Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

I don't keep up so why do people think Stroman is a shithead anyway, the only thing I know him for is talking crazy amounts of poo poo to Zack Hample which is fine by me

He retweeted some antisemitic poo poo from Kyrie and then when he got called on it doubled down and dog whistled about how it's important to do your own research and understand who REALLY controls the mainstream media narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Braves avoided arbitration with Fried, that surprised me. Still think he’s a lock for the Dodgers next year once they figure out how to restructure a contract throughout multiple planes of reality or back into the past or something

Sydin posted:

He retweeted some antisemitic poo poo from Kyrie and then when he got called on it doubled down and dog whistled about how it's important to do your own research and understand who REALLY controls the mainstream media narrative.

need to figure out just how many high profile ex-Duke athletes are in on this

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Said some stuff supporting Kyrie during his antisemitism thing, I forget what else

:geno: oh

Sydin posted:

I just had the same "oh" moment as the John Wick "I heard you struck my son" scene

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Heyman says 2 years plus a vesting option

Said some stuff supporting Kyrie during his antisemitism thing, I forget what else

Dove into NFTs if I remember correctly

He’ll get along great with Rizzo

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Intruder posted:

I don't keep up so why do people think Stroman is a shithead anyway, the only thing I know him for is talking crazy amounts of poo poo to Zack Hample which is fine by me

Off the top of my head supporting Kyrie’s antisemitism and blamed the media for it including throwing around some “research who controls the media” poo poo. He also has other “like bigoted posts” type things or going hard after journalists on social media who criticize him and starting shitstorms. There’s also other less real world poo poo and more baseball stuff like him just taking shots at the Yankees and guys on the team, or him calling the Mets fans racists; or him just taunting folks in games.

He’s at least an rear end in a top hat. But i also think he’s a self important rear end in a top hat is Kyrie who can’t be told anything and thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room.

Anyway. Maybe Aaron Rodgers will give him a Welcome to New York giftbag.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

It's not like New York City has a large Jewish population or anything.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Stroman on a super reasonable 2 year deal or huge money long term deal for a guy who had a bb/9 of 5 last year

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Two years, $37 million. His option with the Cubs was 1 year, $21 million.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

Stroman on a super reasonable 2 year deal or huge money long term deal for a guy who had a bb/9 of 5 last year

You'd rather have the guy who sucks (and is also a shithead) than a 2 time cy young winner. lol

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

He either way overestimated his market or really wanted to be a Yankee, Frankie Montas got 15m a year and he pitched one inning last year

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
34 years old, small frame who ran out of gas the last 2 seasons. This is Cashman loving up the Yamamoto contract, not being able to make a trade because of poo poo brained prospect hugging and missing the boat on guys like Erod who would've been a FAR better signing. If he starts slowly it's going to get REALLY ugly and you know what... The Yankees deserve that.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

You'd rather have the guy who sucks (and is also a shithead) than a 2 time cy young winner. lol

He has a better ERA+ than Snell in two of the last three years. Yeah Snell won the Cy young this past year but do you believe he's going to do that every year

It's a two year deal on short money. Yeah he's an rear end in a top hat but he's just mouthy

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

the fun thing about Snell is those are the only two good years of his career

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
lmao

https://twitter.com/CardinalsReek/status/1745628829509378130?s=20

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

the fun thing about Snell is those are the only two good years of his career

Yeah Snell isn't a sure thing but I didn't want either of these guys. If you don't give a poo poo about the chracter of the players you bring in just sign loving Bauer.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

:laffo:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Yamamoto was always going to the Dodgers

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
FWIW Stroman also put out what was probably the best player statement in support of LGBTQ+ inclusion last year when everybody else was crying about the sisters of perpetual indulgence.

I don't think he's some secret conservative, he's just a gullible dipshit.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think a fair criticism of Cashman is that he traded away the SP depth for Soto and then banked too much on getting Yamamoto to compensate without a clear plan b or c in play. And I think that arguably is a pattern of him undervaluing the back of the rotation and making moves without complementary moves secure.

That being said the Yankees seem to actively trying to avoid the panic pivot where they give a massive contract to someone like Montgomery or Snell they aren’t certain about or trading away the rest of their prospects for a Cease. They’re trying to fill the SP depth with value. Which the haters will hate but there’s clearly not a better option so gently caress em.

But also gently caress Stroman.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I figured they'd reunite with Monty before going with Stroman but here we are.

Whatever, I have very little interest in many years of Snell, or trying to fix Cease, so I'll take it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I think a fair criticism of Cashman is that he traded away the SP depth for Soto and then banked too much on getting Yamamoto to compensate without a clear plan b or c in play. And I think that arguably is a pattern of him undervaluing the back of the rotation and making moves without complementary moves secure.

That being said the Yankees seem to actively trying to avoid the panic pivot where they give a massive contract to someone like Montgomery or Snell they aren’t certain about or trading away the rest of their prospects for a Cease. They’re trying to fill the SP depth with value. Which the haters will hate but there’s clearly not a better option so gently caress em.

But also gently caress Stroman.

He couldn't get a trade done as usual and he missed the boat on guys like Erod and Wacha or Lynn who would've been far better options than Stroman. NTM he hasn't done enough to improve the lineup and they are till relying way too much on guys who are cooked or injury prone or both. This isn't a world series team.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

In what world is Lance Lynn a better option :lol:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
How many salads has Lynn eaten this off-season? This is important.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lynn pitches good every few years. And he makes nothing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I see we’ve reached the “Cashman couldn’t get Lance Lynn” stage of the offseason.

Sydin posted:

FWIW Stroman also put out what was probably the best player statement in support of LGBTQ+ inclusion last year when everybody else was crying about the sisters of perpetual indulgence.

I don't think he's some secret conservative, he's just a gullible dipshit.

I mean people don’t have to be Team Red or Team Blue. It’s entirely possible to be an antisemite AND pro LGBTQ+. It’s also possible he’s just an rear end in a top hat who thinks he’s smarter than he is, believes bullshit without the sense to see through it, and doubles down defensively when someone tries to set him straight.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

STAC Goat posted:

I see we’ve reached the “Cashman couldn’t get Lance Lynn” stage of the offseason.

I mean people don’t have to be Team Red or Team Blue. It’s entirely possible to be an antisemite AND pro LGBTQ+. It’s also possible he’s just an rear end in a top hat who thinks he’s smarter than he is, believes bullshit without the sense to see through it, and doubles down defensively when someone tries to set him straight.

I mean he also bought hard into NFT's, so that second idea isn't exactly far-fetched.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

stro was really good until he got hurt last year in a weird freak injury then tried to come back too soon and got lit up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

They are really going to regret trading King as I've said before.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
i've said it before and will never stop saying it, everyone who ignores mcmagic is a big doofus because WOW this is some posting

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Lynn pitches good every few years. And he makes nothing.

Lance Lynn is washed

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lynn was basically a batting practice machine last year

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Stroman rocks and I hate this

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

lynn was basically a batting practice machine last year

Stroman was too in the second half. There is a reason why his last two teams didn't even try to bring him back. He's mediocre and an rear end in a top hat.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Stroman is a solid mid-rotation guy and that's a very affordable contract. I don't know why anyone would be upset with that. He was really good last season till he got hurt.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Stroman was too in the second half. There is a reason why his last two teams didn't even try to bring him back. He's mediocre and an rear end in a top hat.

The Cubs are incredibly cheap. That's why. Seems like the Mets had bigger fish to fry.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not upset by the numbers of that deal. Its a perfectly solid mid level deal and signing high upside pitchers at a value beats signing expensive long term deals with guys you don't actually have faith in.

But I don't like adding an rear end in a top hat with a history of bigotry and attacking people on Twitter.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

The Cubs are cheap and the Mets aren't looking for a mid-rotation starter on a short term deal, their horizon is longer than that right now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Stroman is a solid mid-rotation guy and that's a very affordable contract. I don't know why anyone would be upset with that. He was really good last season till he got hurt.

He's mediocre. He's an rear end in a top hat. They should have done better. Cashman had to be more creative this offseason to actually leapfrog the O's.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Is it really "Cubs are cheap" if it was a player option that he declined? And for $4 million more than he'll be making with the Yankees next year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Presumably Stroman though he could secure a better deal. And I guess he did but I think its reasonable to say that in a market where SP is a premium him signing at the same rate as reclamation projects like Montas and Severino probably has something to do with his baggage.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 12, 2024