Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Triggs posted:

Have the devs actually responded to the AA and emulator issues? Or is this going to be typical :dice: where it takes them 6 months to fix the game?

I doubt they'll do anything. Console is there cash cow and console players don't want to be made aware of how bad they are at shooters without assistance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i haven't noticed aim assisters really at all in game, like 1/20th as much as I'd notice it in Apex. idk if this is even being played much by people on consoles. my lobbies are all 95% steam players. Not a lot of beamers in general, either. Only run into one person who was openly cheating. People are still generally so bad at this game/the meta is not figured out that you win matches by playing the objectives in not stupid ways

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 9, 2024

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i think it will become a serious problem if they don't change it in a timely fashion, but yeah right now just queueing quickplay i'm not fighting robot terminator aim yet and people are shooting circles around me like you would expect a human to

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I've only seen one person who was obviously using cheats of some kind, as they racked up 50+ kills in one of the Seoul maps, I got killed by them a few times as they stood on top of the crane and managed to instantly vapourise me through 2 buildings worth of rubble with the AK.

I have bumped into a few players who might be using rewasd or just a controller + AA on PC, as they just had absurdly good aim regardless of all the leaping around and ducking everyone was doing, consistently dropping heavies in less than a second with perfect headshots. They could just be extremely good, I know I have occasionally pulled off some bullshit that has probably caused people to think I'm cheating, or they could be using AA, neither would come as a surprise.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I see at least one person using the rewasd thing in about every ten games. Last one was a sniper hitting everyone as soon as they were visible. Sometimes I notice my teammates using it while watching in the deathcamera.

There was one game where one team all used it and they each had 30,000+ damage score but they quit after they lost the cashout twice in a row lol

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Yeah playing shooters that don't have aim assist and playing this game is a night and day experience for me. And I can only think of one major difference between the titles...

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It is kind of funny when the people with elite aim (assist) lise anyway because they suck at point control or don't know how to deal with heavies charging through walls etc

Anyone know how aim assist interacts with invisibility?

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 9, 2024

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It is kind of funny when the people with elite aim (assist) lise anyway because they suck at point control or don't know how to deal with heavies charging through walls etc

Anyone know how sim assist interacts with invisibility?

Rotational aim assist tracks invis players, you can tell they are there just because you can feel the pull toward them.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Fried Watermelon posted:

I see at least one person using the rewasd thing in about every ten games. Last one was a sniper hitting everyone as soon as they were visible. Sometimes I notice my teammates using it while watching in the deathcamera.

There was one game where one team all used it and they each had 30,000+ damage score but they quit after they lost the cashout twice in a row lol

if people are hitting you as soon as they have los on you that's just cheats

Kwolok posted:

Yeah playing shooters that don't have aim assist and playing this game is a night and day experience for me. And I can only think of one major difference between the titles...

can you record one of your games where you're running into these enhanced beamers because I'd be very curious to see what you're running into because it's so different from my experience. ime this game has been probably as clean as any fps that I've played in ages

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 9, 2024

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Herstory Begins Now posted:

if people are hitting you as soon as they have los on you that's just cheats

can you record one of your games where you're running into these enhanced beamers because I'd be very curious to see what you're running into because it's so different from my experience. ime this game has been probably as clean as any fps that I've played in ages

I can though without kill cam it can be pretty hard to tell anything. I think it's easier to just go to random low count viewers on twitch and look for people who have controller bindings on their screen.

https://www.twitch.tv/valik_______

I suppose it's possible someone like this is legit (edit: nevermind there is zero way this guy isn't using recoil scripts at the very least), but realistically I'm seeing virtually no recoil when he uses the FCAR and his movement and tracking seems about super human for a 100% roller.

This is inherently the problem with "soft cheats". It makes it considerably less obvious than straight up hacks and because of if it's lower barrier for entry, far more common.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 9, 2024

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

They nerfed the aim assist and are trying to block remappers (aa on mkb) it seems:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2073850/view/5797888151157058721

quote:

Aim Assistance

Zoom Snapping Angular Velocity now has a max cap, preventing unintended rapid 90-degree turns.
Camera Magnetism will be reduced to 35% from 50%, making player aim less sticky and lowering controller accuracy.
Zoom Snapping Time will be reduced to 0.25s from 0.3s.
Zoom Snapping will be removed from the SR-84 Sniper Rifle, Revolver, LH1, and all Shotguns, as it buffs them more
than other weapons.
Aim assist will ignore invisible players, fixing a bug with the existing system.
Clients running key re-mapping programs on PC will not have access to aim assist.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Seems like it's targeted specifically at rewasd and the like. Good.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

amitlu posted:

They nerfed the aim assist and are trying to block remappers (aa on mkb) it seems:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2073850/view/5797888151157058721

hell yeah

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Oh wow. I had AutoHotKey running for something unrelated and the game throws an error at the title screen and closes out. Seeing as this game has fixed recoil patterns that can definitely be defeated by scripts this is a very welcome change.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Wow that's huge. I'm curious to play now and see how much better it feels.

It's loving crazy that magnetism was 50%...

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 11, 2024

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Kwolok posted:

I doubt they'll do anything. Console is there cash cow and console players don't want to be made aware of how bad they are at shooters without assistance

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

I loving love to be wrong here. Can't wait for console players to start complaining hard that they need input based matchmaking now that they lost 50% magnetism and over 90 degree snap turning lol

The finals just did what Apex couldn't do for years and Apex only just recently even acknowledged it and stated it would take years to change. The finals dev team just said "Imma just do it now".

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, previously dev's on other games have just said "gently caress you, deal with it" so its not a surprise people's faith wasn't high.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Embark stays winning

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Supposedly there's another, bigger, update next week with new content. Curious what it'll include.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Wow this is great, I'm glad they're taking this issue seriously. Props to Embark for listening.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Kwolok posted:

Wow that's huge. I'm curious to play now and see how much better it feels.

It's loving crazy that magnetism was 50%...
the "magnetism" I think was rotational aim assist which I measured at 50% on release

for reference, cod has 60% on sprinting targets and maybe 45% on hipfiring targets. apex is 60% (!) on console and 40% on PC.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lol that it's remarkable a game dev would do this

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

comedyblissoption posted:

Imagine being so trash at the game that even very generous aim assist can't save you.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

AA players in shambles.

Edit: I have played about a dozen games so far today (Because I am a piece of poo poo) and I have to say it feels night and day different. There aren't random weirdos miraculously having double the damage as everyone else in the server. Feels really good!

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 11, 2024

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

35% RAA plus snap-on might still be unbalanced in close range automatic weapon duels. in apex 40% w/o snap-on and zero AA at point blank is an insurmountable cliff between equal players on the skill distribution of their inputs at close range. true balance might require different levels of RAA depending on distance to target, since RAA becomes much less impactful at distance.

still, it's really promising that they are willing to make dramatic changes to AA on short timescales between beta and release and have systems in place to look at balance.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I hope this means they would actually consider input based MM.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

35% RAA plus snap-on might still be unbalanced in close range automatic weapon duels. in apex 40% w/o snap-on and zero AA at point blank is an insurmountable cliff between equal players on the skill distribution of their inputs at close range. true balance might require different levels of RAA depending on distance to target, since RAA becomes much less impactful at distance.

still, it's really promising that they are willing to make dramatic changes to AA on short timescales between beta and release and have systems in place to look at balance.

The real problem with rotational is the instant directional change. It's good they nerfed it but as long as it still reacts instantly (as opposed to delayed like it was in the beta) it'll still be very strong. Mnk players just can't ever match that in fights and it gives a huge DPS advantage when a real human has to take 200ms to react but the AA doesn't and keeps hitting on every strafe switch.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

even though rotational is instant, there is a certain X% amount between 0 and 40% that is balanced enough. keep in mind sticks are inferior as a raw input.

in r5 client apex tests between good players it could be as low as 15% before it gets balanced.

there are other systems like bullet magnetism, enhanced slowdown, lower recoil, etc. that could also be looked at to achieve parity. they did some crazy whacky poo poo in the beta, so the dev team is definitely still in the experimental phase.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The two things I want from this game right now are the ability to queue for any mode in quick play (as in, I don't care if I do quick cash or bank it, just put me in a game) and something to spend the free currency on once everything is unlocked.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Glad my obnoxious player reporting wasn't for nothing - thank god they finally fixed it, I was really about to give up

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

even though rotational is instant, there is a certain X% amount between 0 and 40% that is balanced enough. keep in mind sticks are inferior as a raw input.

in r5 client apex tests between good players it could be as low as 15% before it gets balanced.

there are other systems like bullet magnetism, enhanced slowdown, lower recoil, etc. that could also be looked at to achieve parity. they did some crazy whacky poo poo in the beta, so the dev team is definitely still in the experimental phase.

You literally cannot achieve parity on any system where one side has assistance and the other does not. The only possibility for parity between controller and kb/m is a controller with no AA and gyro controls.

Even still, input based match making please.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i'd like to see what a dev trying to actually balance the inputs could accomplish

let them cook

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i like having crossplay cause not only does it increase the lifespan of a multiplayer game, but it also allows me to play these kind of games with my non-pc gaming friends

much prefer Embark trying to balance out the platforms than just giving up and keeping everyone separate

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i like having crossplay cause not only does it increase the lifespan of a multiplayer game, but it also allows me to play these kind of games with my non-pc gaming friends

much prefer Embark trying to balance out the platforms than just giving up and keeping everyone separate

I don't think anyone is saying that cross play or cross input shouldn't be a thing but you should be allowed to opt out of it if you want. A lot of games do this already with crossplay, so just do the same thing for input. Crossplay was alwyas opt-out was always just a bandaid for input based matchmaking anyhow.

The finals is a month old and still seeing ~50% player retention which is actually shockingly good. There are more than enough players on steam alone to allow for input based matchmaking wtihout loving up queue times or anything.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I guess I must have been unknowingly fighting the AA somehow, because I played a couple matches tonight and it feels way easier to hit my shots on controller than it did pre-patch. :iiam:

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

How do you tell if it’s balanced? It seems like player skill is always an X factor you can’t really account for, and I’d believe that people playing one input type vs the other systematically differ in some ways which effect skill on average. It feels like qualitatively you could tell (and eg if pros are switching to a new input method they have never used before because of AA that’s probably a clear sign) but curious what testing they’ve done

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

on the r5 apex client i think they just dm'ed with different values

this is a rough chart someone made in halo before they added AA to mnk:

a decent first pass would probably just compare accuracy rates at different ranges and adjust values until you get controller to be a smidge better at different skill ratings

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
God drat games today were great. It felt like a totally different experience. I only had one round with someone who seemed "too good".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

on the r5 apex client i think they just dm'ed with different values

this is a rough chart someone made in halo before they added AA to mnk:

a decent first pass would probably just compare accuracy rates at different ranges and adjust values until you get controller to be a smidge better at different skill ratings

Oh wow that’s really stark. I guess it’s 50th percentile of controller players, not all players? Otherwise you’d be surprised that both the controller and MnK player are at the 50th percentile given one is so much more accurate.

The stuff when you get to the top 100 though seems rly hard to get around thinking about it- I think you’d have to assume everyone that high is probably at the cap for how good you can be and it’s rly just input method.

tildes fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 12, 2024