Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
its true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
blood type stuff is funny cause nobody actually seems to believe it but it's so culturally ingrained into a lot of random shows and stuff as just a slight iconography thing or a joke

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'd say 'oh just like star signs in the western world' but, uh, oops

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
got to scenario 37 of SRW T.

Got to the point where the enemy units will shot out AoE attacks at my units if they're too clustered which is the bane of my existence.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Heero Yuy has now stolen an ambulance, hacked the pentagon,and he's also really suicidal for some reason???

A different kind of gumdam protagonist...
still interesting

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Heero being suicidal is basically a long running joke. Put him in a situation where he doesn't have a defined mission and his next two actions will be to blow up his Gundam and try to kill himself, combined if possible.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

euroshopper posted:

not an idol anime but have you seen ojamajo doremi?

yea its good

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh hell yeah I just found out mlk jr day is a paid holiday for me now with our new contract, love me a surprise 3 day weekend

Hell yeah brother. Union strong.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
At the midway point of Terror in Resonance and I am not in love with it. Feels like a miss from Watanabe.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How's the music? I haven't watched that one yet but Yoko Kanno.

Also I may or may not have started listening to the GITS SAC OST again.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rinkles posted:

At the midway point of Terror in Resonance and I am not in love with it. Feels like a miss from Watanabe.

I think it's directed real well but the script is ultimately pretty toothless. It wants to feel audacious without committing to any audacity. Rare miss from Watanabe imo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Arc Hammer posted:

How's the music? I haven't watched that one yet but Yoko Kanno.

Also I may or may not have started listening to the GITS SAC OST again.

Not bad, but not particularly exceptional or memorable, I think.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/nappasan/status/1745335923435556995?t=RQSqz5TlPS-sW--VtNJ7xQ&s=19

Something neat I've been following is this discussion on how Toei's transfers for several shows in the 90s have ended up giving them distinctive looks despite that not being the intention. I've never seen Sailor Moon look so clear and not tinged red, and while that's the original intended look my brain still says it looks wrong.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I didn't start giving blood until a few years ago, but I thought it was amusing how intensely the Red Cross of Japan markets to otaku to the point they'll send blood drive vans to doujin events like Comiket and Reitaisai and give out posters with anime/manga/game characters with a full 400 mL donation.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Rinkles posted:

It's a bad show

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

leather fedora posted:

I didn't start giving blood until a few years ago, but I thought it was amusing how intensely the Red Cross of Japan markets to otaku to the point they'll send blood drive vans to doujin events like Comiket and Reitaisai and give out posters with anime/manga/game characters with a full 400 mL donation.

reminded me that at my last con there was a Nurse Joy taking volunteer blood samples since she was also a med student and like 70-80 people signed up for it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

she was absolutely keeping that blood for herself

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Rinkles posted:

Terror in Resonance isn’t a great show and I don’t think would be considered a classic, but I appreciate it for Watanabe aiming high despite not quite getting there. I’ll watch it any day over the generic Isekai’s.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

homeless snail posted:

she was absolutely keeping that blood for herself

this being Colossalcon, i'd believe it

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

The Black Stones posted:

Terror in Resonance isn’t a great show and I don’t think would be considered a classic, but I appreciate it for Watanabe aiming high despite not quite getting there. I’ll watch it any day over the generic Isekai’s.

But surely you have a backlog...

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

I mostly like Terror in Resonance as a cool mood piece, except when engrish girl shows up and totally destroys all of that mood

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

frankly i was more interested in the main girl's anorexia and mom issues than the terrorists blowing up malls, which says a lot about terror in resonance's writing

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

always worth checking out also-ran original animes in case people were wrong about them imo, it happens. worst case they still usually have some strong design work and storyboarding.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'll watch this show i like any day over these shows i don't like

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Even if it isn't great, the fact that people still bring up terror in resonance pretty frequently makes me believe that it counts as a classic

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

haypliss posted:

But surely you have a backlog...

Would you believe I have watched shows multiple times? It’s nice to rewatch and see if my opinion changes on things or if I notice something new.

Also I barely keep a backlog for anime. My video game backlog is a different story.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Well I certainly won't be admitting that I rewatch mid. :sweatdrop:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The Black Stones posted:

Would you believe I have watched shows multiple times? It’s nice to rewatch and see if my opinion changes on things or if I notice something new.

Yeah. I came to appreciate and enjoy both sarazanmai and flip flappers more on a rewatch than on my first watch.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Terror in Resonance rules and is absolutely a classic. It's like if the Bebop movie was a tv thriller about kids

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I thought Haruhi was an overhyped middling show when I first watched it. It turns out a billion nerds yelling at you that something is amazing tends to mess with expectations. I watched it years later divorced from the hype and I really enjoyed it and appreciated a lot of the things it did. It’s not a favourite of mine, but I really turned around on it.

I can confirm that Crest/Banner of the Stars also still is cool as hell and people should watch it if they haven’t.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Haruhi, I still feel they could have chopped a few episodes off of Endless Eight and adapted a few of the other LNs in their place but I admire the dedication they put into it at least

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Haruhi, I still feel they could have chopped a few episodes off of Endless Eight and adapted a few of the other LNs in their place but I admire the dedication they put into it at least

i think every episode of the endless eight adds something to the bit except for arguably 6-7 and they work because it feels like you're moving backwards and escape feels more hopeless/impossible

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm gonna die in a blizzard

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

banner of the stars is better than logh

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Endless 8 was some kind of money laundering or embezzlement plot, cause no reason to devote that many episodes to what was a side story that only lasted like one chapter considering anime adaptations tend to only use 3 episodes on average per volume.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not like, a huge fan of Endless Eight or anything, but I think, it was just a bold directorial choice

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the endless eight is a monumental work of art

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

homeless snail posted:

the endless eight is a monumental work of art

absolutely

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I skipped through most of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the fact people still get befuddled or mad enough about endless eight to invent reasons why it happened is proof creating endless eight was the right move