I think you need to try harder to engage with why other people find certain performances or scenes moving rather than try to dismiss it as simply other opinions.

Yeah I mean you're right, I don't mean to dismiss anything. My usual assumption is that there's something I'm not picking up on, rather than just "everything is subjective". Probably worded that badly.

But that's part of what I'm getting at. I can't ever write something off as "bad" unless it's just utterly incompetent. I'm more often taken by surprise when something is widely maligned than when something is widely celebrated, because I'm way more likely to assume it's better than I'm able to appreciate or understand.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

I haven't seen Godfather but I strongly doubt it's better than Nice Guys

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

The worst things about the modern world is the psuedodemocraticazation of art, the rise of geek culture, and poptimism which has lead to a morass of people whom have deeply held belief that all art is equal but lacking the actual experience in the deeper ends of art have zero vocabulary, skill, or will to engage with anything outside their narrow comfort zones. Watching or reading and considering the great works is invaluable for rounding out your own opinions, comparing and contrasting why you react to one thing or lash out at another, it gives you ineffably a better ability to dissect and diagnose your own experience with art. People who watch nothing but trash cannot even understand why people deride their experience because they lack basic literacy. When a bunch of Marvelite simpletons rail against Scorsese they aren't doing it in an ironic fashion, they fully believe that whatever slop they watch is actually equal to Taxi Driver or KOTFM, they literally cannot understand that art can be more than a series of tropes, quotes, and flashing images. It's sad.

The interesting thing about that kind of movie person is that they automatically assume that anything "high brow" is going to be boring or foreign or have a protagonist who is a bad person. I think the real thing there is that they expect that so-called "great" movies will demand something of the viewer. Paying attention or knowing about foreign culture or being willing to deal with complexity, those are all impositions they fear the movies will put on them. And they don't want that, they do not approach movies as something they interact with. They have fully accepted the concept of "content". They simply want to be supplied content.

But to be honest I also think that group is very small. People who love Marvel but despise Scorsese as a moral position are not a significant population.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

one of my favorite video essays by my favorite movie youtuber ever came out at the beginning of last year, and i think anyone curious about figuring out how to better understand their own inner vision around films as art would be doing themselves a massive favor by giving it a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahHIifcFyqk

on the topic of "big" vs "small" acting performances, another great film youtuber has a few videos about nuanced acting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0mEHhkQRq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eanvN_rNpqY

Gaius Marius posted:

There are certain types of people whom consider not rocking the boat more important than portraying any contradictory opinions, and they've so ingrained the idea into their psyche that they become unable to actually watch a film. Rather what they do is watch the series of images flash before their eyes and judge each in turn against how the "public" or the "group" will view them. It's a rather dull set of people, and quite annoying to hear talk.

in my opinion, based on my interactions with "film normies" it's the opposite. they have no concept of the zeitgeist surrounding movies, which you could say helps them be more unbiased, but actually robs them of having any real understanding of movies as art at all. so it seems like watching a movie is like fulfilling an urge for a midnight snack. it either satisfies or it only just gets the job done. if they feel like watching a movie and it's mediocre, they still saw something moving in front of their eyes for 90-120 minutes. if it was good and it titillated their basic senses, then even better.

this is why marvel is/was(?) dominating the box office. this is why my friend gave wonka 5 stars on letterboxd and the green knight 1 star.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

a movie is bad when it sucks, and it is good when it kicks rear end

That is a film proffesor right there

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 12, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I like Zizek because he's a weird slob with psychosexual thoughts, and that's fun. A nerd who is sponsored by Skillsshare or Nebulon or something not so good a use of time. Watch a movie instead!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d rather make art than talk about it tbh. It’s more fun and rewarding.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

I haven't seen Godfather but I strongly doubt it's better than Nice Guys

Agreed

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

There is a common trend in film discourse, specifically film bro discourse (hello Snyder fans) where the movie is poorly made enough but throws enough random bullshit in there that assholes can collect the ideas they like from the movie they watched because it threw everything but the loving kitchen sink in there and praise the movie that they made up in their head and you end up having to argue against a non-existent glorified fancanon.

Army of the Dead is one of my prime examples of this. By any empirical measurement, that movie is loving terrible, but total dipshits love to go “Ooh but they could be clones! Or it could be a time loop! And and and there’s a zombie society what does that mean?!?!?!” And my constant response ends up having to be “but yeah how is it a better loving movie as a result.” And they can never loving adequately answer the question. It is by far the most irritating form of movie “criticism” I have to deal with, people praising overlong and unfocused and poorly loving made movies because it has this one thing that they liked and it makes an “incredible loving film” basically wholecloth in their heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYuI4SFw4g0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBcFLmu_tlc

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 12, 2024