Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Open Source Idiom posted:

He's quit the role to focus on acting acting, which is probably for the best. The Netflix algorithm seems to like him and he's getting cast in a lot of live action stuff now (e.g. Seven Kings Must Die).

The arc for that series has actually been fairly tight and has a lot of energy to it (despite a dud story or two), and the actor they got to play Valarie (Saifyya Ingar) is also really really good. They have insanely good chemistry with Dudman, and the season's tendency to put the character through the ringer means that they get a lot of chances to give really, really great performances. They're a really good team.

I knew he was leaving (and good on him for finding success, maybe he can be the next live action Doctor) but isn't there still more to be released with him and Valarie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
God, it would be so weird in the funniest possible way for them to cast a Doctor who got famous thriugh impressions of other Doctors. A good weird, but still weird.

I can actually imagine that being a really good casting choice for a 'non-Doctor', like in that one Tennant special.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Cleretic posted:

God, it would be so weird in the funniest possible way for them to cast a Doctor who got famous thriugh impressions of other Doctors. A good weird, but still weird.

I can actually imagine that being a really good casting choice for a 'non-Doctor', like in that one Tennant special.

Make him the next Master, and have him do spot-on impressions of past Doctor's after he took over their body or whatever was happening in Jodie's last episode.

A version of the Master whose got split personality disorder with the past Doctor's in their head.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It wasn’t how he got famous but iirc Tennant did a few parody bits about Who on sketch shows before he actually got cast

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It wasn’t how he got famous but iirc Tennant did a few parody bits about Who on sketch shows before he actually got cast

Where's Rowan Atkinson Doctor then :argh:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Where's Rowan Atkinson Doctor then :argh:

He's pre-Fugitive Doctor.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

At least one Big Finish as well I think, wasn't he a UNIT Colonel in one of the Unbounds?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

At least one Big Finish as well I think, wasn't he a UNIT Colonel in one of the Unbounds?

He's also a nazi in Colditz. I wish there were more BF with him before he got the rike because he was pretty good in those few audios.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
He also plays a upsetting caricature of a mentally disabled man in an audio with Colin and Maggie

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Blu-ray collection continues with Season 15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIBfUAF9otg

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So I decided it was high time I tried and failed to catch up on my Big Finish backlog, but before I jumped back in from where I left off I just did a quick check of my purchases to make sure I hadn't filled in a gap I had forgotten. Much to my surprise, I saw there was an early Colin Baker story from 2002 I somehow hadn't listened to, so I downloaded it and discovered the universe can sometimes be very weirdly in alignment.

The Ratings War
Written by Steve Lyons

This was a feebie giveaway with Doctor Who magazine all the way back in January of 2002. That was 3 years before the return of Doctor Who to television. This 6 years since the television movie (this story included a preview of Invaders from Mars, starring Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor), and 13 years since the show just.... stopped being on television. The result is a bizarre but intriguing time capsule, especially given it's only a 35 minute single episode as opposed to a multi-part story as is the usual Big Finish. It's an episode about the state of television (in the UK at least) in the early part of the 21st Century, with the Doctor effectively playing Sydney Newman pretending to be Mary Whitehouse, and it's very, very, very much aimed at a very particular type of listener (the types who buy Doctor Who magazine!) and trying to get the message out about where you could find what television was no longer giving you: i.e, Doctor Who!

It's also about Beep the loving Meep!

I never read that original comic, so when The Star Beast recently aired in the tail end of 2023, I had no idea of the "twist" coming that readers of Doctor Who Weekly in the 1980s already knew about. So imagine my surprise but also delight to discover that over 20 years ago Big Finish produced a quick short that was in turn a sequel to that comic which The Star Beast would also pay homage to in the current day. Maybe this isn't so much the universe aligning as Big Finish added the audio as a freebie recently to cash in on The Star Beast and that's why I never noticed it before? Regardless, it was kind of wonderful to see how the audio also tried to follow up/adapt a character originally written as a comic that would be so effectively reimagined 21 years later on television... by the guy who saved Doctor Who (twice!) who was still 3 years away from saving it for the first time when this story came out!

At only 30 minutes long, it's hardly got time to breathe, and it has mixed success making effective use of the audio format. There is a fair bit of exposition that feels very artificial to explain actions seen, but you can kind of see why considering Beep the Meep's plans are ultimately foiled by a chaotic sequence where all you hear is shouting, scuffling, screaming and a couple of sound effects with the end result of Beep the Meep's patient planning all coming to naught and exposing it as a monster rather than a cuddy television mascot... but with no idea why until the Doctor smugly explains it all.

The story is simple enough, a television station - it's never specifically said to be Britain, but all the voices have British accents except for the producer who has a (bad?) American one - has been having runaway ratings success with an entirely new focus on the lowest common denominator reality television/"docu-drama" trash, including their news programs turning inward to simply report on the shows and their "stars" instead of actual news. Rival stations have been struggling to keep up, especially as their own stars have an unfortunate habit of having bad accidents that take them off the air, and it's all come to a head with the live finale of their biggest reality show leading into the reveal of the ultimate winner (importantly, we never get told what the show is actually about, what the contestants had to do etc, it's just enough that the show simply "is").

It's not hard to see this as a lament/condemnation of the state of British (world?) television at the time, as it is sometimes easy to forget that "Reality" television didn't use to be the norm. Big Brother, the UK version of which started in 2000, seems the most obvious source, which again has a neat bit of mirroring in the eventual revival of the show having the penultimate episode of the first season a similar setting where the world has been lulled into stupidity by awful reality television including Big Brother.

In THIS story, the Doctor shows up at the television studios seemingly to just be a busybody there to complain to the producer about how crap and dangerous his shows are (Mary Whitehouse) and how they should be educational (Sydney Newman!). That's NOT what he's really there for of course, he's come looking for Beep the Meep, having quickly figured out what was going on and tracking the radiation signature of his gun. Much of the brief runtime of the story is about the Doctor revealing he's constantly been a couple of steps ahead of Beep the Meep while buying time to try and prevent or undo as much of the damage as possible. But even at only 35 minutes it's not a tight story, with a fair amount of what feels like padding as the Doctor and Beep the Meep have a standoff of sorts trying to get or maintain the upper hand on the other, coupled with that artificial exposition mentioned earlier.

As a lampoon of the state of television, it's aged a fair bit, and it's not particularly subtle which is ironic considering how much it lambasts the in-universe show for being so broad and simplistic. But where it truly shines is in, of course, Colin Baker's performance. This is lampshaded wonderfully when - again, hardly subtle - the winners of the Reality Television show are ignored by an already bored audience who eagerly ask to see more of that wonderful fellow in the multi-colored coat! Colin Baker hams it up wonderfully as he proclaims that television isn't for him, it simply can't contain his wonder, and (figuratively) tells people to go buy Big Finish audio stories instead! (it's a good idea!)

Even this gets a neat little in-joke good-natured jabbing at Colin Baker, with the producer assuming that television simply isn't "loud" enough for a figure like the Sixth Doctor. All in all, this was a fun one-off story, quick to listen to, and best of all free on Big Finish! It's a fun historical curiosity both in terms of a lament for television and Doctor Who's apparent permanent divorce from it, and where the future of the show seemed to be going in that rough "Wilderness" period where Big Finish seemed like the only avenue for at least hearing more of the original actors producing new Doctor Who stories. I say it every morning when I wake up and every night when I go to bed regardless, but thank God for RTD!

Index of Doctor Who Write-ups for Television Episodes/Big Finish Audio Stories.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 11, 2024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

He also plays a upsetting caricature of a mentally disabled man in an audio with Colin and Maggie

Oh that bloody awful pair of audios with Leslie Phillips as "some guy with a Tardis".

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

That one person who voted for Season 15 will be over the moon!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

HORROR OF FANG ROCK
THE INVISIBLE ENEMY
IMAGE OF THE FENDAHL
THE SUN MAKERS
UNDERWORLD
THE INVASION OF TIME

Ooh, that's a pretty rough season. Two of those are alright, I guess!

Also lol at the section of the trailer that's just photos of Louise Jameson in the leather outfit looking sexy, they know their audience

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rochallor posted:

HORROR OF FANG ROCK
THE INVISIBLE ENEMY
IMAGE OF THE FENDAHL
THE SUN MAKERS
UNDERWORLD
THE INVASION OF TIME

There's a reason they mainly stuck to bits of Horror of Fang Rock in the trailer. :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Invasion of Time has the greatest Doctor Who scene of all time: the Sontarans vs. the pool chairs.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

The Invasion of Time has the greatest Doctor Who scene of all time: the Sontarans vs. the pool chairs.

Unfortunately it also has the other seventeen hours of The Invasion Of Time.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Rochallor posted:

HORROR OF FANG ROCK
THE INVISIBLE ENEMY
IMAGE OF THE FENDAHL
THE SUN MAKERS
UNDERWORLD
THE INVASION OF TIME

I just started rewatching "The Sun Makers" randomly the other day, and I forgot that it has one of the funnier cliffhangers in part 2 when they're stopped and scared by... a couple of rando guards on a golf cart coming at them slowly down the corridor. Plenty of space to roam, plenty of doors to race for well before the guards get there... but everyone has to just stop and stare for the benefit of the big musical sting. Absolute shades of that bit in the first Austin Powers movie with the one guard and the steamroller.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Class3KillStorm posted:

I just started rewatching "The Sun Makers" randomly the other day, and I forgot that it has one of the funnier cliffhangers in part 2 when they're stopped and scared by... a couple of rando guards on a golf cart coming at them slowly down the corridor. Plenty of space to roam, plenty of doors to race for well before the guards get there... but everyone has to just stop and stare for the benefit of the big musical sting. Absolute shades of that bit in the first Austin Powers movie with the one guard and the steamroller.

I think The Sun Makers is actually pretty good, but yeah even by the standards of the time it looks incredibly cheap. I do like that the Doctor decides "this world fuckin sucks, I'm gonna overthrow it" almost immediately upon arrival, it really sells the level of contempt he has for the corporation on Pluto.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

I love these ridiculous fan service heavy teasers they put at the start of the trailer. What a fun little treat.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

He's quit the role to focus on acting acting, which is probably for the best. The Netflix algorithm seems to like him and he's getting cast in a lot of live action stuff now (e.g. Seven Kings Must Die).

The arc for that series has actually been fairly tight and has a lot of energy to it (despite a dud story or two), and the actor they got to play Valarie (Saifyya Ingar) is also really really good. They have insanely good chemistry with Dudman, and the season's tendency to put the character through the ringer means that they get a lot of chances to give really, really great performances. They're a really good team.

Yeah, Valerie Lockwood might be the best companion that 11th ever had, if we're being honest. I like Valerie better than Amy or Clara. And, honestly, this audio drama series of far has been just as good, if not a little better than Series 5. It might ironically end up being the best Matt Smith season...without Matt Smith. Really depends how they stick the landing in the last volume. Moffat's biggest stumbling block was always his ending. Let's see if Alwfie Shaw can avoid that problem.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

I knew he was leaving (and good on him for finding success, maybe he can be the next live action Doctor) but isn't there still more to be released with him and Valarie?

Yeah, there's one more boxset left (though that was recorded a while ago).

Covok posted:

Yeah, Valerie Lockwood might be the best companion that 11th ever had, if we're being honest. I like Valerie better than Amy or Clara. And, honestly, this audio drama series of far has been just as good, if not a little better than Series 5. It might ironically end up being the best Matt Smith season...without Matt Smith. Really depends how they stick the landing in the last volume. Moffat's biggest stumbling block was always his ending. Let's see if Alwfie Shaw can avoid that problem.

Alfie Shaw's also leaving (has left?) the company.

Apparently Tim Folely's getting an elevated role there, working on some other non-Doctor Who series (Omega Factor, I'm guessing) but there's been a significant exodus these last few years and it's a shame. Scott Handcock went to work with RTD on Series 15/1, James Goss relocated to a cave in Turkey and is more handsoff, David Llewellyn's walked away because he couldn't make a living, and I think Guy Adams has mental health issues.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

Unfortunately it also has the other seventeen hours of The Invasion Of Time.

If you ignore the two sets of villains and pretend it's The Doctor vs the Time Lords, it's a good story. Milton Johns' performance alone is more entertaining than a substantial fraction of the Chibnall years. "Go to... Amber Alert."
[Outraged] "It's an ancillary power station!"

Plus K9 gets to blow things up and otherwise be smugly superior even to the Time Lords. Though I do admit that the Doctor needs to stabilize his pedestrian infrastructure.

I'm also irrationally fond of Image of the Fendahl. The story isn't great but the performances almost save it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SirSamVimes posted:

edit He also looks extremely good in armour. Shame that the show refused to ever use the fact that he is trained with a sword ever again.
A Good Man Goes To War did and it was loving awesome.

To your point, though, we never saw any actual sword fighting.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

A Good Man Goes To War did and it was loving awesome.

To your point, though, we never saw any actual sword fighting.

It would've been great if he just had gladius tucked away somewhere on adventures after season one. Just as a comfort blanket.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Doing my rewatch of Pertwee's era and man, that first season of his is just so good. Even with the padding in three of the season's four stories, they don't really flag or cause me to lose interest.

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.
It is really good, isn't it? Spearhead from Space, asides from looking fantastic as it was shot on film, is a great introduction story and although there's a lot of toing and froing in The Ambassadors ... of Death, I agree there's a single dud story in the whole series. The next series is strong too, but I don't remember much enjoying the Auton story in that, aside from the introduction of Delgado as the Master.

Rochallor posted:

I think The Sun Makers is actually pretty good, but yeah even by the standards of the time it looks incredibly cheap. I do like that the Doctor decides "this world fuckin sucks, I'm gonna overthrow it" almost immediately upon arrival, it really sells the level of contempt he has for the corporation on Pluto.

I watched it recently and found it enjoyably cheesy, even if hampered by the budget ("we're building six suns, but you'll have to imagine what that looks. In the meantime enjoy this model shot of a naff-looking city that we've knocked up."). Calling a money-grubbing alien race the "Usurians" feels like the sort of thing that would be described as typical RTD haminess if it were done today!

Veeta fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 12, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Was doing a model shot like that cheaper than a few nice matte paintings? I feel like a few nice matte paintings would've worked out better.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Veeta posted:

Calling a money-grubbing alien race the "Usurians" feels like the sort of thing that would be described as typical RTD haminess if it were done today!

I think the Pluto setting is also meant to be a pun, based around a common confusion between the roman gods Pluto (AKA Hades, god of the dead and the underworld) and Plutus (god of wealth).

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Was doing a model shot like that cheaper than a few nice matte paintings? I feel like a few nice matte paintings would've worked out better.

I can't really recall many matte paintings in old Who. I do recall a bunch of, and I believe I'm using this correctly, naff miniatures. Maybe the BBC just didn't have a matte painter on staff back then?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Speaking of Pertwee, I got to Arachnids in the UK, in which 13 and the fam run into a Green Death situation and then just... realise the spiders are going to die off anyway, declare that a humane, natural death via slow suffocation is preferable to a quick death by gunshot, and just sort of wander off without bothering to address the underlying problem.

Ma'am, 10 regenerations ago you were clowning on an AI who was doing the exact same thing here and now you won't stick around to thwart an obnoxious Trumpalike you don't particularly care for? Explain please.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 12, 2024

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I often feel that, and I have no idea how accurate this actually is, they often had situations where stories weren't ready to go or there wasn't enough budget for them, so to plug the gap they pad out other stories in the season.

(It's not accurate at all)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Also Richard E Grant got cast as the Shalka Doctor after appearing in The Curse of Fatal Death.

Secream of the Shalka also had an uncredited cameo by one David Tennant as an extra, as I recall, too.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

A.o.D. posted:

I can't really recall many matte paintings in old Who. I do recall a bunch of, and I believe I'm using this correctly, naff miniatures. Maybe the BBC just didn't have a matte painter on staff back then?

From a layman's perspective, miniatures are probably a little easier to teach someone to do quickly, in that part of it is just supergluing bits and pieces of plastic together. You can also reuse a miniature from multiple angles, which is handy when you need to do a dozen establishing shots over four episodes.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

James Goss relocated to a cave in Turkey

Sorry, can you elaborate? I read through his Twitter and there seems to be a lot more interesting tidbits here than I even expected. Arrested? Fined for desecration of a monument?

But I refuse to join Twitter so I can't read any more than his first posts, leaving me even more intrigued

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McGann posted:

Sorry, can you elaborate? I read through his Twitter and there seems to be a lot more interesting tidbits here than I even expected. Arrested? Fined for desecration of a monument?

But I refuse to join Twitter so I can't read any more than his first posts, leaving me even more intrigued

I can't quite remember all the details very well but James Goss lives in a Turkish cave now. It almost exploded because it was full of bird poop but he fixed that and then he discovered a second cave under his cave which meant he almost went to prison for some reason. Cave law. Also one time he dressed as a Cyberman and that was hot.

Okay okay okay technically it's a house with an extensive cave system populated by roughly twenty cats. But the rest is accurate.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

McGann posted:

Goss has bought a house in a village in Turkey. I can’t imagine why, but if he likes it, more power to him.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Edit: I'm a moron who can't read the time, never mind.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 12, 2024

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

James Goss relocated to a cave in Turkey

I thought this was some weird euphemism for being canceled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Yeah James Goss lives in a very not metaphorical cave now. Seems nice!